Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to the "Eco Living" theme that the Laundry Day Stuff Pack was supposed to be about?

124...Next

Comments

• SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    After reading this entire thread I did some research to refresh my memory. While the first community vote included an Eco Living option that mentioned laundry as one possible feature, it was not until several votes later that the laundry option was actually selected by the community.

The options in the feature vote were, according to this thread by SimGuruGraham, ranked in the following order by the community:

1. Laundry
    2. Off the Grid
    3. Food Preserves
    4. Carbon Conscious

This post on Sims Community has the full text of the descriptions for each of the above.

As for me, I don't remember if I chose Eco Living or another option as my first choice for the initial community vote, but I definitely chose food preserves as my first choice in the feature vote. I'm not thrilled that laundry ended up getting chosen as the focus, but that doesn't mean I think the vote was rigged.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2018
    While I'm happy that we are getting laundry to wash our dirty underwear I actually asked that the other day. Remember the time when this was eco-friendly stuff pack? Lol. Seriously did EA forget what they were doing....originally?

Nope. Just for reference, here's how the original options went:

LHuI9sP.jpg

Domestic responsibilities and laundry were included as options, right from the start. As was 'potential' areas, not guaranteed.

Thank you GoodOle Gamer for posting that, looking at that regardless if one just wanted mostly Eco Living laundry was included and those that voted for Eco Living was going to get Laundry as well. Eco Living and Laundry was never meant to be separate according to EA/Maxis. and just as I thought it was how EA/Maxis conducted the survey.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited January 2018
    We aren't getting an eco friendly stuff pack. We are getting laundry day. If you ask someone who doesn't play the sims 4 what eco living means to them I can guarantee washing machines and tumble driers will not be the answer. They are not eco friendly in the slightest. Giving us a bucket and washboard does not make this pack eco friendly. An example of a game incorporating eco friendly game play is the latest expansion for Cities Skylines Green Cities. That's how you do an eco friendly pack.

I feel sorry for the people who voted eco living because they wanted solar panels, recycling and other green initiatives. There was no chance of getting it once it was paired with laundry. Laundry had to be shoe horned in the process somehow. It's no secret the devs have been wanting to make a laundry pack. Sim Guru Graham said on twitter to make some noise if we wanted laundry and that was way before the community vote began. Chances are we would have got laundry at one point. Instead it was thrown in with a theme that didn't really match it and pitched against 3/4 other ideas, some of which were new (and plenty of people don't want new things, they want a rehash of things we have) and the vote was split. For me this pack was never about eco living. It was laundry from the beginning.

Disagree, because what do you think people did before machines rose up but having a just a tub and bucket and no other eco friendly items would not make this a ECO Friendly pack as a whole. However, the point is moot seeing how EA/Maxis set up the survey. When I was coming up my family did not use washing machines and we did use an washboard and washtub. and by definition an washboard and wash tub is part of Eco living. What you are offering as well as I am is no more that an opinion and not fact.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    a_niles06 wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »
    Washing clothes in a tub is just glorifying poverty. It seems a bit cruel.

Can we please not with this? I am in no way rich but I'm not at poverty level either and I still have plenty of things I hand wash because they're too delicate to put into machines or have special beading/designs on them that my machines would ruin. My mom hand washes some of her blankets just because she loves how fresh they smell after hanging outside to dry on a beautiful spring day. Some people hand wash things to scrub out a stain. Some people just like doing it by hand because they feel they can clean it better than a machine. Some people just like the busy work of it. Let's not generalize. Washing clothes by hand doesn't "glorify poverty" - it doesn't say anything about poverty. Period.

Having said that, I do agree that this pack is not where I initially thought the voting was heading. I'm all for the laundry aspect so I'm excited for it, but I didn't expect it to be the focus of the pack which is why I didn't vote for the eco living pack. It wasn't that I didn't want the cool off the grid options, solar panels, whatever else. They just weren't "must have" features for me. If they had just marketed it as its own option to vote for, I might have voted for it because I want the laundry feature back. But when I saw "eco living" and saw the other potential areas of interest, I didn't think that they were going to break it down and basically abandon all of the other eco friendly features they listed.

I do recall, however, that there was a vote on featured gameplay content and laundry was an option along with off the grid living, canning/preserves and one other one I can't recall. So while I do understand why some people are disappointed that this didn't turn out how they'd hoped, there was a vote for it - clearly more people voted for laundry than for those other options. I think the bigger mistake here wasn't the voting itself, it was including the laundry option in the vote at all. I understand that the hand washing and line drying are eco friendly, but the rest of it really isn't - the other 3 options were all truly eco friendly in every aspect of the featured content, not just one small piece like this one seems to be. They were more what I anticipated the pack would become, hence why I didn't vote for that pack. I loved the whole voting process and thought it was cool to be involved and get to have a say in styles I wanted to see in game, so I'd love to see that come back sometime. But I agree - I think putting a feature that was apparently so heavily requested and didn't really fit the theme into this pack ended up being a bad move. Of course people are going to vote for the feature they KNOW they love and they KNOW they want back. I don't think the other options really stood a chance.

When I voted for Eco Living and thought we was getting everything that was in that selection but I am not angry and feel EA/Maxis is the blame for how the survey was set up. I do not feel any shame for how I voted and just await the next pack.
    Can we just be thankful that we got laundry stuff? I mean we got a lot of new items and they may come out with something like eco living for those who wanted it. I feel like we give shame to the people that created the game that we all love so much!

In an way I feel that some people are shaming others because they did not get what they wanted. I feel no shame and will be content with this pack for it is all about me.
  • EllllaElllla Posts: 1 New Member
    I feel like all of the stuff packs don't have much in them and shouldn't be a pack and more just a patch. Laundry is a chore..... idk i feel like that should already be in the game. I don't think that I'd pay extra for laundry, I do like the new CAS items and build/buy stuff. I think eco living would be a better option stuff pack wise, because it's more an extra thing rather than just something that should have already been a thing, but I do hope that the eco one becomes a game pack because it does have a lotta cool features that could be added
  • kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    The majority of the community that participated in the vote wanted a laundry pack and so we got a laundry pack. End of story. There is no conspiracy here. Sorry if you didn't get what you wanted but you can't blame the guru's for that.
  • ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    Voting process:
    Eco-friendly theme with the mention of laundry ---> eco friendly options vs laundry ---> laundry.

how did an Eco-friendly pack with lots of potential with off the grid and food preserves get narrowed down to the most dull option with the least potential gameplay and eco-friendly object options?
    Because laundry was something everyone wanted. Graham even said to make some noise if people wanted laundry, so it was clear that nothing else was going to win. Might as well have not mentioned eco-friendly at all and just called it Home Chores theme.

Lots of great, new ideas for Sims gone to waste. I hope we actually get an eco-friendly pack in the future... :/

I know there is no use in complaining about it now that the pack is done and out. I obviously didn't vote for laundry, but despite the many great suggestions I've read or made on the forums to make eco-friendly options still work for this laundry pack, they still didn't really listen. I have to keep exploring with the pack but so far there's no solar panels, no recycling bins (as it showed in the concept art), no compost, no pedal washing machine, etc. The only "new home technologies" is the washing machine. So there's no actual eco-friendly objects other than the wash tub and clothes line, oh and mentioning that the washing machine is "eco-friendly"...sigh.
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    ayyitsmell wrote: »
    Voting process:
    Eco-friendly theme with the mention of laundry ---> eco friendly options vs laundry ---> laundry.

how did an Eco-friendly pack with lots of potential with off the grid and food preserves get narrowed down to the most dull option with the least potential gameplay and eco-friendly object options?
    Because laundry was something everyone wanted. Graham even said to make some noise if people wanted laundry, so it was clear that nothing else was going to win. Might as well have not mentioned eco-friendly at all and just called it Home Chores theme.

Lots of great, new ideas for Sims gone to waste. I hope we actually get an eco-friendly pack in the future... :/

I know there is no use in complaining about it now that the pack is done and out. I obviously didn't vote for laundry, but despite the many great suggestions I've read or made on the forums to make eco-friendly options still work for this laundry pack, they still didn't really listen. I have to keep exploring with the pack but so far there's no solar panels, no recycling bins (as it showed in the concept art), no compost, no pedal washing machine, etc. The only "new home technologies" is the washing machine. So there's no actual eco-friendly objects other than the wash tub and clothes line, oh and mentioning that the washing machine is "eco-friendly"...sigh.

What's crazy is asking the "Simming Community" the most vocal gaming community out there to make some noise is like asking a pyro to light a fire cracker in the middle of the library you know they are going to do it. When Simmers make noise they scream! Everyone hears it and if you don't Simmers spend time to make sure you do. That's what makes the "Simming Community" a "Simming Community"! They want everyone to hear what they have to say! Even if it means screaming at the computer screen thinking someone from 100 miles away can hear it just by doing something that ridiculous! So it so happens that this time Simmers around the globe were screaming for their clothes to be washed and there underwear to be spanked......with laundry detergent! :wink:
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    kokoro80 wrote: »
    The majority of the community that participated in the vote wanted a laundry pack and so we got a laundry pack. End of story. There is no conspiracy here. Sorry if you didn't get what you wanted but you can't blame the guru's for that.

#TheMoreYouKnow
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited January 2018
    I decided to do a little research, which you can read with me here: https://www.treehugger.com/htgg/how-to-go-green-laundry.html

But here's from the first three paragraphs:
    Though it may seem like a pedestrian chore, doing the laundry has a bigger impact on the planet than you might think. Between 75 and 80 percent of our clothing's lifecycle impact comes from washing and drying, according to reports by Proctor (pdf) and Marks & Spencer, because it takes so much energy to heat the wash water and run the dry cycle. So there's huge potential to reduce your personal energy and water use, and therefore your environmental footprint, by simply greening your laundry habits.

Benefits to the environment notwithstanding, you can also save some greenbacks by following an earth-friendly laundry regimen. The average household does almost 400 loads of laundry each year, consuming about 13,500 gallons of water according to Energy Star. Switching to an Energy Star-qualified front-loading (or "horizontal axis") machine can save as much as 7,000 gallons of water per year. Over the approximately 11-year life of a washer, that's enough water to fill up three backyard swimming pools or provide a lifetime of drinking water for six people! An Energy Star-qualified clothes washer can also save you $550 in operating costs over its lifetime, compared to a one that doesn't bear the label. Many new efficient washers can easily pay for themselves over the course of their useful lives. (Hint: If you purchased your washer before 1994, it's time to consider replacing it.)

By cutting the dryer out of the equation--even if it's only part of the time--you'll save even more money. Your dryer checks in at number two on the list of household energy hogs (right after your fridge), costing the average household more than $96 per year in energy, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. So going with clothesline or drying rack can help you save on your utility bills--or eliminate the need for buying and maintaining an extra appliance altogether (more on this in the Top Tips section that follows).

So what I got from this is...if you continue to do laundry normally like everyone else usually does, then laundry =/= eco-friendly. However, doing laundry can be eco-friendly, by reading the tips in that website. So that means while laundry can definitely fit into an eco-living theme if you stretch it enough, doing laundry as is is not initially eco-friendly.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • lololol93lololol93 Posts: 2 New Member
    "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE "ECO LIVING" THEME THAT THE LAUNDRY DAY STUFF PACK WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT?"

It became an Expansion Pack.

https://simscommunity.info/2020/05/05/official-the-sims-4-eco-lifestyle-is-the-next-expansion-pack/
  • chons95chons95 Posts: 51 Member
    It's coming out now apparently
  • StevieJohn88StevieJohn88 Posts: 181 Member
    lololol93 wrote: »
    "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE "ECO LIVING" THEME THAT THE LAUNDRY DAY STUFF PACK WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT?"

It became an Expansion Pack.

https://simscommunity.info/2020/05/05/official-the-sims-4-eco-lifestyle-is-the-next-expansion-pack/

😂
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,915 Member
    I usually do not answer to necro topics but this is just-too-daaaarn-hilarious :D:D
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top