Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Community Voted Stuff Pack Deep Dive: The Rocking Chair!

SimGuruConorSimGuruConor Posts: 16 SimGuru
edited February 16 in Nominated Threads
Welcome back to another deep dive into our upcoming community voted stuff pack, The Sims 4 Nifty Knitting Stuff. That’s right, thanks to you and your votes we have a name, and it rocks!

I’d like to remind everyone that game development is rarely straightforward. It’s really kind of twisty, and sometimes a little squishy, and it’s still early in the development of our new Stuff Pack. What I’m trying to say is, this pack is actively being worked on and the information below is subject to change. But enough about that. Let’s get started discussing today’s topic, Rocking Chairs!

You, the community, voted on what the rocking chair would look like. This was the winning design, in case you’ve forgotten.
jxxdmb1ofedr.png

And this is what it currently looks like!
dzcuat5i4qg3.png

Don’t worry, it’ll look more like the concept art once our modeler is done with it. This is what we call a “work in progress asset.”

As you can probably surmise, rocking chairs will behave like...rocking chairs. I know, how daring! So maybe we don’t need to go into explicit detail about how a rocking chair functions, but, suffice to say, it is a chair and it rocks.

So, let’s talk about some of the new gameplay surrounding rocking chairs, because that’s where our rocking chairs in The Sims 4 get really interesting.

Sitting in a rocking chair is quite relaxing for Sims, so naturally uncomfortable, sad, or angry buffs will diminish quicker. Sims will also gain a bonus to their Knitting Skill while on the rocking chair, so make sure you take advantage of that. Try building a “Knitting Room” with a rocking chair and a stereo playing Focus/Metal music to fully immerse your Sim in knitting knirvana.

vzfh11ainy53.gif

As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, Elders will have some unique gameplay with rocking chairs. While sitting in a rocking chair, Elder Sims gain increased friendly relationship gains with other Sims. Elders will also be able to Reminisce on rocking chairs, gaining a small amount of fun as they relax and explore their mind palace. If you’re playing as an Elder while they’re Reminiscing, you’ll be able to see glimpses into their mind swirl around them, similar to toddler’s when they play make-believe with toys. What Elders take away from the whole experience is up to their personality traits, but hopefully something pleasant!

Here’s an in development clip of the Reminisce animation, as modeled by this adult Sim. Since adults and elders use the same animation rig they share the same default Sim that is used to model In Progress animations in our animation tools.

5l80iprp2384.gif

Not only will Elders gain unique interactions with the rocking chair, but Children and Toddlers too. Both Children and Toddler Sims will have a Play With Rocking Chair interaction, where they can fulfill Fun motives by rocking in an insatiable furor. Check out this adorable, enthusiastic toddler. Where do they get all their energy?

knnhjlvg0ags.gif

We’d love to explore doing more with rocking chairs down the road. So, let us know if you’d like to see more rocking chairs in the future!

Now lets bring it over to the Lead Animator on our Stuff Pack, HaeJu Chung! We’re going to ask her a few questions so she can give us some insight into what it’s like to be an Animator on The Sims 4.

Conor: Can you tell us a little about what an animator does on The Sims 4?

HaeJu: Animators create the Sim’s unique movements that show them interacting with other Sims or objects. Every movement a Sim makes in game is individually animated by an animator using our animation tool on The Sims 4. We use our own custom tools that were developed here at Maxis specifically for The Sims.

Conor: What are some of the challenges you’re facing working on the Rocking Chair, and how do you plan to overcome them?

HaeJu: The rocking chair is a challenging object, we have never made anything quite like it before on The Sims 4. Sims on the Rocking Chair are able to perform existing interactions, like socializing with other Sims or reading a book, while the chair is in motion. Since we are using the existing animations for these interactions, I have to create the perfect sitting pose that will allow us to blend these animations seamlessly with the movement of the Rocking Chair. This may sound simple, but it actually is not. We make multiple animations for each interaction to give the visuals some variance – we call these animation loops – and some of the existing interactions, like socializing with other Sims while sitting, have many different loops with various hand movements and different angles for the Sim’s head, among other things. Figuring out the perfect pose so that rocking looks good and works with all of the existing animations we want to use requires a great deal of iteration and testing to get it looking just right. Once we have settled on the perfect pose then we can start making the unique rocking chair animations, including the Knitting while rocking animation.

Conor: Is there a specific animation for the Rocking Chair that you’re excited about?

HaeJu: Yes! There are Play With Rocking Chair animations for both children and toddlers that will be really fun to animate. We shared a clip above of the In Progress animation featuring the toddler. I’m looking forward to finishing these animations and seeing them in game with the final rocking chair model. It’s going to be so cute!

Conor: What is your favorite feature you have ever worked on in The Sims 4?

HaeJu: My favorite feature right now is the Murphy Bed in The Sims 4 Tiny Living Stuff Pack. It was difficult to animate. Like the rocking chair, we hadn’t done anything like it before on The Sims 4, so it was challenging. I enjoyed taking on this challenge, and it was really fun to animate, especially the failure animation where the Sim gets squished by the bed.

That’s for all now! Please keep watching the forums, I’ll have another deep dive for you soon. Stay safe and keep gaming.
~ SimGuruConor
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Awwwwwwww my heart melted at the toddler <3 thanks for including them.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    I love these posts <3
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    These posts are great. I love learning about stuff like this. Keep 'em coming as long as possible, please.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Looks great, love that toddlers can interact with it too.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• lakirelakire Posts: 75 Member
    @SimGuruConor This is Wonderful!! And I can't but agree with previous writers the toddler animation is Adorable <3<3
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited May 2020
    I LOVE this! Those GIFs are everything! I really love the toddler animation!

Also, yes to more rocking chairs in future packs!
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for sharing this! The rocking chair is probably going to be one of my favourite items.

Just wondering, how do the children play the rocking chair? Will they be able to break it? I remember my siblings & I have a lot of fun playing like a pirate on it. Can there be more than 1 Sims playing with the rocking chair?

Do you think that, in the future, would you consider to create a rocking horse? It would be a great item to increase the toddler movement & imagination skills as well as increasing their fun need. :D

Thanks again for sharing this with us!
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Children and toddlers oughta rock more aggressively. Rock on!
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Thank you for this, Conor! I love getting a peek at all the many details that go into creating an entire pack.
  • sweetliljasweetlilja Posts: 39 Member
    Cool! Thanks for sharing!

I have this suggestion about this chair, if Sims could fall asleep in the chair while rocking, if they are really tired when doing it, instead of walking up and fall asleep on the ground, would be perfect fit. But it might be difficult to do? I don't remember what sims game it is when your Sims can fall asleep in their food if tired when eating. It's not Sims 4 I believe, but tell me if I am wrong.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    Thank you for sharing this update. It was interesting to read about how you make the animations for the rocking chair.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2020
    Thankyou so much for including the little ones!!! This is very insightful information 🥰🥰🥰🥰
    And I totally would love more added to the rocking chair in the future!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    Thank you so much for this update! These posts are always really interesting.
    Just a question: The winning design has cushions on it but in the GIF you shared they don't. Will we get 4 versions of the rocking chairs or the ones in the GIF are going to get them during the development process?
    he/him
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2020
    I was wondering if the pack would be released soon since the voting stuff was all done but since you said you're in the beginning stages of development, I won't get my hopes up.

I'm not really looking forward to the "theme" of this pack, but there are items in every pack (every pack except Luxury Party which I still don't understand) that I use/enjoy. So I'm not too worried about it. The rocking chair is a nice touch as well.
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this update! These posts are always really interesting.
    Just a question: The winning design has cushions on it but in the GIF you shared they don't. Will we get 4 versions of the rocking chairs or the ones in the GIF are going to get them during the development process?

Good eye, we're going to add all 4!

Awesome! The pack keeps getting better and better! :smiley:
    he/him
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    This was a lovely blog post. I adore that toddler animation. It's lovely to see they're getting something a little special. I'm also pleased to hear we'll get four versions of the chair. That's lovely! <3
    I'm looking forward to the reminisce interaction for the elders. I'm a fan of the imagination images for the toddlers and children so I really like the idea of implementing a similar idea for the elders to reminisce. What a lovely idea! <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    This is really awesome <3 Can't wait to see them ingame!
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    Wow! This is looking really good! I love the animations! The 3D asset definitely looks like it still needs work. Looks a bit clunky and oddly proportioned but looking forward to it!
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    It looks so good!
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • sovereignsimmersovereignsimmer Posts: 35 Member
    edited May 2020
    I hope that "cushion" thing on the seat is not final. I don't like the 2D look of it. It doesn't look comfortable at all!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top