Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims: Why we need "interests" to return.

bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
edited May 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
One of the biggest problems that I see with the Sims 4, is that there is nothing that really dictates gameplay apart from, well, me. While that may be good in some respects, I would prefer a balance of my directions & the personality of the Sim to dictate what happens in game.

I’ve seen many people mention that we need more depth to the Sims, because all of the Sims in the game tend to turn out the same. They react to things in the same way, they have no real defining characteristics (apart from how they look and dress) that sets them apart from one another.

Here’s my idea for how to add that depth: We need the Sims to have interests.

In the Sims 1 and the Sims 2, each Sim had an interests panel. These interests differed slightly between games.

In the Sims 1, the categories were:

Adult Interests:

Travel, Money, Politics

The 60's, Weather, Sports

Music, Outdoors, Exercise

Food, Parties, Style

Hollywood, Technology, Romance

Child Interests:

Toys, Aliens, Pets

School, Weather, Sports

Music, Outdoors

More information: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Interest

In The Sims 2, we had:
Sims-2-Interest-Panel.jpg

These interests dictated how well the sims would get along with other Sims – if they could have a decent conversation, if they were compatible as friends or romantic interests. The player had the power to change a sim’s interests through various gameplay elements, like reading magazines and sharing interests with other sims.

In the Sims 4, basically nothing dictates this aspect of the game. Anyone can get along with pretty much anyone, as long as they’re in a positive emotional state. This isn’t fun. There is fun in the challenge of finding compatible sims for your sim to get along with. There is fun in having sims disagree. If I tell my Sims 4 sim to argue, what are they arguing about? In the Sims 1 and 2, an argument would most likely be based on opposing interests.

In my ideal Sims game, interests would dictate:
  • What my sim wants to do (with an upgraded wants system, #WhimsSuck)
  • Who they get along with, and who they don’t
  • What hobbies they’d like to pursue
  • What mood they’re in – i.e. if a Sim loves sports and is engaging in sports activities, they’re happy. If they hate sports and they’re engaging in those activities, they’re unhappy
  • What direction expansion packs, game packs and stuff packs would take – each of the categories could provide a framework for exploring further gameplay. You could have a “Living the High Life” EP which centres around politics, money, business – uptown apartments, custom careers and objects for my Sims who are interested in that life. You could have a “Schools” EP where we could build our own custom schools that focus on sports, drama, magic, the arts, etc. You could do an Environmental pack (hello, Eco Lifestyle) which focuses on that element of things. So on, and so forth.
  • Interests could also interact with traits. There could be traits such as “stubborn”, or “open-minded”, or “traditional” / “old-fashioned”, “artistic”, etc etc, which then interacts with interests. A stubborn sim could be very opposed to accepting new ideas about the world or changing their interests, whereas an open-minded Sim could be ready and interested in looking into new ideas. You could also make is so that “charismatic” sims or “schmoozer” sims were better at sharing their interests with others.

With The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle coming out soon, I find myself thinking – Okay, but what is going to dictate if my Sim cares about the environment, or not? A trait? You know what would be better? An INTEREST score. Will every Sim in the neighbourhood be ready to hear what I have to say about the environment? What if there were some Sims who slammed the door in your face? Now that’d be funny.

Imagine the possibilities: if my Sim has a low environment interest, they walk outside into the smog and trash, and they’re just fine and dandy. They don’t care.

If my Sim has a high interest score, they could react in different ways:

- As a self-assured Sim, my Sim could become determined to provoke change in the neighbourhood, go door-knocking and clean up the streets.
- As a shy Sim, my sim could feel sad, or anxious about the situation.

So on, and so forth.

Let’s look at other aspects of the game:

If my Sim has a high interest in school or education, they would want to go to University and do well. They would be devoted to their studies, would get grumpy / anxious / angry if they fail. If they have a low interest, school could make them bored, or uncomfortable.

If my Sim has a high interest in weather, they could become excited at thunderstorms instead of tense. They could want to go outside and play in the snow, or host season-themed events like pool parties and outdoor BBQs.

If my Sim has a high interest in Hollywood, or culture, fashion, fame and fortune, they may want to pursue a path of fame and fortune.

Animals interest… they want pets.

So on, and so forth.

This is the kind of gameplay depth that I want to see in a Sims game.

A cohesive interplay of Character Traits + Interests + Aspirations / Careers, which dictates how my Sim reacts to different people and situations, and what my Sim wants do to (AND doesn't want to do... fears are important!!) so that each Sim is truly unique.

If this is not possible for the Sims 4, I hope that it will be considered for the Sims 5.

Thank you for coming to my Ted-Talk. Please feel free to leave any of your own thoughts below.

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    I think they have some sort of interest system built into the game as some sims can talk about certain activities.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    for a second, I thought you were talking about loan interest judging only from title which i despise. anyway i would like to have sims specific interest and hobby to spice up the gameplay and make them more unique as to not make everyone racing to nearby computer.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I wouldn't mind interests if we were able to choose them ourselves. I hated that in Sims 2 you were given them by default.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yes......
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    all for it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Great post, I agree entirely!

Interests just added so much depth to Sims, making them feel really intelligent. I have a lot of fun cultivating different interests for certain Sims I play with in The Sims 2 and then seeing how it drives them autonomously. They'll talk about it with other Sims, roll wants and autonomously do things pertaining to the interest, and they'll even dream about it.

Bringing that back along with hobbies could really make The Sims 4's Sims feel unique from one another. And it's sorely needed with the lackluster, recycled trait system of TS3 and the broken emotion system.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited May 2020
    The Sims 4 could never..... and never will, because devs don't be seem doing anything to change Sims over the past, what, 6-7 years?!? I lost count, but that's still a lot than a year or two.

We are even suggesting this stuff here, when all gurus are hustling on twitter? Feedback always seem to be looked in poles and stuff like that doesn't involve forum communication.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I would really love this. It's been one of the things I've been asking for every time we're asked about what more the game needs. And your examples make me even more convinced. Those sound fun.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I totally agree with this. We definitely could use some interests, and traits that work with this game.

I have had (since the beginning) sims with no souls :s
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    I wouldn't mind interests if we were able to choose them ourselves. I hated that in Sims 2 you were given them by default.

In The Sims 2, you can actually really easily change them if you use the testingcheatsenabled cheat... you can literally just click and drag over the interests to change the levels haha.

But yes, I'd love to be able to set them in CAS!
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Great post, I agree entirely!

Interests just added so much depth to Sims, making them feel really intelligent. I have a lot of fun cultivating different interests for certain Sims I play with in The Sims 2 and then seeing how it drives them autonomously. They'll talk about it with other Sims, roll wants and autonomously do things pertaining to the interest, and they'll even dream about it.

Bringing that back along with hobbies could really make The Sims 4's Sims feel unique from one another. And it's sorely needed with the lackluster, recycled trait system of TS3 and the broken emotion system.

Yay! I'm so glad that you agree. 😊

I just feel like we really need SOMETHING to make the Sims in TS4 feel unique. In TS2, I love playing the sims very much according to their interests - it gives so much more direction to the gameplay. Like if I'm not sure if a sim should do something or not, I can easily check their interests to help make the decision. It's so handy!

When I play a large family in TS4 (which is of course my go-to gameplay) I'm usually bored by generation 2 or 3 because all of the sims are the same as the previous generations. I'd so love to have them actually be different.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Aren't traits the interests in this game?
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited May 2020
    YES PLEASE.

Every Sim is basically an identical twin. save for some don’t randomly do push-ups. I’d loooveee for traits and personality and whatnot to direct the course of their lives more than whatever button I push. Right now, every Sim can do the same exact things and accomplish the same outcomes no matter what their traits are. I want Sims so different that they’re bound to turn out different ways. Right now the only exciting moment is when they grow up from same-acting/same-looking kids and you can at least see what they actually look like and give them a clothing personality. Grrrr.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    The graphics and Sims themselves of TS2 might be bad (and provided, I've only been playing TS2 since I found a physical copy in January locally), but in my opinion, but the personality and behaviors of Sims are the best developed of any. In later games, the push to introduce "bigger and better" new features, plus the original plan to have TS4 be online put the Sims themselves by the wayside.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Aren't traits the interests in this game?

Not really... I mean, the traits are not great lol, and a lot of them are closer to an "interest" than a "personality trait".

I see interests as something that should span effect every sim - so every sim could be interested or disinterested in these topics, for much deeper personality and gameplay interactions.
    cody6268 wrote: »
    The graphics and Sims themselves of TS2 might be bad (and provided, I've only been playing TS2 since I found a physical copy in January locally), but in my opinion, but the personality and behaviors of Sims are the best developed of any. In later games, the push to introduce "bigger and better" new features, plus the original plan to have TS4 be online put the Sims themselves by the wayside.

I'm so glad that you've started playing the Sims 2!!

I'm still not tired of it and I've been playing since it released haha. I do have a lot of CC and mods though...

The Sims 2 just proves that you don't actually need the best graphics ever to have a fantastic, engaging simulation game. Stardew Valley too - these games aren't ground-breaking in their graphics, but the story-lines and interactions and gameplay suck you in so much and you just get used to how things look.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

I agree. I did like the interests from Sims 2 but if they make a comeback in some way, then I'd prefer them to be something I can choose. My Sims 2 sims never really felt like they were 'my' sims, if that made sense. Too much was chosen by the game with no way (aside from mods) for me to change that.

In the meantime, I tend to use the traits to formulate interests. I do this in Sims 3 too and the traits, combined with their skills, have made it quite easy for me to simulate an interests system.

So yes. I'd love to see such a system; as long as I could determine their interests. Right now, all my Sims 4 sims feel like they're 'mine'. Personally, I'd like to keep them that way! :D
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png