Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Living is just Island Living and Tiny Living

The new EP takes sucking a franchise dry to a new level. Its focal point is really just what IL was and the features of the three packs could have easily been combine into one. The Sims 4 has been a game where you need to buy at least two packs to make a whole (think Dogs and Cats and Tiny Pets or whatever) but I think Eco Living hit a new low.

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,543 Member
    That's strange, cos I own both island living and tiny living and neither of them has all the stuff that's coming in eco living :D

I thought island living's focal point was living in a tropical paradise with mermaids, and tiny living's focal point was on being able to fit stuff in a tiny house.
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    That's strange, cos I own both island living and tiny living and neither of them has all the stuff that's coming in eco living :D

I thought island living's focal point was living in a tropical paradise with mermaids, and tiny living's focal point was on being able to fit stuff in a tiny house.
    It’s pretty clear that all three packs could have been combined into one. The conservationist career/cleaning up Sulani were a big part of IL and tiny houses are known to be eco-friendly.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,543 Member
    They probably could have combined elements from all three into one pack but a lot of things would then end up being missing.

I am happy to have got all the features we have from the previous two packs and looking forward to finding out more about all of the eco living features.

Of course, they are not going to be able to please all of the people all of the time, maybe the next pack will be something you will enjoy more?
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    In an ideal world all the packs with overlapping themes would have been combined and we would have been able to buy everything for 150 bucks or so. But unfortunately there are budgets for each pack and the content is limited by that. And yes, technically it's a "cash grab" because that's what companies do, they want your cash. And big companies want/need to appease their shareholders, but it's also to develop new content, new games and to pay their employees. (And that's where peoples' paychecks come from, which other companies are already grabbing for as soon as it hits the bank accounts.) When you know everything about a pack and still think the content is not worth your hard-earned cash the best thing is not to buy it. That's why I don't own and will never own the MFP stuff pack. That does not mean players shouldn't voice their opinion! For example I have seen that some Simmers are trying to get a hashtag going on social media (I think it's #listentoyourcommunity), but my point is that the amount of content in each pack will always be limited by budgets. From what I know so far about this pack, I think it offers a decent amount of new content and ideas (producing beverages, crafting sellable items from trash, community spaces), but I will wait for more info to see whether it's worth full price, getting on sale or best to not buy at all.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Even if they could combine let's say tiny living and eco lifestyle. Island living is very different since it's focus is on living on an island and not being eco friendly. The conservationist career was just an add on to the pack.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    This is Like Saying that City Living, Get Famous, Moschino Stuff, Tiny Living and Vintage Glamour Stuff should be in one pack because they all feature high and rich sims ifems even tho they are not the primary focus or the sole feature of the pack.

And really Tiny Living = Eco friendly? I don't understand the logic. In my country a lot of Tiny Houses are not Eco friendly and in fact some Contribute to pollution(Sadly), however the benifits in the game such as closer relationship exist. But still what is the conection?

If Island Living, Eco Lifestyle and Tiny Living was combined let's be real, Mermaids will not exist, Pollution wont affect all worlds, and tiny Houses would not have tiers. Since they will all fight for the fescources of the devs.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    This is Like Saying that City Living, Get Famous, Moschino Stuff, Tiny Living and Vintage Glamour Stuff should be in one pack because they all feature high and rich sims ifems even tho they are not the primary focus or the sole feature of the pack.

And really Tiny Living = Eco friendly? I don't understand the logic. In my country a lot of Tiny Houses are not Eco friendly and in fact some Contribute to pollution(Sadly), however the benifits in the game such as closer relationship exist. But still what is the conection?

If Island Living, Eco Lifestyle and Tiny Living was combined let's be real, Mermaids will not exist, Pollution wont affect all worlds, and tiny Houses would not have tiers. Since they will all fight for the fescources of the devs.

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines. Island Living was bad, we can all agree on that, but that doesn't mean it should be combined with another Expansion Pack just because they have some similar features. It still had decent gameplay, even if there was no depth to the little there was. And even though they're the worst occult, I still like to play with mermaids every once in a while, which would definitely not exist if Island Living was combined with two other packs.

Tiny Living is worth the $10 it costs, and it doesn't have eco-friendly aspects (unless you count lower builds which... why?). No point.

Eco Lifestyle is already worth the $40 in my opinion. It has been confirmed that pollution will spread to every world except the three where it makes no sense, which are Strangerville, Granite Falls, and Selvadorada. It has been confirmed that we'll be able to pause pollution progress, meaning it allows play in a dirty, disgusting world and a beautiful, thriving ecosystem, or to not have it paused at all and let the world change through gameplay.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I don't think Island Living as a whole should have been merged with this pack, but if they already agreed on Eco Lifestyle back then by any chance (which they probably did since EPs usually take more than a year to make and IL was released in less than a year), they should have left the conservation career to EL cause well... It fits perfectly with the pack's theme, and added something else to IL instead that fits island life more (many suggest they should have made mermaids more fleshed out, would have been cool).

So I just think they should really plan these pack features more thoroughly so we don't get too many overlapping themes cause well... It does cause backlash.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    You can't merge two EPs. It's ridiculous. The main problem with Island Living is that they couldn't work out how to add swimming into older worlds without breaking old saves, but apparently they're working on it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    They did say it does not require any packs to play Eco.

Not sure if the pollution machine (which worked also as a gardening thing prior?) and any of the items they refurbished, were in a pack? If so, they will be base game now because Eco doesn't require any packs (or does that mean they won't be using that then?)

Confused :s
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    After hearing about the conservationist career in Island Living I was quite excited about it until I learned the effects of the island being pristine would be permanent rather than happening again if our Sims didn't do anything to keep the eco system from reverting back to it's previous state. My understanding of the environmental changes in Eco Lifestyle is the world will stay clean only if our Sims continue to do the work that will keep the world from becoming polluted again. Same concept is in both packs, but the outcomes are quite different. Yes, it has taken three years to flesh out the concept of an eco lifestyle, and we have seen bits and pieces of it scattered across several packs and updates. Frankly, once Island Living was released, I assumed the teams were finished with the concept and would move on. But with Eco Lifestyle, the teams have added another layer to the gameplay that was introduced in IL, making it feel more real which gives Eco Lifestyle a lot more playability and options for the players. We will be able to choose how much or how little we want the worlds to change. This is especially interesting when the pollution can be added to all the worlds except Strangerville and the destination/vacation worlds. For the first time in the Sims franchise, our Sims and what they do, will have an impact on their entire world rather than only the environment inside their homes. When I bought IL I believed this would be how the conservationism would be handled, but it wasn't. And my disappointment in that pack ran deep. I was very vocal about that sad fact. But the information I am seeing now from the gurus seems to be pointing in the right direction, and is everything I had hoped to see in Island Living.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Please share your Tiny Living solar panels and wind turbines! I'd love to see them.

Can you tell me where to find the candle making station in Island Living? I can't locate it.

Where is the setting to allow my Conservationist to clean up Oasis Springs? I'm not seeing it in my game.

/sarcasm

The themes may be complementary. The content is not identical. As always, if the pack does not interest you, don't buy it.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think Wind Turbines and Solar Panels exist so that somebody using Off The Grid can still use electrical items.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don't get how people keep using Island Living conservation interchangeably with Eco Living. There can be grey areas, yes, but when it comes to IL conservation, it is about preserving a natural habitat - maintaining biodiversity, protection of a species and helping an ecosystem thrive. I mean, look at the Island Living world. It is full to the brim with nature. It is about protecting that bit of paradise, as nature intended. Sims don't directly change their lives to save it, but they learn about it and encourage it to grow.

Eco Living, as the trailer portrays and from what I understand, is about humans making changes in their own lives/habitats to ensure the good health of the environment.

It is hard to put into words, but there is a difference.

giphy.gif
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I don't get how people keep using Island Living conservation interchangeably with Eco Living. There can be grey areas, yes, but when it comes to IL conservation, it is about preserving a natural habitat - maintaining biodiversity, protection of a species and helping an ecosystem thrive. I mean, look at the Island Living world. It is full to the brim with nature. It is about protecting that bit of paradise, as nature intended. Sims don't directly change their lives to save it, but they learn about it and encourage it to grow.

Eco Living, as the trailer portrays and from what I understand, is about humans making changes in their own lives/habitats to ensure the good health of the environment.

It is hard to put into words, but there is a difference.

I completely understand they seem different to me. Like without Sulani and the whole living on an island feel, the conservationist career wouldn't make any sense. Since it's about protecting that ecosystem. This career would also make sense in packs like jungle adventure or outdoor retreat where there is a lot of nature and their environments is different from most sims 4 worlds.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Off the Grid lot trait was released for base game, in the Island Living pre-patch. People began asking immediately to see it receive more robust development. It looks as though we will be getting that, but obviously we won't know all of the details until the developer livestream, when they have promised to go into the interfunctionality with Off the Grid in depth.

However, what we already know from the information released is that Sims will have reduced bills from using solar or wind power, regardless of their home being tiny or not, off the grid or not, in Sulani or not. These aren't Tiny Living features. These aren't Island Living features. Do they tone with those packs? Absolutely. Do they require those packs? No, they don't.

Is my Conservationist called on to help draft environmental policy? Yes. Is he required to engage with others in his community to plan a coordinated effort to accomplish that? No. The community lot is entirely new, usable anywhere (Conservationists really are kind of restricted to Mua Pel'am, and I don't expect that to change), and involves a group process - a realistic touch that makes any RL activists who have ever faced the harsh reality of consensus decision-making to break out in a cold sweat (and I mean that in the nicest way possible, but I hope the process is challenging).

This is new territory. Literally as well - the dockside areas of Evergreen Harbor look unlike any environment we have to play in yet. I love the slightly gritty, industrial feel. And I have hoped to have a Pacific Northwest sort of world for a while (I still miss Moonlight Falls). Tiny Living didn't have a world. Island Living gave us the lush environs of Sulani, but for those of us not blessed to live in the South Pacific, it's an exotic rather than a homely environment.

We have yet to see any of this in play, and I think it's premature to judge. I do welcome the chance for crossover among packs - I actually do want an eco-friendly, Off the Grid tiny house, that is I plan to overlap and combine elements in my own play - but I also feel that there is plenty here that is entirely new, and not currently available in any pack we have had to date. That's like objecting to Spellcasters because we already have Vampires. Apples and oranges. Can't we just be happy that the produce section now offers both?