Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    My tips. Give your individual Saves a name, maybe the starting family or a title, you'll remember it better if you want to go back to it later.

Also: Make two copies of your save (check time saved) so that you can use the other if something goes terribly wrong - like you want to put in a fire alarm that you forgot to put in before your Sim burnt to death in the first! Save the best version over the other after!

And: Save often........
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    edited April 2020
    @BlackjackWidow
    Thank you for sharing my challenge.
    <3o:) I love starting with nothing and building from there. The only money cheat I use is to take money away!
    I just played thru the Rosebud challenge using only base game options. It was great fun.
  • A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    Barney111 wrote: »
    I play the sims4, having the get to work pack i find the doctor career very difficult to do compared to the other one! I spend most the day trying to just diagnose 1 person that i then struggle to get anything else done! Anyone else had this problem and found a way past it?

It’s been awhile since I played doctor but there are about four or five interactions you need to do and then you should be able to diagnose the sim. After you complete one task the next usually pops up. I can’t remember what the tasks are but it’s something like “take temperature” “assess patient” “take sample” “take X-ray”. As long as you’re doing these to the same sim you should get the “make diagnosis” option and one of the diseases will be highlighted. If it’s still unclear which diagnosis to make you can usually guess by looking at the sim and their thought bubbles. If the “make diagnosis” option doesn’t come up then just keep doing tasks that pop up until the green work bar at the top right of the screen is full and the coin thingy turns gold. Once I get that full I do whatever I want to skill up or fill needs.
  • A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    A couple of things I’ve learned are that when you move you can put things you want to take with you into your household inventory (in build/buy mode) like the shower you upgraded to self cleaning or the expensive fridge you don’t want to have to buy again. Items depreciate so if you buy something for $1,000 and use it for awhile you’ll only get like $800 when you sell it. Also if you pause the game right after your sim moves before they do anything or enter the house and go into build/buy you can sell any superfluous or unwanted items from the lot before they’ve depreciated in price.

And something I wish I had done early on was to make a “game template” that I can use to start every new game because I got really tired of spending hours adding extra lots like the spa and bowling alley and customizing others to add things like the rock climbing wall or toddler potties on community lots every time I started a new game.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    Keep in mind, (though saving a new one and calling it something different is what I do, though not too much to clutter up my save slots), that if a save does become corrupt, you can go back up to 4 saves on the one save slot.

I generally make a new save at a new part of story or whatever in the game. Or switching between my main households. I keep an active save like "Build Mode 404" for awhile then make a new one later "Build Mode 505". Delete the old one after awhile. Keeps the save slot fresh. You can turn an auto-save on in settings. I've not had to do that, but it may help if you forget to save often. Especially on an unreliable device.

I actually bought a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for my desktop since it's my gaming computer. A power glitch for even a split second (Or the cat pulling out the cord or something, lol) could force it to reboot. It's already proven handy. I could keep playing for about an hour or two, but if there is a power outage I just wrap up what I'm doing, shut-down, then go do something on my laptop. Like play Sim City 4, (An old game now)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• winter_loverwinter_lover Posts: 1 New Member
    hey, so I am on ps4 what is a shift and all that on ps4? and will ps4 get cc? thanks for making the best game, in my opinion, :) keep up the good work o:) <3
  • singularuniversesingularuniverse Posts: 29 Member
    If you're new to building or furnishing and not sure where to start, search up home floor plans! Often these include not only rooms and doors, but also show where furniture should go and it can be great inspiration. If you have social media, there are plenty of accounts and pages you can follow too that will post similar things - some are even coloured renders or detailed drawings rather than just a flat image. Watch YouTubers, find your fellow simmers on the internet and see what they're making.

And don't worry about how the roof looks. Trust me, you're not going to see it often when you play and everybody struggles with those.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    edited April 2020
    And don't worry about how the roof looks. Trust me, you're not going to see it often when you play and everybody struggles with those.

True. I did struggle with roofs. I like making roofs now. Hated it at first. :D;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• mattiemayhemmattiemayhem Posts: 47 Member
    i began with my sims obsession by watching my childhood friend play the sims 2. i was then reintroduced to the sims 3 in high school and got obsessed with it. easily over 1k hours into that game. now i'm putting just as many hours into the sims 4. if i knew what i knew when i began, i dont think I would have played it as long as i did. i went into it because it was this massive world that i carried a lot of stories into! and the exploration is what keeps me interested! thats why storylines and challenges keep me so invested.

if i were to tell myself anything, id tell them to save every. single. family. save your legacy characters, save your favorite sims and back them up somewhere. ive lost a loooot of incredible sims that way.
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    hey, so I am on ps4 what is a shift and all that on ps4? and will ps4 get cc? thanks for making the best game, in my opinion, :) keep up the good work o:)<3

Try this guide to see if it helps :)
    Gameplay controls for The Sims 4 on console
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/gameplay-controls-in-the-sims-4-console/
  • gogojellygogojelly Posts: 24 Member
    > @mattiemayhem said:
    > i began with my sims obsession by watching my childhood friend play the sims 2. i was then reintroduced to the sims 3 in high school and got obsessed with it. easily over 1k hours into that game. now i'm putting just as many hours into the sims 4. if i knew what i knew when i began, i dont think I would have played it as long as i did. i went into it because it was this massive world that i carried a lot of stories into! and the exploration is what keeps me interested! thats why storylines and challenges keep me so invested.
    >
    > if i were to tell myself anything, id tell them to save every. single. family. save your legacy characters, save your favorite sims and back them up somewhere. ive lost a loooot of incredible sims that way.

Yes! it's been so on and off for me as well! I agree storylines keep me pretty invested as well.
    Hey there! I am a long time simmer but new to any kind of forum. I would love to share my sims lit stories that I have on a blog, what would be the best way to share them as a "new member"?
  • ThatPlumbobRobThatPlumbobRob Posts: 295 Member
    > @Bobbilicious said:
    > A piece of advice to our new Simmers: Have patience. :P
    > This game will teach you patience, that I am sure of, but you will need patience to go through loading households, loading CAS, etc.
    >
    > And save your game!! I personally save my game every sim day and if something special has happened. To decrease the change of corrupting your save file; use "save as" instead of "save".
    > I have a couple of saves of the same households that looks like this:
    > "Household family name, week3,day1"
    > "Household family name, week3,day2"
    > "Household family name, week3,day3"
    >
    > I generally keep two or three saves of the household to use as a backup just in case the latest one does get corrupted.

Is thata regular issue? Save corruptions?

3iv0MGa.png
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @ThatPlumbobRob I've never had any save corruption and i play sims 4 since day 1. But i do make backups just in case...
  • SimsNoelaniSimsNoelani Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi 👋
    I’m new here to the forums. I’ve recently re-discovered The Sims and afternoon playing around with it, decided to make a town full of people and play out a story!! Wish me luck !!
  • SimmerQuinnSimmerQuinn Posts: 5 New Member
    > @SimsNoelani said:
    > Hi 👋
    > I’m new here to the forums. I’ve recently re-discovered The Sims and afternoon playing around with it, decided to make a town full of people and play out a story!! Wish me luck !!

Good luck re discovering sims is the best!
  • SimmerQuinnSimmerQuinn Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi guys I'm new to the forums, but have been playing since Sims 1. I decided I really want to try more story telling and challenges in the Sims any advice for adding links and/or challenges to the forums?
    > @SimmerQuinn said:
    > Hi guys I'm new to the forums, but have been playing since Sims 1. I decided I really want to try more story telling and challenges in the Sims any advice for adding links and/or challenges to the forums?

Awesome I can relate, I have been very interested in the storytelling aspect and have been trying to figure out how to share them. There's a guide to Sims Lit on this forum (found in the creative corner), I've mostly referred to that. As new members we can't post links yet. However I have uploaded my stories on to a free blog (wordpress), once you become a member you should be able to share your links.
  • Kierenjessica99Kierenjessica99 Posts: 2 New Member
    CAN I RUN THE SIMS ON THIS LAPTOP?
    Lenovo Ideapad 330 A4-9125 4GB 500GB 15.6" Notebook - Onyx Black
    Specifications:
    - Processor: AMD A4-9125 (2C / 2T, 2.3 / 2.6GHz, 1MB L2)
    - Graphics: Integrated AMD Radeon R3 Graphics
    - Chipset: AMD SoC Platform
    - Memory: 4GB SO-DIMM DDR4-2133
    - Storage: 500GB HDD 5400rpm 2.5"
    - Display: 15.6" HD (1366x768)
    - Multi-touch: Trackpad yes
    - Optical: No optical drive (blank installed)
  • mrsgrizz7mrsgrizz7 Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm not new to sims, been playing since sims 2. I'm sure this is not the right place but maybe someone can direct me. I couldn't find a help thread...as I started my game up this morning (sims4), after the first 2 load screens, I got just a white screen. I couldn't get rid of it, couldn't shut down, couldn't even ctr.alt,delete. had to restart computer. now I tried other avenues to start the game, but keep getting same result. I uninstalled my game and all packs and re-installed it. still same result. can anyone help me or direct me? I'm a senior citizen and not computer or tech savvy, so please be kind. Thanks
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    mrsgrizz7 wrote: »
    I'm not new to sims, been playing since sims 2. I'm sure this is not the right place but maybe someone can direct me. I couldn't find a help thread...as I started my game up this morning (sims4), after the first 2 load screens, I got just a white screen. I couldn't get rid of it, couldn't shut down, couldn't even ctr.alt,delete. had to restart computer. now I tried other avenues to start the game, but keep getting same result. I uninstalled my game and all packs and re-installed it. still same result. can anyone help me or direct me? I'm a senior citizen and not computer or tech savvy, so please be kind. Thanks

Its possible your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run the game. Difficult to know, without knowing spesifics and what packs you have for the game. Cats & Dogs especially, is demanding. The more packs you have, the more load on your system.

Minimum and recommended requirements: Answers HeadQuarters post here.

If you are not sure what information to look for, and where to find it, I recommend getting help from someone.
  • Joyce777Joyce777 Posts: 74 Member
    Welcome all new simmers!
    Sims4 ID: LaynieJ
  • ericalynn90ericalynn90 Posts: 1 New Member
    HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!
    Is there a way in the make a sims part where u can use 2 items in the same category like if I wanna use a mod to change my eye color then I wanna use a face paint to? Is there a way to do that or no ?
  • EvangelineEvangeline Posts: 59 Member
    @ericalynn90
    It depends on what slot the CC uses! Say your eye colour CC is in the face paint slot, then you won't be able to apply face paint to your sim as well. You could download some eye colour CC which uses a different slot, like Skin Details or Rings!
  • Hallie22Hallie22 Posts: 64 Member
    When you just play for the first time. Play the tutorial first. To get a basic idea of how it works.
    Start with one sim. When you get the hang of it, you could add more sims to a household.
    If all your sims needs are low, and you can't get their needs up in time, there's a cheat for that. First press Ctrl+Shift+C. Then type in: testingcheats true . Press Ctrl+Shift+C again to make the white bar go away. {Now you can hold Shift and click on the sim. Choose cheat needs and then Make happy. Then all the needs will go up.} Repeat the part between the brackets for every sim in the household.