Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

American High School

Comments

• superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    A school pack is something that could go great or... not so great.

As I've seen mentioned, school as an active career (or at least styled like that) isn't necessarily the most exciting thing. But if they focused on school life - dances, spirit assemblies, dress-up days, tests, after school jobs and balancing homework on top of that, sports games, different types of schooling, interacting with teachers/support staff/admin, graduation ceremonies, parties where parents are out of town, senior pranks, etc - that would be a lot more fun.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'm Canadian that went to a Canadian
    Vocational Composite High School that taught practical trades.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Thetford wrote: »
    One of the big issues I have with the suggestion of a school pack is that how can you make something entertaining to play yet still recognisably a school?

The difference between the university packs and a possible school one is that there is very little gameplay regarding the university itself, it is mostly go to a rabbit hole task and write a term paper, the focus has always been stuff associated with campus living: dorms, parties etc. Universities in real life tend to have limited contact hours with the focus on independent learning.

In contrast, schools are pretty much solidly contact hours, lead by a teacher. It would essentially be watching your sims watch a sim. The description makes it sound like there would be very little school activity with the focus on creating your own CW teen drama or an 80s teen film, with focus on cliques, cafeterias, and hallways rather than the classrooms themselves.

I could see it better with a playable boarding school where the focus is on a new living situation like the university packs. Such as living in dormitories and activities after the school day.
    That sounds as boring as University to me give me something new and never done before I'd gladly take CW teen drama or 80s film cliques over the same exact game play we have now but in boarding schools. I really could not think of anything worse than a repeat of University but in boarding schools instead. Do people want any new game play at all or just slightly altered with things we already have if so the Sims team is truly listening. Give me cliques give me new interactions and ways to cause drama active classes and in school hobbies like sports theater and cheerleading and teen hobbies like skateboarding I want school so I have a way to follow all my teens daily lives like I can with adults and their careers.

Can we have schools like this in The Sims?

grease_venice1.jpg

This is Venice High in L.A. which is actually the school that they used in Grease and also used in Brittney Spears first music video
    I'm going to have to veto this and go with Buffy high school

SunnydaleHighSchool.jpg

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited May 2020
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

SunnydaleHighSchool.jpg

This is Torrance High School also used in Beverly Hills, 90210 TV show
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Thetford wrote: »
    One of the big issues I have with the suggestion of a school pack is that how can you make something entertaining to play yet still recognisably a school?

The difference between the university packs and a possible school one is that there is very little gameplay regarding the university itself, it is mostly go to a rabbit hole task and write a term paper, the focus has always been stuff associated with campus living: dorms, parties etc. Universities in real life tend to have limited contact hours with the focus on independent learning.

In contrast, schools are pretty much solidly contact hours, lead by a teacher. It would essentially be watching your sims watch a sim. The description makes it sound like there would be very little school activity with the focus on creating your own CW teen drama or an 80s teen film, with focus on cliques, cafeterias, and hallways rather than the classrooms themselves.

I could see it better with a playable boarding school where the focus is on a new living situation like the university packs. Such as living in dormitories and activities after the school day.
    That sounds as boring as University to me give me something new and never done before I'd gladly take CW teen drama or 80s film cliques over the same exact game play we have now but in boarding schools. I really could not think of anything worse than a repeat of University but in boarding schools instead. Do people want any new game play at all or just slightly altered with things we already have if so the Sims team is truly listening. Give me cliques give me new interactions and ways to cause drama active classes and in school hobbies like sports theater and cheerleading and teen hobbies like skateboarding I want school so I have a way to follow all my teens daily lives like I can with adults and their careers.

Can we have schools like this in The Sims?

grease_venice1.jpg

This is Venice High in L.A. which is actually the school that they used in Grease and also used in Brittney Spears first music video

SunnydaleHighSchool.jpg

That is a nice looking building actually. I have never seen Buffy myself though as it wasn't my thing.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    The Torrance School looks like a school I saw in San Francisco which I have stayed in both 2004 and 2006 called Galileo High School:

Galileo_Academy_of_Science_and_Technology_entrance.jpg

800px-Galileo_High_School_-_San_Francisco%2C_CA_-_DSC04073.jpg

They have Spanish influences. We do not have schools like that in the UK. Instead we have been through phases of Goth Revival, Queen Ann, (Victorian area) Edwardian Baroque (1900s/ 1910s), Neo Georgian (1910s-1930s), Classical (1920s, 1930s), Moderneist/ Duduk/ Streamline (1930s, 1940s), Scandinavian (1940s, 1950s) Post War Modernist, Brutalist (1950s, 60s & 70s), Post Modern (1980s, 90s,) What ever they have called it the past 20 years (2000s - present)

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    I'd definitely want the high school drama. I was disappointed that University seemed to focus more on the academia than the crazy party lifestyle that Sims 2 focused on. Keg parties turned out to be so mundane.

I'm so tired of the safe, happy, "feel good" angle of the game. I need some real drama. If high school was just studying and self improvement and more of the same, it would be way too boring for me and I wouldn't buy it.
    #Team Occult
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Ooo, like Fame. That would be so cool.
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I am so scared they are going to add this. I've gotten every pack so far, but this one I would have to skip. This pack would be horribly triggering for me because high school was very traumatic for me. Sims is my escape, I don't want to be reminded of the plum hole that is high school while playing. I realize my phobia is very odd and specific and no one really feels the same, but yeah, I'm crossing my fingers they don't make this, selfishly.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    The Torrance School looks like a school I saw in San Francisco which I have stayed in both 2004 and 2006 called Galileo High School:

Galileo_Academy_of_Science_and_Technology_entrance.jpg

800px-Galileo_High_School_-_San_Francisco%2C_CA_-_DSC04073.jpg

They have Spanish influences. We do not have schools like that in the UK. Instead we have been through phases of Goth Revival, Queen Ann, (Victorian area) Edwardian Baroque (1900s/ 1910s), Neo Georgian (1910s-1930s), Classical (1920s, 1930s), Moderneist/ Duduk/ Streamline (1930s, 1940s), Scandinavian (1940s, 1950s) Post War Modernist, Brutalist (1950s, 60s & 70s), Post Modern (1980s, 90s,) What ever they have called it the past 20 years (2000s - present)
    My high school had spanish influence too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited June 2020
    For a school pack, I would want things like:

Choosing what kinds of schools Sims go to. Do the older students go to a private school, public, are they homeschooled. Does the school focus on STEM or Arts. Can toddlers go to a preschool.

Field trips

Choosing school subjects/classes/schedule which then influence skills gained

Knowing grade level

More after school activities

Days off (like reading days, professional days, etc.)

Tutors (as in the ability for a Sim to be the one receiving tutoring)

I would not mind things like cliques and drama if they add more to the institution of primary and secondary school itself, as well.
    Post edited by NationalPokedex on
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Aussie schools can look pretty speccy.

Front-of-College-2017.jpg
    Main-Building-1885-wide-1000.jpg

Or simple
    41246786595_46ca5ec2a8_b.jpg

Or ultra modern
    1200x650-fill-awards-glenunga-international-high-school-glen-1.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    If they ever do a school pack like this I definitely don't want them to focus on the academic part as much as the actual teenage experience side of things. It would be fun to add tons of ways to create your own version of a high school drama. I already play my game like a soap opera after all!
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    No offense but this sounds like a giant snooze just like Get to Work. A giant rinse and repeat for $40.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    If they ever do a school pack like this I definitely don't want them to focus on the academic part as much as the actual teenage experience side of things. It would be fun to add tons of ways to create your own version of a high school drama. I already play my game like a soap opera after all!

I guess I was hoping to create school more like it was for me. The thing is, where I went to school, the academic part WAS the actual teenage experience of high school... haha! I guess that's why I'd like it to be the focus. I don't recall any drama or anything that looks like a high school in movies etc. SPorts weren't important though some kids played on teams (definitely no one would ever watch a high school sports game though, maybe a small handful of parents might show up... if it was a bigger game), there were no cliques, we studied, ate lunch with friends, studied some more, did homework. For the most part everyone got along and homework/learning was easily the main focus.
    edited June 2020
    delete cuz my post showed up twice forsome reason?
    edited June 2020
    alan650111 wrote: »

I guess I was hoping to create school more like it was for me. The thing is, where I went to school, the academic part WAS the actual teenage experience of high school... haha! I guess that's why I'd like it to be the focus. I don't recall any drama or anything that looks like a high school in movies etc. SPorts weren't important though some kids played on teams (definitely no one would ever watch a high school sports game though, maybe a small handful of parents might show up... if it was a bigger game), there were no cliques, we studied, ate lunch with friends, studied some more, did homework. For the most part everyone got along and homework/learning was easily the main focus.

I didn't really experience too much drama myself either. I should have added that I meant TV SHOW drama! There are endless TV shows and movies that revolve around high schools and teenagers. Since Discover University so heavily focused on academics and school work, it would be a much better idea to mainly focus on the teenage years as messy and dramatic and a fun gameplay avenue for a game like Sims!

EDITED TO ADD: What if they released a game pack simply called TEENAGERS??! They could seriously pack in a ton of gameplay to fall under that age range. However, maybe it would be best to have a game pack that would focus on CHILDREN and TEENAGERS! But what would we call that pack??
    I'd love to see a pack for teens and kids, but one without drama haha! I prefer utopian game play, all sims always happy with cheats to keep money high and needs full. More fun that way forme.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2020
    Yeah let's have some teen high school drama! Mean Girls vibes I would love that!

Oh maybe a popularity meter or cliques like in the Sims 3 university
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    I'd love to see a pack for teens and kids, but one without drama haha! I prefer utopian game play, all sims always happy with cheats to keep money high and needs full. More fun that way forme.

Really? Wow! That is super boring and dull to me! No offense. lol. I like to have variety in my game. I've had the same save since September 2014 and I intermingle all my families and there's been various storylines full of drama and intrigue that I tell in my head while I play. Sometimes I go through long periods of just enjoying and letting them be happy for the most part but I always need an injection of adrenaline in my game by having bad things happen! Gotta keep their lives spiced up! lol
    @Movotti wrote: »

Former Canberra High school, now the School of Arts, ANU Canberra

1280px-School_of_Arts%2C_ANU_Canberra.JPG
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    A primary school:

Susan Lawrence School

Yorke Rosenberg Mardall designed this school building in 1937 as a competition to design 'the perfect school' with use of natural light. Eventually the plan had been used for a primary school that opened in 1950 in the post war redevelopment of Poplar and debuted in the 1951 Festival of Britain as a showpiece of the "Live Architecture" exhibition.

Entrance_to_Lansbury_Lawrence_School_%28geograph_4564618%29.jpg

ASS00141.jpg

fig85.gif

Lansbury-Estate-53.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @Movotti wrote: »

Former Canberra High school, now the School of Arts, ANU Canberra

1280px-School_of_Arts%2C_ANU_Canberra.JPG

Decco!
    It's like a wedding cake, and I wanna lick it!
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    I'd definitely want the high school drama. I was disappointed that University seemed to focus more on the academia than the crazy party lifestyle that Sims 2 focused on. Keg parties turned out to be so mundane.

I'm so tired of the safe, happy, "feel good" angle of the game. I need some real drama. If high school was just studying and self improvement and more of the same, it would be way too boring for me and I wouldn't buy it.

This. I'm surprised how many actually want it to be as boring as uni in my opinion. Bring on the drama!!😆😆😆
    And since we already have uni, all the more reason for them to do something different and a bit more exciting.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

This. I'm surprised how many actually want it to be as boring as uni in my opinion. Bring on the drama!!😆😆😆
    And since we already have uni, all the more reason for them to do something different and a bit more exciting.

Right?! Plus, teens are so dramatic anyway with all of those hormones running amok, it wouldn't seem right to have (particularly American) high school without the overly emotional dramatics. :D
    #Team Occult