Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recycled Animations in Eco Lifestyle

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I understand that they do it to save time, but it bothers me a lot when they reuse animations that does not really fit the situation or when you start to wonder if they really created the item because they wanted to or because it was easy to animate.

The hugging of the worm in the pack trailer is a good example of an animation that I don't think works at all. You can't hug a worm, you would end up hurting it, but they reused the same animations anyway.

The magical gun that cleans pollution is a good example of an animation where you wonder if they really made that item because they wanted to, or because they already had a very similar animation.
    That animation and that item have been used in seasons as a gardening tool, in strangerville, and for the repo man in discover university.

It makes the pack look cheap in some areas, and I don't like it. They created a bunch of good items in the pack from what I can see for example a dew collector, a windmill, a candle making table, but then they made a magic gun that has nothing to do with eco living in my opinion just because they probably wanted something that could fix the environment faster or because they wanted something that your sims could invent.

Is it really that difficult to hire some more animators? They have external art development teams, why not external animators?

I believe they did that for some of the flowers in Sims 3 and it was very expensive because it was so time-consuming. It was quite expensive to buy in the Store too. I suppose there's a question of trust employing external animators with none of the usual contracts that EA staff have to sign.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I'm a storyteller at heart, to me it matter the most the meaning of what is happening than the action itself. Not only that but, to me, systems are top priority, since it makes possible for all my characters to move in sync, give their actions consequences, and get a result that could lead to a whole new story.

I wouldn't say we need only more animations, we also need more unique interactions. But to press buttons is to press buttons, I couldn't care less if it's a cupcake or a reciclying machine, the meaning is definitly different.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    It's not a bad thing, but it starting to gets on my nerves if they do it frequently.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2020
    Simburian wrote: »
    I understand that they do it to save time, but it bothers me a lot when they reuse animations that does not really fit the situation or when you start to wonder if they really created the item because they wanted to or because it was easy to animate.

The hugging of the worm in the pack trailer is a good example of an animation that I don't think works at all. You can't hug a worm, you would end up hurting it, but they reused the same animations anyway.

The magical gun that cleans pollution is a good example of an animation where you wonder if they really made that item because they wanted to, or because they already had a very similar animation.
    That animation and that item have been used in seasons as a gardening tool, in strangerville, and for the repo man in discover university.

It makes the pack look cheap in some areas, and I don't like it. They created a bunch of good items in the pack from what I can see for example a dew collector, a windmill, a candle making table, but then they made a magic gun that has nothing to do with eco living in my opinion just because they probably wanted something that could fix the environment faster or because they wanted something that your sims could invent.

Is it really that difficult to hire some more animators? They have external art development teams, why not external animators?

I believe they did that for some of the flowers in Sims 3 and it was very expensive because it was so time-consuming. It was quite expensive to buy in the Store too. I suppose there's a question of trust employing external animators with none of the usual contracts that EA staff have to sign.

They are using external help for their art assets, you can see it in the credits for the later packs, and I think their build/buy objects look really good in their packs so I think that works pretty well.

But I do wonder if they don't have enough people that can do animations.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Can it be said that there are a finite number of animations and after 33 packs it's not unreasonable to expect some duplication in animations?

Would it have been better if the new machine was just left out of the game or create new animations?

I have no knowledge of what's required in game animation so wanted to know what everyone thought about this.

I personally think it's entirely reasonable to repurpose animations, where they can be used in new game-play. If, say, the trash-cube machine thing (whatever it turns out to be) re-uses the "working a big machine" animation from the cupcake machine (just as an example), I don't really see how that detracts from either.

Nor do I object to themes carrying across packs (well, maybe just a little - there was a bar in Discover University which really ought to have been included with the other Art Nouveau/Edwardian BB assets in Realm of Magic, but I can accept that, if it means getting it some time rather than never). I plan to include Tiny Living with my Eco Lifestyle play, and both with (hopefully) exploring Off the Grid living - something I have postponed diving into until it was more robustly supported.

Packs by design build out from the base game. They enhance it. Part of that is possible purely because the developers need not reinvent the wheel every time they want to bring us new content. New uses for existing animations is perfectly sensible - especially since, yes, animations are rather intensive as far as design hours go.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    my issue with this is when its highlighted and showcased over new animations and objects. im paying $40 for new content, they should show that content. im hoping the trailer was just really bad and there's more to it like that weird meat wall that's clearly a new animation but not shown in the trailer.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    my issue with this is when its highlighted and showcased over new animations and objects. im paying $40 for new content, they should show that content. im hoping the trailer was just really bad and there's more to it like that weird meat wall that's clearly a new animation but not shown in the trailer.

From my understanding the trailer did not show a lot. You wouldn't even know you see a soda making station in the trailer unless someone told you. They put it in the far back of the frame too lol.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member

This was only the reveal trailer. We haven't seen the gameplay trailer nor the developer livestream. Even so, we did see new thing. The trailer's focus, overall, was world progression from dirty to clean in a far, far more in-depth manner than we had on Mua Pel'am. And they did show the candle making - and candle-burning - which is all new.

You can't expect all the detail to be shown at first glance. I mean, I have only been with TS4 for a year, but I do know by now how they roll information out for a new pack. I don't understand just how it's decided what goes in the reveal trailer - sometimes they grab me, sometimes they dont, but this one did - but I do think it's a bit unreasonable to be overly critical of what they do or don't show at our first peek.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don’t mind recycled animations at all, because they allow us to get interesting new play options like cuddling worms. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    EA makes too much money off this one game alone for this to be reasonable. So it doesn’t matter that there’s 33 dlc packs because it’s not like any single one of them adds a hefty assortment of animations, let alone new animations. It’s pretty bad when people call you out in your announce trailer and there’s 34k dislikes and counting. Maxis shouldn’t just ignore that number, but they’ve let their community get this divided so of course they will pretend it doesn’t mean anything.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited May 2020
    Complaining over recyclement doesn't make a differience when they're selling of DLC where that issue occurs in. They will do over and over and over and over again as long TS4 persists on living its years. It simply does not matter for them when they're raking your 40$ or less that you throw for any expansion pack you bought.

I for one don't give them a cent over anything for TS4, since I know I can do better. Stuff like animation, objects and clothing were often recycled between packs of previous, but not to this EXTENT where it doesn't take a genius to realize players are ranting about it in EVERY released DLC.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »

This was only the reveal trailer. We haven't seen the gameplay trailer nor the developer livestream. Even so, we did see new thing. The trailer's focus, overall, was world progression from dirty to clean in a far, far more in-depth manner than we had on Mua Pel'am. And they did show the candle making - and candle-burning - which is all new.

You can't expect all the detail to be shown at first glance. I mean, I have only been with TS4 for a year, but I do know by now how they roll information out for a new pack. I don't understand just how it's decided what goes in the reveal trailer - sometimes they grab me, sometimes they dont, but this one did - but I do think it's a bit unreasonable to be overly critical of what they do or don't show at our first peek.

a reveal trailer is people's first impressions, and judging by the reactions it wasn't a good one, not all sim players watch the gameplay and livestreams.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited May 2020
    @Sindocat

I DO EXPECT more detailed, and less use of recycled animations trailer for the reveal trailers though. Oh, and I will not watch the livestream, because I do not trust the gurus behaviors during them anymore. Watched them one time a while ago, and was given a very negative impression. The next trailer will hopefully show new gameplay and not just recycled animations and reskinned objects. I also wait and watch gameplay videos that ARE NOT sponsored by EA, as those give the better detailed impressions on gameplay and content. This pack just is giving off a very negative impression to me almost immediately. I have very low expectations anymore, and even those are not being met.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I don't really care about these animations tbh, they're not the ones I'm gonna be using every day.
    What really bothers me is recycled animations for socials. Sometimes I can't tell if my sims are going to woohoo or they're just asking a risque question. Or when a sim is sad, there is a new social called "try to flirt" or something like that, but animation is the same, it's not sad or shy at all. A lot of friendly actions look the same too, you can't tell what your sims are doing. That's what makes the game feel shallow for me.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    I do expect new animations in a new series, but for an addon? I never really thought about it, i do care more for the items in the pack. I'm playing mmorpg from time to time, too. In one game there was once a re-do of the spells animations. The crowd was happy, but I stopped to play a longtime played character because I could not stand the changes. Since then, I am aware when in comes to new animations.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I agree with this:
    I don’t mind if they are reused for a similar item but it starts to get annoying when they’re pasted into novel gameplay. Toddler bath duck vs playing in the ocean for example. Ocean play / swimming was touted to be a fun new gameplay feature but then they just used the same tub and kiddie pool animation. Somebody mentioned pickpocketing uses hugging, and in another thread that “curing a vampire” uses the “throw drink” animation. “New” features should use new animations, IMO. It feels like the thought process is “here’s what animations we have available, what new gameplay can we fake with them?” instead of “here’s what we want to do with the game/here are things people want, how do we create it?”

And I understand that of course sometimes it makes sense to reuse animations but when a new EP comes out and most of the new gameplay just feels like old stuff, it becomes an issue. It is also very blatant with social interactions. So many options and stuff to talk about with other sims, yet very few animations. It makes the massive choice of interactions very unnecessary because they keep repeating the same few animations over and over.
    There are 33 packs yes, but we still don't have animations for a lot of basic things like slow dancing, dancing together, or kids playing together without objects.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    TS4 doesn't really bug me when it reuses animations. It's more important that the animations make sense for when and where they're used and who by. All games do this, it's quite understandable why, and only Bioware have ever managed to induce a kind of rage in me for animations and repetitious asset use.

So no, there are more important things for me to consider in my Sims 4 game.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited May 2020
    It bothers me a lot when they are used on an object that it doesn't make sense for and even more so the Murphy Bed upgrade recycled animation. Murphy beds aren't electronic. But we got the electronic upgrade animation and the tv remote animation. So now it can'tbe used off the grid. Bugged the heck out of me that for the sake of recycling animations I can't use them in off the grid households. Alleviated a bit with the new EP I suppose but still.

It doesn't bother me much when it makes sense. Like the toddler splash pool and play in the sea.. although that duck should've been changed to a shell.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I understand that they do it to save time, but it bothers me a lot when they reuse animations that does not really fit the situation or when you start to wonder if they really created the item because they wanted to or because it was easy to animate. And then you even start to wonder if they made a whole pack because they or the community wanted it, or because they have made similar things before.

It makes the pack look cheap in some areas, and I don't like it. They created a bunch of good items in the pack from what I can see for example a dew collector, a windmill, a candle making table, but then they made a magic gun that has nothing to do with eco living in my opinion just because they probably wanted something that could fix the environment faster or because they wanted something that your sims could invent. That thing is so absurd and they probably added it because they already had the assets for it.

Is it really that difficult to hire some more animators? Other game development studios know that animations take time, that's why they have a lot of people working on them.

Probably they have limited budget for animations. All businesses cut corners and expenses because of time constraints and profits need to be high for their investors. I guess the issue with the reused animations is that sometimes they feel like they were done by CC modders with no skill at animation so they used whatever interaction was somewhat suitable for their object from the pool of available interactions.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I understand that they do it to save time, but it bothers me a lot when they reuse animations that does not really fit the situation or when you start to wonder if they really created the item because they wanted to or because it was easy to animate. And then you even start to wonder if they made a whole pack because they or the community wanted it, or because they have made similar things before.

It makes the pack look cheap in some areas, and I don't like it. They created a bunch of good items in the pack from what I can see for example a dew collector, a windmill, a candle making table, but then they made a magic gun that has nothing to do with eco living in my opinion just because they probably wanted something that could fix the environment faster or because they wanted something that your sims could invent. That thing is so absurd and they probably added it because they already had the assets for it.

Is it really that difficult to hire some more animators? Other game development studios know that animations take time, that's why they have a lot of people working on them.

Probably they have limited budget for animations. All businesses cut corners and expenses because of time constraints and profits need to be high for their investors. I guess the issue with the reused animations is that sometimes they feel like they were done by CC modders with no skill at animation so they used whatever interaction was somewhat suitable for their object from the pool of available interactions.

While they do save money and time and possibly end up pleasing their investors, I think it is sad that it seems to affect some features for their packs. It's difficult to see the saved money and time when my sim is using a very similar item that they have used in three other packs.

We do get some new animations and features but since people want so many different things for this game we sometimes get the same animations for things that some people like a lot and new animations for things that some people may like less. The bizarre meat wall uses new animations for example but I am not sure that I would trade that for an entirely new and cool item that could have cleaned the environment in a more believable way.
    But I suspect the reason why they wanted that new animation for the meat wall is because they could possibly use that for other things, like a new restaurant or something.

So for me at least, it feels like they are making some decisions a little too much based on saving time and money.
  • Options
    PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    Are there any other recycled animations except this weeding machine one that people have noticed?
    I feel like one or two are fine, it makes sense. Why would they spend money and recources on two very similar animations. But I hope there won't be too many recycled ones..