Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• Sharebear67Sharebear67 Posts: 26 Member
    Hey @RockyMightSim I wanted to say that @EuphorialQueen has a great idea. I still use the styled rooms on the building mode page. I get ideas on how to decorate my rooms with certain styles or to not clutter my rooms so much.
  • captainjoshua77captainjoshua77 Posts: 4 New Member
    I have tip for a really well paying job!
    Just become a Freelancer and choose the Programmer side, It pays really well later on. :)
  • Daisyy01Daisyy01 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I’m new to sims 4 on Mac. I created a second household last night, I was certain that I had saved my original one before I did and when I had made my second household I could interact with my first one straight away. However this morning I have gone into it and I can see my first household through my second but when I go onto my first sim I can’t see the second household I made, at all. What do I do?
  • Sharebear67Sharebear67 Posts: 26 Member
    @captainjoshua77 I didn't know that. I usually stick to the artist freelancer when I so that. I will definately have to try that out.
  • BlackjackWidowBlackjackWidow Posts: 23 Member
    > @Daisyy01 said:
    > Hi, I’m new to sims 4 on Mac. I created a second household last night, I was certain that I had saved my original one before I did and when I had made my second household I could interact with my first one straight away. However this morning I have gone into it and I can see my first household through my second but when I go onto my first sim I can’t see the second household I made, at all. What do I do?

@Daisyy01 - It sounds like you might have made a new save / game when you started the second household. (You probably did a "Save As" and then added the new household?) At the main menu, choose the "Load" button and check if there are 2 games. One is probably the one with only the first household and the other would be the one where you added the second household.

I like to make a backup before I add new households or anything else "major", just in case. Then you can go back to the way it was before you made the change. Just know that you don't NEED separate games for every household. If you want to play all of your households in one game, you must save the game that way.

"Save" = saving the game you're in now, continuing at the point you saved
    "Save As" = creates a new saved copy of the game and continues playing the NEW game at the point you saved it. (This leaves the first save you started with at the last point you saved it.)
  • pherenikapherenika Posts: 5 New Member
    Take your time and don't rush it. If you get too obsessed with skill meters and maxing out every moment you will lose the magic of just letting things happen. The best gameplay I've had is when I've let things happen organically, meeting new Sims or finding my Sim in unexpected situations.
    There's also so much content that doesn't meet the eye, so let yourself explore your surroundings and you'll be surprised of what you can find.

(Also, after for playing for YEARS I was yesterday years old when I learnt you could hold the alt-button in build mode. If you want to go into building, there are some seriously useful features especially in build mode that isn't apparent.)
  • LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    been playing S4 for a while just bought Island living, missed mermaids, but what the heck is with random sims walking into your house for water if you have the dock ladder (i like to use arch as door in back of house) noticed it also happens in willow creek without the arch as door. I don't look front door cause if you invite a sim over they can't come in even if you invite them. I hate rudeness irl drives me nuts in Sims too
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    edited April 2020
    What I wish I knew and still wish it, is how to goshdarn bild houses. Like, I just can't wrap my head around it. I've seen all the youtube videos and downloaded and edited so many lots from the gallery, but I just can't build! Maybe it's just not for me.,I'll just have to stick to live mode and let others build houses for me :'(

took me a while to get it right most of my stuff has cc simple designs hate all the clutter and useless stuff crammed into on room by some designers. I don't mind if you "play" with one of my designs as long as you give me credit if you up load it (FallenAngel1326 on gallery) remember to click enable cc on side bar or a lot of the design will be hidden
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    When you save your creations, you have the choice of saving to your own private library or to the gallery. Both of the buttons look similar, so be sure you're making the choice you mean to make.

The entire house is customizable, even the roof. You can create basement levels too.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • LosieeeLosieee Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Mrosarro said:
    > I have a photo studio built on retail lot does anyone know how to get my photog sim moved in?

If you want a sim to "move in" on a lot you need to change it to residential lot!
  • Barney111Barney111 Posts: 20 Member
    I play the sims4, having the get to work pack i find the doctor career very difficult to do compared to the other one! I spend most the day trying to just diagnose 1 person that i then struggle to get anything else done! Anyone else had this problem and found a way past it?
  • JoeyfatJoeyfat Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello! I am a vetern "offline" sims player and have recently starting familarizing myself with Sim4 and thought it might be fun participate in more of the community around this game. What is a good Sims4 beginner friendly challenge to start with?
  • QU33N31QU33N31 Posts: 5 New Member
    New member and the thing I find most difficult is building houses. Ughh I stink at building anything that doesn't look like a cardboard box left out in the rain! hehehe. Ive been playing since TS1 and it has made me realize I just wasn't meant to be an architect LOL! I do however VERY much enjoy the gallery builds. I think my main issue with building is the proper things to make them look like real house on the outside. Like some speed build videos I've watched online, they end up building little blocks inside the house for certain wall placement for the right angle of a roof etc.. ughh so confusing LOL.
  • Chöschi21Chöschi21 Posts: 1 New Member
    thanks
  • TockityTockity Posts: 2 New Member
    Picking up this game for the first time ever and boy oh boy.. does this rabbit hole even have a bottom? Y'all creative geniuses seem to be able to do just about anything, so here are a couple of things I'm having issues with:

If I wanted to create a square, hipped roof with each pair of opposite panels changed to a different roofing type, how would I go about doing that?

How do I make the game recognize an open/unwalled room as a room?

In buy mode, can I buy items and send them directly to a sim's inventory? If I just wanted to get some seeds, do I actually have to place them on the ground in buy mode then pick them up with a sim?

Do I only gain/lose friendship/love when I start a conversation? Is anything changing (besides Needs) if I start a conversation and let them chat, or do I need to keep choosing different topics to actually improve relationships?

Is there a way to hide mirrors (and other wall attachments?) when the wall they're attached to is hidden?

Thanks y'all.
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited April 2020
    @Tockity Great questions, and I know there's a lot to learn, but you'll get the hang of it! I'm going to include some links to information that I've found helpful. I'm not fully understanding your question/description about the roofing, but perhaps if you added an illustration, screenshot, or something along that line it would help me understand?

Roofing:
    ♦ I found this to be a helpful video on various roofing styles/options: https://youtu.be/d3aNEDX5tTs
    ♦ A nice Carls Guide on building roofs: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/roofs.php
    ♦ Another article on roofing options: https://simsvip.com/2017/11/11/tutorial-using-new-roof-styles-sims-4/

Rooms:
    Getting the game to see an area as a room can be done usually by re-tracing the area/room, then clicking the side of the area/room to confirm that the game is now seeing it as a room. Please see this video:
    https://youtu.be/cfHo3vsOMcM

Inventory: Not all items can be added to/stored in inventory. Some type of items can be added to Personal Inventory. More types of items can be added to Household Inventory. Certain items can be added to either. It all depends on the item:
    Personal Inventory: Many items can be stored in the sim's personal inventory by dragging the item to the small picture of the sim at the bottom left of the screen, dragging the item to the sim on the screen, or dragging it to the small 'personal inventory' icon on the bottom right of the screen (or if you click the icon it will open a pop-up and you can drag them into the open area):
    pNZIqX3.png
    Household Inventory: Many items can be stored in the household inventory by entering build mode and selecting the item with a the select/hand and hitting the 'delete' key, or by clicking the small box at the bottom left of the screen, then dragging the item to the area in the pop-up:
    fRZFKxo.png
    ♦ Some items cannot be added to either inventory.

Relationships: As long as the sims are chatting autonomously or by direction their relationship should be increasing. If you want to control it you can choose things like romantic interactions which increase or decrease the romance bar depending on how intense the interaction is and how well it's received. Same thing goes with the regular relationship bar - some interactions will be poorly received and decrease the relationship (you will see a red "-" sign if this is happening, and a green "+" sign if it is positive). If it gets negative enough you can fight them or 'declare enemy'!

Tip: Multitasking for Social: Sims will increase in social and relationship while chatting, and there are some very handy ways to multi-task and cover this need. For example:
    ♦ TV: You can have a sim sit on a couch/loveseat next to another sim while they are eating. You can then turn on the TV and have them watch the Cooking Channel. Doing this will allow them to be comfortable (if the couch is comfortable) and relieve stress, they will increase their food/hunger bar, they will chat with the other sim and increase their social bar, they will watch the show and increase their fun plus learn cooking so increase their cooking skill.
    ♦ I do the same trick by putting two treadmills side-by-side, and sometimes putting a wall-mounted TV in front of them on the wall.

On the wall items showing when the wall is hidden/down... yes and no. I find that some items will be invisible when the wall is down and some will not. It depends on the item. It also sometimes depends on if I increased or decreased the item's size &/or placed the item with MOO (Move Objects On) enabled. Some debug items also will not disappear. Since you are new to the game these are probably non-issues, but you can always test by putting the wall down after placing to see if the item remains. And just for fun, I could mention that sometimes an item messes with me - it shows when the wall is down after I place it, but if I save and leave the lot and re-enter, it then disappears with the wall down. Go figure.

I hope this helps some. If you have more questions about the roofing you're welcome to contact me about it and I can address that more specifically: https://sherigr.com/contact/
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    Turn aging off. That way you can relax and play slowly, while learning the game.
    Don’t use high chairs for Toddlers. They can help themselves if there is food on the counter or table.
    Use cheats, especially Free Real Estate.
    Check out Carl’s Sims 4 site. Super helpful.
    Happy Simming!
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    For building, I suggest just keep modifying an existing house your sims already live in. Slowly figure out one thing at a time instead of trying to start from scratch and "know most everything". That's how I started with building. And although doing a heck of alot of building since, I still learn new things. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SIMGURUTARAHSIMGURUTARAH Posts: 4 New Member
    wow this discussion is exactly what i should have been looking at a few days back! i literally have owned every sims game since numero uno, and now years later and being at home due to the virus i decided to use my free time wisely to go spend a few hundred on a laptop and buy all the packs (luckily my husband is a lawyer and paid for it or id be screwed) i must say this.. i literally have been on like a 8 day binge playing sims its so unhealthy lmao.. but anyways, i see while looking through the gallery that people are doing shell challenges and other storylines with characters and stuff like that, can anyone fill me in about those... aka possibly recommend some good ones to do. i like that girl @lilsimsie page. she has some really cool builds and stuff, i think i probably ended up building a whole world with some of her shared content lol. and then another person whos builds blow me away is @kreatora man that kid can build. but anyways! hello to everyone on the forum! if anyone needs a newfriend my name is leanteamqueen on my sims game! and hope to meet some people from the community soon!
  • BobbiliciousBobbilicious Posts: 25 Member
    A piece of advice to our new Simmers: Have patience. :P
    This game will teach you patience, that I am sure of, but you will need patience to go through loading households, loading CAS, etc.

And save your game!! I personally save my game every sim day and if something special has happened. To decrease the change of corrupting your save file; use "save as" instead of "save".
    I have a couple of saves of the same households that looks like this:
    "Household family name, week3,day1"
    "Household family name, week3,day2"
    "Household family name, week3,day3"

I generally keep two or three saves of the household to use as a backup just in case the latest one does get corrupted.
  • BlackjackWidowBlackjackWidow Posts: 23 Member
    > @Joeyfat said:
    > Hello! I am a vetern "offline" sims player and have recently starting familarizing myself with Sim4 and thought it might be fun participate in more of the community around this game. What is a good Sims4 beginner friendly challenge to start with?

Hey there @Joeyfat - I'm a big fan of challenges & offline play, too. There is a great list here on the forum. Give it a read and see what speaks to you https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/906643/sims-4-challenge-list-updated-october-16th-2019/p1

I think one of the best for starting players is Euphorial Queen's Rosebud challenge https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/792094/rosebud-challenge-can-you-become-a-sim-millionaire-euphorialqueen-update-29jan2020/p1 I find it challenging, but not SO challenging that you feel overwhelmed.
  • HecqHecq Posts: 35 Member
    - My advice is to accustom yourself not to use cheats (especially for money). Overcoming life's difficulties with your character, empathizing and rejoicing with him, achieving success - this is the most expensive thing in this game.

- Create a dynasty at least once ... an amazing experience!
  • misstiggermisstigger Posts: 15 Member
    One of my tips that I've learnt over the last few months is try not to use cheats all the time I have recently found it more fun to play with my sims having to work for their money rather than relying on motherlode all the time (Unless I'm starting a certain type of gameplay where I want them to start in a decent house such as my super sim challenge)

Move objects on is great to be able to have a lot more freedom in placing objects although I am still learning a lot about this feature and do get quite frustrated with it myself but I have found that I am able to make my builds look so much more lived in once I started using it.
  • misstiggermisstigger Posts: 15 Member
    Youtube is a fantastic resource when it comes to finding out different tips on building or even if you get bored with your current style of game play. There are so many different sim youtubers out there with some great content about building, challenges and showing off different packs.

Before buying any packs make sure that you know at least a little bit about it. Read the info that comes out with it, check out different videos showing off the content and make sure it is something that you would enjoy before spending money on it.

Wait to buy packs until they go on sale. There is always a sale on with the packs at times going for 50% off. There is no need to splurge so you can have the latest pack straight away.
  • jmacsimmerjmacsimmer Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi! I'm new here in the forum, but I've been playing The Sims for years already. Also, I am planning to create a streaming channel, any advice on how I will start? Thank you! Any comment will be much appreciated.