Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Sims game do you think I would like?

Update: I actually wrote out a super long post in drafts but got bored waiting to become a full member to be able to post my question so went ahead and bought and downloaded the Sims 4 on a MacBook now (I don’t really know how to use mac computers so it may take some getting used to!) so ignore some bits of this post!

But I’d still like to hear you guys thoughts and suggestions so I’ll post it anyway. Hi btw! 👋🏼

Hey everyone! New member here from England. I was wondering what game you guys think I might like, how I get it and was hoping to be pointed in the right direction.
I haven’t played Sims for years, except for briefly trying Freeplay and Mobile. I was not a fan of either as I felt I didn’t have freedom to do much. Also I get irritated by ‘freemium’ games and things that want you to put real money on. (I got a bit addicted to this game Megapolis and spent way too much real money on it.)
I was a big fan of the original game, the first ever Sims, when I was about 11 and had all the expansion packs on PC and also had Sims 2 which I loved. I think I only had the Pets expansion pack and then life got in the way and I slowly stopped playing!
My favourite thing about the game is the family aspect. I like a lot of options and choices when Creating a Sim. I am not too phased with magic and supernatural stuff but I enjoyed the expansions such as hot date, and the holiday/vacation one.

I have also seen people posting about toddlers and teenagers not being in certain games which I thought was a real shame as I really enjoyed being able to play all life stages.

I don’t really know anything about custom content and that sort of thing and am not massively tech savvy! Also what sort of computer will I need to play it on? I don’t like mobile games (too small screen/ clumsy fingers / eye strain etc etc 😄) but would be happy to play it on tablet. I don’t think I would want to play it on PS4 or Xbox as I think I prefer it as a PC game. I have an old windows laptop i can use or my boyfriends MacBook.

Also I have heard you guys talking about stories and legacy , I have no idea what any of that means! Plz explain?

Anyways thanks for reading!! ❤️

Comments

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited April 2020
    Hello and welcome! :)

I'd suggest playing around with the base game yourself for awhile first and see what you think is missing. Give it a few weeks and if you find yourself saying something like "I wish my sims had a dog" or "I'd like to see some snow" it would help to give you an idea what packs you might like first. I was late to this iteration and that's how I handled my first few packs purchases. (Now I've ended up with most of them :D ha!)
    You said that you enjoyed families in the past so you might want to pick up Parenthood, Toddler Stuff and Kids Room Stuff. Don't worry about toddlers or teens not being in the game, you must have found some old posts because they are very much there and in the base game.

When you load the game, you can actually click on all the icons of all the expansions, game packs and stuff packs and see all the clothing and items actually included in that pack. You will probably want to look at that at some point as well.

There's a lot of videos on youtube as well that you could check out with various people reviewing and ranking the packs. You might want to look at some of those to help with your choices.

I don't know anything about CC either, so someone else will have to help you with that one. I don't mod or custom content.

Stories I think people just mean just that. Stories that they've created either in their head or published either on threads here or other places like Tumblr. I think there's also an Alexa app that does some sort of story mode and there's a story mode in Create a Sim (CAS). They could also be meaning either of those things, but without actually seeing the thread it's hard to know the context of what they were talking about.
    Legacy they're usually referring to their "legacy family". It's usually a family created and goes on for generations. There's been a legacy challenge with rules to this that's been around since the days of TS2 and adapted over the years for TS3 and now TS4. They could be talking about the challenge family they're working on, or just simply a family they've had for several generations.

Hopefully you found some of this helpful. Enjoy your game!

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Tinkerbelle2Tinkerbelle2 Posts: 29 Member
    Camkat thank you so much! This was massively helpful.
    Definitely excited to look into to the game packs.
    I have spent a whole day playing it so far and I must admit I’m really enjoying it, I haven’t noticed myself missing anything from the older games yet.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    It took me a couple of weeks before I decided I wanted more to play with. :) Another advantage of starting the series later is that there a lot of packs to choose from, and you have reviews of them all. You can add things to your game as slow or as fast as you need/like.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Update: I actually wrote out a super long post in drafts but got bored waiting to become a full member to be able to post my question so went ahead and bought and downloaded the Sims 4 on a MacBook now (I don’t really know how to use mac computers so it may take some getting used to!) so ignore some bits of this post!

But I’d still like to hear you guys thoughts and suggestions so I’ll post it anyway. Hi btw! 👋🏼

Hey everyone! New member here from England. I was wondering what game you guys think I might like, how I get it and was hoping to be pointed in the right direction.
    I haven’t played Sims for years, except for briefly trying Freeplay and Mobile. I was not a fan of either as I felt I didn’t have freedom to do much. Also I get irritated by ‘freemium’ games and things that want you to put real money on. (I got a bit addicted to this game Megapolis and spent way too much real money on it.)
    I was a big fan of the original game, the first ever Sims, when I was about 11 and had all the expansion packs on PC and also had Sims 2 which I loved. I think I only had the Pets expansion pack and then life got in the way and I slowly stopped playing!
    My favourite thing about the game is the family aspect. I like a lot of options and choices when Creating a Sim. I am not too phased with magic and supernatural stuff but I enjoyed the expansions such as hot date, and the holiday/vacation one.

I have also seen people posting about toddlers and teenagers not being in certain games which I thought was a real shame as I really enjoyed being able to play all life stages.

I don’t really know anything about custom content and that sort of thing and am not massively tech savvy! Also what sort of computer will I need to play it on? I don’t like mobile games (too small screen/ clumsy fingers / eye strain etc etc 😄) but would be happy to play it on tablet. I don’t think I would want to play it on PS4 or Xbox as I think I prefer it as a PC game. I have an old windows laptop i can use or my boyfriends MacBook.

Also I have heard you guys talking about stories and legacy , I have no idea what any of that means! Plz explain?

Anyways thanks for reading!! ❤️

I now you already got TS4, but TS3 is a lot better and you get more for your money, not only in terms of items, but gameplay as well.

For most everything, you can change not only their colors (thousands of colors, not just a small swatch of them), but you can also change their patterns and textures. You can even create and add your own patterns/textures - there is a free Create-A-Pattern for that. This lets you mix and match everything and can even make an item look totally different - making your decorating/design options even greater.

There is a ton of gameplay and all of it works for the most part. You only need a few mods to keep it working well (essentially two), unlike with TS4 where you need hundreds of them just to make it work. With TS3 most other mods are there just to add even more gameplay.

TS3 doesn't go on sale as much, but everything, basegame, expansion and stuff packs, go on sale reliably in summer and Christmas sales. There's also a Sims 3 Store with a lot of great stuff and you don't need to buy things at full price - the TS3 forum here keeps track of all the sales going on currently. There's also giveaways and gifting for them.

CCs for TS3 is also massive! There's a lot of great stuff out there - almost all of it are CAStable (allows you to change their colors and patterns/textures) so you get even greater options! The problem with TS4 is that items for it come in limited colors and patterns within the game. You need to change all that outside of the game which is tedious.

I'm recommending TS3 over TS4 because TS4 just isn't as good and is a money pit. You'll get more fun out of TS3 and you'll definitely get your money's worth!

• Tinkerbelle2Tinkerbelle2 Posts: 29 Member
    Thank you! Very useful and interesting to know. I’ll see how I get on with 4 and may try 3 in future!
  • StarDreamerStarDreamer Posts: 101 Member
    I enjoy both TS3 and 4, but I find myself going back to 4 more because of its ease of play, less loading times, and crisp graphics. It is more newbie friendly. But the sims in TS3 do feel more alive, so that's that. CAS and the build mode in 4 is most likely the best, but the gameplay is easy and can get a bit samey over time. They have both strengths and weaknesses. I do think the TS3 store is far more expensive than the TS4 stuff packs, though.