Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Content virus

prettygirl00prettygirl00 Posts: 6 New Member
Im want custom content but I'm scared to get a virus. If i mess up this mac book pro my dad is going kill me..

Comments

• SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    edited October 2016
    The chances of messing up your computer with custom content are very very slim. Trust me, I was in the same position as you awhile ago! I didn't want to get any cc because I was terrified of messing my computer up! You just have to be careful with where you're downloading it from. I can link to a thread that I made long ago just like this with some good websites and advise.

Update
    I think Modthesims is pretty safe, they don't use adfly on the downloads there. If you're using laptop mode ( I use it also) make sure to avoid alpha hair, it's the realistic looking wispy hair, this type of hair will always have those weird blonde streaks in laptop mode. TSR has a lot of alpha hair for example, you can use clay hair in laptop mode though. Clay hair is the stuff that looks like the Maxis hair from the base game. Some creators off the top of my head who do not use adfly are wildlyminiaturesandwich and simplesimmer on tumblr. It's hard to find creators who do not use adfly though. I download through adfly a lot but have never gotten a virus, using an adblocker is a good idea if you want to download through adfly. I use one called Ublock Origin when browsing in chrome, and it works great.
    (OP: @MistyDove)
    giphy.gif
  • prettygirl00prettygirl00 Posts: 6 New Member
    Summerjase wrote: »
    The chances of messing up your computer with custom content are very very slim. Trust me, I was in the same position as you awhile ago! I didn't want to get any cc because I was terrified of messing my computer up! You just have to be careful with where you're downloading it from. I can link to a thread that I made long ago just like this with some good websites and advise.

Update
    I think Modthesims is pretty safe, they don't use adfly on the downloads there. If you're using laptop mode ( I use it also) make sure to avoid alpha hair, it's the realistic looking wispy hair, this type of hair will always have those weird blonde streaks in laptop mode. TSR has a lot of alpha hair for example, you can use clay hair in laptop mode though. Clay hair is the stuff that looks like the Maxis hair from the base game. Some creators off the top of my head who do not use adfly are wildlyminiaturesandwich and simplesimmer on tumblr. It's hard to find creators who do not use adfly though. I download through adfly a lot but have never gotten a virus, using an adblocker is a good idea if you want to download through adfly. I use one called Ublock Origin when browsing in chrome, and it works great.
    (OP: @MistyDove)

Thank You so much!
  • SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    Of course! I'm happy to help :)
    giphy.gif
    wow im so stupid I'm using laptop mode and use alpha hair lol
    stupid*
    when ur off laptop mode can u use alpha hair?
  • Broncos4lifeBroncos4life Posts: 11,798 Member
    I follow simblrs such as lilsimsiecc.tumblr.com/[/url, because they have game tested it and know it is good CC. I have only had one issue with CC, but luckily, my Mcafee caught it in time! I have it set to automatically scan all downloads. Also, on thesimsresource.com[/urlyou can look at featured artists, who have made a lot of good CC, and are trusted designers. modthesims.info/ is also a pretty reliable place for good CC. I don't download CC off of tumblr unless it is on a compiled cc simblr.

Just some general tips for downloading CC:
    ~make sure what you're downloading comes with a mesh, or that you download the mesh, or it will make most of your sim's body disappear :o
    ~make sure the cc is for the correct sims game, and if you have multiple sims games that it goes in the right games mods folder. I downloaded a bunch of sims 3 CC for sims 4 once :D
    ~If you notice a problem in your game, like loading taking longer than usual, it is probably CC that is causing the problem. Do the 50/50 method with your most recent CC until you find the bad CC

Hope this helps :) and welcome to the forums!
    Do you like solving a mystery? Come join a mafia game!
    Link: here!

71t7p4hX88L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    I follow simblrs such as [/"/l, because they have game tested it and know it is good CC. I have only had one issue with CC, but luckily, my Mcafee caught it in time! I have it set to automatically scan all downloads. Also, on you can look at featured artists, who have made a lot of good CC, and are trusted designers. is also a pretty reliable place for good CC. I don't download CC off of tumblr unless it is on a compiled cc simblr.

Just some general tips for downloading CC:
    ~make sure what you're downloading comes with a mesh, or that you download the mesh, or it will make most of your sim's body disappear :o
    ~make sure the cc is for the correct sims game, and if you have multiple sims games that it goes in the right games mods folder. I downloaded a bunch of sims 3 CC for sims 4 once :D
    ~If you notice a problem in your game, like loading taking longer than usual, it is probably CC that is causing the problem. Do the 50/50 method with your most recent CC until you find the bad CC

Hope this helps :) and welcome to the forums!

Thank you so much!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Hello :) Welcome to the forums! Just a little information.You need to have 50 points and 30 posts before you can become a full member and can then post pictures, have a signature, edit posts , post links and change your profile picture.This thread explains about it.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know

These links explain about cc and mods
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/mods-cc.php
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_4_Package_Files
    http://sims-online.com/install-mods-custom-content-sims-4-tutorial/
    Mysims4blog is a great site to find cc and mods. They post new cc/mods each day.
    The link is
    http://mysims4blog.blogspot.com

Modthesims is a good place to get mods from
    http://modthesims.info

Happy simming! :)
  • acaiacai Posts: 1 New Member
    i just downloaded some custom content and i just got 5 viruses what do i do
  • xLunaSimsxxLunaSimsx Posts: 6,719 Member
    acai wrote: »
    i just downloaded some custom content and i just got 5 viruses what do i do

That happens sometimes since there are websites with many advertisements, and sites where malicious files attach themselves to normally harmless files. First thing I'd say, get rid of the custom content, and look through all of your files for anything suspicious. Did you put them in the game yet?
    MPy9H9S.gif