Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

List of things The Sims needs to survive the 2020s

Open Worlds
CAW
CASt
An option to edit exist worlds

All life stages
Babies that can be removed from a crib
Toddlaz
Pre teens
An additional adult life stage

Cars that you can get into a drive around

Active community lots
Lively cafes
Busy Restaurants
Jam packed bars
Manic nightclubs

Dogs and cats in the base game
A farm EP to follow later

Crowded beaches
Quieter spots further down the beach
Family parks
A zoo full of animals and Sims

Rabbit holes that can be active
Schools with desks facing the front
Office blocks taller than the Burj Kalifa

Rain and more weather to follow in later EPs.

An ocean liner that you can build yourself.

A completely awesome build mode
An utterly awesome amount of objects in buy mode
A ridiculously awesome amount of clothing and hair for all age groups and an equal amount for male Sims and female Sims

A good variety of interactions between Sims
Family inter actions
Flirty interactions

Personalities that are so real you think that the game is alive
Sims that are so real they actually come alive (:no_mouth:)

There is one final important thing that the Sims needs as well...

The game needs to be... played... Offline!

Happy Simming :smiley:

Peace :smile:
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member
    I agree with you so much on all these points except another adult life stage. I would rather see another younger life stage. There is a pretty big jump from baby to toddler to child. There needs to be something in between one of these or even both. I am in desperate need of an open world! I know some people don’t care for it but to me it’s important in order to get immersed into the game. Someone mentioned on a different thread about ideas for 5 that they would like districts that are completely open and a loading screen in order to transfer from district to district. Not like in city living where they are small and there is still a loading screen to get to one building to another but a bigger district with no loading screens between the buildings in that area. I don’t know if I’m describing this accurately but that’s what I would like to see.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    edited April 2020
    Definitely agree on the offline play, CASt and option to edit worlds. Would love the ocean liner!

Instead of an additional adult lifestage I'd scrap Young Adults altogether and add the one we need between adult and elder: Mature adult. YA would get used again for college students, but only for them. Pre-teens or whatever they would be called are definitely needed and teens need younger faces (same height as adults, though, I want to continue to be able to use the full CAS for them)

Adding to the list:
    - Hair growing (optionally turn off, from Sims Castaway I know how annoying this can be at times)
    - Layered clothing (There are so many shirts under jackets that aren't available in CAS as individual items, it's sad)
    - Each world's climate to be defined by the player (part of edit worlds)
    - Sims respecting their home worlds
    - Politics career that can influence ingame laws
    - Gamemaster mode where we can define how our worlds work PER SAVE (are there vampires? ghosts? alien? if so, do they abduct sims? does the alien government pay compensation? are there no cost foods? university tuition yes or no? density of crime? Careers requirering uni? Risk of metorite impact? And so on)

Other than that my wishes are niche, and not what would make the game survive another decade: Return to each household being their own save, the Sims 2 community lot time (return home and no time has passed, sims are still doing what they were doing when you left instead of random nonsense) and two more Autonomy off modes (the first getting rid of emergency needs filling, autonomous switching of conversation categories, autonomous toddler scolding/checking/watching and the like and the second being a true zombie mode for creating picture stories).
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    A development team and upper management committed to making a solid & in-depth game on the order of pre-TS4, not continuing the current pablum.
  • Lee12321Lee12321 Posts: 318 Member
    I'd love to see some storylines, a few more regular buy mode items, such as plain rugs and curtains that fit different wall heights and window heights
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Disagree on more life stages. There is nothing unique about preteens that can't be added to teens or children.
  • SubtleSimmingSubtleSimming Posts: 196 Member
    The open worlds and option to edit worlds!! What does CASt mean? Also, I totally miss the memories from Sims 2 and I would love to have that without downloading a mod for it. The option for more traits too!
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The open worlds and option to edit worlds!! What does CASt mean? Also, I totally miss the memories from Sims 2 and I would love to have that without downloading a mod for it. The option for more traits too!

CASt is Create a Style :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • 4xel4xel Posts: 34 Member
    > @king_of_simcity7 said:
    > An utterly awesome amount of objects in buy mode
    > A ridiculously awesome amount of clothing and hair for all age groups and an equal amount for male Sims and female Sims

Won't happen. Not for free that is. Also, I think it's going to be tough to have both overcrowded places and open world (and even overcrowded alone is probably already challenging for the level of detail of the Sims, if overcrowded mean 50+ people).

I agree with most your points my favorite ones being open world, decent base content and offline mode.

I would add bugfree and balanced progression (including reasonable power creep). I only play sims 3 but have watched Carl's video on making a super in TS4, and skilling is pretty absurd, ludicrously moreso than in the already dubious TS3 (though money in TS3 probably comes first).
    Expansion like supernaturals are fine because I just know what to expect, but I find it pervasive when awarded an overpowered item or perk at the end of an otherwise balanced and interesting skill/career (collecting metals and compedium, brain enhancer machine, consignement store...)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @4xel wrote: »
    > A ridiculously awesome amount of clothing and hair for all age groups and an equal amount for male Sims and female Sims

Won't happen. Not for free that is. Also, I think it's going to be tough to have both overcrowded places and open world (and even overcrowded alone is probably already challenging for the level of detail of the Sims, if overcrowded mean 50+ people).

I agree with most your points my favorite ones being open world, decent base content and offline mode.

I would add bugfree and balanced progression (including reasonable power creep). I only play sims 3 but have watched Carl's video on making a super in TS4, and skilling is pretty absurd, ludicrously moreso than in the already dubious TS3 (though money in TS3 probably comes first).
    Expansion like supernaturals are fine because I just know what to expect, but I find it pervasive when awarded an overpowered item or perk at the end of an otherwise balanced and interesting skill/career (collecting metals and compedium, brain enhancer machine, consignement store...)

I don't think that busy community lots should be a problem in this day and age
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited May 2020
    4xel wrote: »

That is one point that I find interesting, and challenging. The next sims should have a good framework that can support a large number of sims being rendered at the same time. I think it is possible, as long as the game is good at freeing up resources. That is something that I have noticed are difficult to do in the sims games, the game needs to be better at loading and removing assets that the game does not need. Some games do it so well that they basically remove everything that the player does not see with the camera.

As for these things not happening for free, yes, I think we can expect that if EA wants to build a game that will be as large as this, then it will be over a 10 year period or something, so they can please both the players and their investors. Hopefully the base game will feel more complete than the sims4.

• 4xel4xel Posts: 34 Member
    @king_of_simcity7, @logion
    I just watched a couple grayStillPlays "forced 100 sims" videos, and while the game seems to render and animate them just fine, it was clearly not meant for that many sims:
    Sims freezing, autonomy bugged (or just lacking? Sims die on their own in a couple days before gray even try to kill them), ball of death...

So yeah, on the bright side, overcrowded places look definitely possible. On the dim side, it's not sure EA deem it worth. After all, sims4 household are still limited to 8 sims, and the only possible justification is to coax the player into a given playstyle. You can't even recreate 7th Heaven.

I can understand EA POV though. You don't need more than 20 Sims to fake a crowd, even if badly. And at 20 sims top,
    - the player mostly has enough people to interact with, and can still greet each if he wishes so.
    - you don't waste resources by generating triple the amount of sims you'll ever interact with in a Sim's day
    - you don't have to implement crowd behaviors

The last point is an important one. You don't behave the same alone at home with your honey bum, at home with 6 guests, in a busy street with a couple tens of people or in a packed in small concert room closing in 100 people. Sims behave the same no matter what, they won't think about hitting the bathroom or the dinner room before hanging out (though inactive's motive are cheated to simulate it) for an extended amount of time, they will hang out at the exist of a cinema even if it blocks the other still inside... As for pathing and colliding, except in very spacious houses, Sims2 and 3 were struggling right from the 6 guests part, I don't know about TS4 but the limit seems to be at most between the couple tens and the concert room.

So even if there will always be mods allowing to set free from the limit, and even if the game will run, I guess EA still has to put the work for autonomy (and story progression) and the pathing to not glitch and break appart. And it's debatable whether it worth putting the developpement time to fledge that many more sims that the player can meaningfully interact with. I think it's worth it but they'll probably have a debate if they're not already settled on pursuing on their current path (<= 8 per household and medium sized parties at community lots, mostly only ever one at once in town).
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I agree with everything you listed.

1) I also want pets like in TS3 where you can control them and that they have skills and careers. I want horses back and all the other animals from TS3 including dragons.

2) For life stages, I want the baby to have skills or goals like turning over on their own for the first time, sitting up, crawling, etc. I want the baby to have skill building objects too, portable stroller and playpen (like in TS3 - they were life savers!), plus more clothing and accessory options and hair styles too!

3) I also like the pollution toggle from TS4 or the dystopia option in TS3 to be included as well!

4) I also would LOVE an interface added for all the kinds of toggles we can turn on/off or tweek so that we won't need those kinds of mods (for example - turning off annoying idle actions and special effects we don't care for, or turning on the action for all sims to have the ability to sponge bath, not just the neat sims). Basically I want an in-game version of NRAAS' MasterController, Story Progression, Register, Retuner, Travel, Traffic, etc. etc. - an implementation basically all of the NRAAS mods because they allowed you to that high level of control to make TS3 play the way you want. That way, modders can just concentrate on adding new gameplay or objects with new gameplay.

5) Make the cellphone/smartphone an option so that we can play any time period including historical ones. Also there should be all different styles of phones from post-phone eras. They shouldn't all look modern. I want newspapers and magazines back.

6) Inclusion of more historical eras not just modern or future. Horses are important here as they were the main modes of transportation before cars were invented. That also means having carriages and wagons too!

7) I've mentioned this before, but I want flying to be the next step up in the evolution of transportation. NOT teleportation - I mean literally flying over the world from one spot on the map to other. There should also be all kinds of flying medium - planes, helicopters, hang gliders, Pegasys, large dragons, broom, flying vacuums (we had them in TS3, lol!), working wings (for fairies, angels, demons - not just hovering above the ground). And would be great too if there was an active airport with matching careers - like a pilot. There should also be other new careers like rescue crew that flies all over the world to rescue sims in danger - a step up from firefighter!

8) The return of active scuba diving! And also the ability to build communities under water! It always seemed more appropriate to me if my mermaids lived in the sea. I also would like my marine biologists to be able to work and live in an underwater research facility too!

9) For new pets, I would like more sea-related ones, like dolphins and seals and make them active ones I can control as well and that they have their own careers. I want sharks back again and tentacles, but also new dangerous sea creatures as well. I want the Kraken to make their appearance in other worlds too! I think it can be done but it's not a well known feature.

I'll post more as I think of any new ones!

• TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I agree with everything you listed.

1) I also want pets like in TS3 where you can control them and that they have skills and careers. I want horses back and all the other animals from TS3 including dragons.

2) For life stages, I want the baby to have skills or goals like turning over on their own for the first time, sitting up, crawling, etc. I want the baby to have skill building objects too, portable stroller and playpen (like in TS3 - they were life savers!), plus more clothing and accessory options and hair styles too!

3) I also like the pollution toggle from TS4 or the dystopia option in TS3 to be included as well!

4) I also would LOVE an interface added for all the kinds of toggles we can turn on/off or tweek so that we won't need those kinds of mods (for example - turning off annoying idle actions and special effects we don't care for, or turning on the action for all sims to have the ability to sponge bath, not just the neat sims). Basically I want an in-game version of NRAAS' MasterController, Story Progression, Register, Retuner, Travel, Traffic, etc. etc. - an implementation basically all of the NRAAS mods because they allowed you to that high level of control to make TS3 play the way you want. That way, modders can just concentrate on adding new gameplay or objects with new gameplay.

5) Make the cellphone/smartphone an option so that we can play any time period including historical ones. Also there should be all different styles of phones from post-phone eras. They shouldn't all look modern. I want newspapers and magazines back.

6) Inclusion of more historical eras not just modern or future. Horses are important here as they were the main modes of transportation before cars were invented. That also means having carriages and wagons too!

7) I've mentioned this before, but I want flying to be the next step up in the evolution of transportation. NOT teleportation - I mean literally flying over the world from one spot on the map to other. There should also be all kinds of flying medium - planes, helicopters, hang gliders, Pegasys, large dragons, broom, flying vacuums (we had them in TS3, lol!), working wings (for fairies, angels, demons - not just hovering above the ground). And would be great too if there was an active airport with matching careers - like a pilot. There should also be other new careers like rescue crew that flies all over the world to rescue sims in danger - a step up from firefighter!

8) The return of active scuba diving! And also the ability to build communities under water! It always seemed more appropriate to me if my mermaids lived in the sea. I also would like my marine biologists to be able to work and live in an underwater research facility too!

9) For new pets, I would like more sea-related ones, like dolphins and seals and make them active ones I can control as well and that they have their own careers. I want sharks back again and tentacles, but also new dangerous sea creatures as well. I want the Kraken to make their appearance in other worlds too! I think it can be done but it's not a well known feature.

I'll post more as I think of any new ones!

Regarding monster pets, animals that can cause havoc would be welcome! Bring those in!
  • chons95chons95 Posts: 51 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm sorry, I'm a bit lost. Is this for the sims 5 or sims 4? I don't want cats and dogs to be on the base game of sims 4, I payed for that??? And it's offline already.

Edit: ok, I realized it says 2020s not just 2020
    Post edited by chons95 on
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Forget the life stages.

What The Sims needs is gradual ageing.

Instead of being a Young Adult or an Adult or an Elder, a Sim should be 24, or 34, or 64. They should grow taller, learn to walk, get zits at 13, have their voices break at 14, get a bad back at 50 and start getting worse posture in their 70s.
    wJbomAo.png