Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

inventory items at death

I am seeing different answers here about what happens to your Sims inventory items on death. I have a scientist who is an elder. He has many metals and crystals in his inventory. What will happen to them when he dies? Do they disappear or go to family inventory?

Thanks you

Comments

• PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    I have it disappear in my game. I try and empty it of the stuff I want to keep. It would suck to have them die before old age with a bag of goodies.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    edited August 2015
    Apparently they all go into the household inventory. I haven't actually tested it though, to see if some things go missing.

The last time an elder in my game died, I had forgotten to clean his personal inventory out beforehand (which I usually do, by habit). I know that the stuff did get transferred to the household inventory, but I hadn't taken a note of it, so I have no idea if some went missing.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    my problem is that he's still a scientist and I will not have him retire. I'm gonna work him till the end. So the metals and crystals need to stay in his inventory because he needs them....otherwise I would just empty everything out and leave them to his nice and nephew. what to do? I don't want him to suddenly die and i lose everything. blah
  • AHR404AHR404 Posts: 564 Member
    Their death throes usually go on for a while- Grimmy doesn't seem to be in any hurry. So I usually have time to pause the game, empty their inventory, and spend their remaining reward points on potions for the rest of the family. This assumes you're currently playing that family, and they die on the home lot or with family members close by to transfer the inventory. I've never had an active Sim die off-screen.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    AHR404 wrote: »
    Their death throes usually go on for a while- Grimmy doesn't seem to be in any hurry. So I usually have time to pause the game, empty their inventory, and spend their remaining reward points on potions for the rest of the family. This assumes you're currently playing that family, and they die on the home lot or with family members close by to transfer the inventory. I've never had an active Sim die off-screen.

This is VERY good to know!! thanks!

Can a sim die at work in an active career?
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    It all goes into the household inventory.
  • LafrouLafrou Posts: 204 Member
    They go into your household inventory, which you can access through the build mode. Every time I've had a sim die, their personal inventory always transfers to the household inventory. So as long as he has a family, then the possessions in his inventory will still be accessible.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I wish their contents could like be contained in their Urn. and to retrieve it your sim could open it, and get it.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • aclavoaclavo Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I wish their contents could like be contained in their Urn. and to retrieve it your sim could open it, and get it.

Ew, that sounds creepy and it's called grave robbing.
  • ShadowSixxShadowSixx Posts: 154 Member
    This may seem like a mean question but when a sim dies of old age, is there an insurance payment?
    giphy.gif
  • ladyfireheartladyfireheart Posts: 52 Member
    ShadowSixx wrote: »
    This may seem like a mean question but when a sim dies of old age, is there an insurance payment?

That's not a mean question, and nope. No insurance money.
    Origin ID: GeekGoddessYT

If you're unhappy with the direction Sims is going in, sign this petition!
  • ShadowSixxShadowSixx Posts: 154 Member
    Just don't want y'all thinking I would have sims killed for the money lol.
    giphy.gif
  • ladyfireheartladyfireheart Posts: 52 Member
    ShadowSixx wrote: »
    Just don't want y'all thinking I would have sims killed for the money lol.

No judgement here! ;)
    Origin ID: GeekGoddessYT

If you're unhappy with the direction Sims is going in, sign this petition!
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I'm sure if they die without you playing as their household, you lose their personal inventory. If you play as them and they die, their inventory is moved into household inventory.

I lost like a billion pictures because my photographer died without me playing as him, but I had like a billion upgrade parts from my patriarch who scavenged everything since I was playing as his family.
    Same thing occurred with my gardening chef; he maintained and harvested his garden often, so he had this practically limitless supply of basil and whatever in his inventory. It was all lost after I found out I left aging on and he died during rotation to a different family. His eldest daughter's inventory which contained a ton of books of life ended up in the household inventory when she died as I was playing with that same family.

So I'm quite sure that things don't end up in the household inventory if you aren't playing as them, including their urns/tombstone.

You can always save before they might die (around times where their bar is all sparkly) to see what happens to the inventory, since I'm not sure if they changed this at all.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    aclavo wrote: »
    MasonGamer wrote: »

Ew, that sounds creepy and it's called grave robbing.

muahaha!
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    The only thing that doesn't get transferred to the family inventory in my experience is reward potions. Everything else has done in my game, but there could be items I have never had in inventory when dying.
  • haloujahalouja Posts: 175 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Can a sim die at work in an active career?

@aaronrulz

My sim was in the medical career and I had chosen to follow him to work at the hospital. Half way through the shift, he keeled over from old age, the Grim Reaper came and all the hospital staff and patients crowded round and were very upset (although not as upset as I was, since he was in a hospital and surrounded by doctors and nurses but not one of them made any attempt to try to save him ;) ). Then suddenly the Grim Reaper vanished, my sim was suddenly fine again and went back to treating his patients as though nothing had happened! So, I thought, he's had a lucky escape this time. However, as soon as he got back home after his shift, he keeled over once again, and this time the Grim Reaper was having no messing and actually took him, despite the pleading of his son.

So, my guess is, the game might try to kill your sim while at work in an active career but it won't work - although it doesn't mean your sim will escape death altogether! :)
    This signature has encountered a problem and will now close; do you want to send an error message?

25Aug2014
  • QueenStuffsQueenStuffs Posts: 41 Member
    To add on to this question, When sims die do they loose their reward points or do they go to another member in the household?
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    To add on to this question, When sims die do they loose their reward points or do they go to another member in the household?

They lose any unspent points so it is best to pause the game as they are dying and spend them on potions or something other household members can at least use.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    They are supposed to go in the family inventory, but it's an hit and miss game. Not everything get saved, and I found some items still in the ghosts inventory.
  • NeptitudeNeptitude Posts: 22 New Member
    > @Lafrou said:
    > They go into your household inventory, which you can access through the build mode. Every time I've had a sim die, their personal inventory always transfers to the household inventory. So as long as he has a family, then the possessions in his inventory will still be accessible.

What if they are living alone and I am playing an active sim off on another household?
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Neptitude wrote: »
    > @Lafrou said:
    > They go into your household inventory, which you can access through the build mode. Every time I've had a sim die, their personal inventory always transfers to the household inventory. So as long as he has a family, then the possessions in his inventory will still be accessible.

What if they are living alone and I am playing an active sim off on another household?

In that case, the household inventory does disappear for good.