❄️ Get ready for the Snowy Escape Live Stream today! ❄️ Let's watch it together here.
October 23 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

Dear Maxis, please add more traits and aspirations!

«1
The following image is taken from Carl Sim's Guides
ei8dlazq4ut41.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=ade4b31522f4b400e3e48b29e1672b6942919fee

The Sims 4 not been adding many traits with every expansion. The current traits tend to give moodlets and don't affect the gameplay dynamically. The Sims 3 had so many traits with every expansion that not only gave moodlets but affected the way the Sims all interacted. In The Sims 3 the brooding trait for example use to realistically let those Sims take longer to shower which concurs with someone who would spend a lot of time pondering on things.
tenor.gif

Let's look at the technophobe trait. I used to love using that and making a technophobe sims destroy electronics everywhere to upset other sims. (Any emotions/ moodlets? No, just pure behaviour due to a trait)I remember the absent minded trait which would be so challenging for me when I played with Connor Frio from Sunset Valley. I had to actually keep focused on the game to help him complete tasks (he has really genetics so I used to use him a lot) so I can fulfill my storytelling.
tenor.gif?itemid=9715513

I miss the unlucky trait because I used to have fun leaving those Sims on their own to fall into misery without me having to actually force drama for the sake of storytelling. From fires starting abruptly, coffee machines breaking down on them to the house getting robbed as if jinxed. (by the way WHERE ARE THE BURGLARS AND POLICE ARRESTS IN TS4 ALREADY??!?!?) I miss the way traits used to affect the world around the sims versus a moodlet appearing for some fleeting hours! I had to force a Sims to get mortified last week so he could die and lend some credibility to my family legacy I'm doing, then get another to jump into the shark pool ninneteen times before she finally got mauled to death. I think the morality of Sims is too protected in The Sims 4 but that's whole other rant. Nevertheless, dear MAXIS, we need more traits and aspirations, sincerely a longtime fan.
tenor.gif?itemid=11955164


gCQKjq4.png

Comments

  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 2,682 Member
    edited April 20
    But first we need those current traits to be actually meaningful. Because they do literally nothing. Except changing mood and that I absolutely hate. I sincerely hate the emotion system.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 18,127 Member
  • OtsenaOtsena Posts: 17 Member
    Yes, please! I mean the mods out there are amazing and do so much for our games but I'd really love to see what EA could come up with.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,398 Member
    I'm much more interested in aspirations than traits tbh, but I support the overall sentiment lol.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,102 Member
    I agree with needing more traits/aspirations, but I also agree with what's been said before, that we need traits that actually do something and aspirations that aren't just pack tutorials.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 7,182 Member
    I'd love to have both more traits and more aspirations. I'd especially love more aspirations tied to jobs.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 301 Member
    I think at this point it doesn't matter how many traits exist because it will be always affected by the stupid flopped and broken emotion system that in my opinion is the reason traits don't shine and eventually sims will end up being all the same no matter how different I made them!
  • DeafSimmerDeafSimmer Posts: 2,802 Member
    This. ^^^
    Just so you know, my story blog is on hiatus. It might be permanent. Only time will tell. At the moment, I'll be playing Sims 3.
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 209 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    I think at this point it doesn't matter how many traits exist because it will be always affected by the stupid flopped and broken emotion system that in my opinion is the reason traits don't shine and eventually sims will end up being all the same no matter how different I made them!

    Yes. For example I could make a 'jelous' sim, and sure they get 'tense' while their lover is gone, but that's it. I want them to get like straight up angry and fight other sims for talking to them. Even being cheated on only makes them angry for a few hours and then it's business as usual. The emotion system can really work against any chance of good AI.

    Traits like book worm, or cat/dog lover should skew a sims actions toward doing things related to that trait alot more often than other things. Instead we a rectcled social interaction, that looks and sounds the same as another social interaction, with a pen/cat/dog in the thought bubble. Really, what's the point. They don't act any different than any other sim, so the trait is completly useless.

    They need something like the interests that they had in.. 2(?) Where they could just randomly pick up an interest while doing something and all of a sudden WANT to do something. Whims I guess sort of like that except there's like what 5 of them that cycle through, and are completly arbitrary, having to do more with environment and buffs than any hint of a personality. But we will not see anything like this in the game anymore, I think; definately not in sims 4 anyway. Disheartening.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 505 Member
    I doubt anything can be done about the traits unless they overhaul them, which I don't expect by now. Since the traits mostly give moodlets and don't affect behavior (and no longer even give new whims, in case of newer traits), they really don't make that much of a difference, which saddens me because it means sims I don't control are basically all the same outside of looks. I do think an interest system similar to sims 2 would help greatly and, since it would be a new system, I think it could be added. I also wish we add more aspirations, similar to what we had in Sims 3, but I doubt it will happen, and it's not nearly as important as working on the sims' personalities.
    Check out my builds and my Disney inspired stories! I also now keep track of my random legacy
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 7,414 Member
    yes please I would be will to buy a whole pack just for that
    the sims 4 isn't getting new whims right now and I think they have dropped them all together if we want new whims in sims 4 we need to tweet the gurus and tell them we like whims
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,163 Member
    Agree with everyone here. We do need more traits and aspirations but they will be just as useless as what we already have if they don't fix the emotion system first.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,853 Member
    But first we need those current traits to be actually meaningful. Because they do literally nothing. Except changing mood and that I absolutely hate. I sincerely hate the emotion system.

    Exactly! Why fill the game with more traits when existing ones work underwhelming-ly than the counterpart of the previous game. The unlucky trait would just end up giving a bad moodlet that only increase the odds of losing in the games and that's that.
  • Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 26
    A real question, doesn't mean to be sarcastic. Does the simguru ever read people's suggestions?
    I'm so desperate and really wanted a lot of improvement in TS4. Colorwheel, paintable ceiling, flat roof, sexual orientation, adjust lifespan manually, more family relationship (aunt, uncle, in-law, etc), cemetery and many more.

    I just spent a total of 100+ hours on TS3, so I'm not sure how shallow TS4 compared to TS3. But I really miss that I have a lot of traits to choose from, so many that I get confused about which to pick. The traits that make them unlucky, not afraid of ghost (daredevil? brave?), technophobe, easily impressed, good sense of humor, hydrophobic, etc.
    I created around 20 sims (TS4) in the past few weeks and honestly, I run out of ideas. Only 3 slots available, and the number of traits barely reaches 60.
    I don't know why the traits are so far less compared to TS3. Maybe because they implemented the mood system which makes them harder (more coding required?) to add new traits?
    Before TS5 launches, I wish to see at least (let's be realistic), 70 traits. It's not much to ask, right?

    I love that Carl's Sims Guide posted a video like this, I love when popular simmer critic on how bad The Sims 4 is. Our voice is too small, I feel like we always get ignored no matter how hard we try, how many posts we created here, it doesn't matter because our voice won't reach the developer.
    Post edited by Andyzhang2896 on
  • simsgirl2619simsgirl2619 Posts: 14 New Member
    I completely agree. More aspirations and traits would make gameplay more interesting!
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    Wow, that chart is very effective in showing us how much money we are wasting on empty content!

    It's really ridiculous at this point. And the minimal number of traits doesn't even begin to address the severely lacking way that traits affect gameplay and personality in TS4 compared to 2 and 3....sigh.
  • roxiroxi Posts: 3 New Member
    I was really upset with the sims 4 when i realized how basic the traits were in the game, but when I found out that you earn traits throughout your sims life, their idea grew on me. The lack of available traits is really silly though... I think if they let out a game pack or "stuff" pack with JUST traits, I would probably buy it. honestly, they don't even have to be create a sim traits, they can be traits earned through playing the game! for example, if your sim puts themself out (after being on fire) they then get a "fireproof" trait, where they cant be harmed by fire. Or if they get struck by lightning, they can be afraid of storms and refuse to go outside in the rain. If they get sick too many times, they could get a "frail" or "puny" trait that makes them usually lose fights even if they increase their athletic skill.
    My point is there are many ways to make the trait system AMAZING and they could even make money off of it, I wouldn't even be mad,
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,656 Member
    edited September 5
    roxi wrote: »
    I was really upset with the sims 4 when i realized how basic the traits were in the game, but when I found out that you earn traits throughout your sims life, their idea grew on me. The lack of available traits is really silly though... I think if they let out a game pack or "stuff" pack with JUST traits, I would probably buy it. honestly, they don't even have to be create a sim traits, they can be traits earned through playing the game! for example, if your sim puts themself out (after being on fire) they then get a "fireproof" trait, where they cant be harmed by fire. Or if they get struck by lightning, they can be afraid of storms and refuse to go outside in the rain. If they get sick too many times, they could get a "frail" or "puny" trait that makes them usually lose fights even if they increase their athletic skill.
    My point is there are many ways to make the trait system AMAZING and they could even make money off of it, I wouldn't even be mad,

    Sims 3 had a very interesting way of handling those types of traits and there were many more of them than what is in Sims 4. For every non-hidden skill and a couple of hidden skills, there were skill challenges. For instance, under charisma, if you meet 25 sims, you'll start getting friendship boosts when you meet new sims. If you have 20 friends, your friendships never decay. If you learn 50 traits of other sims, you learn traits more quickly. 100 jokes, and your jokes don't fail. 10 best friends, and when making friends you'll skip the good friend level and go straight to best friends.

    But more than that, your traits and actions guide your whims. A bookworm will want to read a book. Then 5 books. Then write a book. Then write 5 books. These values keep increasing in wishes, but as they write more, they start rolling wishes like writing a best seller. Making so much in royalties. Meanwhile, as you read and write, you are making progress on your skill challenges as well.

    It's a different system, but I was impressed that every time they added a new skill, they'd have all these challenges attached and every challenge had a reward.
  • kaylin205kaylin205 Posts: 381 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    roxi wrote: »
    I was really upset with the sims 4 when i realized how basic the traits were in the game, but when I found out that you earn traits throughout your sims life, their idea grew on me. The lack of available traits is really silly though... I think if they let out a game pack or "stuff" pack with JUST traits, I would probably buy it. honestly, they don't even have to be create a sim traits, they can be traits earned through playing the game! for example, if your sim puts themself out (after being on fire) they then get a "fireproof" trait, where they cant be harmed by fire. Or if they get struck by lightning, they can be afraid of storms and refuse to go outside in the rain. If they get sick too many times, they could get a "frail" or "puny" trait that makes them usually lose fights even if they increase their athletic skill.
    My point is there are many ways to make the trait system AMAZING and they could even make money off of it, I wouldn't even be mad,

    Sims 3 had a very interesting way of handling those types of traits and there were many more of them than what is in Sims 4. For every non-hidden skill and a couple of hidden skills, there were skill challenges. For instance, under charisma, if you meet 25 sims, you'll start getting friendship boosts when you meet new sims. If you have 20 friends, your friendships never decay. If you learn 50 traits of other sims, you learn traits more quickly. 100 jokes, and your jokes don't fail. 10 best friends, and when making friends you'll skip the good friend level and go straight to best friends.

    But more than that, your traits and actions guide your whims. A bookworm will want to read a book. Then 5 books. Then write a book. Then write 5 books. These values keep increasing in wishes, but as they write more, they start rolling wishes like writing a best seller. Making so much in royalties. Meanwhile, as you read and write, you are making progress on your skill challenges as well.

    It's a different system, but I was impressed that every time they added a new skill, they'd have all these challenges attached and every challenge had a reward.

    I love this about sims 3. It makes it very interesting and the traits wishes helps guide you through the game if you follow it. Never a dull moment with the game that's for sure.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,656 Member
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    roxi wrote: »
    I was really upset with the sims 4 when i realized how basic the traits were in the game, but when I found out that you earn traits throughout your sims life, their idea grew on me. The lack of available traits is really silly though... I think if they let out a game pack or "stuff" pack with JUST traits, I would probably buy it. honestly, they don't even have to be create a sim traits, they can be traits earned through playing the game! for example, if your sim puts themself out (after being on fire) they then get a "fireproof" trait, where they cant be harmed by fire. Or if they get struck by lightning, they can be afraid of storms and refuse to go outside in the rain. If they get sick too many times, they could get a "frail" or "puny" trait that makes them usually lose fights even if they increase their athletic skill.
    My point is there are many ways to make the trait system AMAZING and they could even make money off of it, I wouldn't even be mad,

    Sims 3 had a very interesting way of handling those types of traits and there were many more of them than what is in Sims 4. For every non-hidden skill and a couple of hidden skills, there were skill challenges. For instance, under charisma, if you meet 25 sims, you'll start getting friendship boosts when you meet new sims. If you have 20 friends, your friendships never decay. If you learn 50 traits of other sims, you learn traits more quickly. 100 jokes, and your jokes don't fail. 10 best friends, and when making friends you'll skip the good friend level and go straight to best friends.

    But more than that, your traits and actions guide your whims. A bookworm will want to read a book. Then 5 books. Then write a book. Then write 5 books. These values keep increasing in wishes, but as they write more, they start rolling wishes like writing a best seller. Making so much in royalties. Meanwhile, as you read and write, you are making progress on your skill challenges as well.

    It's a different system, but I was impressed that every time they added a new skill, they'd have all these challenges attached and every challenge had a reward.

    I love this about sims 3. It makes it very interesting and the traits wishes helps guide you through the game if you follow it. Never a dull moment with the game that's for sure.

    Yep, and given you have five traits (up to seven if you have university), it can make for very different game play even you have have the same basic outline. And then the overarching lifetime wish also can make things play out differently.

    Sims 4 aspirations remind me of Sims 3 skill challenges with fewer rewards. But if you want to pursue more than one, in Sims 4 you have to flip around, and that's a type of micromanagement that gets annoying very quickly.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 6,265 Member
    I’m one of the people who prefers for each career to have their own corresponding aspiration. I don’t know why they do it for some careers and not others.
    Origin ID : ChazzzyGOAT
    Recommended Mods : http://chazzzygoat.tumblr.com
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Maybe they should start smaller, by adding whims that go along with, many packs ago that have no whims to go with them before even adding more of those, and still they need more traits and aspirations
  • zensluvzensluv Posts: 72 Member
    I SO agree with those that state they'd buy a pack just for a personality traits and aspirations overhaul! The personality is what is at the CORE of SIms gameplay. So EA can add all the superficial content and gameplay they want, but without rich personalities, then playing any scenario out becomes generic quickly. I want to see personalities matter more. If they could give us up to 5 trait slots, and more likes/dislikes (like the technophobe, for eg.). They KIND of got into that with the movies, where some sims like or dislike certain genres. or with he politics in San Myshino. But the problem for us Simmers is that the personality just stops there. It doesn't MATTER if a Sims prefer horror or comedy. Nothing in their interests matter to their lives. Here's bigger example, in the romance department, every Sim is equally attractive or unattractive. when getting to kno9w a Sim, it'd be awesome to find out about shared likes (OMG he's also a horror fan, AND we love the same music AND we obsess over the same celebrities - we must be soul mates) Mischief is another one - oh don't get me started == that is weakly done in the game. When it comes to being bad or making mischief, it doesn't REALLY matter. It helped when they added in reputation, but there's so much more that could be done. Simmers don't want a utopia where everyone likes everyone else, we want to experience all different kinds of relationships and family feuds and drama. Dear EA, give our Sims personalities so we can bring on the drama!!
    Find my builds at #zensluv4real
  • zensluvzensluv Posts: 72 Member
    Wouldn't it be cool if the experiences and activties of kids and teens actually formed their personality likes and dislikes? For example, a teen who plays a lot of video games might form a "like" for sci-fi or fantasy, or make them more likely to befriend a magician. Or one who reads a lot of romance novels earns a bookworm trait and a romantic trait. Someone who never went swimming might end up a waterphobe and hate swimming later (or even risk drowning). Or a kid who draws a lot or makes crafts might become artistic, giving boosts to crafting skills later in life. I know that sounds complicated but even a simplified system would be awesome!
    Find my builds at #zensluv4real
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,247 Member
    zensluv wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be cool if the experiences and activties of kids and teens actually formed their personality likes and dislikes? For example, a teen who plays a lot of video games might form a "like" for sci-fi or fantasy, or make them more likely to befriend a magician. Or one who reads a lot of romance novels earns a bookworm trait and a romantic trait. Someone who never went swimming might end up a waterphobe and hate swimming later (or even risk drowning). Or a kid who draws a lot or makes crafts might become artistic, giving boosts to crafting skills later in life. I know that sounds complicated but even a simplified system would be awesome!

    That's a great idea, I would love that so much
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top