Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stories For Sims?

How do you guys get stories for Sims? All I do is just create a sim and just do whatever. But I have been seeing the stories lately and have been curious how you guys come up with them? Is that how you play or is everyone different?
sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    i have a huge list with all features (gameplay and special objects) that came with all the packs that i own. This list helps me build my storyline and don't forget anything that i have available in the game. It has helped me do more elaborate stories and actually use content that i constantly forgot about.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    My current story is based on the gameplay. I'm just playing the game and whatever the Sims themselves do, I develop it into the story itself. A few ideas I nudge myself, like my Sim Andrea having her boyfriend meet her parents, or my charity organiser Ellie trying to get a loan from her actress sister. Most of the time though, I take inspiration from the game itself :)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    My stories all stem from the same place, my imagination!

I’ve always even one to make stories up in my head, I even used to write but don’t anymore, so I personally find it easy for my imagination to just take me places every time I play the Sims.

There’s always an unwritten backstory to my Sims, and the townies they come across, that will spring into mind during a session. “That vendor my Sim just got a taco from... What does their life look like? Is this their only job? What is their family like?” Those are some questions I find myself asking myself as I’m playing and 9x out of ten I’ll have an answer for myself that will enhance the imagined story of my Sims.

Considering I play with autonomy on I find that also helps me too because it can lead my game sessions down different paths! It’s why I love the Sims so much, because the possibilities are really just limited by your own imagination. 🙂
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    edited April 2020
    My current game follows the events of the story I've been working on for half of a year. (Clock the banner if wish to read, PM me for a link to an uncensored version). This is a no way a continuation of the story, it's just a gameplay for sake of gameplay, but sims do follow their in-story behavior and personalities. Right now I'm looking forward to starting a shop and can't decide which one - electronics of vampiric (I've never tried to have a shop). If I'll get a few good ideas, I can certainly see myself adding a few more episodes to the story.

Obviously, in this case the whole save was created for the story, not the other way around. All based on the imagination, stubbornness and determination.

First thing you need to know is that Sims can be rather dull game, so don't expect it to be exciting 100% of the time.

Second - how will you approach story writing? Do you want to play the game, take screenshots and then create a story around that or is it the story first? This is very important because you will have completely different games depending on the answer.

Third - incorporate the world around your sim into the story. Life goes on.

Fourth - try to get as clear vision of what you trying to achieve as possible. If you don't have vision, then you will inevitably run into a snag and get bored. Basically, what do you want?

Fifth - if you're making something - don't speak to anyone about the plot if you can, because you will immediately lose all interest in continuing. Create first.

And finally, the big one - outside of a very very few mods, it will all be up to you. You have to keep the story alive and it can take a lot of time. Think about it - are you willing to actually do it? It's fun to imagine it all, but to actually make it? This can be VERY tedious.

No matter what you decide, I wish you the best :)
    Post edited by ArcherDK on
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Use your imagination. Some people just aren’t story tellers and that’s ok too.
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    I have an overactive imagination. I have a few plots in my head going and im ignoring them and focusing on this one.

If you need inspiration, look into the legacy and challenges thread. Even if you dont want to do them because some find the rules restrictive and the game becomes chore-like, the challenges serve as great brainstorming points. Like.. the 100 baby challenge - what kind of sim wants to have 100 babies? Or the rags to riches challenge - why are they starting out with just rags?
    Theres historical challenge, rotational gameplay, building challenges,mafia challenge. Im sure one of it will get your gears going :)
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I just find myself naturally spinning stories that incorporate what the Sims do autonomously with what I want them to do.

Right now, I'm working on a 7 plots legacy - each generation I'll try to spin a story using one of Booker's 7 Basic Plots (more or less). I just wrapped Rags to Riches, next generation will be Voyage and Return as they learn Magic. I already have plans for future generations undertaking The Quest and Overcoming the Monster (there's a pack suitable for each) and Comedy will probably be a trip through University. The difficult ones will be Tragedy/The fall of the Villain and the first part of Rebirth/Redemption, because the game doesn't like it when you try to play villains. And I'm not sure where they're going to fall chronologically, either.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I mostly use my imagination/fantasy, a few details don't necessarily go on in-game, but I prefer playing through all events. When i make videos it gets different because I will need to run through a scene many times to get what I want, but even if I just imagine some event, it will be brought into the real game household's "memory", and affect how I play them later.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    I think a good start is looking in the challenge gameplay forum. There are so many stories where you can get inspirations for you own story. You don't need to play the legacy for it. I think at the beginning there is a lot of trial and error, especially in the game itself.

For me the game should relax me and do not do the opposite. In one game I tried the rebuilding the world challenge with 5 couples, while it was fun at first, I quitted when all families had 4 or more toddlers, one family had 5 daughters, but the heir had to be male. The Story was in my head, but never again, I swear. On the other side, I can't see my sims dieing, when I put so much time in them.

ArcherDK has explained it very well.
  • Arie03Arie03 Posts: 22 Member
    My sims all have a unique story, mostly in my head; but you can see it in the gameplay. You'll need a little bit of imagination to get a beneficial experience from playing the game. I mean its basically a virtual dollhouse game. If you've ever played with dolls its essential to have imagination Lol. There are a few ways to find entertain with the game without a actual story but it'll bore you. For some, the Sims is an acquired play. I've been playing since the original game so its basically life for me :).
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I come up with stories for all my sims. I don’t think I could just create a sim and then go wherever with them. It doesn’t have to follow a rigid storyline, but I like to create a backstory for each of them and at least have a vague idea of what I’d like to do with them based on their background. It’s always from my own imagination though, I don’t use challenges or anything like that.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I think in all the other Sim iterations I've always just played the game....no story to tell. But in TS4, I've really allowed my imagination to run wild. I usually have ideas that I may start with....but most of what happens is game-driven. I play rotational, which started with two vampire founders and their family has grown so much through the generations, so now the spin-offs are with their children and their children's children. Each household I play has their own storyline but it's all connected to the founders....lots of drama....quests for power, revenge plots, etc.

I'm also playing the original legacy challenge by pinstar with scoring....which has been quite interesting as I didn't think I'd stick with it. Each heir (generation) has their own story too....just to keep each generation interesting. I'm only in gen 7, & had to put it on pause. But I love coming up with stuff and then letting the game do the rest.
  • HecqHecq Posts: 35 Member
    The sims I created have the features of my friends or heroes from books, movies, or games (for example, two of my main characters - this is me and my husband). most often these are characters for a particular situation in my story. for example, a bad guy who should appear at some point.
  • menysanasmenysanas Posts: 22 Member
    Mmm... I like to put the traits and the aspiration random so, then, I had different sims with traits that I've never used. And then I can create, by myself, new and different stories.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    i have a huge list with all features (gameplay and special objects) that came with all the packs that i own. This list helps me build my storyline and don't forget anything that i have available in the game. It has helped me do more elaborate stories and actually use content that i constantly forgot about.

Send me that list :D
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    There are a lot of different ways to play. In my head, all of my sims have personalities and personal goals beyond what's in the game code, and when I play them I have them make decisions that are in line with who they are. Sometimes this leads to drama, sometimes it's just stuff they do. I am more of a family player than a storyteller, but the life stories of some of the family members end up being worthy of being called a plot, based on a combination of life decisions and game mechanics.

I will! Atm, in my part of the world is bed time and im at the phone in bed. But tomorrow i'll send you. It goes up to 800+ stuff i think.
  • LairaLaira Posts: 39 Member

I will! Atm, in my part of the world is bed time and im at the phone in bed. But tomorrow i'll send you. It goes up to 800+ stuff i think.

I want that list too! :smiley:
    @FurSimsOfficial @Laira sent! Hope it helps. You'll need to organize it your way though. I have it all in the order that i bought/used the packs.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    @FurSimsOfficial @Laira sent! Hope it helps. You'll need to organize it your way though. I have it all in the order that i bought/used the packs.

Thank you! Very nice to have made that effort :) Will check it out now.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    It is more fun with dark stories. Like murderous sim. Secret lover. Secret vampire lover who tortures sims in her dungeons etc. I need help ! Lol
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Is it more involved than the everything challenge list? If so, could I look too please?
  • Joyce777Joyce777 Posts: 74 Member
    I'm not that good of a story teller. But looking forward to learning how to do so. They are fun to read.
    Sims4 ID: LaynieJ
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I have a series of characters at this point and the plot kind of creates itself now but obviously I make the decisions. I now based developments in the game on the backgrounds and personalities of the various characters. This means that I have an idea of where a story is going but I limit what happens within the game to being realistic based on the interaction of the characters.

For example, I don't marry off sims who've never met each other. By that, I mean, they have to have met either in their neighborhood or in a community space or through some realistic way. Maybe a friend invited them to meet. I might have a general idea of who would work out together but they have to know each other for that to happen. I don't send sims over to totally random households in the different worlds without explanations. Community lots? Sure, for most of them.

All of my characters have various interests and I do pay attention to personalities but then I make my own decisions. Lately, a lot of my plots end up being, "Do I actually want drama to happen here or for things to work out."

There are some more villainous characters and some complex stories that I haven't shared on here. Mainly, I have many characters and now, I kind of go with the flow in the game. I switch between different households for different experiences and see how it all comes together.

Every character has a range of possible and probable actions in any given situation. I come up with the general tendencies and temperaments of the sims. For example, maybe a sim is shy or outgoing? I'll make them that way and then influence their behaviors. Maybe a partying sim eventually mellows out over time. I might follow that as it happens, but the character is driven by what is going on internally. It's a day off work and that sim is looking for something to do? I'll consider basic information like that in order to decide what happens. I could give you at least a short description of each sim. If I didn't want it to be that complex, I'd play with fewer households.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I make little stories about my sims all the time. My fave is an eight sim multi-millionaire four-star celebrity household.