Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This game is so underrated!!

sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
I bought this game a while ago but never really played it. After starting yesterday I can't believe how much fun I've been having. For starters this game runs heaps better than TS3 and looks a lot better. I kinda wish TS4 ran on this engine! The gameplay is actually very addicting. I feel like I'm actually living in a Medieval world, going to the market, being the Monarch and sending people to stocks, doing quests, levelling up, ugh it's so good!! Everyone who is interested in Medieval history should play it.

Comments

• RavennaRavenna Posts: 58 Member
    I feel like it's ridiculous this particular Sims variation got like NO marketing, meanwhile it's an improved Sims 3 engine that doesn't lag horrendously and the only issue is that you have to recreate your kingdom between quests.
    Check out my stuff on the Sims 4 gallery under the ID 'RavennaSanguine'
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Ravenna wrote: »
    I feel like it's ridiculous this particular Sims variation got like NO marketing, meanwhile it's an improved Sims 3 engine that doesn't lag horrendously and the only issue is that you have to recreate your kingdom between quests.

Yeah I agree, I remeber when it first came out and they marketed it a little bit on their streams and stuff but it didn't get the exposure like the main Sims 3 packs at the time.

The engine really is improved, my game runs perfectly. It feels as optomised as TS4.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    It is the best game in the entire sim series, no you can't change my mind.

I'm still a tiny bit mad horses were already made for ts3 engine and yet we didn't get them in the medieval setting, but it's the best.
  • miwa09miwa09 Posts: 373 Member
    I also enjoy Medieval very much. In fact, now that I read this topic I got the urge to play it once more :D
    I kind of skipped TS3 (I own it yes, but it never felt "mine" somehow), but Medieval is the coolest. I just wish the tiny bugs it has left would be fixed, but I guess they won't bother doing that :(
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited May 2020
    I really wish they would bring this game to TS4. I don't think I can play the TS3 version on my laptop. If it were a full-on sandbox game, this would be my preferred Sims game, I think.

ETA: Okay wait! I just went to Origin, and I think I might actually be able to play this on my laptop! It's $19.99 for the deluxe pack. I think I'll get it!
  • jje10001jje10001 Posts: 87 Member
    It's almost criminal that the Sims in the Sims Medieval weren't patched back into the Sims 3, especially considering that they used the same engine.

The game's biggest flaw was cutting too much of the simulation aspect out...when players really just wanted a TS3 in the Medieval era.
    I really wish they would bring this game to TS4. I don't think I can play the TS3 version on my laptop. If it were a full-on sandbox game, this would be my preferred Sims game, I think.

ETA: Okay wait! I just went to Origin, and I think I might actually be able to play this on my laptop! It's $19.99 for the deluxe pack. I think I'll get it!

Get it!! I'm sure it will run fine, it's pretty optomised as well.
    jje10001 wrote: »
    It's almost criminal that the Sims in the Sims Medieval weren't patched back into the Sims 3, especially considering that they used the same engine.

The game's biggest flaw was cutting too much of the simulation aspect out...when players really just wanted a TS3 in the Medieval era.

I actually liked the fact that they trimmed down some simulation elements tbh.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I wish there was a sims 4 pack like this
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    miwa09 wrote: »
    I also enjoy Medieval very much. In fact, now that I read this topic I got the urge to play it once more :D
    I kind of skipped TS3 (I own it yes, but it never felt "mine" somehow), but Medieval is the coolest. I just wish the tiny bugs it has left would be fixed, but I guess they won't bother doing that :(

Yay I'm glad! Honestly I've been playing it for a total of 10 hours and feel I have barely scratched the surface. There is literally so much to do.

I don't know if that would be a good thing haha. The open world of the Medieval world is awesome and runs perfectly, going through loading screens sounds like backtracking.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    sam123 wrote: »

I don't know if that would be a good thing haha. The open world of the Medieval world is awesome and runs perfectly, going through loading screens sounds like backtracking.

well there were a lot of things that I think people would enjoy from it in sims 4 having your sims be kings and queens would be really cool
    I know there's a mode but having it in game with a sims 4 twist would be cool @sam123
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited May 2020
    I love this game. I even have a (Dutch) website about The Sims Medieval and Pirates & Nobles. Every now and then I get this TSM phase and play it a lot for a couple of weeks. I think TSM never got the attention/appreciation it deserves. I have a couple of special saves/files. A while back I played all achievements so if I want I can put an old ach.package back so I can play with all achievements (and therefore special items) unlocked. But I enjoy the achievements so much that every time I start a new game my phase, I start over and play the achievements once more. A while back I also finished all ambitions on silver and/or gold so all ambitions are unlocked which means I don't have to play in a certain order to unlock all ambitions, they are all unlocked which I prefer. Finishing all ambitions on silver and/or gold doesn't matter to me. It still leaves platinum to reach and when I play for real (and not to unlock all ambitions because when I did that I played the bare minimum and achieved as less achievements as was possible), I always go for platinum. :smiley:
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

I ended up getting it. Can’t wait to be finished with my homework so I can play.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    You are right it was very much underated and unappreciated as a stand alone game. Once you get the hang of things you can take a lot more time between quests and live as much a normal Sim life as possible like in any of the other games, other than controlling other household members. But my Sims got married, had affairs, ruined lives, got in fights, got diseases, made a lot of friends and all sorts of thing inbetween any quests as I rotated among the heroes. It has a lot of TS3 interactions and TS2 interactions so it was a pretty good game in my book. My favorite theme world I created and played was LOTRs, some of the main characters of those books were my hereos...interesting to play it that way. lol Gandalf probably wound up being my best character. Some ambitions I enjoyed more than others, and I just wish they had patched a few of the quests that got flawed and never worked right after it ended.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

I ended up getting it. Can’t wait to be finished with my homework so I can play.

Yay!! Hurry and finish so you can play haha!
    Yay I'm glad! Honestly I've been playing it for a total of 10 hours and feel I have barely scratched the surface. There is literally so much to do.

According to my Origin account I've been playing 148 hours in total, oh my gosh :D And there's still so much to do!
    I got a new computer last November, and therefore I had to reinstall every sims game I had. Luckily I had backups for my LC family in TS2, but with others, Medieval for instance, I had to start off fresh. Kind of frustrating, because I had finished nearly every ambition with platinum and collected a fair amount of achievements, but on the other hand, I basically love fresh starts, it's somehow so satisfying to plan what to do and when, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I just got to relive the joy of getting the achievements and finishing the ambitions :D

@SimLibby you're more patient than I am! I'm such a perfectionist that I always go for platinum at the first playthrough, after that I can lean back and relax (or at least try haha). If I can't reach the platinum I have to google for tips for how to do that :D That goes for almost every game I play haha, except for regular sims maybe.
    I would love to get all the achievements as well, but they seem like so much work lol.
    ^ lol @miwa09. One thing I learned over the years from my Sims adventure is that I can have so much patient. Which was a fun discovery because up till that moment I always considered myself to be impatient. I didn't always play like that. I play TSM for years now and just in the last two years or so I did that with the ambitions because I really don't like the restriction: finishing one ambitions unlocks another. The achievements is indeed a lot of work. I finished them all and made extensive notes about how to finish them for my website but it's Dutch so I don't know how much use you will get out of those notes (maybe Google translate is sufficient enough). Just study them a bit. Some are automatically and easily achievement without much effort from the player, like collecting all herbs or metals, and some are easily integrated while playing, like trowing 150 tomatoes/eggs to Sims in the thingy (stocks/pillory?) If you do that at once, it's a lot. If you do couple every time your king/queen or some other hero has to be there anyway, not that much work. And some achievements are indeed time consuming. Just make sure, if you have pirates & nobles, that you do the woohoo achievements with male heroes unless you want many children (although, after the fourth child, children will be sent away and stay way - and sent presents home, you can also invite them - and children can be the heirs to heroes if the hero dies. So it does give some interesting gameplay).
    @SimLibby I may take a look of your site! I have actually studied a few courses of Dutch, so I know the basics, and I speak German and Swedish too, so that helps to understand it. It's good practice anyway! I haven't used my Dutch for a while lol.
    Thanks for the tips! I thought the children of the hero sims couldn't be the heirs anymore? I mean, they could earlier, but after some patch or something they couldn't anymore. Or at least it doesn't work in my game. But I have never got more than 2 children tops per hero sim, so I didn't even know that they will be sent away when there's more than 4. You learn something new every day!
    That is so cool @miwa09 knowing that many languages. If you know German with it's 4 grammatical cases (is that the right word, according to the dictionary it is, it sounds strange: I mean der, die, das, dem, den, etc. or ein, einer, eines, and so on), Dutch must be easy peasy, right. ;) I was so bad in those grammatical cases. One of the last tutorials I made for my TSM site was about marriage and children. This was around September 2018 so up until that moment children could be heirs. After that period, I don't know. I only played extensively with children to make those tutorials. Was there a patch after September 2018. No right? By my knowledge children can still be heirs if the hero dies (which can only happen by players choice or when you play that one quest where you kill off the king/queen). Anyway, you're welcome. Hope you enjoy those achievements.

edited May 2020
    @SimLibby oh my gosh yes you have no idea! Comparing to German for instance the grammar of Dutch is so much easier, there's barely any exceptions of rules (if there are rules at all)! I mean, look at the conjugation of adjectives for example :D And it's quite easy to read too, because of my wide knowledge of similar languages (English helps a bit too). The only difficulties I have are with listening comprehensions...
    But I'm going off topic now.
    The children should be able to be heirs also if you import a sim to next kingdom and must therefore choose a new hero sim, but they can't be even that anymore :( and I recall playing the quest you mentioned, where you kill the Monarch, and that was like last year or something. And even though my Monarch had a child, I couldn't choose the child as the next Monarch :/ Because I know that was possible earlier. Oh well. Stupid EA.
    Post edited by miwa09 on
    Really, just last year. I haven't played since then. I didn't know that @miwa09. Soon I am going to play again to see for myself. Thanks for letting me know. EA's habit of changing stuff (in TS3, TS4 and Medieval) is so frustrated when you have made extensive tutorials around that stuff. They changed a cool feature like children being able to be heir to the heroes but not buggy quests. Indeed stupid EA. And indeed, oh well. ;) It is what it is. The game is still awesome.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yeah love it, only issue they could have made diligences and horses. And the ability to build houses.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    @SimLibby I take my words back! Seems like children can be heirs, but only when the hero sim dies. I just tested. My brain likes to malfunction and misremember things like that.
    But the importing issue is what it is.
    And I don't know if anyone else has this, but I also have saving issue. If I hit the normal "Save"-button, the game screams error (error code 16 or something like that), and the only way to save my kingdoms are through "Save As". And that means I have millions of copies of my kingdom and I have manually delete the spares from my Documents folder afterwards. I just played yesterday and I hit the normal Save button and it didn't tell me the error, so I thought it was fine, but today as I opened the game in order to continue, it hadn't saved a thing. Luckily I hadn't played more than a couple of hours, but still.
    miwa09 wrote: »
    @SimLibby I take my words back! Seems like children can be heirs, but only when the hero sim dies. I just tested. My brain likes to malfunction and misremember things like that.
    But the importing issue is what it is.
    And I don't know if anyone else has this, but I also have saving issue. If I hit the normal "Save"-button, the game screams error (error code 16 or something like that), and the only way to save my kingdoms are through "Save As". And that means I have millions of copies of my kingdom and I have manually delete the spares from my Documents folder afterwards. I just played yesterday and I hit the normal Save button and it didn't tell me the error, so I thought it was fine, but today as I opened the game in order to continue, it hadn't saved a thing. Luckily I hadn't played more than a couple of hours, but still.

I haven't had that issue yet, doing a quick Google search shows that there's no real fix. However atleast you can Save As!