Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

6 years of Shallow Sims

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Magnezone wrote: »
    Well the latest demo / quick film shows Paralives being at least twice as better graphics than Sims 4... And I like Sims 4's art style.

We haven't seen the people yet. This is what I was getting at. The houses themselves are visually impressive thus far (when teased earlier on though, the graphical style was a little eh, but it was pre-alpha clearly), don't get me wrong. But whether or not they get the humans right is what will make or break turning some people over from The Sims to Paralives.

I don't care too much. I like cute sims, but I prefer good gameplay. It's why I play TS2. But others spend most of their sims time modeling and making sims. If Paralives gets that aspect wrong, those players won't have any interest.

To be fair they are still working on the people.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2020
    bixters wrote: »
    But, if they don't bother listening, I hope Paralives wipes them out of existence :p

The thing I worry about with paralives is it looks like it may be a better simulation game, but with its peculiar art style, everyone who stays in The Sims 4 to make hot sims and take cute modelling pictures aren't going to follow suit. The Sims franchise will never die because of that, unless a company makes what is essentially a modelling simulator which is way more customisable than The Sims 4 and actually well designed.

I like doing that and playing though - I use The Sims 4 for aesthetics and 2 and 3 to well, play the game.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea those who play TS4 'who make hot Sims' and avis etc don't follow suit and those looking for gameplay get a game by Paralives? Maybe the whole problem with TS4 it caters (markets) to players who don't care about gameplay and care more about oohing and ahing their avatars. Hair, clothes, busty chests, bigger calf muscles,etc. Afraid to even build a Sim with big ears, bigger nose, crooked mouth, you know normal features. Maybe they can keep TS4's pretty Sims and the rest of us go in search of gameplay and a producer who understands that and doesn't need nor want (market) that demographic.

TS$ Pretty Sim-empty head. TS$ Pretty world-empty gameplay. ka-ching
    TS$ oh loook another thinga ma jig!..decor only....does nothing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    But, if they don't bother listening, I hope Paralives wipes them out of existence :p

The thing I worry about with paralives is it looks like it may be a better simulation game, but with its peculiar art style, everyone who stays in The Sims 4 to make hot sims and take cute modelling pictures aren't going to follow suit. The Sims franchise will never die because of that, unless a company makes what is essentially a modelling simulator which is way more customisable than The Sims 4 and actually well designed.

I like doing that and playing though - I use The Sims 4 for aesthetics and 2 and 3 to well, play the game.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea those who play TS4 'who make hot Sims' and avis etc don't follow suit and those looking for gameplay get a game by Paralives? Maybe the whole problem with TS4 it caters (markets) to players who don't care about gameplay and care more about oohing and ahing their avatars. Hair, clothes, busty chests, bigger calf muscles,etc. Afraid to even build a Sim with big ears, bigger nose, crooked mouth, you know normal features. Maybe they can keep TS4's pretty Sims and the rest of us go in search of gameplay and a producer who understands that and doesn't need nor want (market) that demographic.

TS$ Pretty Sim-empty head. TS$ Pretty world-empty gameplay. ka-ching
    TS$ oh loook another thinga ma jig!..decor only....does nothing.

That is how I feel about Sims 4, more fluff and less on gameplay, more about the graphics and less about the gameplay, more about the items and less on gameplay. For me Sims 4 is not as reverent as EA/Maxis wants me to believe as Sims 4 path is already written and it is just not fun even with new packs.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    I can't get over the fact that EA/Maxis advertised The Sims 4 as the smart sims ever but then what we have got is the opposite! These are literally the dumbest sims ever!

@Renato10 - Lol, I love your profile pic!

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    @Renato10 I burst out laughing seeing your av. That's freakin' hilarious.

I still read these threads sometimes, but I don't comment any more ( until now because I loved that avvie ) because everything just falls on deaf ears, unless it manages to coincide with some kind of idea that EA had for the game, after which case it is then touted "See !? We listen to our fans!" .. ( but only when it suits us )
    I do have to agree, they ARE the dumbest sims of the series. It's really sad that in all these years, the game still doesn't measure up to its predecessors.
    A lot of people get enjoyment from the game, which is a good thing, but I still believe it is severely lacking, and, as said above, still seems just full of "fluff" with no real depth.
    I also agree that its probably great for taking pictures, and screenies for stories, but not much else in the gameplay department for those who want a Sims game with real "oomph" for lack of a better word, and players that look for that are forced to return to older versions.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited April 2020
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Well the latest demo / quick film shows Paralives being at least twice as better graphics than Sims 4... And I like Sims 4's art style.

We haven't seen the people yet. This is what I was getting at. The houses themselves are visually impressive thus far (when teased earlier on though, the graphical style was a little eh, but it was pre-alpha clearly), don't get me wrong. But whether or not they get the humans right is what will make or break turning some people over from The Sims to Paralives.

I don't care too much. I like cute sims, but I prefer good gameplay. It's why I play TS2. But others spend most of their sims time modeling and making sims. If Paralives gets that aspect wrong, those players won't have any interest.

Honestly I think it'll be a long time before we see people, and even longer until we see some equivalent to Live Mode.

What Alex Massé has made, is essentially a level editor.

I don't think it's wise for people to hype up Paralives as a Sims killer the way they do; it might be good, but let's see some gameplay first.

Apparently they are now about 5 or 6 people working on it. The same number of people, btw, that the team that makes Cities: Skylines has. And that blew Sim City into last decade.

Oh, well I stand corrected.
    It's DEFINITELY a Sims-killer in that case.

Six people! Whoa!

Wake me when they show some actual gameplay.

Wake me up when EA does the same for The Sims 4. :lol:

Yeah, Sims 4 has no pizzazz for me and I can't even play it no more and enjoy myself.

Yep, I hear you. I haven't had it installed for awhile now, and haven't purchased a pack since Seasons (which I picked up on sale, too). Personally, I'm ready for The Sims 5. I think TS4 has dragged on way too long. It's one thing to release a broken base game and fix it, but another to leave it broken and just pile fluff on top of it for 6 years.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    A pig, even with make-up and clothes is still a pig. In this case one that keeps oinking its way to the bank, so no incentive for fixing it.
    Yah, I don't like the none playable sims just dying out either. I wish we had option that let them get married, and have children.
  • PearLadyPearLady Posts: 207 Member
    If they even do half of the things mentioned in that one survey, it would be a great improvement. And, technically, toddlers have an "advantage" over all the rest of the sims in that he/she can talk about a favorite color. So, someone on the dev team was thinking of it. :hushed:
    Don't anger the fruit. It may make her toot (at you). ;)
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited April 2020
    I agree with everything, and I'd like to add to this 6 years of NO new aspirations for kids. They've been stuck with the exact same FOUR aspirations for SIX years. Over 30 DLC and who knows how many patches and not 1 has added a new aspiration for children. Just awful.

Yeah this has still got to be one of the worst of all the (justified) points in the OP.... Still grinds my gears every single time my sims become children. It's my most hated life state for exactly this reason.
    Stinalina wrote: »
    I have to agree with everything by the OP. Im really disappointed with the lack of gameplay in intersimlish interactions.

Im still quit new to Sims 4, as I tried to keep on to me Sims 3, but I play on Mac, and Sims 3 never really agreed with it. Eventually it became unbearable with all the crashes. So the only positive is that Sims 4 docent crash all the time.

It the monts I have been trying Sims 4 I keep hoping the next pack will add some interesting gameplay... but it doesen't really happen. Making me feel like an 🌺🌺🌺🌺 every time I buy a new pack!

A few points I would like to add:

- I really miss that the unplayed sims in town have a life of their own; get married, have kids, get in trouble - Anything! Instead my town just died out before I realised this doesn't happen autonomously. It so weird playing a world where everyone else just get old and die, without any new kids to populate the world. When I added the "fill empty houses" it didn't change much as it mostly populated with single sims, that never get in relationships. It's so boring!

I then started on rotation to populate my world with interesting sims, having babies and active lifes.... Well that was the idea. Because it really didn't play out that way. I soon realised that when you switch household, they forget their friends and second relatives, like in-lows and kids they are not directly related to. So every time I switch, I have to rebuild their relationship, cure sick pets and sims, clean up the house, send the kids to school and work on their grades, send the adults to work and make some progression in their carrier, as they haven't done anything else than getting sick(!!!) and forgetting sims, while I was "gone". It's so frustrating!
    I wish I could at least just pick up where I left them, instead of being even further behind every time I change household.

- About the traits; they are pointless and make no difference in the sims behaviour. For example: I had a sim that Hates Children, but she interact just the same as everyone else with her nephew and nieces as everyone else. She even take care of babies and kids's needs etc. When I play her, she does get a Tension reaction, but when she doesn't interact any different with kids than other sims, then it's useless.

- And the romance interactions. They are so bad! Always equal between two sims. It would be so much more interesting if they could be uneven, so that a sim could be in love with a sim that dont reciprocate that feeling. But when one sim flirts with a sim in a relationship, the sim in relationship get an angry spouse, for flirting, even when they are not the active flirter... It makes no sense.

- Even more annoying is that if a sim try to flirt with your active sim, and they want to reject them, they have to be "mean", why is there no interactions for sims to reject others, or correct others sims bad behaviour, without being "mean" themselves? - When a sim rudely greet you dog, smash you dollhouse or hit your big fluffy friend, you should be able to tell them off, without your sim being the mean one. - The same with greetings. Why can you only great in a very nice/flirty/funny way, or rude. (or polite), why not an indifferent or slightly uninteresting way... or something that isn't so black or white?

- What really got me was the University expansion. It has NO gameplay whatsoever! No useful interactions between the random other student. No classes to actively attend. The student activities at camp are over before you get there, and even when you get there in time, it's pointless to attend. Even weirder is, that every sim from other towns will show up all over uni, so you dont even have to try to make friends with the students. But since all they do is appearing to soon disappear again it's pretty hard to form any relations with them anyway. There isn't a shred of community! Completely useless expansion. The only thing I like is the clothes that came with it...

- I also hate that when a sim die, eventually they get completely deleted from their friends and even close relatives memory. It's so weird that they forget all about their mother etc. They only remains in the family tree, but not in the memory of the sims left behind. If they didn't have kids with a spouse that died, they have NO memory of them at all! Since the tombstones just disappear if your not with the sims when it dies, all memory of them just disappear. It's kind of sad that no-one remembers them...

And dont even get me started on the build mode!!!

But keeping it to gameplay; I really really wish they would work on improving the relationships and interactions, and not a stupid (sorry) knitting pack...

I never used mods, but im very tempted to try now, just to get some sort of useful gameplay. But that shouldn't really be necessary. I would prefer the game to be fun and interesting on it's own.

I honestly still prefer Sims 3. If only it would work on my Mac I would go back in a second.

The part that bothers me the most is that sim family members don't have memories of their relatives! I'm quite sentimental over my sims, so that's pretty upsetting!

Maybe you can get a new PC just for Sims 3 (and other PC games you can't get for your Mac)? PCs are getting cheaper and the newer models run Sims 3 well. I don't think you even really need a gaming PC - the game runs well on my 2014 computer with 4gb RAM and integrated Intel graphics so if you buy a newer one, they should run it even better.

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I can't get over the fact that EA/Maxis advertised The Sims 4 as the smart sims ever but then what we have got is the opposite! These are literally the dumbest sims ever!

This statement right here so true...LOL
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

@Renato10 - Lol, I love your profile pic!

HA! I had to go back and look at it...TOO FUNNY.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I have to agree with everything by the OP. Im really disappointed with the lack of gameplay in intersimlish interactions.

Im still quit new to Sims 4, as I tried to keep on to me Sims 3, but I play on Mac, and Sims 3 never really agreed with it. Eventually it became unbearable with all the crashes. So the only positive is that Sims 4 docent crash all the time.

It the monts I have been trying Sims 4 I keep hoping the next pack will add some interesting gameplay... but it doesen't really happen. Making me feel like an 🌺🌺🌺🌺 every time I buy a new pack!

- I really miss that the unplayed sims in town have a life of their own; get married, have kids, get in trouble - Anything! Instead my town just died out before I realised this doesn't happen autonomously. It so weird playing a world where everyone else just get old and die, without any new kids to populate the world. When I added the "fill empty houses" it didn't change much as it mostly populated with single sims, that never get in relationships. It's so boring!

I then started on rotation to populate my world with interesting sims, having babies and active lifes.... Well that was the idea. Because it really didn't play out that way. I soon realised that when you switch household, they forget their friends and second relatives, like in-lows and kids they are not directly related to. So every time I switch, I have to rebuild their relationship, cure sick pets and sims, clean up the house, send the kids to school and work on their grades, send the adults to work and make some progression in their carrier, as they haven't done anything else than getting sick(!!!) and forgetting sims, while I was "gone". It's so frustrating!
    I wish I could at least just pick up where I left them, instead of being even further behind every time I change household.

- About the traits; they are pointless and make no difference in the sims behaviour. For example: I had a sim that Hates Children, but she interact just the same as everyone else with her nephew and nieces as everyone else. She even take care of babies and kids's needs etc. When I play her, she does get a Tension reaction, but when she doesn't interact any different with kids than other sims, then it's useless.

- And the romance interactions. They are so bad! Always equal between two sims. It would be so much more interesting if they could be uneven, so that a sim could be in love with a sim that dont reciprocate that feeling. But when one sim flirts with a sim in a relationship, the sim in relationship get an angry spouse, for flirting, even when they are not the active flirter... It makes no sense.

- Even more annoying is that if a sim try to flirt with your active sim, and they want to reject them, they have to be "mean", why is there no interactions for sims to reject others, or correct others sims bad behaviour, without being "mean" themselves? - When a sim rudely greet you dog, smash you dollhouse or hit your big fluffy friend, you should be able to tell them off, without your sim being the mean one. - The same with greetings. Why can you only great in a very nice/flirty/funny way, or rude. (or polite), why not an indifferent or slightly uninteresting way... or something that isn't so black or white?

- What really got me was the University expansion. It has NO gameplay whatsoever! No useful interactions between the random other student. No classes to actively attend. The student activities at camp are over before you get there, and even when you get there in time, it's pointless to attend. Even weirder is, that every sim from other towns will show up all over uni, so you dont even have to try to make friends with the students. But since all they do is appearing to soon disappear again it's pretty hard to form any relations with them anyway. There isn't a shred of community! Completely useless expansion. The only thing I like is the clothes that came with it...

- I also hate that when a sim die, eventually they get completely deleted from their friends and even close relatives memory. It's so weird that they forget all about their mother etc. They only remains in the family tree, but not in the memory of the sims left behind. If they didn't have kids with a spouse that died, they have NO memory of them at all! Since the tombstones just disappear if your not with the sims when it dies, all memory of them just disappear. It's kind of sad that no-one remembers them...

But keeping it to gameplay; I really really wish they would work on improving the relationships and interactions, and not a stupid (sorry) knitting pack...

I never used mods, but im very tempted to try now, just to get some sort of useful gameplay. But that shouldn't really be necessary. I would prefer the game to be fun and interesting on it's own.

I honestly still prefer Sims 3. If only it would work on my Mac I would go back in a second.

The part that bothers me the most is that sim family members don't have memories of their relatives! I'm quite sentimental over my sims, so that's pretty upsetting!

Maybe you can get a new PC just for Sims 3 (and other PC games you can't get for your Mac)? PCs are getting cheaper and the newer models run Sims 3 well. I don't think you even really need a gaming PC - the game runs well on my 2014 computer with 4gb RAM and integrated Intel graphics so if you buy a newer one, they should run it even better.

Yeah, I'd sooner run bootcamp on Mac, try installing TS3 from discs instead of Origin, or just get a new PC to play it rather than put up with The Sims 4, honestly.
  • StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member

Yeah, I'd sooner run bootcamp on Mac, try installing TS3 from discs instead of Origin, or just get a new PC to play it rather than put up with The Sims 4, honestly.

@ClarianOfjoy A mother of 2 toddler and a child just died in my game (She froze to death when I wasn't playing her, from keep getting in the pool and staying outside in her swimwear. Everyone kept jumping in the pool. - Actually 3 sims died in a row to that event and I only convinced Grim to safe the two boys...). As a ghost she called the household I was playing and asked them to hang out, so I invited her to their household, to keep the children's mom around for them. I changed household a few sim-days and then back to the household of her kids. But they had already erased her from their memory. Her husband as well. So I visited her household, but she's been culled! Completely gone, and not remembered by any of her loved ones! It's just wrong!

Thanks for your advice, both. I have been considering the options, but I just hate PC! - And I play in my livingroom so I would also have to look at it all the time ;)
    I used to play from disc but new Macs can't take them. Every solution means new equipment that I really dont want to have to buy... I guess I should have done that instead of buying Sims 4, but I never expected it to be this bad! Eventually I guess I have to give in if I wanna keep playing...
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Can we talk about how they still have not added dancing face to face, slow dancing and no other couple activities to this game?? Adding two person boats in IL could have been a great addition. It is like couples cannot even be couples outside of woohooing in every bush, tree, shower, hot tub etc. They make sure to give us a new woohoo location each pack...SMH but no other couple activities. They cannot even skate together ugh.

I do not why there so obsessed with the woo hop.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2020
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Can we talk about how they still have not added dancing face to face, slow dancing and no other couple activities to this game?? Adding two person boats in IL could have been a great addition. It is like couples cannot even be couples outside of woohooing in every bush, tree, shower, hot tub etc. They make sure to give us a new woohoo location each pack...SMH but no other couple activities. They cannot even skate together ugh.

I do not why there so obsessed with the woo hop.
    Even the woohoo is shallow and doesn't always show the animation. It is seriously like social distance safe woohoo. I have never seen a less romantic woohoo as I have in the Sims 4 with all of the games. It is like 1950s separate bed romance.

I love this article, shows how far away Sims woohoo away from each other now. Sims 4 has the safest bed woohoo:
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/woohooing-in-the-sims-is-actually-horrifying/
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • origionalmeheheorigionalmehehe Posts: 12 New Member
    I haven't tried that particular feature yet but it looks absolutely gorgeous! I am currently playing Sims 3 showtime so add me for free gifts if you wish @ Origionalmehehe
  • DragonCat195DragonCat195 Posts: 4 New Member
    For all Maxis care, Sims can remain shallow at the very end of TS4 lifespan. From how I see it, it's the least of their concern and priority to make the necessary changes to Sims, which is quite ironic for the game titled under the pixelated people name. 3 years, 5 years, 6 or 7 years: we shouldn't even be addressing the issue over the game's core component.

@ClarianOfjoy A mother of 2 toddler and a child just died in my game (She froze to death when I wasn't playing her, from keep getting in the pool and staying outside in her swimwear. Everyone kept jumping in the pool. - Actually 3 sims died in a row to that event and I only convinced Grim to safe the two boys...). As a ghost she called the household I was playing and asked them to hang out, so I invited her to their household, to keep the children's mom around for them. I changed household a few sim-days and then back to the household of her kids. But they had already erased her from their memory. Her husband as well. So I visited her household, but she's been culled! Completely gone, and not remembered by any of her loved ones! It's just wrong!

Thanks for your advice, both. I have been considering the options, but I just hate PC! - And I play in my livingroom so I would also have to look at it all the time ;)
    I used to play from disc but new Macs can't take them. Every solution means new equipment that I really dont want to have to buy... I guess I should have done that instead of buying Sims 4, but I never expected it to be this bad! Eventually I guess I have to give in if I wanna keep playing...

You can try getting a PC laptop - the newer models are even better than my old computer. You can fold it up and put it away so you don't have to look at it, lol!

• StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member

You can try getting a PC laptop - the newer models are even better than my old computer. You can fold it up and put it away so you don't have to look at it, lol!

True :D I didn't consider a laptop. It's definitely a good plan! Next time I have a few thousands (in my currency) to spare, I should do that. - I mean its not like im going to spend any money traveling any time soon...!

BTW have you all taken the survey? It actually feels like they listened to us... Well at least it gave me some hope.
    If they incorporate those themes - Proper! - It could have potential. I just hope it get implemented with real depth that really makes a difference in the interactions and reactions. Not in a shallow edition... And make it fast! :D (A girl can dream...)
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Op you make some huge points here. S4 is the same as it was on release, just with more 'stuff'
    I cannot wait for Paralives.. or at least when they show us the parapeople.. or whatever they are going to be called.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3