Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play to change in The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Expansion Pack!

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Maxis - the next EP is Eco Friendly.

Simmers - No! We never asked for this! We're not buying the pack! It should be a GP not an EP![enter abusive comments here].

Maxis - Pollution can affect all worlds and can be toggled on/off.

Simmers - Really? Eco Living is the best pack ever! So excited!

:D

Lol
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    misty4m wrote: »
    So far I'm loving the game, I can't wait to get it.

I thought we were all talking about the new expansion.
    I love parts of the sims 4 games to. just not this one. with a bit of look there is more to it, that we did not see in the first trailer, however history repeats itself first with the sims 4 base game at launch then with a lot of its packs.

enjoy the sims 4 and its new pack :)

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• HanneeHannee Posts: 36 Member
    One thing I keep thinking about is, I swear I saw that the world wouldn't start off in it's worst state (sort of a middle state of cleanliness), you get to make the choice from the start whether you let it all go or make eco-lifestyle choices to make everything really clean and beautiful.. does that mean for our current worlds that will get affected by pollution with this this expansion have a more 'beautiful and clean' surrounding if we keep up with living a more Eco friendly lifestyle? E.g more harvestables, more plants in general, back drops will change slightly? Or is the current state of our worlds the most beautiful and will deteriorate massively over the time if we live a more hazardous life?

I can't wait to see actual game play for this!
  • GwennogJonesGwennogJones Posts: 79 Member
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Living a non-eco lifestyle 😉 We'll definitely cover this in our livestream. <a href="https://t.co/ov9M3m7qA1">https://t.co/ov9M3m7qA1</a></p>&mdash; EcoGuruFrost💫 (@SimGuruFrost) <a href=" 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&quot; charset="utf-8"></script>

I like this because you can make things happen if you wish. And you can toggle it off in other worlds so that sounds great to me.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited May 2020
    The problem for me in the sims 4 isnt its packs, it's the base game the foundation its all built on but they are continuing adding things via patch so who knows what they will add to it , I dont compare packs too the previous games, For example 'get to work' has elements of open for business and ambitions, most people compare it too them that's a bad idea lol , I see it as it's not called open for business or ambitions its called get to work so I see it for what it is and what it adds to the game, it brings aliens and abductions , 3 active careers, retail businesses, baking skills etc @marcel21
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    No, Maxis. How many packs does it take to bring forth the Eco living concept and living off the grid? Ten? Let's see, two EPs, IL was an EP wasn't it? And this ,eco living. And a stuff pack Laundry Day. And a knitting pack, and so and so on. How many does it take....I think this theme has run it's course especially since you haven't been able to even touch upon what people asked for to begin with which was living off the grid, and oh, wait, Tiny living pack, for tiny houses...

I assume if occult players had gotten this many packs having to do with other Lifeforms (theme), there would be all kinds of cain being raised here to let someone else get a pack about something else and stop reusing and revisiting the same theme over and over...but alas, it seems eco friendly players have racked up and still not happy..now, why is that? Hm, maybe because none of those packs met the expectations of the consumers. 2EPs, 3 stuff packs (same related theme) and still not what they requested. And another ho hum..
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,703 Member
    I'm just glad we'll finally be able to tie it all together. 🥰.
  • puffyamiumi22puffyamiumi22 Posts: 77 Member
    I would like to see gameplay for this EP because, as is, I'm not interested. The concept itself sounds good, but I don't think this should've been an expansion pack (with the way it looks at the moment, it looks more GP worthy; could be proven wrong in the future).
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    no one asked for this.

I think a lot of people asked for it one way or another. I did too in 2018 - at least I really wanted either an Eco GP or an EP with eco stuff and animals mixed together:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/933728/would-you-buy-a-real-eco-living-gp/p1

Guess few of us expected they'd make an EP about eco stuff only though. But it's definitely a heavily requested theme.
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Maxis - the next EP is Eco Friendly.

Simmers - No! We never asked for this! We're not buying the pack! It should be a GP not an EP![enter abusive comments here].

Maxis - Pollution can affect all worlds and can be toggled on/off.

Simmers - Really? Eco Living is the best pack ever! So excited!

:D

That's not exactly a fair characterization though - the reality is that if the EP included solely what we saw, without for example affecting the entire world, or having more hobbies / objects to craft / etc. than what's already in the trailer, then no sorry, that would definitely not warrant 40 to me. That would be a GP for me - even if the world had more lots than usual.
  • MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    edited May 2020
    Meat wall?

I’m guessing it’s synthetic meat, growing on a rack. It looks... unhygienic to say the least.

A farming pack wouldn’t need meat, I suppose. We could just get milk from cows, eggs from chickens. I didn’t think they’d include meat in a farm pack unless it was magically harvested and your animals just got skinnier and you had to fatten them up again, which would be cute.

Synthetic meat is a difficult one. It’s not realistic at this point - it’s insanely expensive to produce, and I don’t think it’s FDA approved yet either. Think of how much work goes into producing it: the lab space (so electricity for powering machines, lights, building materials, construction), sterile procedures, growing proteins ex vivo, chemicals, etc. I have no idea where science is at with lab grown meat - have we created actual muscle, complete with intramuscular fat, iron and vitamins? Or are we also reliant on supplements to go with the muscle proteins? Also, let me tell you as a scientist: the amount of plastic, rubber and glass that we have to single use and incinerate is off the charts! To be sterile we have to use single-use gloves, dishes, pipette tips, bottles... It’s expensive and it’s not any better for the planet than sustainable farming.

Extensive farming with a focus on renewable and sustainable practice is infinitely better than lab grown meat, and likely more nutritionally sound as well.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Meat wall?

I’m guessing it’s synthetic meat, growing on a rack. It looks... unhygienic to say the least.

A farming pack wouldn’t need meat, I suppose. We could just get milk from cows, eggs from chickens. I didn’t think they’d include meat in a farm pack unless it was magically harvested and your animals just got skinnier and you had to fatten them up again, which would be cute.

Synthetic meat is a difficult one. It’s not realistic at this point - it’s insanely expensive to produce, and I don’t think it’s FDA approved yet either. Think of how much work goes into producing it: the lab space (so electricity for powering machines, lights, building materials, construction), sterile procedures, growing proteins ex vivo, chemicals, etc. I have no idea where science is at with lab grown meat - have we created actual muscle, complete with intramuscular fat, iron and vitamins? Or are we also reliant on supplements to go with the muscle proteins? Also, let me tell you as a scientist: the amount of plastic, rubber and glass that we have to single use and incinerate is off the charts! To be sterile we have to use single-use gloves, dishes, pipette tips, bottles... It’s expensive and it’s not any better for the planet than sustainable farming.

Extensive farming with a focus on renewable and sustainable practice is infinitely better than lab grown meat, and likely more nutritionally sound as well.

You're undeniably right.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    https://youtu.be/LSsukffc8eY

I made a video, cause that's what I do.

Though honestly, that's before they said that it affects other worlds, so that's one criticism gone. Now can you turn the whole thing back and forth? Do they cough all the time if you set it to smog?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    Meat wall?

I just saw that gif....that was very disturbing and disgusting lol How does meat grow like that on a rack? Ew... I tried searching and didn't see anything similar to that....so I'm guessing it's just in the sims?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Meat wall?

To be honest a farming addon shouldn't include just the positiv things, like the friendly picture from the advertisment. Today, farms are an ugly business.

When your animals are old and sick or you have appetite for meat, then you have to kill them, because you won't them suffer much long. Male chicks are going into the shredder. Diseases will kill whatever you produced, drought, frost or too much rain damage your crops. When you fertilize your fields too much, you pollute the environment and the water, which will have a negative impact on your community. When you drive big harvestmachines on the fields you will compress the earth, which decrease your following harvests more and more. Growing monoculture will kill insects and makes it harder for bees to produce honey and birds to survive.
  • BoyfriendBoyfriend Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2020
    What happened to self contained experiences being game packs?? Is this gonna be a strangerville amount of content from the price of an expansion? Certainly hope not. Farming and horses are the top request left from theam madness and people have been asking for literal years but no lets keep ignoring the masses. And how many of those lots are fake? You cant just give us a new ep world with less lots than gamepacks and expect it to fly. EA is getting stingier and stingier....
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm just kind of meh on this pack. It looks O.K., but nothing really excites me about it. It's nice to see Death by Flies return, the trash and smog look cool, and the fashion looks like it's a little edgier than most other packs...but that's about it. I'm disappointed that there's no evidence in the trailer of toxic waste/mutagenic ooze that could mutate our sims or give them powers, no pollution-born monsters to worry about if you leave the world nasty or let it get worse, no Hoggish Greedly polluter industrialist route to create an antagonist for our Planeteers...just a playable PSA. The best we can hope for here is a big upgrade to plant sims in this pack...but I didn't even see any evidence of that in the trailer, and the apparent intended theme of this pack would be perfect for that!

So, another disappointing EP trailer for me. Maybe future trailers or gameplay demos can prove me wrong, but as it stands now, the only thing I'd buy the pack for is aesthetics.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • JhinizzleJhinizzle Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm excited for Eco Lifestyle but I need the Sims developers to realize that this is NOT what we want. I can already tell that this is gonna be shallow because the sims 4 is REALLY shallow. We want depth especially to relationships and friendships. My sim having friends is more annoying that anything else and I only have them date/fall in love in order to make babies since I like having pregnant sims. We need more depth to pregnant sims too. Pregnant sims only have a few interactions like asking to rub their bellies and asking their due date. They get morning sickness and then they go into labour. There's more to pregnancy than that. I wanna see tense moodlets because they're gonna be first time parents or confident moodlets depending on traits or if it's not their first child. I wanna see cravings or food that make them nauseous. I wanna see pregnancy mood swings. We need depth guys.
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don't get why we get this when we had meat, cheese and egg plants in TS3 that didn't look gross. Funny yes, but not gross. This huge square of meat looks unpleasant. Especially when I think of it being placed outside, on a warm sunny day (like in the screenshot). Just... Flies, parasites and the smell. Good that it's just a game.

I also don't see the point of growing fake (vegan?) meat like this. Why would you need to cook it for your vegetarian sim? Unlike in real life, you can still eat meat dishes and never think of where that meat came from. So if you want, you can think that ALL the meat in the game world grows in gardens. And no animal is getting killed for a grilled steak. Because we don't know how meat in the Sims world is made. And that's why I don't think it's necessary to draw a line between vegan meat and just meat in the game. In your mind, all meat there can be vegan.

And that's what I don't like about TS4. It really points out the differences between people. The previous parts of the game were made the way that those differences existed, but no specific attention was paid to them. You could drink "juice" that, in fact, was slightly different from other drinks. But you'd never be an addict. You could be a vegetarian, but even if you weren't, you'd still know that meat comes from the garden and no animal suffers in the process. You could be a criminal, a villian, but never cause mortal harm or sexual violence. And now we either have things cut out because they are considered harmful and disturbing (those rumors about thieves cut out because they "traumatize" players) or have more content than we need to represent things that don't require extra representation because they are already there, like veganism (because sims have never caused their animals any harm).

We don't even have FIREFIGHTERS in the game to put out fires in our sims houses. But now have climate problems that your neighbourhood can easily deal with while having fun and drinking canned juice.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    MrSpaceman wrote: »
    I don't get why we get this when we had meat, cheese and egg plants in TS3 that didn't look gross. Funny yes, but not gross. This huge square of meat looks unpleasant. Especially when I think of it being placed outside, on a warm sunny day (like in the screenshot). Just... Flies, parasites and the smell. Good that it's just a game.

I also don't see the point of growing fake (vegan?) meat like this. Why would you need to cook it for your vegetarian sim? Unlike in real life, you can still eat meat dishes and never think of where that meat came from. So if you want, you can think that ALL the meat in the game world grows in gardens. And no animal is getting killed for a grilled steak. Because we don't know how meat in the Sims world is made. And that's why I don't think it's necessary to draw a line between vegan meat and just meat in the game. In your mind, all meat there can be vegan.

It does look disturbing. It's not fake meat, it's just grown in a lab from stem cells. I wouldn't call it vegetarian/vegan safe meat, it's just genetically engineered meat to grow only the steak part of the animal.
    It does look disturbing. It's not fake meat, it's just grown in a lab from stem cells. I wouldn't call it vegetarian/vegan safe meat, it's just genetically engineered meat to grow only the steak part of the animal.
    I don't understand what it's even for.
    I don't understand what it's even for.

I think it's supposed to be ecological and animal friendly.
    @crocobaura
    The Sims world itself is animal friendly. Like I wrote in my previous comment, sims have never killed animals to eat them.
  • NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    The meat wall. I'm gonna need a the gameplay trailer to explain that because it looks wild. From looking at Twitter and all the comments made about it, my guess is that there are new harvestables that you can grow on the vertical wall and they grow "meaty" roots that Sims can eat.
    @crocobaura
    The Sims world itself is animal friendly. Like I wrote in my previous comment, sims have never killed animals to eat them.

My sims eat turkey dinner, bacon and fish. Now they will eat grubs, crickets and lab grown unidentified meat. o:) Maybe some kind modder will re-mesh the lab meat into something less disturbing looking.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    @crocobaura

My sims eat turkey dinner, bacon and fish. Now they will eat grubs, crickets and lab grown unidentified meat. o:) Maybe some kind modder will re-mesh the lab meat into something less disturbing looking.

That is a mod I would instantly download.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: