Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is disgusting

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    logion wrote: »

I remember contacting origin support about refunding a game that I did not like and he commented how refreshing it was to talk with a person who just simply said why they were not happy with a product but in a completely reasonable and nice manner.

This is just depressing. But unfortunately a common sentiment amongst those working in any sort of customer service :(
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    In any case ever, people can dislike whatever they want about this game and the content that gets released for it.

But it is disgusting when people turn that dislike/hatred and direct it at the developers. Can't imagine it must be easy to develop a game, so regardless of whether or not I ever like the content that gets put out, I'm forever grateful for the work and effort they put into the game, a series that's been my favorite for a very long time now.

Individual attacks are really low. If people are really that angry, I don't think it's TS4 that's their problem.
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,166 Member
    edited May 2020
    The trouble is they know they can hide away behind their computer screens and the worst that will happen is their account gets banned , It is also no use using the boredom or lockdown of the coronavirus , that doesnt excuse the behaviour , If they don't like it all they need to do is say that politely and not buy it , Most of those ranting will still buy it but are just following a herd mentalityof ranting as they think it makes them look tough and not the reality that they look like 🐸🐸🐸🐸 . No matter what game pack is released there will always be some who won't like the idea of it , But that will not stop the pack from being released as they have already put the hours in to make it .
  • muzemuze Posts: 108 Member
    I want to believe those people are just a bunch of angry teenagers and nothing more.
  • sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    I agree. I normally love the sims community. Simmers are usually so supportive of each others' play style and ideas and it hurts me to the core when I see simmers trolling others. Especially the developers. I think people forget that EA is a business and they work on quotas and budgets. Simmers and developers may suggest ideas that may not happen or may be delayed. I also think the negative reaction to this new EcoPack has something to do with the quarantine. I can tell there is a lot more content and items in the pack then what we can see in the trailer. From what I can see, they look pretty cool! Since the simgurus are stuck working at home, we haven't had our monthly SimGuru videos lately. I'm sure they would have announced it earlier and showcased the pack more than they have. Well that's my 2 cents. Remember folks, everyone is entitled to their own opinions but that's no excuse to be ugly to others about theirs.
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    It's the downside of game devs having a direct link with "fans." These people feel entitled to tell devs how to "do" their job. It's awful.
  • BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    What ever happened to "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

Constructive criticism is one thing, but a lot of recent comments and posts in response to Eco Lifestyle have crossed that line.

As I commented in the appreciation thread, I love this game and have loved it since I started playing the Sims 1 as a young kid. We are so fortunate as a community that we play a game that regularly evolves, grows, and changes with expansions (quite literally with this upcoming pack). Am I enamored with everything the Sims team develops? Of course not... Trust me, I have had some head scratching moments in response to content. But regardless of my personal preferences related to content, I am always appreciative of the effort put in by the gurus and developers. Anything that adds to this amazing game is a win in my books and I will continue to purchase packs.

There is a big difference between having some grand idea and actually putting it into action. Not every idea shared by the community on the forums can be made into reality. The game has to be developed within constraints (budget, technical, and otherwise). Just because the gurus don't make something exactly the way you want does not mean they are trying to destroy the game... they love this game as much as the community and share our passion! So again, I want to say a huge THANK YOU to the gurus. Ignore the negativity and know that there are so many of us in the community who appreciate you and your work!
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think part of that vitriol came from seeing that earlier fake leak and immediately assuming that that was the next pack in line. Yeah finding random new leaks are fun to talk about, but can we remind ourselves to take ALL leaks with a grain of salt until something official comes along? We saw ALOT of people get excited that farming was apparently next, until the actual official reveal shot that down. Maybe next time let's not to jump to conclusions?
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Sounds like the people complaining are more than likely anti-environmentalists, and don't want to be reminded of real life.

I have seen a number of comments along the lines of "The EA pushed agenda", which to me can only mean one of two things: The person objects to LGBTQ content or is anti-environment / pro-pollution. That's the only two "agendas" aside from "making ALL the money" I can think of.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2020
    Ravenna wrote: »
    It's especially bad to see considering, I do believe there is someone new on the team who helped work on this and I can't imagine how that person must feel right now, coming out the door with this new pack and seeing all this vitriol on social media like, as the first thing they see ...

Like imagine it's your first time doing this and the Gurus have to sit you down and be like "Okay so about some of the players in this community, uh ..."

I know right. With this disgusting attitude it's a wonder we get anything at all. 😒
    I was actually thinking to myself I hope they warned her first so she doesn't feel too heartbroken.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • GwennogJonesGwennogJones Posts: 79 Member
    You known I was thinking about that poor developer this morning. I just hoped that she wasn't feeling crushed. Must be awful to have headed up a project...one with a great theme that's really reflective of our time...for people to just be so harsh.

Why should the developers listen to people who have thrown an almighty spoilt temper tantrum and been so horrible?

It's not the developers fault that the bigger cogs of EA don't allow them to improve some fundamental aspects of the game. They are just doing their best to be as creative as they can.

I think people might be surprised. I bet this EP will have a lot of community building aspects in it which should hopefully lead to our Sims connecting with eachother in a whole new way.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Honestly being a game developer was on the list of potential jobs I might look into if I change my mind on my current career path. Especially since I'm already studying physics and have to learn python and other coding languages for my program. But after this definitely not. These negative responses have already affected me so badly i don't even want to play the game and I'm not even the one making the game. So imagine if I put blood, sweat and tears just to get responses like this. I couldn't do it. So just crossed that off my list.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited May 2020
    Then maybe they shouldn't be creating awful packs for the game... lol Just a thought. They did this to themselves... it's just like how they knew for a fact that 'My First Pet' would anger fans, but proceeded on doing it anyway... and then acted shocked and surprised that there was backlash... they don't deserve sympathy at all!

Also, consumers have every right to express opinions, positive or negative... since we're the ones paying for the product. That's how it works.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Then maybe they shouldn't be creating awful packs for the game... lol Just a thought. They did this to themselves... it's just like how they knew for a fact that 'My First Pet' would anger fans, but proceeded on doing it anyway... and then acted shocked and surprised that there was backlash... they don't deserve sympathy at all!

Also, consumers have every right to express opinions, positive or negative... since we're the ones paying for the product. That's how it works.

Yes. Everyone should tell their own opinions and tell feedpack but NOT attack, go personal or completely say awfull things to people.
    It's a totally different thing to criticize than this what is happening at twitter or social media in generall
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    edited May 2020
    While I can agree people shouldn;t be rude a lot of comments I have seen weren't attacks they were holding the gurus accountable and I don't see anything wrong with that. You can't blame people for getting upset when after six years we are still missing basic things, lots of the packs have recycled content and are over priced. Guru's need to hear criticism because if they are constantly patted on the back and given praise for the bare minimum nothing with the Sims is ever gonna get fixed. At the end of the day we are consumers and without there be no sims game.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I don't understand why people have to take it this far. It's one thing to express feedback or constructive criticism, but becoming overly aggressive, abusive and threatening is a whole different realm of disturbance.

I'm sorry to the devs that they have to endure this. The safety and anonymity of the internet has made many people lose themselves to aggressive immaturity. I wish there was a way to send a virtual spanking to these abominable Joffrey children.
    #Team Occult
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited May 2020
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    Honestly being a game developer was on the list of potential jobs I might look into if I change my mind on my current career path. Especially since I'm already studying physics and have to learn python and other coding languages for my program. But after this definitely not. These negative responses have already affected me so badly i don't even want to play the game and I'm not even the one making the game. So imagine if I put blood, sweat and tears just to get responses like this. I couldn't do it. So just crossed that off my list.

It's really sad that such toxic behaviour has ruled out a potential career option for you. I love the internet but I hate the way it makes people behave sometimes.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    edited May 2020
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    While I can agree people shouldn;t be rude a lot of comments I have seen weren't attacks they were holding the gurus accountable and I don't see anything wrong with that. You can't blame people for getting upset when after six years we are still missing basic things, lots of the packs have recycled content and are over priced. Guru's need to hear criticism because if they are constantly patted on the back and given praise for the bare minimum nothing with the Sims is ever gonna get fixed. At the end of the day we are consumers and without there be no sims game.

Exactly! Thank you! They seriously need to learn how to accept criticism... and learn from it. If we keep getting them passes and excuses for the poor quality packs they keep pushing out, it's just gonna keep giving them the idea that it's okay to do it... and they'll keep doing it!

This is also why I was angry when people were giving them free passes for 'My First Pet'... they essentially told EA that it's "okay" to do DLC for DLC... which means EA now thinks it's acceptable.

People need to stop being so friendly towards the developers whenever they release rushed or poorly done packs... it's time they finally learn what actual criticism is! Maybe they'll learn from it... I doubt it, though.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

Okay, now...
    I for one I have been VERY disappointed in the team and the packs lately, I have voiced my negativity A LOT...
    But there is ONE thing I will NOT agree with, no one should EVER be rude and hateful giving them awful threats and calling them hateful names...
    There is a line in that...We can all voice our negative feedback in a constructive manner without cussing at the team and calling them awful names...
    They are human beings and they don't deserve that....so this "they did this to themselves" is not an excuse to call them awful names , etc.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    As we learned looking more closely at this issue when it hit the gaming community full-force in 2014, many of these provocateurs - perhaps even most - are not even The Sims players. Eco Lifestyle was announced on gaming media across the industry, and the kind of gamer who disparages The Sims (and we know who they are) would see that, and the environmental focus, and make an 8-Chan beeline to harass and troll.

Yes, it's disgusting.

But it's different only in degree, not in kind, to Simmers here who make sweeping allegations about development, accuse the developers of laziness, shoddy work, inattention to the community, or indifference to bugs. No one goes into game development for fame and fortune. They are there because they love games, and THIS game particularly, and they really are doing their very best to give us the most entertaining gameplay they can.

Harassment on Twitter etc. is appalling. But the rudeness I see here is also a concern - and it's something we, here, can do something to curtail.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    As we learned looking more closely at this issue when it hit the gaming community full-force in 2014, many of these provocateurs - perhaps even most - are not even The Sims players. Eco Lifestyle was announced on gaming media across the industry, and the kind of gamer who disparages The Sims (and we know who they are) would see that, and the environmental focus, and make an 8-Chan beeline to harass and troll.

Yes, it's disgusting.

But it's different only in degree, not in kind, to Simmers here who make sweeping allegations about development, accuse the developers of laziness, shoddy work, inattention to the community, or indifference to bugs. No one goes into game development for fame and fortune. They are there because they love games, and THIS game particularly, and they really are doing their very best to give us the most entertaining gameplay they can.

Harassment on Twitter etc. is appalling. But the rudeness I see here is also a concern - and it's something we, here, can do something to curtail.

I doubt anyone who doesn't play the sims cares about the 100th dlc for it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Okay, now...
    I for one I have been VERY disappointed in the team and the packs lately, I have voiced my negativity A LOT...
    But there is ONE thing I will NOT agree with, no one should EVER be rude and hateful giving them awful threats and calling them hateful names...
    There is a line in that...We can all voice our negative feedback in a constructive manner without cussing at the team and calling them awful names...
    They are human beings and they don't deserve that....so this "they did this to themselves" is not an excuse to call them awful names , etc.

A mistake is human... we all make mistakes... however, they've been heavily criticized over and over and over and over and over and over again, but still refuse to learn from their mistakes. That's not okay. If this were a one or two time thing, I'd probably agree... but this isn't new for them. I mean, seriously... how hard is it to simply gain touch with your fan base!?

EA needs to rehire the developers who worked on Sims 2 and Sims 3... because they seemed to actually know what they were doing.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yeah I have not always been happy with packs, but I am learning a lot about how open minded people are by how they treat the Gurus and what they say about them behind closed doors regardless what they say about the Sims 4. End of the day Sims is a game and yes ok to share constructive feedback but when you do keep this video in mind.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=lPRBo2Gnwi4

I mean only the other day I had to tell them that I and Gurus were being called racist for wanting to the Sims 4 to be inclusive. Pretty funny on the news now they are comparing this time to the hunger games as I am writing this.

SimGuruPopcorn is sweet and has been a forum regular so her being attacked is very telling on how exclusive people are about wanting the Sims 4 to remain a close minded game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

Okay, now...

A mistake is human... we all make mistakes... however, they've been heavily criticized over and over and over and over and over and over again, but still refuse to learn from their mistakes. That's not okay. If this were a one or two time thing, I'd probably agree... but this isn't new for them. I mean, seriously... how hard is it to simply gain touch with your fan base!?

EA needs to rehire the developers who worked on Sims 2 and Sims 3... because they seemed to actually know what they were doing.

I totally agree, as long as the people giving feedback are not giving them death threats or something of that matter or calling them ugly names...
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I was literally called a bootlicker because I told people to chill out with their anger. People are acting like Maxis insulted their family by daring to do an eco-friendly pack. I'm not thrilled about the pack either, but personally insulting the developers, calling them trash, is sickening.

And yet, people will turn around and complain that the devs don't share enough with us. If I were a developer, you wouldn't be getting anything aside from teasers and trailers. No Quarterly Teasers, no Maxis Monthlys, nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top