Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Color Wheel Mod

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ZarrielZarriel Posts: 475 Member
    Oh I would SO be DL'ing that. I'm already sick of furniture that doesn't quite match up with other pieces! Not to mention the different pieces of clothes!
    Origin ID:
    coollogo_com-31276450_zps25ba3967.png

• Options
    FatescruelFatescruel Posts: 110 Member
    edited September 2014
    Seems like a mod developed for a Color Wheel is possible.

It will require a basic GUI design and code to implement a type of functionality that is user friendly. Something basic like the counter select option when you turn off the Auto-counters that pulls up the gear mechanism icon.

EXAMPLE
    8VCbHyz.png

You can access the interface the same way that you would select a color pattern for an object.
    Next, you need to "click on the rainbow colored box" inside of the preset color pattern section to bring up the color-picker GUI interface.
    The color-picker should have an interface that supports multi-color functionality.
    1. Click the top or bottom color pattern box to select the primary or secondary color assignment.
    2. Use the mouse around inside of the color field to browse through the colors.
    3. Click inside of the color field to select a color to assign to the pattern.
    4. You can also manually select a color by entering in the RGB or HEX values.
    From there, you can easily recolor any object in game. This feature also supports clothing and accessories. (*)
    Post edited by Fatescruel on
    QxkUasu.png
  • Options
    JACK14JACK14 Posts: 159 Member
    Fatescruel wrote: »

It will require a basic GUI design and code to implement a type of functionality that is user friendly. Something basic like the counter select option when you turn off the Auto-counters that pulls up the gear mechanism icon.

EXAMPLE
    8VCbHyz.png

You can access the interface the same way that you would select a color pattern for an object.
    Next, you need to "click on the rainbow colored box" inside of the preset color pattern section to bring up the color-picker GUI interface.
    The color-picker should have an interface that supports multi-color functionality.
    1. Click the top or bottom color pattern box to select the primary or secondary color assignment.
    From there, you can easily recolor any object in game. This feature also supports clothing and accessories. (*)
    wait this is available now??
    10qdhxj.png
  • Options
    pxelskiespxelskies Posts: 1,064 Member
    I really miss the colour wheel, so if it is possible indeed, and someone would make a mod of it, I would definitely download! Yes, they've given us quite a few colours to choose from, but getting your furniture to match isn't exactly easy. And I find myself loving some clothes, but then hating the colours.
  • Options
    JACK14 wrote: »
    Fatescruel wrote: »

EXAMPLE
    8VCbHyz.png

wait this is available now??

No, I wish something like this was available right now. As of right now, the above image is only an idea.
    QxkUasu.png
  • Options
    kikiwalukikiwalu Posts: 10 New Member
    I missed the color wheel also. But, if let me chose between the color wheel and the smooth game performance, I will definitely choose the performance.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I would like a smooth gameplay performance as well. I do not see how the color wheel should affect the gameplay performance that much though. The amount of lots allowed in a game is kept at minimal by loading different sections of neighborhoods.

To avoid this, perhaps the options to turn on/off in-depth customization could be implemented.

As far as I know, the only time that the color wheel will actually be called is when a command is invoked to change the color in Build/Buy Mode, not in Live Mode. Once you are in Live Mode the object color that has been assigned should not increase the number of polys by too much, still resulting in smooth gameplay performance.
    QxkUasu.png
  • Options
    Anzi130Anzi130 Posts: 140 Member
    I atleast hope they will make more wall/floor colors. You don't get a lot of colors to work with for each wall/floor.. doors and windows is the same. It limits your building and creating. Also the basic colors they have for walls are 'yellow, green, blue' etc.. if you want another color (like beige maybe?) its impossible to find. Perhaps One wall has that color, but maybe its a tile wall or something.. I hope you get what I mean ;)
    Origin Account-Name: Anzi120
  • Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited September 2014
    Once you are in Live Mode the object color that has been assigned should not increase the number of polys by too much, still resulting in smooth gameplay performance.

OK... I was chuckling out loud at this point ;)

Colors have no relationship whatsoever to polys. Polys relate to object shape. Colors relate to object textures.

And, you described how a color wheel INTERFACE would work, but... TS4 has pre-stored textures for its objects. Exactly like TS2. Everybody who's done a basic TS4 recolor knows this ;) The prospects for TS4 getting a color tool are the same as the prospects for TS2 getting one. When an object is rendered, the complete texture is applied and that's it.

How exactly do you propose to modify these pre-stored texture files at runtime with the player's color choices, and then show the result to the player?

TS3 worked by having a separate compositing process, where the CaST texture was overlaid on the object's base texture, applied to every frame AS IT WAS RENDERED. That was part of the render engine, and it slowed performance because it introduced extra steps to the process of displaying a frame on the screen. The problem wasn't that MORE data was being displayed (that is why too many polys slow things down)... it was that displaying ANY data took more time.

TS4 doesn't have a mechanism like that, and it CAN'T have one without replacing the render engine... which amounts to rebuilding the game from the ground up.

Not trying to be a negative nancy here :p Just trying to inject a little reality (or something close enough to it) into the discussion.
  • Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited September 2014
    Anzi130 wrote: »
    I atleast hope they will make more wall/floor colors. You don't get a lot of colors to work with for each wall/floor.. doors and windows is the same. It limits your building and creating. Also the basic colors they have for walls are 'yellow, green, blue' etc.. if you want another color (like beige maybe?) its impossible to find. Perhaps One wall has that color, but maybe its a tile wall or something.. I hope you get what I mean ;)

We will have tools for object recolor mods, and for walls, floors and everything else, and you can go crazy (out of the game) recoloring objects to your heart's content and sharing your recolors with others, just as we can do already for clothes :)
  • Options
    KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    I miss CaST, but not the problems it caused. I'll take the simplified color options that don't affect game performance in a huge way like CaST did. But... I do want Maxis to provide us with more color and texture options and to put a high priority on color options that match and coordinate well (I find that some of them really don't.) A better way to organize the color options would be welcome, too - I spend a lot of time picking through the available options just trying to find the one I want where both the wood texture and fabric color match existing pieces in my room grouping, for instance.

I like what @Srikandi715 said - an out-of-game mod or official program for creating our own recolored and retextured objects would be fantastic!
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• Options
    SimsdxSimsdx Posts: 210 Member
    It may take quite some time to figure out honestly...
  • Options
    Ezforu2cEzforu2c Posts: 115 Member
    If it could be done that would be Great :D One of my fav things was to give variety to my Sims attire w/o having to download more and more outside clothing. However, the CC creators are doing wonderfully giving a variety.
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    esse10 wrote: »
    Everyone is so in love with that hell-sent color wheel. It was a slow and buggy mess with every texture in the book loading each time with it. I guess I rarely used it, so I can't understand the infatuation. I, in fact, hated the color wheel. They give us more than enough presets.

Why even post this in here? Great, you didn't like it and you don't miss it... some people do and this thread is for them. And your horrid GoT character eye-rolling gif can eat a bag. That's rude.

Because this is a conversation and dissenting opinions are allowed.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    CMWarren wrote: »
    I can't believe they took the colour wheel out in the first place. Sims 3 was big on the whole we're giving you more creativity more style to do what you want and now they're like oh wait no, forget all that lets pretend that never happened.. back to the basics. >-<

Even without the pattern tool they could have given us the colours and also the ability to do that in CAS mode for hair styles.. and actually highlight their hair the way we could in Sims 3.

basically, the color wheel broke the game for too many people for EA to consider it successful. it was where the majority of lag and glitches came from.

Really o.O? I never had an issue with it no lag or glitches, if anything create a style lagged for me when trying to drop a pattern from one object to another.. TS3 is strange, I don't understand why many people experience things that others haven't.. my PC is just a standard gaming nothing that special and I've not experienced any of the famous issues so far.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    simmesesimmese Posts: 1,536 Member
    Really o.O? I never had an issue with it no lag or glitches, if anything create a style lagged for me when trying to drop a pattern from one object to another.. TS3 is strange, I don't understand why many people experience things that others haven't.. my PC is just a standard gaming nothing that special and I've not experienced any of the famous issues so far.

Same here , infact my TS3 is running better than TS4 does at the moment ... which is annoying

TS4 buggy , glitchy mess which crashes every 5 minutes or so ... TS3 smooth non laggy and has CASt and an open world

As for the colour wheel yes I miss it a lot , especially as all the colours in TS4 seem washed out and in the pastel range and I love vibrant in-your-face colours

• Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    simmese wrote: »

Same here , infact my TS3 is running better than TS4 does at the moment ... which is annoying

TS4 buggy , glitchy mess which crashes every 5 minutes or so ... TS3 smooth non laggy and has CASt and an open world

As for the colour wheel yes I miss it a lot , especially as all the colours in TS4 seem washed out and in the pastel range and I love vibrant in-your-face colours

Me too! on the highest settings TS3 works like a dream surprisingly yet the highest settings for TS4 lags? weird.

Mine doesn't crash, not yet only because of CC. I agree, we do need more colour options and I loved the colour wheel because rather than having a ton of swatches we had it all in one less cluttering and you could have all the shades. I love vibrant colours too and at the moment apart from the red the rest are a tad dull and my homes don't feel right. I really hope they change their minds about it or at least make a patch that isn't required but would give you this tool.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    FairyLights1FairyLights1 Posts: 759 Member
    I miss the color wheel in CAS, frequently, I find myself wanting more makeup colors and having to work around what I have.

• Options
    yelsha23yelsha23 Posts: 93 Member
    I would love it especially create a style because a lot of the presets are ugly.
    tumblr_n7y83bVjHh1smb1ddo1_400.gif
  • Options
    > @harryjames009 said:
    > Color wheel was a pain to match the colors, you had to type in three sets of number to match up the colors on anything for each piece of the clothing or furniture.

There was a way to turn that off
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    After reading some of the posts in this thread, I wonder if one of the biggest 'issues' with CASt was that some folks simply didn't understand how to use it.

As for lag, yes, when I was actively using CASt it was sometimes rather laggy due, I assume, mostly to the volume of textures it was loading. But the point that many people seem to be missing is that that lag only occurred when CASt was open/active/in use. It didn't do anything to add to the lag or slowdown of gameplay during Live mode. It was just sluggish sometimes when you were trying to use CASt itself to drag/drop colors and/or textures.

There were other things in TS3 that could cause it to run slow/sluggishly in Live mode at times. But CASt is taking a lot of heat for things it was not the cause of, I believe.

For me, CASt is one of the major omissions in TS4 that makes me disinclined to buy more TS4 products. I use it heavily in TS3 and sure hope they put it back into TS5 when/if that game ever comes to be. (I'd love to see it return to TS4, but given what the Gurus have said, I'm not expecting it.)
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    GrumpyCatGrumpyCat Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2015
    I would pay for the CASt mod (or EP or any other addition) twice as much as I've paid for the main game. I am serious.
  • Options
    JuicySharpieJuicySharpie Posts: 52 Member
    Although it was a pain, I still miss it
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    @ Srikandi715 is correct. In order to add a color-wheel (or CASt) to TS4 they would have to completely re-write the way that textures are applied to objects - then they would have to remake every single texture of every single object, outfit, wall, floor, skin, hair-style, eye and cosmetic in the game (did I miss anything?). The SimGurus have already said that it would be 'too much work', so you can forget about getting a color wheel for TS4. And no Modder would dare delve that deeply into the guts of the game - they might as well just program a whole new game from the beginning because of the effort it would take (and the number of bugs it would throw off).

I went into great detail about this subject on this thread, if you want more information:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/755199/cast-and-ts4#latest

Now someone could create a program that worked *outside* of TS4 that allowed players to alter the colors of things in TS4, but it would be a tool similar to the ones released for TS2. Recoloring things would also require a working knowledge of a paint program (such a Gimp) and the recolored objects would be imported back into the game as Custom Content - exactly like they were in TS2. I made recolors for TS2 and it required the ability to handle multiple layers and the ability to 'paint' with the mouse - it wasn't easy and I didn't find it to be much fun, either.

This is why I prefer TS3. I have never had a problem with CASt, other than having to wait a few seconds for all the textures to load (only a problem with fabrics and themed categories, on my system) which isn't lag, it is load time (caused by lazy coding on EAxis' part). Making everything have an extra texture layer does slow the game down a tiny, little bit - but on today's machines it was merely the addition of a few microseconds. I doubt if anyone would be able to notice the difference between single-texture object and multi-texture object while actually playing the game.

As for why EAxis decided to go back to the single-layer texture system - it was probably because having all those custom textures would have slowed down an MMO.

Sorry to be a downer, but we will not see anything like CASt (or a color-wheel) until TS5 is released - if then.
  • Options
    SapphireKaiSapphireKai Posts: 33 Member
    > @CMWarren said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > basically, the color wheel broke the game for too many people for EA to consider it successful. it was where the majority of lag and glitches came from.

Yeah, my game crashed all of the time but it was never because of the color wheel, it was because I was dumb and downloaded some bugged/80% complete thing, coloring those incomplete objects or clothes just made it worse - the game couldn't figure out how to apply my pattern to a thing that only half existed.

All they need to do is clean the code for the color wheel and put it back in (like how they smoothed out the voices between S2 & S3.
    changing voices in S2 would crash my game everytime) and make it optional for all of those who are for some unknown reason against it.
    Even though the color wheel was 100% optional in S3 too, not sure why anyone's complaining about not liking it.

The Celestial Sapphire Lotus.