The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kaylynn Langerak theories?

MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
I was debating whether or not to put this on TS2 board or TS3 but I feel more people here would care about maxis pre-mades.

I don't see many people discuss this, but Kaylynn Langerak, Pleasantview and general default maid, reappeared in The Sims 3. She is a child in Sunset Valley, where Michael Bachelor is a teen (dead of old age at the start of TS2) and Mortimer Goth is also a child, whereas in The Sims 2, she is an adult near the start of her life cycle.

I have 4 theories for this:

1. The Sims 3 Kaylynn is not The Sims 2 Kaylynn. She is a relative or just happens to have the same name. I particularly like a sub-theory of this that I read on the wiki once. That Parker, Kaylynn's brother, named his daughter after his sister. And that way the ages would check out too.

2. Time travel. I mean Don travelled back to Riverview. What stops that happening to the Langerak family?

3. Kaylynn drank elixir of life. And I mean, a lot of it.

4. Maxis didnt care about the discrepancies in age and just wanted to make a nod at The Sims 2. Most likely theory, but that's no fun, is it?

So what do you think happened to Kaylynn between the events of The Sims 2 and The Sims 3?
My blog full of things that never get finished!
XVlamuQ.png
Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I think as they said they couldn't remember the stories and backgrounds so therefore they didn't give it a whole lot of thought.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited April 2020
    They simply screwed up and that's all. They also screwed-up the Capp household (where is Cordelia?). Maybe because 'only 10% of the players care about lore, so we put zero effort into that'
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited April 2020
    The Sims 3 is supposed to be a prequel to Sims 2. A bit of a poor decision by EA, but they're known for that kind of thing. It's kind of ridiculous since TS2 is apparently supposed to be about 50 years after Sims 3, which would make Kaylynn somewhere around about ... 60+ if she were the real thing?

I do wish they had tried to keep to a much better timeline than what they did. But they seem to be of the idea that whatever they can't explain away, they just throw into an alternate timeline or universe and call everything good to go.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    Guys, did you even read theory 4? I said it was likely Maxis/EA didn't care (or screwed up as you worded it). But I also said thats not fun, even if it's likely the reality of things. I like the idea of putting a spin on it to make it seem not like a "mistake".
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
    edited April 2020
    Fair point! How about... the secret plants of aunt Zelda's secret garden's scent was so strong it put her to sleep for 30 years when she tried to clean it; 30 years during which she dreamt of rainbows, unicorns, and unicorns galloping on rainbows o:)

Now E.A... Where is Cordelia? :/
  • DevalaousDevalaous Posts: 1,286 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    The Sims 3 is supposed to be a prequel to Sims 2. A bit of a poor decision by EA, but they're known for that kind of thing. It's kind of ridiculous since TS2 is apparently supposed to be about 50 years after Sims 3, which would make Kaylynn somewhere around about ... 60+ if she were the real thing?

I do wish they had tried to keep to a much better timeline than what they did. But they seem to be of the idea that whatever they can't explain away, they just throw into an alternate timeline or universe and call everything good to go.

Kaylynn doesnt even look remotely attractive or like her TS2 self when aged up, but this isnt unique to her, Bella also looks a bit weird aged up, as does Gunther and Michael. The only returning character from 2 that doesnt look weird compared to the Sims 2 version, is Mortimer, who looks real good as both adult (TS1 Mortimer) and elder (TS2 Mortimer). Kaylynn has the Skip Broke problem too, he too appears too early in Sims 3. I think both of these two, if following Sims 3 rules, found and used elixirs, or wish for a long life from a Genie. But generally occult stuff like that isnt too canon in the stories right? (Although it IS canon that Mortimer invented the Elixir of Life from 2)
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    They simply screwed up and that's all. They also screwed-up the Capp household (where is Cordelia?). Maybe because 'only 10% of the players care about lore, so we put zero effort into that'

Cordelia needs to be born in-game; Contessa starts off pregnant with Kent, although his gender wasnt set; he can be born female (Kentessa? XD) or as twins. Cordelia would be conceived after the point that Roaring Heights starts with. The Monty family has a similar situation with Claudio; he starts off as an unborn baby, and isnt flagged as male only, and has to be named Claudio manually.

The Capp/Monty situation gets even more bizarre if you try to link up both families to their Veronaville origins; The Capps and Montys have never met in 3, while in 2, the rivalry started off rather early, although the memories in Veronaville are known to be mixed up I guess. the family album DOES show Patrizio arguing with Consort while hes balding.. The Montys are all about a long line of culinary cooks, while the Capps are a line of business people, yet in Sims 3, Patrizio is a doctor, while Isabella is a journalist. Even in Sims 2 PS2, the Montys are present, and Isabella is established as a good cook. Their parents are also all elders, while in Sims 2, they died as adults.
    Rebuilding Sims 2 inside Sims 3 one lot and sim at a time.

See my Sims 3 studio for latest progress.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited April 2020
    Magnezone wrote: »
    Guys, did you even read theory 4? I said it was likely Maxis/EA didn't care (or screwed up as you worded it). But I also said thats not fun, even if it's likely the reality of things. I like the idea of putting a spin on it to make it seem not like a "mistake".

You also asked for our opinions. :mrgreen:

I think EA tried to bring in TS2 players who weren't happy with the looks and game play idea. So, that's my opinion.
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
    I wish we got ALL the original premade TS2 families in Sims 3, we got all three from Veronaville, everyone but the Oldies from Pleasantview, and quite noticeably missed out on the Grunt family from Strangetown, along with the Smiths (understandable, we would have only gotten the Smiths if Seasons shipped with a world). The Loner, Loste and Salamis families from Strangetown were also entirely absent.

Noone from the extra three neighbourhoods or any of the subhoods showed up, aside from a single Tricou as an easter egg.

Would have also been interesting if the Sims 1 families that didnt show up in 2 showed up in 3, but I think EA entirely forgot all about Sims 1 by then :p (Although some people insist that Ruby Broke is Ruby Hatfield from the official extra downloadable sims for Sims 1)

Devalaous wrote: »
    I wish we got ALL the original premade TS2 families in Sims 3, we got all three from Veronaville, everyone but the Oldies from Pleasantview, and quite noticeably missed out on the Grunt family from Strangetown, along with the Smiths (understandable, we would have only gotten the Smiths if Seasons shipped with a world). The Loner, Loste and Salamis families from Strangetown were also entirely absent.
    The Smiths are just an offshoot of the Curious' though, unless you mean the actual Birth Queens and Pollination Technicians and drones and whatnot in Poll Tech 9's family tree, which are meant to be not around sims living in a normal world anyway. You'd have had to make an entire alien world for that to work.

Kristen Loste and Ajay Loner have no real close relationships or stories with any of the rest of Strangetown at the start so it's very easy to glance over them. Especially Ajay, though they kind of screwed over that character with his last name to be fair.
    XVlamuQ.png
    Well, we could have gotten a young PT9 and Jenny with a child or toddler Johnny, in a 'eternal holiday' situation like with the Capps, Burbs and Pleasants, as part of a theoretical world designed to really go nuts with the seasonal lot markers. This world could also have had Glabe Curious and the Curious-Smith twins, for a good mix of full aliens and partial aliens.

The Loste and Loner families are blank slates, yes, but not every family in Sims 3 worlds are interesting. Wouldn't have been opposed to a child/toddler Kristen and Ajay with their parents somewhere, as there's no real information on their families. Afterall, Loki Beaker in Aurora Skies is just 'there', the focus was on his parents. Ideally Aurora skies would have had the Beaker, Salamis, Grunt and Curious families, as they all existed in one grassy non-desert town at one point. Weird that they all moved out to somewhere so remote, and found each other again, kicking up old rivalries. The Curious family in Twinbrook is just TOO far back to be the only Curious family rep in 3, would have liked to have seen Glarn alive and well, as hes quite a remarkable ancestor, with the highest child count in the series and a life full of drama, with his impregnation and divorce of Glabe. He also had the potential to introduce a brother or sister that explains where Sinjin Balani fits into the family tree; hes stated to directly be a cousin of Lazlo's, and this requires Glarn to have a sibling that we'd never heard about prior. I made an 'Eva Curious' (Pun!) to link Sinjin to the Curious siblings in my Sims 2 remakes recently, but it just doesnt feel right being 'fanon', I prefer official stuff only.

Generally I think we can agree though that the Oldies, Singles and Loner families were forgotten about due to being Family Bin content; EA remade all the Strangetown premades EXCEPT for the Singles and Loner family for Sims 4. Burbs got a pass, due to being from Sims 1, at least.

Devalaous wrote: »
    Curious family in Twinbrook is just TOO far back to be the only Curious family rep in 3, would have liked to have seen Glarn alive and well, as hes quite a remarkable ancestor, with the highest child count in the series and a life full of drama, with his impregnation and divorce of Glabe. He also had the potential to introduce a brother or sister that explains where Sinjin Balani fits into the family tree; hes stated to directly be a cousin of Lazlo's, and this requires Glarn to have a sibling that we'd never heard about prior. I made an 'Eva Curious' (Pun!) to link Sinjin to the Curious siblings in my Sims 2 remakes recently, but it just doesnt feel right being 'fanon', I prefer official stuff only.
    To be honest I don't even know how Twinbrook makes any sense. The only returning family there, correct me if I'm wrong, is the Curious family. But given Notzo is a toddler, it would have to be set at the very least 100 years before The Sims 2 to make any chronological sense, given Glarn's not even close to being born at the start of TS3 but has probably spent about a decade six feet under at the beginning of TS2. And Twinbrook certainly doesn't look like a town set before the 50s, nevermind earlier. Maybe tech and chronology is different in The Sims world. Shrug. Lol.
    XVlamuQ.png
    edited April 2020
    Treat each neighbourhood separately, in it's own era.

Like if all was canon, then Sunset Valley happens long before Sunlit Tides, which is probbaly the closest to the TS2 Pleasantview era.
    Then we have this 1920/40's setup leading to Veronaville 30 years or so later, making Veronaville happen earlier than the other two.
    And well then pheraps, Strangetown happens in the future of these two, IF Twinbrook is set in the same time as Sunset Valley.

This also implies that Midnight Hollow would happen in the future of both Pleasantview and Veronaville. And that Bluewater is drifting through time and space.
    Post edited by Dijktafone on
    Treat each neighbourhood separately, in it's own era.

Like if all was canon, then Sunset Valley happens long before Sunlit Tides, which is probbaly the closest to the TS2 Pleasantview era.
    Then we have this 1920/40's setup leading to Veronaville 30 years or so later, making Veronaville happen earlier than the other two.
    And well then pheraps, Strangetown happens in the future of these two, IF Twinbrook is set in the same time as Sunset Valley.

This also implies that Midnight Hollow would happen in the future of both Pleasantview and Veronaville. And that Bluewater is drifting through time and space.

Its more the architecture and the town itself that throws me off. I'd buy treating it as its own neighborhood in its own timeline, but I don't buy it being super old despite the at least 100 year difference in time between the events of Twinbrook and Strangetown. This would make Strangetown based in the future as you said. Which then makes Bella Goth being "sent there", if that's the theory you want to go with, even more *cough* Strange.
    XVlamuQ.png
    Why strange? Again if we consider the whole to be canon, then Don has been sent in the past, most likely by the same person who orchestrated Bella's abduction. This way, by sending Bella in the future, THAT person, (whose name starts with a D.), makes sure that both never meet, ensuring Don dies of old age BEFORE Bella reappears, and so nobody can confirm the other's testimony. This also makes them both out of reach of Mortimer, so her little secret is safe. We can suspect Alien tech as the time traveling factor, and the item, a time-traveling wormhole generator.

Of course, you're right for architecture (to which we can add they have the very same level of tech, baring Roaring heights and Lunar lakes), but then, if we take it into account, we can't have fun throwing wild conspiracy theories :)
    Why strange? Again if we consider the whole to be canon, then Don has been sent in the past, most likely by the same person who orchestrated Bella's abduction. This way, by sending Bella in the future, THAT person, (whose name starts with a D.), makes sure that both never meet, ensuring Don dies of old age BEFORE Bella reappears, and so nobody can confirm the other's testimony. This also makes them both out of reach of Mortimer, so her little secret is safe. We can suspect Alien tech as the time traveling factor, and the item, a time-traveling wormhole generator.

I meant strange as in even more, well, weird than her just getting abducted and sent there is. And I was making a bad joke about her being in Strangetown lol.

That being said a lot of people don't believe thats the real Bella. I've read a whole lot of theories about it and I don't personally like any theory that assumes Strangetown Bella is the real Bella, mostly because they're kind of dull and not that imaginative.

As for Dina being responsible, she has the most motive for sure, and she is the most likely suspect but...

A lowkey and underappreciated theory I've read is that is it was Mortimers doing, as their marriage was failing because Bella is a Romance sim. Mortimer is a knowledge sim, and they always have wishes for people they know to meet aliens anyway, and as of Freetime they can even summon aliens. He wanted to get her out of the picture for a new younger woman who (hopefully) won't cheat on him. But he's got a big storm coming.

Mortimer probably isn't the type for this but it's certainly a spicy theory, lol.

Another interesting thing to add to the Don travelling back in time is that Alexander Goth wrote Murder in Pleasantview from the base game of The Sims 3. Which begs MANY questions of what happened after The Sims 2, lol, including if said book is non-fictional.
    XVlamuQ.png
    Ho ho Mortimer!

Here's one Non-Theory: Bella never really loved him, she married him for his money. The source being Ts2 PSP, a source I can confirm, as she revealed it in my most recent run on it.

And so, the fun fact would be, following your theory, that we would see Mortimer, in the family pictures, actually waiting for Aliens to come, not Bella to come back. That's so good! Missleading the audience like that, that would be genius!

Strangetown Bella has been confirmed by the devs to be the real one. We can't go past that one unfortunately :(
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120605015012/http://thesims2.ea.com/community/bella_interview.php

Alex: HOW could he write a book who has been sold like 30 years before he was even born?
    So we can theorise that it is not the same person, and that his parents red the book as kids, and liked it enough to consider calling one of their kids the same.
    OR, this could be a warning from the future, BUT, Alex would therefore jeopardize his own existence. Did things became so horrible he resorted to that?

Dina: Here's a little detail that always buged me for some reason. The little pink heart with Don. One thing we know about her is that she is a loyal spouse (bad memory of Michael's death), and also that she loves Mortimer (red hearts never lie). She probably also is very aware that her sister Loves Don... so why would she accept Don's flirts?
    Well what if she was the one flirting with Don just enough so she can guarantee his cooperation?
    Let's also take into consideration that those two (Dina and Don) had insider informations on the Goth household. Don through Cassandra, and Dina through Michael.
    Also, the telescope used by Bella isn't the right one. So this is where knowing aliens comes into play, and asking them to target the lady in red using the wrong type of telescope on a precise lot, at a precise time.
    Then she gets rid of Don who knows too much, and can finish Mortimer's days in his house, with all that money!

The only theory we can rule out is a co-conspiracy between Mortimer and Dina... or can we?
    What if she brought the welcome wagon cake for OTHER neighbours to see her introduce herself, and misleading them to think Mortimer and her never ever met before?

That would be the finishing touch on a mastermind conspiracy, orchestrated by a tired husband and a money hungry widow!
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Through my calculations, Kaylynn should've the age she had in Sunset Valley during Sims 1, not SIms 3 SV. I think they just didn't thought about it too much... Like, I've made some calcualtions to know exaclty how long the "25 years" between Sims 3/1 and between Sims 2/1 was, and they weren't the same amount of days.
    Even Sims 2 had some discrepancies, like... In Sims 1 Michael Bachelor totally looks like he's a young adult fresh out of college, but in SIms 2/3 he's older than Bella. Honestly, I don't mind those minor mistakes, what I don't like is the mess they made in SIms 4. Don't get me wrong, I like SIms 4 premades, but they would be more interesting if they lived among classic premade families and had cohesive storylines/backstories/relationships.
    edited April 2020
    Ho ho Mortimer!

Here's one Non-Theory: Bella never really loved him, she married him for his money. The source being Ts2 PSP, a source I can confirm, as she revealed it in my most recent run on it.

And so, the fun fact would be, following your theory, that we would see Mortimer, in the family pictures, actually waiting for Aliens to come, not Bella to come back. That's so good! Missleading the audience like that, that would be genius!

Strangetown Bella has been confirmed by the devs to be the real one. We can't go past that one unfortunately :(
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120605015012/http://thesims2.ea.com/community/bella_interview.php

Whats odd about Sims 2 PSP's Bella saying that, is that in that official interview she says the opposite and that she really DOES love him. Im guessing her memories are still muddy in TS2 PSP's incarnation (or its just a different dev team mucking it up; theres a few oddities in that game where it looks like people 'forgot' details: The Curious brothers are often implied to not be brothers, Buck Grunt and all the family bin people were forgotten about, Johnny Smith is regarded as a teenager still, and his romance with Ophelia was totally forgotten)

Sims 2 on the GBA I think it is, shows Bella back with her family, implying she did get home eventually, but on the other hand it could also be before her abduction. Her ultimate fate is to end up on Lunar Lakes somehow; given the prevalence of time travel in Sims 3 (Don Lothario in Riverview, the Ambitions time machine going to the past AND future, and the entire expansion pack about travelling to the future), it wouldnt surprise me if she ended up in the future, then on the ship that went to Lunar Lakes. And yeah, devs confirmed that Bella is real too >_>

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member
    Just a wild theory here.

Maybe at one point in the timeline it became impossible for sims who are not a part of currently active household to age and Kaylynn took advantage of the opportunity and became a NPC, thus not being able to age ever?
  • ZeiZei Posts: 254 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think as they said they couldn't remember the stories and backgrounds so therefore they didn't give it a whole lot of thought.

What?? LOL. I have no words...

I think it's also bizarre that in TS3 she was the daughter of a rich and successful family and in TS2 she suddenly becomes a maid. I always imagined in my head that the family went downhill at some point and lost all their fortune.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited May 2020
    @Zei I've always thought the family would begin to fail with Zelda Mae and Dustin Langerak have an affair. IDK... The scenario is so similar to Kaylynn's affair with Daniel Pleasant. Maybe she got that from her aunt?!

@Magnezone I would say that her age was wrong in Sims 2, cuz they didn't had YA at first. But it could be sims 3's fault too.
  • ZeiZei Posts: 254 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    @Zei I've always thought the family would begin to fail with Zelda Mae and Dustin Langerak have an affair. IDK... The scenario is so similar to Kaylynn's affair with Daniel Pleasant. Maybe she got that from her aunt?!

@Magnezone I would say that her age was wrong in Sims 2, cuz they didn't had YA at first. But it could be sims 3's fault too.

To be fair, there was nothing obvious indicating her age in TS2. She might have very well been 55. And then only 5 in TS3.
    BTW I had the exact same theory! The mom discovering the affair and spiraling into depression, losing the family fortune in the process. She was the main money-maker in that family. And Kaylynn could have played out childhood traumas like you said...
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    I never played the Sims 3 but looking at the bio of the Langerak family in the Sims 3 I think your probably right. Zelda may had an affair with Dustin. But maybe she became a maid just because she likes cleaning. Or she likes to clean the houses of rich men who are interested in her lol.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!