Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Lifestyle, or The Sims 4 Is Done

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited May 2020
    Renato10 wrote: »
    "The sims have the best personalities of all the games"

I don't want to judge you and everyone have different tastes but... HOW? How do you manage to think that? I kinda wish I could say something like that!

^Basically what I just answered in response to the other post written at the same time haha. Sims 4 personalities don't fight against story tellers. I want to create a story and Sims 2 and 3 sims are just frustrating, they do their own thing, fight against you, you want this person to be your best friend/romantic interest whatever... too bad, they don't like that other Sim. Sims 4 whatever you imagine, you can play out, you can acutlaly tell stories instead of the Sims telling them for you. And no worries, you can have diff tastes without me feeling judged haha!
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member

I don't want to judge you and everyone have different tastes but... HOW? How do you manage to think that? I kinda wish I could say something like that!

^Basically what I just answered in response to the other post written at the same time haha. Sims 4 personalities don't fight against story tellers. I want to create a story and Sims 2 and 3 sims are just frustrating, they do their own thing, fight against you, you want this person to be your best friend/romantic interest whatever... too bad, they don't like that other Sim. Sims 4 whatever you imagine, you can play out, you can acutlaly tell stories instead of the Sims telling them for you. And no worries, you can have diff tastes without me feeling judged haha!

Thas fine. I personally prefere The Sims 2 and 3 because I like the unpredictable things that might happen.
    edited May 2020

Thas fine. I personally prefere The Sims 2 and 3 because I like the unpredictable things that might happen.

I keep autonomy on, but I line up tasks so that i can micromanage my sims haha! Sometimes unpredictable stuff happens, and sometimes I don't mind but most the time I'd prefer it not to.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Even as soon as I first bought sims 4 I couldn't figure out why I was bored so quickly whereas sims 2 I could not get off the game after playing for hours. This entire franchise has been lacking, and continuously recycling content into things only playable in that world. They've completely ignored what people have been wanting in an EP. University was exciting til I learned you couldn't actually play the sim inside the class so I didn't buy it. Just a "send your sim to school/work" with dorms similar to apartments in city living, wowee. Sims 4 keeps going further and further downhill and at this point I am not excited for sims 5 because if this is sims 4, I don't even want to see what disappointment sims 5 would be. With the whole checklist thing, they're going in the wrong direction making sims a story game. It's a dollhouse game. Yes we want sims to have individual stories (otherwise theres no point having playable npcs when they're a blank slate), but as a point and click game following a checklist of tasks is not fun, it's not an open world game where you are physically doing the task. Clearly EA doesn't care about sims anymore, or Maxis needs an overhaul of employees. Judging by how horrible this EP is, I lost my hope for the knitting pack too, I just know it's going to be another "well it's not exactly what I expected but still playable" like everything released for this game.

I'm the opposite. Sims 2 (and 3) are extremely boring to me. I have tried over and over to like them, but after an hour or so I shut it off bored out of my mind each time I play. I have them both, I don't have all the packs for 3 but for 2 I do. Even before 4 was released though I got excited and would spend maybe an hour two every day for a week but then loose interest for years. (Same with Sims 1 tbh, I spent more time on it than the later ones) I think they are all good games, not great, but good. After playing Sims 4 I just can't seem to go back (I've tried, it doesn't work)

Sims 4 on the other hand I don't seem to ever get bored of. I can play for sooo many hours. The sims have the best personalities of all the games, the art style is by far the best, the emotions could use some minor tweaking, especially when it comes to mourning, but it's minor enough that the game is still easily the best of them all so far, whether with or without mods (I use a couple of them in about 50% of my gaming sessions)

I do agree about university though, I wish we could follow the Sims to class and bikes should have been for kids too. It's definitely my least favourite expansion and I regret getting it full price, but the expansion before it, IL is my all time favourite expansion (I have them all) and I still can't get enough of it even after moving all my families there full time. So overall I wouldn't say it's going down hill.

I like sims 4 best as well @SimAlexandria
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    It's not the death knell. You can see from posts here that majority of people are still going to buy this game anyway. People saying, lets just try it, im a completetionist, i bought it just for X item, etc. EA is banking on those sales.

I knew from early on The Sims 4 is lacking and they aren't/can't fix it. So I wait on Sims 5. I got TS4 half off and bought camping game pack on sale. That's all I bought these past years. Even with all the free updates from expansions being put into base game it's still lacking for me. I feel fine with my purchases because they weren't a waste.

Until people stop buying stuff like this or Sims 5, things will continue.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • M1ss_PlumbumM1ss_Plumbum Posts: 189 Member
    I love Eco Lifestyle Pack!!! ☀️💚✌️🌸😘
  • urygauryga Posts: 559 Member
    edited May 2020
    I Like what I see, 1st time Im really excited for a pack thats fresh and new and the concept is close to my heart, Good Job
    Cant wait to play it and hope Im alive to play it
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2020
    Well I'm definitely buying and not to complete a collection. But because the more I learn the more I like what I see. To say it's the death of it seems a bit extreme. A lot of people didn't like strangerville either...😶
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    Placebo7 wrote: »
    @blackwolf10799 "This entire franchise has been lacking, and continuously recycling content into things only playable in that world."

You're exactly right. The game has always been intolerable compared to previous iterations, for anyone who likes depth. For people who think Instagram is the real world, I suppose this is the game for them. But for those who liked the depth of personality, consequence, memory, and real emotion, there has never been anything in TS4 approaching that.

The question was just will they ever try to FIX it and bring back the game as it should be. The answer now is clear to me: no.

I dunno, it's my favourite and I don't usesocial media haha, def. not an instagram user, I think that's for a younger generation or something. Just got my first cellphone actually last year haha so I'm not really up to date on all that stuff. But I'm a writer and the strict limitations sims 2 and 3 have make it quite boring to someone who wants to create stories rather than have the Sims do their own thing. They are more like watching tv then creating and Sims 4 finally allows for imagination and creativity to be a part of the game play. The depth is there, you just have to imagine and create it yourself.

Bolded part.... as if TS4 Sims don't do their own thing? Lol Like get up from the table to go hug, run down the street to talk to someone, get water over and over, talk when you told them to sit down, turn off free will only to see them get up and go interfere in my filming of another Sim doing something though I commanded sit down and stay out of view... Oh, yeah, TS4 Sims never, ever do their own thing.... ;):'( Told you to stop turning the TV station to Romance...don't want any weird romances going on when you get in a 'mood' silly Sim..I guess none of that counts as 'doing their own thing'.

Oh, and my favorite pet peeve, nice dining table directed Sim to sit here...only to watch them get up and move from chair to chair... or worse take it to a bedroom where some other Sim is located...yep TS4 Sims never, ever do their own thing... :p

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited May 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Placebo7 wrote: »
    @blackwolf10799 "This entire franchise has been lacking, and continuously recycling content into things only playable in that world."

You're exactly right. The game has always been intolerable compared to previous iterations, for anyone who likes depth. For people who think Instagram is the real world, I suppose this is the game for them. But for those who liked the depth of personality, consequence, memory, and real emotion, there has never been anything in TS4 approaching that.

The question was just will they ever try to FIX it and bring back the game as it should be. The answer now is clear to me: no.

I dunno, it's my favourite and I don't usesocial media haha, def. not an instagram user, I think that's for a younger generation or something. Just got my first cellphone actually last year haha so I'm not really up to date on all that stuff. But I'm a writer and the strict limitations sims 2 and 3 have make it quite boring to someone who wants to create stories rather than have the Sims do their own thing. They are more like watching tv then creating and Sims 4 finally allows for imagination and creativity to be a part of the game play. The depth is there, you just have to imagine and create it yourself.

Bolded part.... as if TS4 Sims don't do their own thing? Lol Like get up from the table to go hug, run down the street to talk to someone, get water over and over, talk when you told them to sit down, turn off free will only to see them get up and go interfere in my filming of another Sim doing something though I commanded sit down and stay out of view... Oh, yeah, TS4 Sims never, ever do their own thing.... ;):'( Told you to stop turning the TV station to Romance...don't want any weird romances going on when you get in a 'mood' silly Sim..I guess none of that counts as 'doing their own thing'.

Oh, and my favorite pet peeve, nice dining table directed Sim to sit here...only to watch them get up and move from chair to chair... or worse take it to a bedroom where some other Sim is located...yep TS4 Sims never, ever do their own thing... :p

Mine always eat dinner at the dining table and gather around it for other things. In fact it seems to be the fav spot in all my Sims households... Maybe because I have them set the table first? I dunno, I've never had an issue with them eating elsewhere though unless I don't have enough seats for them all and then the ones that didn't get a chair will either stand up and eat beside the table or go sit in the living room.

They also don't get water and do that other stuff, but I think it's because I keep tasks lined up for them one after the other and micromanage everything they do. That being said, I wouldn't care if they do. I wasn't talking about mundane tasks when I said about them not doing their own thing. A Sim having a glass of water is hardly going to ruin a story line.

• Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited May 2020
    I definitely understand why people are so upset about this recent announcement, though I have to admit that I'm going to be one of those people eventually buying the pack because of one feature alone...the world in my case, since I've been dying for a post-apocalyptic ghetto world to use some of my *not-to-be-mentioned-mods* in. I couldn't care less about the gameplay of this pack, I just want this world, put some of my criminal sims in there and have fun with mods. I still won't get it at release though, I am gonna be patient and wait for a sale.

I also feel like they kinda wasted potential here. With a world like this, they could have instead made a crime-oriented pack and added back burglars, while using the eco theme in a green countryside world alongside farm gameplay.

Btw, I totally get what you're saying @SimAlexandria. As someone who both plays TS3 and TS4, TS4 is much more forgiving towards storytelling players. In TS3, it's really hard to fix relationships after one partner caught the other cheating, for example, while in TS4, it's really easy to save the relationship. That's what many players criticize about TS4, but I see it as neither better nor worse to TS3's ways, they're simply different games. That's why I never plan my TS3 sims' stories in advance, due to the game's unpredictable nature, whereas for TS4, I do it all the time because there's not much that could interrupt my plans. To summarize, I play TS3 more as a game, while I play TS4 more as a way to adapt my stories visually. I feel like TS4 is the better game for people who like to micromanage everything and just want a way to tell their stories, while TS3 and TS2, maybe even the original sims (I don't know anything about it tbh) are more for players who like surprises and consequences.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    You’ll come into this town which is miraculously the only town with a pollution problem, follow hand-holding, scripted checklists, and done.
    Have to highlight this, because that's one of amongst pet peeves simmers have with TS4, to regards with expansion packs. They limit everything to the world each EP introduces (by that I mean primary game mechanics, interactions, builds or what not). City living with penthouses apartments in San Myshuno only, beach swimming in sulani only, university still limited to university world only, only in [...] & only in [...]. Why not just call those particular expansion packs as "City/town playing pack" or whatever along those lines.

As for the reddit quote, while premade stories are something really not that big of deal, all it does it just show that devs had passioned for the game. While these things to handcrafting premade is little, these little things do make the game interesting when starting playing the Studio's offered neighborhood.

Literally no one likes the world restricted gameplay....I don't know why they keep doing it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GwennogJonesGwennogJones Posts: 79 Member
    Even as soon as I first bought sims 4 I couldn't figure out why I was bored so quickly whereas sims 2 I could not get off the game after playing for hours. It's gotten so much clearer over time. This entire franchise has been lacking, and continuously recycling content into things only playable in that world. They've completely ignored what people have been wanting in an EP. University was exciting til I learned you couldn't actually play the sim inside the class so I didn't buy it. Just a "send your sim to school/work" with dorms similar to apartments in city living, wowee. Sims 4 keeps going further and further downhill and at this point I am not excited for sims 5 because if this is sims 4, I don't even want to see what disappointment sims 5 would be. With the whole checklist thing, they're going in the wrong direction making sims a story game. It's a dollhouse game. Yes we want sims to have individual stories (otherwise theres no point having playable npcs when they're a blank slate), but as a point and click game following a checklist of tasks is not fun, it's not an open world game where you are physically doing the task. Clearly EA doesn't care about sims anymore, or Maxis needs an overhaul of employees. Judging by how horrible this EP is, I lost my hope for the knitting pack too, I just know it's going to be another "well it's not exactly what I expected but still playable" like everything released for this game.

I have enjoyed the Sims4 a lot, but I agree. I am a Sims2 player at heart because I just felt they were all quite crazy. I felt they had deeper personalities. It's been a while since I've played it, but my interest for Sims4 does drop quite quickly. I don't want them to be blank slates, I want some system where they decide they are going to do something and I choose to allow it or not. I want them to get mad if someone hurts their feelings. Rude introductions mean nothing as they are friends two minutes later.

Despite all of this, it has entertained me enough over the last few months (but that's because I've had to refresh it with new packs more often than not). I love the way it looks, and I really don't mind a few aspects that other people hate. I think cars would be very boring (just a moving loading screen imo) and I didn't care for the open world of s3. I like being forced to make the home the most interesting place. But there we go.

Maybe some changes will come if we keep asking for them. Not packs - but personalities. However ---> I actually think this EP WILL introduce some connection between our sims! I think we might find that we are having sims work against us, and that might even include different outcomes or emotions. (I.e. when you vote a certain way in the community lot??(
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

Btw, I totally get what you're saying @SimAlexandria. As someone who both plays TS3 and TS4, TS4 is much more forgiving towards storytelling players. In TS3, it's really hard to fix relationships after one partner caught the other cheating, for example, while in TS4, it's really easy to save the relationship. That's what many players criticize about TS4, but I see it as neither better nor worse to TS3's ways, they're simply different games. That's why I never plan my TS3 sims' stories in advance, due to the game's unpredictable nature, whereas for TS4, I do it all the time because there's not much that could interrupt my plans. To summarize, I play TS3 more as a game, while I play TS4 more as a way to adapt my stories visually. I feel like TS4 is the better game for people who like to micromanage everything and just want a way to tell their stories, while TS3 and TS2, maybe even the original sims (I don't know anything about it tbh) are more for players who like surprises and consequences.

This. And thanks :)

All the games are good games... it's obvious by how many people love each. I'd go ahead and say they are all equally good, BUT they aren't all equally good for each individual's play style. For mine, Sims 4 is fantastic and for others it lacks what they need to play the way they want. But for myself and others the early versions lack what we need to play the way we want. None of the games are better or worse as a whole, but on a personal level they are.

It doesn't bother me at all when people criticize sims 4, it only bothers me when they make it out like it's lacking for EVERYONE and say NOBODY wanted different things because I'd prefer to speak for myself rather than have others speak for me, especially if what's being said isn't true for me haha.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited May 2020
    My only gripe about this pack is that an EP centered around a heavily polluted area was the perfect opportunity to add mutants, super powers, and mutagenic ooze to the game...and they flubbed it. Nope, gotta make a happy upcycling and urban renewal pack. When will I be able to give my sims the 90's action cartoon protagonist treatment, already? Yeesh!

On the upshot, at least it looks like Death by Flies is finally making a comeback. People still want more deaths...right...?
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • nightowl1nightowl1 Posts: 89 Member
    Death by Flies, if only they included for free in the the basegame like the Sims 2. *sighs*
    Haha I think the death is the one thing I DON"T like in the pack. I wish there was a toggle off to make it so Sims can't ever die. Actually, I'm not too fond of the way the guy is cuddling with the worm either lol. The bug house is great, but cuddling them is a bit strange...

Can't wait til June 5!
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I was actually so confused with the trailer. Upon first watching it, the worm looked like a chick to me, and I know people wanted chickens in the game, so I thought it must be that. But...it's really just a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 worm? What were they thinking? "Oh, people want farm animals like chickens, what could we do about that?" "Add worms to the game, yellow ones, they look similar and fit the theme more!"
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    I will say this until I am bluer than my sims grandpa, STORY PROGRESSION.

Will it save the sims? Plum no! But it would bring life to the world enough for some of us to find something to do, even if it's waiting for Don Lothario to bolt by the house, getting chased down by the Caliente women because he hasn't paid child support.

Personally, the eco idea is cool, it's cool, looks fun, But it needs depth, you need life around it, you need drama, sims wanting change and sims not wanting change, crime, grunge, death, sickness, aggressive animals hanging in the alley waiting to pounce on some unsuspecting dumpster divers out to save a quick buck.

I agree that the sims 4 feels done, not as in they've met the content amount, but as in their fanbase/support is done. While somehow, at the same time, they are still just behind the line of done so it's basically a cliff hanger, simmers are watching them dangle over a cliff trying to take an epic selfie with just a rope and their older brothers friend holding on, about to receive a phone call saying his wife may or may not be in labor and to get his plum in gear even tho it's most likely nothing yet.

It's that fine a line you're can't help looking, simmers want to hang on to see if they get the selfie or not---if that makes any sense.

At this rate, I believe SP, cops/robbers/ some extra content updates and one semi open-world could pull it back from the brink, but that's just me.

It's kinda sad how over the sims are, going from the sims 3 rise and fall to just complete flat on the ground, face down done.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited May 2020
    I agree that the Sims themselves need fleshed out a lot. We need to give them more of a dynamic than just traits. The team seem to be giving our Sims more stuff to do, and very little on improving on Sims' personalities. A trait can only do so much.
    Do you know what is the tragedy? I am so desperate for ANY new content, for at least a new world for my sims to discover, that I am probably going to buy this EP anyway, sooner or later. I am nearly always disappointed, but I just keep hoping that every new EP will be better than it initially looks... I am part of the problem *sigh*.

I have a feeling you aren't the only one who does this. It's a vicious cycle sometimes. You buy content > You get bored > You buy content > You get bored.
    Post edited by ParmaViolet87 on
    giphy.gif
  • coldladycoldlady Posts: 7 New Member
    Don't get why they don't fix all the problems with Off the Grid-items first; missing content, not working or plain broken. But hey, standard practice apparently now, to release packs for a price, to fix stuff you allready have or should have.
    I am fairly certain the eco pack will have more off the grid-items like lighting, stoves, fridges and bath/showers.
    You just have to pay to get it...
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    The community:Here are some ideas of we want in future expansions:

-More family dynamics and social interactions
    -Mature/serious topics like life mid-life crisis, consequences for cheating on a spouse etc...
    -Farms, horses and livestock
    -Drive-able cars and motorcycles
    -Features for elders
    -Improved babies

EA: lol, y'all wanted solar panels and ladders?? That'll be $40.

You're ignoring that people voted for eco living during the first stuff pack vote. I'm not looking forward to the pack either, but you are being willfully ignorant if you think people haven't been asking for eco living.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    Gorgeoious wrote: »
    I am so disappointed and confused about this new Eco expansion pack. It don't appear to have enough content to be an expansion pack 1st of all. Am I missing something? The eco friendly theme could have been incorporated in so many other packs. The world looks horrible. I wouldn't want any of my Sims living there. Oh yeah, we're supposed to clean it up. Once we do that, then what? The Sims 4 team has some explaining to do about this pack. One reason I'm so disappointed is because I was looking forward to a new expansion pack. Now it doesn't look like I'll be getting one.

We're not supposed to clean the world. The world will change for the better or the worse depending on what the player decides to do.

Okay but this is my big issue.The world should not get worse if the person dosen't interact .By doing that you have to force them to act.The whole pack is about cleaning the environment.