Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best and worst in Realm of Magic

texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
Hi everyone :)

What is the absolute best and worst features of the game pack Realm of Magic in your opinion? Only one best and one worst.
Post edited by texxx78 on

Comments

• ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited May 2020
    Ooh this is hard. :smiley:

Best - CAS and Build/Buy items. I'm using a lot of the stuff for my non-magical Sims and builds. I love the gameplay too but I feel I can use the CAS and Build/Buy items for a long time, even if I lose interest in having spellcasters.

Worst - Familiars. I feel like they don't do much. I feel its really lacking interactions. I have no connection with them. I usually use pets as familiars to make it feel like there's a friendship there.

Realm of Magic is one of those packs that I thought I wouldn't enjoy as much as the others, but I am surprised by it and I'm enjoying it a lot.
    giphy.gif
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Best: Morgyn.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    Worse:

-Lack of unique and interesting spells
    -Lack of unique and interesting potions
    -Lack of new potion ingredients
    -Poorly implemented familiars
    -Small magic world with nothing to do there
    -Spells have no real impact on sims
    [Removed as this was inappropriate ~Rtas]

Best:

-The world looks cool I guess
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Best: CAS and BB plus I do like the way the spellcasters overall were done I like the spells and potions we have.

Worst: I feel like becoming a high powered spellcasters happens wayyyy to fast and makes it less challenging than it should be.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Pro: FINALLY MAGIC SIMS.

Con: If my spellcaster knows how to use their magic to create dinner, why are they still going to the fridge? If they have magic to clean up messes or themselves, why are they still going to the trash can or going to the shower. And I honestly wish seeing random magic from other spellcasters wasnt solely in the Magic Realm. Why can't I see a random magic battle in Newcrest and have my sim fight the winner to establish dominance? Also, can we please give occult kids more to do? Why cant my kids learn any basic magic?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Best: CAS
    zTwpvZ9.png
    Worst: Situational outfits on every spellcaster in the magic realm.
    4FEuxxr.png
  • EvangelineEvangeline Posts: 59 Member
    Oh gosh that's so true!! Your sims look gorgeous! Those npcs though ... love a spellcaster wearing a ... cowboy hat? XD
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    edited May 2020
    It was difficult to name only one in each category, so I guess my first item in each list is the absolute best and worst.

Best:
    - the return of magic to the game, finally. I love the fact that magic is possible for the sims. It makes their life so much more fun and interesting
    - build and buy: I absolutely love this style of furniture, and there are some neutral swatches for the windows as well
    - the magic realm has a unique look and if you edit the headquarters, you can add literally anything for sims to do there
    - the fact that you don't need to limit your sim to one school of magic, you can learn whatever spell you like from each category
    - magic with and without wands
    - the word 'spellcaster' : you can have all kinds of magical sims, they don't have to be the classical witch

worst
    - you can easily overpower your spellcaster the game is unbalanced (I try to make it more balanced in my game by not allowing my spellcasters to get all perks, to have only limited use of copypasto, I use a mod to tone down the potion of plentiful needs,...)
    - the situational outfits in the realm of magic (mods again)
    - it would have been nice if our sims could live in the magic realm.

all in all the pack despite some flaws is one of my favourites.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited May 2020
    I have to agree with most of these.

Best:
    • CAS and BB. Different, unique, pretty, not too weird that you can't figure out where else to use them.

Good:
    • Some aspects of the system, like splitting magic up into three branches and having to keep your powers in check
    • The magic realm is actually really nice looking
    • The animations are pretty good

Bad:
    • Lackluster spells and potions (so like the core of the gameplay)
    • Familiars. They do about as much as the Baby Yoda statue.
    • There's actually nothing to do in the magic realm

Worst:
    • Brooms. If bikes annoy you, brooms are worse.

I just feel like Patchy is a more helpful sidekick and the curses from Jungle Adventure are more entertaining.
  • LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    I am quite suprised by the negativity for this pack. I honestly thought they were the best spellcasters since Sims 1 Making Magic, which I do think is better, but the Sims 2 and 3 ones did not really convince me much
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    Best: Spellcasting and dueling and leveling up.

Worst: BB. Too ornate for me.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member

I wouldn't even call it ornate. The art nouveau style is trash completely worthless. but what is the absolute worst is the Concept of the three Sages, the fact a sage must always be present.

The best thing about the pack is Spell casters leaves room for player design and strategy... Although I would love a mod to change ingredients for potions.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Best: Witchcraft, build/buy items, and some cas items
    Worst: the. Flipping. Builds. They are UGLY. The non-decoratable world around all of the lots is really pretty. Imagine walking around that. It's a gorgeous world, but the lots are...eughhhh. Just..no. He'll no.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    Best:World,CAS,BB objects, Morgyn Embers
    Worst: boring spells, kids can't do magic despite having the animation to do so
  • KatterayuKatterayu Posts: 3 New Member
    There are a few things that I got an issue with but I'm only going to talk about the color swatches, I'm currently working on replacing the builds in the realm of magic and I'm honestly kinda disappointed in the color swatches of the furniture in the pack, I wish they could use more of the browns the game already have on the other furniture, the colors swatches they chose for the furniture looks a bit silly and fake to me, I want the furniture to match the dark ashy brown furniture that I use from other packs and the base game but it's impossible with the bright browns and the other colors they came with.

It's so lacking because I feel like I can either choose to only use the furniture from the pack or I have to drop using them because they just stick out and look like they don't belong, the furniture in themselves aren't bad and I like them, but the color swatches are just meh and really hard to match up with other things, I don't mind the black and white, but It's not really a color I would use for a medieval/fantasy-ish witch house.

I also wish there were more clutter, stacks of books, crystals, etc that I could put on any other furniture.

There are probably more important things to complain about but as a builder mostly it's kind of something that I care about.

They should have made swatches that they would always stick to, no matter what pack, so you wouldn't have trouble combining things.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Worst : the magic ! Nothing unique.

Best : 25% off.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Good
    I like a lot of the spells, especially Transportalate.
    I like many of the animations.
    I really like Glimmerbrook

Typical
    There are two pieces of torn male clothing that came with this pack - a top and a pair of jeans. They look shabby, which is fine but it would have been nice to have had untorn options for each piece of clothing. I guess it's too hard to do things like that though. It's a good thing that this stuff can be edited by players

There's a male leather bracelet that came with RoM that has a texture flaw. Although it's been reported, it hasn't been fixed. It's a good thing that flawed accessories can be fixed by players who paid for this object.

All of the builds that came with this pack were awful. Maybe they were intended as a joke. That's how they were perceived anyway.

Minerva Charm - poor thing.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Best - Visuals (that includes everything from the world to the visual effects)

Worst - Spells 'cause unlike in previous magic packs they don't bring nothing new to the table.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Art Nouveau is supposed to be fancy but this is way too much. The fireplace for instance is just unusable, where the heck are you supposed to fit a fireplace with crystals ?
    MasonGamer wrote: »

I wouldn't even call it ornate. The art nouveau style is trash completely worthless. but what is the absolute worst is the Concept of the three Sages, the fact a sage must always be present.

The best thing about the pack is Spell casters leaves room for player design and strategy... Although I would love a mod to change ingredients for potions.

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2020
    logion wrote: »
    zTwpvZ9.png
    Sorry to butt in but most of that CAS isn't from Realm of Magic? Her hair is from Island Living, her dress is from City Living and I'm pretty sure the weird eyes are from Vampires and I think his hair is also Vampires? or Moschino Stuff. The only ROM items I can see is his outfit and her facepaint
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    zTwpvZ9.png
    Sorry to butt in but most of that CAS isn't from Realm of Magic? Her hair is from Island Living, her dress is from City Living and I'm pretty sure the weird eyes are from Vampires and I think his hair is also Vampires? or Moschino Stuff. The only ROM items I can see is his outfit and her facepaint

It's a picture showing some sims I made with some CAS items from Realm of Magic (bracelet, makeup, full-body outfit). I still think the CAS items from RoM are very good. If you have vampires you can create some very fantasy-looking spellcasters, that's what that picture mostly shows.
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    For me the spells and potions are very lackluster. I think it really shows if you have all the previous expansions. A lot of the spells/ potions you get are things you can already do, just from other packs, like copypasto is from the Get to Work cloning machine etc.

You wanna reset you current age? Great! Now you got one (actually two with very little difference) spellcaster potion, but why? There is a potion from the reward store (and lots of in-game ways to do that already).
    Nothing new or exciting.

There is no real incentive or reward specific for a spellcaster that would entice you to make/ play/ have one.

Why not a potion to increase the likelihood of triplets? Or a potion for attracting aliens? A spell for changing a sims look (like into a frog with a cool down), turning a sim into a (permanent?) ghost with a tombstone or why not even a spellcaster? Why do all sims have to go and talk to a sage when my own (other) sims are super overpowered and actually more skilled than the sages?

The gameplay isn't really there in general.

And let's not even get started on the "customisation" you can do looks wise. Hello vampires! (Again) basically.

Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I like the world and the concept as well as cas and build buy, i also love the lore of the pack and the premades, they all look like they had some backstory (they were the first premades to get relationship poimts between each other, right?) I like overpowered sims, and they are really powerful, like some think it's too much and makes the game easier etc., but i don't feel like cheating when I use a spell to revive someone, I couldn't find any way to interpret how the sims get those drinks from the reward store, but with spells I can tell. The animations are great too. You could edit the building in Magic Realm and put there activity objects, i don't think it feels so empty after doing that.
    Familiars had too much potential, they could had been better. But even now when I try to play with them on, the simulation slows down and the sim sometimes get stuck, which is annoying. I was hopikg for some classic spells/potions from ts3 (midas touch :")) but no luck.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/