Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying physical copies - can I get digital download in Origin?

I've got most of my expansions in physical copies. I'm considering buying some stuff packs on sale in a store, but I need to know if Origin will let me install through their portal if I have the physical disc? Do I need to install through disc and then later redeem it on Origin, or can I simply use the codes for the game in Origin and never use the actual disc?

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    If you buy a new disc copy of a pack, you can register the code in Origin or on the old Sims 3 site without having to install anything. Then you can download from Origin if you want. Just make sure you're buying new sealed copies of the packs you want; it might be a good idea to open them in the store and check whether the codes are inside the cases.

Origin is supposed to be able to manage a mix of disc and digital installs, but in practice, it doesn't always work out. So if you're stuck with an Origin install anyway, it's better to download everything rather than installing via disc.
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    Thanks! Then it was sorta how I remembered it, haha. I couldn't remember if I had done something special to grand access to the installs etc.

Just wish Origin would have more sims 3 sales. I would love to buy the packs through Origin but I'm not paying full price for a 9 year old expansion.
  • KpoiKpoi Posts: 32 Member
    If you don't have the codes, I've had it where support will add it to my account if I do something to prove it's mine. Ex. Writing on a disc with the date and so forth.