Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you stopped playing TS4, how long, and why?

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    I’ve heard of it but I don’t think it rolls back your game version to an older one. I own everything physically besides ITF, and I believe installing that will force the game to update to the latest version. I’m not sure about that though. It’s been years since I’ve fiddled with it because I really don’t have a whole lot of time to uninstall, and then reinstall my entire library of Sims 3 games just to see if I can avoid the latest update. That’s just too much work for a video game. Thanks for the suggestion though

No problem! Unfortunately, it doesn't roll it back. It works only for new installations. Worth thinking about if you ever did have to uninstall/reinstall.
    ITF doesn't force you to update to 1.69 unless you get it through Origin. Disc copies will only take you up to 1.63, or thereabouts. When I reinstall, I stick to the disc copies, then use the Super Patcher to go up to 1.67; it avoids the final update and therefore cuts out the pack chooser 'feature'. :)

Yea that’s my issue, ITF is a digital purchase which means I can’t avoid the final patch. It’s my only one which looking back on it I should have just went to the store to buy it instead of being lazy. My mistake but too late now lol

Honestly, if that's the only one you need, I'd jsut do a reinstall without it and wait for ITF to go on sale -- amazon often has Sims 3 stuff for cheap. I know it's a waste, but at the same time, 1.69 breaks the game so badly.

@Felicity Just curious, what problems does the 1.69 patch bring?

@Sk8rblaze A few, IIRC. First, it forced me to have origin running, which may not bother all people but I didn't like it. It also incorporated a less-stable version of SimGameSelect30, and would always deselect all my packs and I would have to manually check them again, and that didn't always work so I'd have to reload the game several times to get to my save file to play. I started getting error 12 messages on saving on occasion, which I never get on 1.67. The game felt laggier as well, but I never measured it so I'm not sure if that was really a thing or not.

Edit: Forgot this -- it also forced me to run the game through the launcher so I could not use my preferred FPS limiter. Honestly, I think I had more issues, but 1.69 did not last long on my machine before I just wiped it and did a fresh install, stopping at 1.67.

Another edit: Tagged the wrong person! Sorry about that!

Yet another edit: Pie menu lag with 1.69. Up to a second when clicking on the mailbox and my controlled sim, and while only a fraction of a second on clicking on another sim, it was noticeable and annoying.

Thank you. Next time I play The Sims 3, I'm just going to install from my discs and work around Origin. Maxis is such a joke, causing more problems in an already, very expensive buggy game.

Good luck! I did this a while ago and it was the best thing I ever did. It was also really helpful when I couldn’t sign into Origin for over over a month thanks to one of their patches as it meant I could still play sims 3. I have my sims 2 discs and if they would install I would use them.i hate origin.

@MidnightAura @AlexaKry Thank you both for the tips. Definitely look forward to seeing how the performance will improve from 1.69 when I get around to installing it again.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    6 months
    I am glad I have all my copies of Sims 3 on disc, I felt the launcher was not too well put together but I liked how they made where you can play whatever packs you want. It is sad that they did not tweak Sims 3 as much as they could and they are the reason if Sims 3 was broken and I am using IP as an example which was left broken and left for the modders to fix. Now they produced Sims 4 with almost everything gutted from it and I am supposed to enjoy an game that is not even half of what Sims 3 was or had. I feel that Sims 5 may not be any better as I feel they lost their mojo a while back.I agree with Drake 100%. Yes I buy the packs but not at the prices they want an luckily I have patience and can wait an long time. I hadn't played SIms 3 for an long time and I have an feeling Sims 3 may get archived soon and if it does I hope they create an way for me to DL my purchased items before that happens.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • lana44lana44 Posts: 60 Member
    a few weeks
    I have stopped because others games have direct control which makes the game more enjoyable. I still play every now and then...I love the sims but would like for direct control.
  • heyrobertoheyroberto Posts: 47 Member
    a few months
    Why have you stopped?.

Sometimes i don't have nothing to do in the game since i only have the base game.

Have you purchased any expansion, GP or stuffed packs?

No.

Do you play any other iterations regularly?

I only have the sims 4.

Are you interested in a TS5?

Oh yeah!
    5zUb897.jpg

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    2 years or longer
    lana44 wrote: »
    I have stopped because others games have direct control which makes the game more enjoyable. I still play every now and then...I love the sims but would like for direct control.
    Is direct control the same thing as first person?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    edited February 2020
    a few months
    "Are you interested in a TS5?"

I forgot to answer this one.
    And I am really not sure how to answer it.

I am interested in TS5 if draws from the game play of The Sims 2, the TS3 open world (or semi-open world compromise) and TS3 traits, and TS4 sims. Plus all the cool little innovations from TS3 and TS4 like changeable shoes, hats on any hairstyle, the ability to save and upload rooms, etc. Basically a Sims game that draws from the best features of all the past games.

But I really don't think EA is going to do that.
    I believe they are going to give being online and social another try, and ruin it like they ruined Sim City.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    "Are you interested in a TS5?"

I forgot to answer this one.
    And I am really not sure how to answer it.

I am interested in TS5 if draws from the game play of The Sims 2, the TS3 open world (or semi-open world compromise) and TS3 traits, and TS4 sims. Plus all the cool little innovations from TS3 and TS4 like changeable shoes, hats on any hairstyle, the ability to save and upload rooms, etc. Basically a Sims game that draws from the best features of all the past games.

But I really don't think EA is going to do that.
    I believe the are going to give being online and social another try, and ruin it like they ruined Sim City.

Yup.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited February 2020
    1K9ZoaI.png

Unfortunately, despite my desire to play 24/7, my body/brain doesn't function very well without a little sleep. ;)

Okay, okay all kidding aside, in answer to your questions:

The only time I have not played TS4 every day is; when I was sick, on vacation (1 or 2 weeks yearly), babysitting my Grandson 2-3 times a week for 5 months, the power was out (up to 4 days), and while waiting to get my current gaming desktop when my old laptop fried (2 months).

I own all but MFP & Fitness.

I have not played any other iterations that I own for a few years now. I dabbled with TS2 Ultimate Collection a few times when I first downloaded it because I absolutely adore that iteration. But, despite loving the gameplay, the dated graphics were hard for me to ignore and find enjoyment in playing it anymore. I'm a very visual person, if that makes me shallow than so be it. *shrugs*

Yes, if there is a Sims 5 released in the future, I'd be interested and curious about what it would offer.
    EDIT: However, if it ends up being an online iteration only, I would not purchase it.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited February 2020
    1 year
    Reasons I take hiatuses from TS4 is boredom, interests are elsewhere (other video games), and the constant updates. As a mod user, it’s exhausting always having to replace and update. I can only imagine how modders feel. I just want to enjoy the game without all the updates and hype, like I did with previous iterations. So I’m basically waiting for the game to finish developing to actually play it.

Edit: forgot to answer these.

Have you purchased any expansion, GP or stuffed packs? Yes. I have them all just haven’t played. Did a bit of CAS makeover recently though.

Do you play any other iterations regularly? Nope.

Are you interested in a TS5? Yes, but I won’t jump into it upon launch. I’ve always waited at least two years for more content before purchasing the next sims game.
    Post edited by taydev on
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    Why have you stopped?
    I haven't played for more than a quick session since Seasons came out. Every pack after that has felt extremely shallow and underwhelming. They also haven't fixed CORE issues with the game, from the lack of unique personalities, to emotions not working well, to simulation lag, etc. It also feels very claustrophobic, being a closed world with no story progression.

Only Get to Work. My niece has bought them all though, so I had the chance to try a fully expanded game and, other than having more activities, it didn't make much of a difference. TS4 has core issues that a simple pack can't fix.

I play The Sims 2 occasionally and The Sims 3 all the time. I've also been playing Medieval lately.

Not really. I have ZERO faith in EA. They'll find some way to mess it up, especially if they spend precious resources in online component simmers don't really care about. If they're going to make an online game, make it a spin off. Don't force online components down our throats.
    Post edited by Naus on
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I haven't played since a few weeks after Get Famous released in 2018. I stopped playing because I was tired of the utter lack of family play and neglect of all life stages that aren't young adult. I didn't buy any packs last year as none of them interested me. I don't play any other iterations because I don't own any. I wish I could get TS3, but I've heard it's hard to get it to work, and I don't want to spend money on a game I won't be able to play. I'd be interested in TS5 if it remembers that other life stages other than just young adults exist.
    Sims 3 needs a good computer and two basic mods to help performance (NRaas Errortrap and Overwatch), that’s all to make it run properly. It would be a pity to go by all the rumours, they’re often based on packing the game with CC. The game doesn’t like that.

So true! I have an old computer from 2014 that is 4gb RAM and an integrated Intel graphics card - and TS3 runs fine on that, lol! I have most graphics settings to medium with a few set to high and graphics still look great. I also have the computer optimized so there is very little lag and I get about 12 to 16 sims to each community lot my sims go to. Also, I've never seen Error 12.

I encourage everyone to try TS3. It has very strong gameplay and is stable. All bugs have been discovered, documented and easily fixed.

Because TS3 is open world and in realtime, gameplay is much different from TS2 though and I think that is where it trips most closed world simmers up. I remember when I first played it with more than one sim in a household, it took some getting used to managing all of them in realtime. But I kept at it and developed my own routine of doing so and I much prefer this way since there is no time disparities between the sims in my household.

So if anyone wants to try out TS3 and need help or have questions - especially about managing your sims in realtime or running the game on your computer, you can always go to the TS3 section and post your questions. You'll pick up ways to manage your sims and other things to help you play the game. TS3 simmers love this game and are happy to help!
    thecatsred wrote: »

I'm sorry, but yeah no. The sims 3 artstyle was awful.

Yes! The sims 3 sims still look sooo ugly to me. It's uncanny valley. I play it a lot but I try not to think about it.

I like the artstyle of TS3, but the gameplay is much more important. I can't justify buying a game and its packs like TS4 just for its artstyle (because the gameplay is definitely not there). If I want to, I can just look at screenshots of TS4 and it enjoy the artstyle that way, lol!
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I am glad I have all my copies of Sims 3 on disc, I felt the launcher was not too well put together but I liked how they made where you can play whatever packs you want. It is sad that they did not tweak Sims 3 as much as they could and they are the reason if Sims 3 was broken and I am using IP as an example which was left broken and left for the modders to fix. Now they produced Sims 4 with almost everything gutted from it and I am supposed to enjoy an game that is not even half of what Sims 3 was or had. I feel that Sims 5 may not be any better as I feel they lost their mojo a while back.I agree with Drake 100%. Yes I buy the packs but not at the prices they want an luckily I have patience and can wait an long time. I hadn't played SIms 3 for an long time and I have an feeling Sims 3 may get archived soon and if it does I hope they create an way for me to DL my purchased items before that happens.

You can download all of your Sims 3 Store purchases and back them up to a hard drive for safekeeping. You will still be able to install them into your game as usual.
  • pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    edited February 2020
    a few months
    Why have you stopped?
    After playing a new pack for a few days I get bored with it. There isn't much substance to them.

I purchase them, then after playing for a short time I uninstall them, the only things I buy them for is the build/buy items and cas. I would love to be able to only purchase just the build/buy items and cas that each pack offer, but I know that would cut into their profits. I don't really want to bog down my computer with useless stuff.

Do you play any other iterations regularly
    I play other games but not regularly

No, it seems the TS games are getting worse yet costing more, I am going to stop at TS4, so many people use mods and cc to improve their games why buy a game you have to keep fixing or improving yourself, I feel like I purchased a shell and have to complete the game with other peoples creations.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2020
    6 months
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

You can download all of your Sims 3 Store purchases and back them up to a hard drive for safekeeping. You will still be able to install them into your game as usual.

I was wondering how to do that without installing it to the game as I liked Sims 2 way of doing it. Thanks for the info. :) I am wondering if I can save my downloads w/o going through the launcher as I am thinking it is DLing into my game but I want to save the Dl as it's own file w/o installing it into the game. I found out how to do it and I see an lot Dling and work.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    6 months
    I go through long periods of not playing Sims 4, then I will buy a EP/GP/SP and play until I get bored or hit a bug that I find too annoying to keep playing. This could be weeks or only hours after returning to play. Most recently DU held my interest for nearly a month until I hit a bug causing my Sim not to be able to sleep. I stopped playing again and went back to playing less frustrating games.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    6 months
    When the game first launched I bought it and was that disappointed with it, I vowed I wouldn't buy another thing and would stick to Sims 3 and 2 forever. It was an empty expanse of a game, the furniture was ugly and clunky, it was sloppily put together and lacked well....everthing. In short as much fun as a triip to the doctors, but now quite as bad as a trip to the dentist. Then I got bored one day and bought Granite Falls expansion, and get to work and suddenly there was something to do in the game but it was still lack lustre once you'd been camping and realized what was involved and once you'd mastered the science career because the medical one was a bit meh. A busy hospital that you couldn't visit, understaffed and buggy, and sooooo repetative and no consequences. I don't mean death, I mean who works in a hospital and doens't catch an infectious disease. Who works in a hospital yet nobody ever breaks an arm or a leg? There was no family play in it (surprise!) No vacinating babies, (they are in a bassinet so why would a not sim catch a sim's illness?) No check ups for toddlers which would have been fun but there weren't toddlers. No bright pink arm cast for little Olivia who had broken an arm....just Llama flu for all. Infact you could almost murder a sim in that operating contraption, but you coudln't no matter how inept you were and you never so much as got sued! I mean even a flash card X is suing you because you ripped her heart out delivering her baby. So disgruntled with that I left it for another six months and then thought, hmmm not giving this game a real chance. Play it like it's something completely new and not other Sims games. So I did, then I fell in love with multi tasking and how pretty the worlds and the sims are. But.....years down the line there is still a lot of very basic stuff missing, there are still a lot of opportunities missed, the whims system is shot, the emotions are....less emotive than previous games that were sold on gameplay rather than facial reactions in the bottom of your screen and if you dont' have a really (and I mean REALLY) good imagination, well gameplay is still lack lustre. That said I have thousands of hours on the game creating sims I will never play, saves I will never upload and building all the time because the build mode is great. The game rarely suprises, everything goes the way I want it to and yes I am moaning about that! Sometimes it'd be nice for the Sims to create their own little drama's once in a while rather than having to plan them out all the time! It's a shame, like I said it's a really pretty game, it's the Sims game I would have lusted over appearance wise but it's just that. It's like finally being asked out to dinner by your ultimate crush and realizing that they are a very pretty face, but there's very little going on behind it. The one bit of drama that I had was early on, really early on around the launch of get together and I was getting my Sim married, when her best friend stepped infront of the groom and handed her a rose out of the blue. Nothing like that has ever happened before, I can't even get my male sims pregnant through abduction it's all so dumbed down and I want more things like that to happen. I think woohoo in a hot tub, given it all happens underwater, should come with a random chance of drowning at least.
    I do enjoy the game, don't get me wrong, when I'm building I'm really happy, but the longer I play, the more I realize is lacking in it and so my cheerleading for it has dropped severley. I enjoy it, but I don't love it and that's the difference, I loved Sims2 and Sims3 for the gameplay not so much the asthetics. I'm not even going to look at Sims 5 purely because I can't take the levels of disappointment again. I want so badly to love the game and I can't and I probably won't, it lacks family play, it lacks generational differences and substance. I never thought I'd refer to it as great looks but little personality....*sobs*
  • monicasimmermonicasimmer Posts: 4 New Member
    I've stopped playing it after two days. It does not have that connection that the Sims 3 has. Open world, no loading screens etc. Sims 3 is wayyy better. :)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member
    a few weeks
    Stopped playing temporarily when Animal Crossing NH was released but ready to jump back in with Eco Lifestyle!
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    a few weeks
    I temporarily stopped playing for a few weeks, but I'm actually starting up the game right now. The reason I stopped? I was a bit bored, which happens regularly, but I always come back after some time. In the meantime, I played a bit of TS3, but not much of this either. I actually spent more time reading, watching on youtube or playing other, non-sims games.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    edited May 2020
    a few weeks
    Why have you stopped?
    I feel like there isn't anything to do. When I want my sims to go and hangout either with friends or family the only they do that at are restaurants which are glitchy, bars, parks, and gyms are also boring and so is bowling.
    Yes.
    Used to play the sims 3 a lot but I don't have a strong enough computer for it.
    I'm interested in any life simulation game at this point.
  • nightowl1nightowl1 Posts: 89 Member
    6 months
    I've stopped for 6 months and haven't brought any DLC for longer than that.

Why have you stopped?

A few reasons.

Because of how I feel EA (just an opinion) seems to include content that should be a part of other packs, but are used to buff up that pack instead so it doesn't look so bare. (E.g. pool floats were available in Sims 3 Seasons, but they were left out and included with Island Living...)

At least in the Sims 2/3 the wants meant something, but now they're meaningless bubbles that don't even tie in to my Sims personality or entertaining enough to occupy their/my time. Also it's sure hard to make a personality distinguishable on the Sims 4, where every trait is mostly about emotion.

The loading screens... I still can't accept that they made neighbourhoods closed. It would've been more tolerable with open sections where there wouldn't be a loading screen between homes.

Having to rely on mods to make the game fun.

Pets, Bowling Night Stuff, Get Together, Seasons, Perfect Patio, Parenthood... I think that's it. Regret purchasing them.

Sims 3, so far I've only got that and Seasons installed. Shocking how Sims 3 Seasons feels like the Sims 4 Seasons but with 'Spooky Stuff' and the sunburns/tanning/pool floats from 'Island Living' added in...

Not unless they add in more depth, don't take 6 whole years to start listening to the community, don't miss out on adding things that came with previous basegames (e.g. pools when they were first missing from TS4), and actually improve on previous gameplay while not scrapping well-appreciated features (e.g. proper wants/fears, burglars/police/firefighters).

I apologise if this sounds sorta critical. this is just my opinion, straight from the heart.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited May 2020
    a few months
    Partly because I'm doing a legacy in Sims 3. Partly because I find Sims 4 boring. Sims 3 bores me sometimes too, but I seem to have an easier time remedying it.

I have every pack for Sims 4, and Eco Living pre-ordered.

No, I'm not interested in Sims 5.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    1 year
    Since the Island pack... I got bored with it within one day and haven't got any interest in the packs since... I'm a family players and kids and teens are just BORING right now.
  • BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    a few weeks
    Why have you stopped?
    This game is so dry right now for me. I refuse to use mods that really effect the game play, and when you don't have those kinds of mods, there is absolutely nothing to do. Last time I played was in early March, for about 30 minutes. I want to play this game, but when I opened up my game, I didn't know what to do. It's just so boring and repetitive and the same thing over and over again. And I feel like the last 5 packs or so (maybe every single pack too, excluding seasons) they released had no effect on the game, and if I were to play my game right now, I would have no clue that I spent over $500. That's a problem to me. It just makes me so mad.

Yes, I have all of them.

Kind of. I've been playing The Sims 3 way more recently and frequently than the Sims 4. Frankly, I've been having way more fun with Sims 3 than I've had with Sims 4 in the past years. Even though The Sims 4 has been out longer, I feel like there's more to the Sims 3, and I don't have to sit there bored not knowing what to do and go through the same old repetitive routine.

Are you interested in TS5
    Yes, but no. My expectations are very low. Very. Judging by what the Sims team is doing with The Sims 4, it has unfortunately lowered my expectations for the future of this franchise. My bet is it's either going to be complete garbage or just under The Sims 4. What I am excited for is Paralives. I'm excited, I don't have too many expectations, but I'm more excited for Paralives than the Sims 5 by a long shot. If the Sims 5 is what I'm expecting, I'm going to be disappointed and go to different games.

Sorry for the half-rant. With the release of Pollution Lifestyle (eco lifestyle), I've lost hope in the game and it's made me a mad.
    Proud simmer