Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recycled Animations in Eco Lifestyle

Comments

• sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited May 2020
    Omg I didn't see your thread before I made one about the animations lol. Mines more negative though..
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don’t mind if they are reused for a similar item but it starts to get annoying when they’re pasted into novel gameplay. Toddler bath duck vs playing in the ocean for example. Ocean play / swimming was touted to be a fun new gameplay feature but then they just used the same tub and kiddie pool animation. Somebody mentioned pickpocketing uses hugging, and in another thread that “curing a vampire” uses the “throw drink” animation. “New” features should use new animations, IMO. It feels like the thought process is “here’s what animations we have available, what new gameplay can we fake with them?” instead of “here’s what we want to do with the game/here are things people want, how do we create it?”

I love the part I bolded and 100% agree. They can't tout the fact they have all these new features then reuse all old animations we've already seen before. Is it really THAT hard to create animations in the Sims 4? I never saw this as being an issue for the past Sims games at all. Something has to have changed...

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited May 2020
    Are there any other recycled animations except this weeding machine one that people have noticed?
    I feel like one or two are fine, it makes sense. Why would they spend money and recources on two very similar animations. But I hope there won't be too many recycled ones..

Things I have noticed or saw someone else's noticed:
    There's the cuddling with the worm animation that is the same as the cuddle with the hamster from My First Pet SP, the machine that behaves like the scientist invention machine from Get to Work, the recycling machine that is like the cupcake machine animation.
    Then the pack comes with new (electric?) bikes that people are assuming are just reskinned bikes from Discover University, there's another one of those tables to sell stuff that already came with City Living and Jungle adventure, the sketch pad that is like well...the sketch pad, the foodstall that looks like a foodtruck but is just a reskinned food stall from City Living, and other packs that I can't remember right now. There's probably more, this is all I can recall now.

The issue here I think is that this was all showcased in the reveal trailer, making people rightly get to the conclusion that these are some of the biggest selling points. And it rubs many simmers the wrong way to see that the biggest selling points of a 40 euro/dollar pack are mostly recycled from other previous paid content.

I am excited to see what more this EP has to offer but I am not going to lie, whoever approved that trailer to be the reveal trailer, made a big mistake. That or really those are the biggest selling points and if that is the case...well...
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    Are there any other recycled animations except this weeding machine one that people have noticed?
    I feel like one or two are fine, it makes sense. Why would they spend money and recources on two very similar animations. But I hope there won't be too many recycled ones..

There's the cuddling with the worm animation that is the same as the cuddle with the hamster from My First Pet SP, the machine that behaves like the scientist invention machine from Get to Work, the recycling machine that is like the cupcake machine animation.
    Then the pack comes with new (electric?) bikes that people are assuming are just reskinned bikes from Discover University, there's another one of those tables to sell stuff that already came with City Living and Jungle adventure, the sketch pad that is like well...the sketch pad, the foodstall that looks like a foodtruck but is just a reskinned food stall from City Living, and other packs that I can't remember right now. There's probably more, this is all I can recall now.

The issue here I think is that this was all showcased in the reveal trailer, making people rightly get to the conclusion that these are some of the biggest selling points. And it rubs many simmers the wrong way to see that the biggest selling points of a 40 euro/dollar pack are mostly recycled from other previous paid content.

I am excited to see what more this EP has to offer but I am not going to lie, whoever approved that trailer to be the reveal trailer, made a big mistake. That or really those are the biggest selling points and if that is the case...well...

The trailer did not put a lof of emphasis on what new animations they included if any were included. There's the sim going down the ladder, the candle making and the new vertical garden. A side from that we don't really see anything new.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    It might not matter in an Indie game to some players, but for players who spend over a $1000 by the time they buy most packs it should matter especially when this company bragged TS4 raked in over a Billion dollars. Some won't care as long as it's a new object, others will because they know how cheaply this game is produced compared to the billion they brag about. It's like asking me to go ahead and spend more for a recolor of a new couch and or a recolor of a dress mesh or something already in basegame. You know, I just can't do it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

The trailer did not put a lof of emphasis on what new animations they included if any were included. There's the sim going down the ladder, the candle making and the new vertical garden. A side from that we don't really see anything new.

Honestly though the sims don't even walk down the ladder, they slide down.

So that isn't a very new animation either since sliding down like that is far easier to animate, and walking up has already been animated for IL. And a vertical garden isn't an animation per se, we don't yet know how they'll plant or garden in it - if those will be real animations or not is anyone's guess right now.
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Honestly though the sims don't even walk down the ladder, they slide down.

So that isn't a very new animation either since sliding down like that is far easier to animate, and walking up has already been animated for IL. And a vertical garden isn't an animation per se, we don't yet know how they'll plant or garden in it - if those will be real animations or not is anyone's guess right now.

The veritical garden might be animated by invisible OMSPs. If no one knows what those are there are some on Mod The Sims that explain how they are used. Usually for stacking without seeing the object to stack the stuff.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,703 Member
    Thanks everyone for remaining respectful and keeping it about the game and not the player.
    Well, now that they have animated a ladder to just slide down it, instead of climb down it they can go ahead and make that pole for the fireman career everyone wants to come back like in TS3. :)
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Well, now that they have animated a ladder to just slide down it, instead of climb down it they can go ahead and make that pole for the fireman career everyone wants to come back like in TS3. :)

The pole would need a different animation....camon, even you know that. The placement of the arms and legs would need to be totally different.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited May 2020

The pole would need a different animation....camon, even you know that. The placement of the arms and legs would need to be totally different.

Not if we are willing to buy a pack that doesn't use arms or legs to climb up or down a ladder. :D

ETA: I'm not being snide I'm being truthful. If I do that with this pack then might as well get a pack that wouldn't hug a pole as they slide down. See, this thread is about reused animations over and over and here is a new object first time in TS4 and not even animated properly. How much am I willing to forgo this type of thing? Not very.
  • EvangelineEvangeline Posts: 59 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, as somebody else here mentioned, I would potentially be okay with them reusing anims to free up some of the budget for other things, but as of right now I can't really tell what those 'other things' are...
    Post edited by Evangeline on
    Evangeline wrote: »
    Yeah, as somebody else here mentioned, I would potentially be okay with them reusing anims to free up some of the budget for other things, but as of righ now I can't really tell what those 'other things' are...

Exactly my problem too.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited May 2020
    Evangeline wrote: »
    Yeah, as somebody else here mentioned, I would potentially be okay with them reusing anims to free up some of the budget for other things, but as of righ now I can't really tell what those 'other things' are...

But this really doesn't make sense unless Maxis pays per object to animate. I would assume (but maybe they do) they pay someone a salary to animate. They are paid even if it's reused and or new animation. So, how would any money be moved to something else when Graham said they have to keep all teams working at the same time. Meaning, I assume the animators are paid and working on something also at the same time. So, I feel this argument is misguided to think they don't get paid unless they create a new animation.
    That's true! I was sort of responding to people's comments about how that was a rumoured reason why anims are recycled. Interesting to learn that!
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I got to admit the shower woohoo looks exactly the same is wardrobe woohoo, who goes in the shower with clothes on 😂 and why aren't their clothes wet like when its raining lol
    Nikkih wrote: »
    I got to admit the shower woohoo looks exactly the same is wardrobe woohoo, who goes in the shower with clothes on 😂 and why aren't their clothes wet like when its raining lol

TS4 has a lot of things that eventually become pet peeves. I have a few in older games but TS4 actually wins my pet peeve grivances each and every time.
  • Bearly_MediaBearly_Media Posts: 124 Member
    Considering most worlds, (including the new world), will have new environmental states--that's probably where the budget is going.

From what I've seen it's not just smog, but also new garbage, graffiti, foliage and green spaces. So I'm curious how other worlds, especially San Myshuno look when the environment gets bad, and how each season combines with the bad eco-state.
    Actually thinking of my comment that would probably be inappropriate 😂 for a pegi 12 now, but it's already blurred out though lol they go in the shower naked already in the game
    It would be interesting to learn by a poll how many want this EP to actually play the eco friendly parts of the game, such as voting on community lots and changing it etc. or if more people want this pack to keep their worlds polluted. lol I would vote to keep them polluted to see what happens. lol
  • RavennaRavenna Posts: 58 Member
    Gamedevs routinely use previously produced assets to save money. This isn't some wild bad practice, it's just normal in like every game ever made.
    Check out my stuff on the Sims 4 gallery under the ID 'RavennaSanguine'
    Sims going in the shower for woohoo with clothes on though, they should've changed the animation on that 😂 what I dont understand is how does the hygiene go up when they have clothes on lol @Ravenna
    edited May 2020
    Even chairs should get new animations after six years. In TS3 I was so pleased to see a Sim guy sit with his legs crossed while he sat and waited on me to let him do someting. lol No more just sitting with hands on thighs. We didn't have the leg cross in TS2. Innovation should keep going. Even if TS4 is a tiny game compared to the older ones, it should animate more things in new ways. Such as sit on the arm of a chair. When a new object is created there really should be a new animation or interaction with it. It reminds me of custom content so much. A modder clones a Maxis object, changes it's skin into something else, but ties the animation to that object and the bhavs. It's the same ray gun just by a different name. C'mon they make money like there is no tomorrow. Shouldn't we expect more after that billion dollar bank roll. I feel Maxis animators get no love from Maxis.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2020
    Even chairs should get new animations after six years. In TS3 I was so pleased to see a Sim guy sit with his legs crossed while he sat and waited on me to let him do someting. lol No more just sitting with hands on thighs. We didn't have the leg cross in TS2. Innovation should keep going. Even if TS4 is a tiny game compared to the older ones, it should animate more things in new ways. Such as sit on the arm of a chair. When a new object is created there really should be a new animation or interaction with it. It reminds me of custom content so much. A modder clones a Maxis object, changes it's skin into something else, but ties the animation to that object and the bhavs. It's the same ray gun just by a different name. C'mon they make money like there is no tomorrow. Shouldn't we expect more after that billion dollar bank roll. I feel Maxis animators get no love from Maxis.

I wanted this since forever 😅😅😅😅😅 they should have various ways of sitting. That always kinda bothered me. And they should be able to sit on the counter, the floor, the arm chair, the coffee table etc.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    Yes! It's the little details like that which can really make the game feel more immersive. I was SO excited when they added new teeth options. I love making sims with gaps or braces or lil wonky teeth! Such a cool but minimal addition.