Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wanting to make an aquarium wing in a museum I built

This is tricky so bare with me. I built a really nice museum and I have been using it to showcase all the things I've collected while playing. I was able to put everything in there...frogs, bugs, Easter eggs, fossils, prints from the microscope and telescope, postcards, etc etc etc. All things my main household has collected. However, fish are being a pain. I bought an aquarium and the only option was to buy fish. I could not put fish that were caught in it. I have put fish in bowls when at the campgrounds in the past so what's the deal with aquariums? I thought it would be a really cool idea to have a room with all the fish swimming around for visitors (and my Sims) to look at, but alas it's not to be. All the fish they caught and mounted are on the wall, but there doesn't seem a way to get live fish in the building.

I tried a variety of ways including the the bb.showhiddenliveobjects All that did was leave a bunch of dead fish on the floor I couldn't pick up or do anything with, but that same cheat I tossed post cards all over and was able to collect them. I tried having a rando Sim move in after making the building a resident area instead of a museum and that didn't work. I put all the aquariums in a room on my lot and then uploaded to my library then downloaded it on the museum lot. That worked great, but the fish vanished from the tanks. UGH.

I have seen posts on here about the same topic, but they were from years back and I'm sure cheats and mods have changed since then. I'm also not exactly willing to have a rando Sim live in the building going through all the time and effort catching all 52 fish in the game. That seems like the only way I can figure out, but it's not logical. Does anyone out there know if there's anything I'm not doing or missing? Is there a mod out there for such a thing? Granted, I can have all the fish in my home lot where they currently are, but to make a nice section in my museum like I did with my other items would be super cool.

Thanks for the help!!

Comments

• Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    edited April 2020
    I've never been able to put fish in an aquarium from my sims inventory on a community lot, so I can't help you there.

But if you just want to display the collection you could hang up mounted fish. Edit - oops, I reread and saw you mentioned this. Sorry, that's the only idea I had. Hopefully someone else has a more useful tip.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

Unless you want to sell them, I think all live fishes look more or less the same to me, especially if you put them in the little fishbowl. With the aquariums it's only possible to stock them and from what I've seen only with fish humans would eat. Maybe you could try to build an aquarium wall and put the fishes in fishbowls? Lots of fishbowls. I think they would look lovely if displayed on a table/pedestal and the corresponding mounted fishy would be displayed above it, would be like a description of what's in the fishbowl.

YTGluHt.png
  • Options
    TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Unless you want to sell them, I think all live fishes look more or less the same to me, especially if you put them in the little fishbowl. With the aquariums it's only possible to stock them and from what I've seen only with fish humans would eat. Maybe you could try to build an aquarium wall and put the fishes in fishbowls? Lots of fishbowls. I think they would look lovely if displayed on a table/pedestal and the corresponding mounted fishy would be displayed above it, would be like a description of what's in the fishbowl.

YTGluHt.png

That might actually be a cool and fun idea. I'll have to try a few things out. Thanks!
  • Options
    BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    Have you tried changing to lot type to retail, then having your active family purchase it. Once purchased would you be able to place your fish in the aquariums? Once done, you could see if the fish stay in the aquariums after selling the retail lot and converting back to a museum.

P.S. This is such a cool idea! I never have much use for museums, but this makes it feel like something special like a real museum, not just a bunch of items you could easily purchase yourself through BB in your sim's home.
  • Options
    vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    edited April 2020
    I had that problem what worked for me is to send your sim to the lot switch it to generic put the fish in and than back to Art Center or Museum. Not sure if it bugged on my end that’s why it worked or it just works lol. Let me know if that helps. If you save it to the library for other saves they will disappear 😔 but your collectibles, plants, and art should stay. Check mine out the front lacks luster but I am happy with my rainforest that has a small rock fountain and my aquarium exhibit

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/CAB10DC8882B11EA8677335C231BF121?category=all&searchtype=hashtag&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=#sandbox&max=50&maxis=false
  • Options
    BK747 wrote: »
    Have you tried changing to lot type to retail, then having your active family purchase it. Once purchased would you be able to place your fish in the aquariums? Once done, you could see if the fish stay in the aquariums after selling the retail lot and converting back to a museum.

P.S. This is such a cool idea! I never have much use for museums, but this makes it feel like something special like a real museum, not just a bunch of items you could easily purchase yourself through BB in your sim's home.

I think I'm going to try that next.
  • Options
    I had that problem what worked for me is to send your sim to the lot switch it to generic put the fish in and than back to Art Center or Museum. Not sure if it bugged on my end that’s why it worked or it just works lol. Let me know if that helps. If you save it to the library for other saves they will disappear 😔 but your collectibles, plants, and art should stay. Check mine out the front lacks luster but I am happy with my rainforest that has a small rock fountain and my aquarium exhibit

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/CAB10DC8882B11EA8677335C231BF121?category=all&searchtype=hashtag&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=#sandbox&max=50&maxis=false

Thanks I'll try this too! Wow so many good ideas I really didn't realize that I could do haha...Ok I'll try them all. To be continued I guess :D I'll try and post pictures of the museum too eventually. It's really cool...at least I think so anyway.
  • Options
    Well....so far the best thing that worked was for my Sims to simply outright buy the museum as a residence.
    They have maxed money and when they sold their furniture they got the money back that they spent on buying the museum.
    I got fish in the tanks (the two large ones are a cc) Fish bowls you can put fish into at any time regardless of the lot, but tanks won't and I honestly don't understand what the difference is in that? To me it's probably an oversight on Maxis' part. I tried generic and it didn't work and I couldn't do retail because I didn't have a cash register, but couldn't place it on a table or bar so I gave up on that one ugh. Anyway, doing it this way was super fast and not bad at all. Getting the fish in the tanks then going back to buy the regular home was quick and painless. My boys simply had to suffer through the welcome wagon all over again lol Thanks to @Daephene for the neat idea about putting the mounted fish behind their corresponding bowls! I have to organize them better, but the concept is up at least. Thanks to everyone that helped with the suggestions!

NLCZsBL.pngcluKslr.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Yours is pretty cool though I like it :) Thanks for sharing! And for those wondering, here's what the entire Museum of mine looks like. I suck at building so my place is a simple boring square outside for now lol Hopefully I can figure out some way to make it look nicer.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=18xx4EgA7mwQ2ZuYRPhriPpP1b0XD-a70
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Actually that was @crocobaura who made that suggestion. I was much less helpful. :)

It did turn out really neat!
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I tried to make an aquarium lot in Sulani and it wouldn’t let me put fish in tanks either. I think I even tried to make it generic lot but it wouldn’t work. I noticed people use debug spawners in a pool or something like that and it looks like fish are swimming there.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Yes, it does look lovely. :)
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    yeah, this is a frustrating thing about fish on community lots... i had a similar museum that displayed everything but couldn't figure out how to display live fish instead of just mounted versions for the life of me... that was a few years ago and the lot has since been replaced, with all the displays now being divided among multiple museums and art galleries around my world

i did recently build a 'marine biology lab' in sulani, have it set up as a museum and have various fish in aquariums there, both the ones that came with packs (spa day and dine out both used in it) but also some larger tanks i made out of swimming pools... with some tricks of various sorts for those larger ones if you'd like to try...

first off, as mentioned the lot is set as a museum, as seen here:
    3ca3a28887cc4338cc9c122ed2e7c5a4.png

but to get the fish into the aquariums i had to have it as a residence, with a sim living in it (i used this sim to fish up all the fish in it, as well, placing them in the aquariums as they were caught) and once had all the fish i wanted, i then evicted the sim and then turned the lot into the museum i wanted (evicting a sim ensures all the stuff on the lot stays on the lot instead of moving to their inventory/household inventory). it's frustrating and can take a while unless you use gallery upload collection rooms with all the fish or seashells you want to use

here are three side by side aquariums (part of a row of five) with some of the local fish in them (note, none of these fish on display here can be purchased from any aquarium)
    ef3a3aced4b7ebd64077329666a3f1c8.jpg

gonna put the next bit in spoilers, since it's build/decor focused for the large tanks
    basically, both tanks are just swimming pools on the second floor with windows placed so you can see inside, then decorated, primarily with showliveedit objects from island living. the first shot isn't the easiest to see the fish in, since it's darkened by being shot through a window

7bb61fa3bac1f95d8250d14c380572a1.png
    you can sort of see a few fish swimming around in here, easier to see the ones in front of the window in the back

scrolling the camera through that first window shows how i was able to have these fish swimming 'freely' in the tank
    e37c9e0ae1568d131f201e7ce855defd.jpg
    i took a few more of the dine out aquariums and shrunk them down, hiding them within the coral and rocks on the aquarium floor. the fish stored inside them don't shrink in size, so swim around like they're in more open water

you can also do similar with the one coffee table from my first pet stuff if you have that, since the fish and plants inside it don't shrink down when it is
    i had a few more tricks in my setup (like using shrunken fishing signs at or near the surface of the pools) but don't think that'll really suit your setup here
  • Options
    MariqueenMariqueen Posts: 24 Member
    Am I the only one getting strong ACNH vibes here or...???
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @Daephene Well you were close, you mentioned about mounting the fish. It's all good I appreciate the help :)
  • Options
    kalaksed wrote: »
    yeah, this is a frustrating thing about fish on community lots... i had a similar museum that displayed everything but couldn't figure out how to display live fish instead of just mounted versions for the life of me... that was a few years ago and the lot has since been replaced, with all the displays now being divided among multiple museums and art galleries around my world

i did recently build a 'marine biology lab' in sulani, have it set up as a museum and have various fish in aquariums there, both the ones that came with packs (spa day and dine out both used in it) but also some larger tanks i made out of swimming pools... with some tricks of various sorts for those larger ones if you'd like to try...

first off, as mentioned the lot is set as a museum, as seen here:
    3ca3a28887cc4338cc9c122ed2e7c5a4.png

but to get the fish into the aquariums i had to have it as a residence, with a sim living in it (i used this sim to fish up all the fish in it, as well, placing them in the aquariums as they were caught) and once had all the fish i wanted, i then evicted the sim and then turned the lot into the museum i wanted (evicting a sim ensures all the stuff on the lot stays on the lot instead of moving to their inventory/household inventory). it's frustrating and can take a while unless you use gallery upload collection rooms with all the fish or seashells you want to use

here are three side by side aquariums (part of a row of five) with some of the local fish in them (note, none of these fish on display here can be purchased from any aquarium)
    ef3a3aced4b7ebd64077329666a3f1c8.jpg

gonna put the next bit in spoilers, since it's build/decor focused for the large tanks
    basically, both tanks are just swimming pools on the second floor with windows placed so you can see inside, then decorated, primarily with showliveedit objects from island living. the first shot isn't the easiest to see the fish in, since it's darkened by being shot through a window

7bb61fa3bac1f95d8250d14c380572a1.png
    you can sort of see a few fish swimming around in here, easier to see the ones in front of the window in the back

scrolling the camera through that first window shows how i was able to have these fish swimming 'freely' in the tank
    e37c9e0ae1568d131f201e7ce855defd.jpg
    i took a few more of the dine out aquariums and shrunk them down, hiding them within the coral and rocks on the aquarium floor. the fish stored inside them don't shrink in size, so swim around like they're in more open water

you can also do similar with the one coffee table from my first pet stuff if you have that, since the fish and plants inside it don't shrink down when it is
    i had a few more tricks in my setup (like using shrunken fishing signs at or near the surface of the pools) but don't think that'll really suit your setup here

Wow that's all really nice. I had zero trouble moving my Sims out of the museum. I didn't have to evict them. I simply had them move and chose the option to sell the furniture. That means everything from the museum stayed where it was. The same when I sent them from their original home to the temp life in the museum. You just sell the furniture. You get the value for all your junk in your funds and it stays behind. When my boys finished with the fishes and I sent them home, it was like they were never gone. Even had the luck/fun of getting the Welcome Wagon to visit again lol
  • Options
    Mariqueen wrote: »
    Am I the only one getting strong ACNH vibes here or...???

What is that?