Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University too hard/no fun ?

Comments

• StevieSaysStevieSays Posts: 207 Member
    Additionally, I think that the amount of dedication it takes to pass a term makes rotational play almost impossible. I spend the entire term in one household, then lose scholarships if I don't immediately reapply? So then you end up staying in one household for an entire college career, making my other households inaccessible.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    First people were complaining about the game being too easy, now they're complaining about the game being too hard.

What do the devs have to do to make y'all happy?
    funny-gifs20.gif

• MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    First people were complaining about the game being too easy, now they're complaining about the game being too hard.

What do the devs have to do to make y'all happy?
    Who knows. I happen to like this expansion pack fine and wish that some of the bugs present in the game could be resolved.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    University is exactly what this pack presents. I like that it's a good challenge. Once you put through more Sims you get a better hang of it. University is not for everyone.
  • BiffaBaker2020BiffaBaker2020 Posts: 1 New Member
    I've also worked out that if you raise a Sim from child to adult and you max out skills, it will fail them as they can't study as they are maxed out. Not great.
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    I think a teen sim should be able to apply to the university they want so when they age up they can start immediately.

They can. Teens can start applying for university the week before they age into young adults.

Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Here we see a typical clash between Sim players. :)

And for once the shoe is on the other foot (not being smug!). Remember the community at large has demanded more challenging game play for quite some time; I am one of them, Sims 4 is so easy it is really no difference between playing with unlimited money or regular gameplay, you simply cannot fail at anything except if you do it on purpose.

And now the other 40% or so of players are complaining because the game is too hard. (again NOT being smug!).

1. I have found that 5 semesters, split either 3, 3, 2, 2 2 or 3, 2, 3, 2, 2 works best for me. It is still fairly realistic too, many people going to university study for 5 years.
    2. I always pause aging while at Uni; if I couldn't do that i would not have bought the pack at all, YA is my favorite age for Sims (yes I am "One of those" players) and quickly lose interest in kids or elders.
    3. ...Anyway, taking two classes makes it possible to juggle two organizations. I would go one that favors your Sim's general goal (Robot guys, Art society, Brainiacs) and then the Spirit Squad OR the Secret Society (tho I find it underwhelming, while the Spirit Squad is fun. Stink-spraying mascots is fun ;) ).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    I tried it once. She took a full load, attended all the classes, did homework every day, completed the term papers and presentations and made sure they all were top notch, and still almost completely failed out. The most frustrating part was all the classes were related to skills she had already maxed out.

Then I stumbled upon something that might explain what happened. I haven't tested this myself yet, I probably will later today, but this does make sense to me as to what's causing people to fail out with no idea why.

As well as owning Discover University, I also own Seasons, which I believe most people that own Discover University also own, being Seasons is one of the most popular expansions. The problem is Seasons introduces holidays, and the game seems a bit confused on how to treat university classes in regards to holidays, because it treats them like a hybrid. To explain what I mean, I first need to address professions and how they work with holidays.

There are two types of professions; those that are rabbit holed and those that are active. Rabbit holed, for those unaware, are jobs like Astronaut where your sim will automatically attend when their time comes (unless you prevent them somehow), and they change into their work clothes (if any), walk to the edge of your property, and then disappear until the time is completed, where they then reappear on your property's edge ready for control. School for children/teens is considered like this, which also adds to the confusion as I will explain later.

Then there are active professions, like the Detective, where your sim actually attends work where you control the sim to perform certain actions in an allotted time frame to determine how successful that day was.

There technically is a third type of profession where you own your own business (veterinarian, retail, etc.), but that route gives you complete freedom to determine when you work, so it's not affected by this.

So, let's say a holiday is active where you normally would have the day off (Winterfest for example), rabbit holed professions get the day off no problem, but active professions do not. If you normally would have needed to work that day, for example the holiday falls on a Wednesday, then you still need to go to work. Because most holidays that offer a day off fall on weekend days, and most active professions mostly have these days off anyway, it doesn't become an issue for the most part, but you still missed a day if you normally would have gone to work. But, and here's were it starts to get weird, the game won't inform you that you need to go to work, and it won't automatically take you. On days that are a holiday that offers a day off work, sims with active professions normally scheduled to attend work that day are still expected to attend work, but you must manually select "go to work" from your career button at the time you are expected to go or you will get a penalty for missing work/being late. Most simply put; the active professions introduced with Get to Work don't mesh well with the holidays in Seasons.

With that said, attending university classes is considered an active profession to Seasons' holidays, even though it's rabbit holed. This is why I mentioned earlier that it's a hybrid. So, if you own both Discover University and Seasons, when your attending classes be very mindful that on holidays the game will not inform you that you need to go to class, that your missing class, or really anything regarding a profession that day. You will need to manually press the "go to class" button at the right time in order to attend class in time on that particular day, or the game will consider you skipping class, and it won't warn you that you're doing anything wrong.

This, I believe, is where most people are failing university and not having any clue as to why.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Certainly it seems that discover uni contradicts with holiday especially a holiday during exam ! Honestly I am so disappointed!
    I haven’t explored robotics skill and engineering career , I hope these are good enough to salvage this awful pack.
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    isn't too hard did all four-course ones need wasn't too hard as long they study the right time moment come home ( i don't use dorms) make them buckle down have enough time something fun. have them get to class on time if enough time before next have them study a bit won't be hard.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Certainly it seems that discover uni contradicts with holiday especially a holiday during exam ! Honestly I am so disappointed!
    I haven’t explored robotics skill and engineering career , I hope these are good enough to salvage this awful pack.

I still like DI, and consider it one of the better packs, but if you also have Seasons you just need to be mindful.
    To be fair the CAS items are pretty good :) and studying from home is more playable than moving into the university as they have to blinking walk very so slowly to the lectures and always late causing big drop in grades. Studying from home you magically disappear into the lecture, on-time every single lecture :) kind of stupid studying from far away is more convenient than living on campus ;)
  • kayen_keagenkayen_keagen Posts: 53 Member
    Yeah I’ve tried living in the dorm first term and did 4 classes.. failed.. all of them. Not a very smart move for first time. Especially since we have to move them out of their house into dorm and then you have to buy back your house (pretty ridiculous) but now I’m staying at home with 2 classes per term.. might take long I guess but it will help get a degree more smoother now. I like this pack. I love realism to the game.
  • darkroomxdaisydarkroomxdaisy Posts: 52 Member
    I find a lot of frustration in the game play of UNI.. Which in return has made only about 3 of my sims actually complete college. Unfortunately, even with taking the max of 4 credits per term and entering college the day you age up to a Young Adult, you are in college the entire length of being a YA. And as you stated, they attend classes and are doing homework/term papers/etc the entire time they're home and even then they might not get things done (and in return not pass the class) depending on your sims personality and needs. I personally liked the style they had in TS2 much better where you had the option to attend after you completed your teenage years and then you aged as a Fresh/Soph/Jr/Senior. I think the courses and work wasn't as time consuming and you had a lot more time to enjoy the "college lifestyle".. Also - it didn't take away from your actual Adult years to attend university, it was simply a lifeline of it's own.. Maybe they can offer an update for UNI where as a teenager you can gain college credit while attending highschool if you're an A student?? And in return maybe you then would only need 4-8 credits in UNI to complete your degree instead of 12??
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I like it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    Maybe they want to bring back the sims 2 university spirit where the whole young adult stage is just for university. If you don’t go to uni they just turn right into adult :)
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    to be honest i am already looking forward to the next pack university is starting to get boring now at least to me as a player of the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    I hope the next pack is as good as get famous :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    The bike... all my club members show up in bikes!! Especially when I live in an apartment all the bikes are inside the building . It is a nightmare lol
    Omg, what is it with clubs and bikes? I haven't formed clubs in ages but started doing them again in my new rotational game. And there's all these club members suddenly arriving en masse on bikes! WTH?

But, as for uni, I rather like it, which is unusual for me. I haven't liked any of the previous uni editions. I think I like the challenge of it.

I recently put 7 sims through Britechester together and 5 of them got an A+ grade and the other 2 got an A. I was so proud of them all lol.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited April 2020
    Most of my uni students come from established households with quality furniture and family members that can help with the cooking and the chores. I've never ran into problems with them, even at a full courseload the worst they brought home was a B in classes requirering skills those sims hadn't started on at all before uni. I imagine it is harder in dorms, especially with routing issues.

But if the game got re-balanced to be easier for students fresh out of CAS, those sims from longer played households would it have even easier than they have it now. Finding a better middle ground than we have at the moment might be tricky.
  • hybridace101hybridace101 Posts: 13 New Member
    It seems like the one drawback in DU is when you have Sims going to uni and you're playing a multi-household universe, you feel 'forced' to stay within the same household for at least three 'sim weeks' to ensure your student-sim does not suffer poor grades to delay graduation. Your game clock, ageing, and sub-plots in other households may be out of sync.

Is there any way to play other households whilst your household with a student-sim is in uni for a prolonged period without the latter suffering poor grades?
  • thesimmers340thesimmers340 Posts: 21 Member
    Personally I like this expansion, I don't have any problems with it.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've just bought this expansion and have one sim starting uni (she's yet at the middle of the first term). She's doing 4 credits. I find it hard but i like it. I don't want to have all my sims going to uni, but when one decides to go, i like that it's a challenge.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I purchased DU on release date but it's taken till today for my first sim to graduate (I play rotationally). I had the sim do two classes a term and enrolled them on Saturdays just so the term started on Mondays. The sim also attended from home. The advantage was that they were always on time for class and gained a 1st class degree. The disadvantage however was that they never experienced anything that this pack has to offer, ie. university life. My sim only ever saw a textbook!

I know to enrol only sims I've raised from birth as, by the time they are ready for uni they can afford the seldom sleepy and carefree traits which help massively. Also, if you play rotationally, don't bother joining organisations as you are ejected from them if you don't immediately re-enroll.

I'm going to be very strict in future on who gets to go to university but I think next time, I'll have them move onto the campus, switch ageing off, and stay with them for the duration.

• vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    It needs to keep its difficulty for sure life’s not easy. I get it a video game is an escape for some but played for entertainment. Easy, predictable progression isn’t entertaining. I do agree it might need some balance and a check on those grade point averages. Unless I’m playing it wrong.