Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plumbots are a disappointment.

After using the Plumbots in The Sims 3, as well as the bots that came in the Into the Future expansion, I'm finding the Plumbots in Sims 4 University to be rather disappointing.

For several reasons, the UI is not very intuitive, where you can only check for it's stats by a notification popup. In the Sims 3, adding and removing personality modules was a breeze and your bots stats were well defined in the UI.

We are also missing things like a charging dock for the Plumbot to charge itself on. Instead, it just deactivates on the spot.

On top of all this, the Plumbot in Sims 4 seems to act too much like an ordinary sim. At least the bots in the Into the Future expansion would always prioritize it's programmed tasks, then return for recharge when it needed to.

I could probably keep listing out reasons but I think that's enough. Yeah, pretty disappointed in these so far, I wish they were done properly like they were in the past.

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited April 2020
    1. There are no plumbots in Sims 4.
    2. Plumbots have almost nothing in common with Servos NOR with Simbots, the true replacement for Servos in Sims 3
    3. Servos in Sims 4 is a direct relative to the Servos of Sims 2 and the Simbots in Sims 3, which were just another lifestage like Vampires, Werewolves, Witches and so on. Just like in Sims 4.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    2. Plumbots have almost nothing in common with Servos NOR with Simbots, the true replacement for Servos in Sims 3
    3. Servos in Sims 4 is a direct relative to the Servos of Sims 2 and the Simbots in Sims 3, which were just another lifestage like Vampires, Werewolves, Witches and so on. Just like in Sims 4.

I appreciate the clarifications.

My complaints are still valid however. I gave my Servo the cleaning bot module but he still prioritizes chatting up my sims over doing chores.

My complaints are still valid however. I gave my Servo the cleaning bot module but he still prioritizes chatting up my sims over doing chores.

That's because he is a lifestage, not a cleaning bot. So yes I disagree with you about the validity of your complaint. You are comparing apples and oranges. Or are you saying Ghosts, Mermaids, Vampires, Mages and Aliens should not be fully playable lifeforms?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited April 2020

That's because he is a lifestage, not a cleaning bot. So yes I disagree with you about the validity of your complaint. You are comparing apples and oranges. Or are you saying Ghosts, Mermaids, Vampires, Mages and Aliens should not be fully playable lifeforms?

It's interesting you say they're not cleaning bots but also call them the direct relative of The Sims 2's. In TS2, they pretty much are cleaning bots. They have high skill levels in cooking, cleaning, and mechanical, and are programmed to do chores autonomously every hour. And, yes, are fully playable.

I mean, it's obvious, the root of the problem is the poor autonomy of Sims in The Sims 4.
  • Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    Or are you saying Ghosts, Mermaids, Vampires, Mages and Aliens should not be fully playable lifeforms?

That’s literally not what they said...

Anyway, I agree with the OP. Plumbots, simbots, servos or whatever the heck they’re calling them this go around fell a little flat for me. I think I would’ve preferred them in a different pack, one with maybe more of a sci-fi theme to it where they could’ve been fleshed out more. I did find it odd that they spent time and resources including them in DU. If they had been placed somewhere else, maybe that could’ve left more room for other more uni themed activities *shrug*
  • coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    Or are you saying Ghosts, Mermaids, Vampires, Mages and Aliens should not be fully playable lifeforms?

I think I would’ve preferred them in a different pack, one with maybe more of a sci-fi theme to it where they could’ve been fleshed out more. *

Absolutely! I really like the attention to detail we got in the Vampires pack. If only it got the same level of care.

• MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    This is a nitpick, but Simbots (not Plumbots - they did) didn't have a charging station either and regained energy by.... Sleeping in a bed, so at least it's more intuitive than that.

Im just more annoyed that we have Servos, Simbots & Plumbots in the franchise. Why did we need all 3? Why is it so confusing? Did EA forget Servos exist during The Sims 3 era?
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Mine all do what they are programmed to do. If they have the cleaning module they clean, if they have the fix it module they fix the broken things. They will talk and act like other sims but will do what they are programmed to do (at least mine sure seem to). Once you unlock a module you do have to click the servo and activate it though, maybe yours are unlocked but not activated?

Also, I think you can check their progress in the pie menu when you click them under the "servo" option.

The only real issue I have with them is the emotion system making them make ridiculous choices sometimes. That's not the servo's fault though, that's the emotion systems fault which is a totally different conversation.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    Barbie430 wrote: »

That’s literally not what they said...

Anyway, I agree with the OP. Plumbots, simbots, servos or whatever the heck they’re calling them this go around fell a little flat for me. I think I would’ve preferred them in a different pack, one with maybe more of a sci-fi theme to it where they could’ve been fleshed out more. I did find it odd that they spent time and resources including them in DU. If they had been placed somewhere else, maybe that could’ve left more room for other more uni themed activities *shrug*

That is exactly what was said (that Servos should be more like Plumbots, which means that the OP don't consider them true lifestages) AND the insistence to bring Plumbots into it which has nothing to do with Servos.

Again:
    Plumbots are separate both from Servos and Simbots. Plumbots are fare more like automated drones.
    So again, bringing up Plumbots when talking about Servos is comparing apples and oranges.
  • Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    That is exactly what was said (that Servos should be more like Plumbots, which means that the OP don't consider them true lifestages) AND the insistence to bring Plumbots into it which has nothing to do with Servos.

Again:
    Plumbots are separate both from Servos and Simbots. Plumbots are fare more like automated drones.
    So again, bringing up Plumbots when talking about Servos is comparing apples and oranges.

I was referring specifically to your quote: “Or are you saying Ghosts, Mermaids, Vampires, Mages and Aliens should not be fully playable lifeforms?” The OP didn’t say that; they never brought up other life stages.

Again:
    You are being a pedant and you know it. OP got the name wrong because Maxis decided to make 3 differently named robot lifestates throughout the franchise for some reason, and it's confusing.

And when was the last time you played The Sims 2? Servos in The Sims 2 always had high Neatness personality points and maxed mechanical, cleaning and cooking, and were therefore programmed to do chores by default if you had autonomy enabled. They were essentially butlers that you had control over.
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
    Magnezone wrote: »

Again:
    You are being a pedant and you know it. OP got the name wrong because Maxis decided to make 3 differently named robot lifestates throughout the franchise for some reason, and it's confusing.

And when was the last time you played The Sims 2? Servos in The Sims 2 always had high Neatness personality points and maxed mechanical, cleaning and cooking, and were therefore programmed to do chores by default if you had autonomy enabled. They were essentially butlers that you had control over.

And i would let it go, if the OP wasn't repeating it.

Again:

OP themself has not mentioned anything to do with Plumbots since the third post in this thread. There are 13 posts in this thread thus far.

"well do you not want Servos to be a real life state?? How about mermaids or vampires or aliens??" is entirely a strawman. It's not what they said, not even close actually.

They're stating the Servos don't autonomously do chores. Which is literally something they were programmed to do in The Sims 2. And something the Simbots from Ambitions seem to do in The Sims 3. My simbot from my Ambitions save, at least, always tries to do the laundry and fix broken plumbing when I'm not controlling her and gets broken down.

You read so far beyond what this person was trying to say its unreal.
    XVlamuQ.png
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2020

NEWSFlASH, In TS2 and TS1 the servos one of the purposes and functionwas to CLEAN the HOUSE and DO CHORES! So no, apples to apples are being compared.

And speaking of playability, what does Plumbot not being a NPC has anything to do with the OP's complaint?

Again:

He wasn't repeating; he corrected himself after your comment. And if you want to overly nitpick misused term to digress from discussed argument, let's talk why you had bring up:
    (that Servos should be more like Plumbots, which means that the OP don't consider them true lifestages)
    It's called a life stage, not life state.
    And Was there any mention of not any non-true life states? Both, plumbots and servos are life states. Quote to wiki, a life state: a creature, or an occult is a kind of Sim or pet with a special appearance and abilities, mostly inspired by legends or science fiction. Whether they're playable or not (genies and ghost in TS2 for instance) doesn't exclude them from being defined as life states, though usually they are playable.

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2020
    *double post*
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Disappointment is the word that resumes The Sims 4. At this point it will be like that until the end and will be remembered by that. LOL
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    PLUMBOTS ARE TS4 IS A DISAPPOINTMENT.