Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Llamas in the sims and other ongoing jokes

Do you like the llama jokes in the sims or other ongoing jokes/easter eggs in the series? What do you think of them?

I just know I hated the llama mascot in TS2 he was so annoying and obnoxious

I always thought the freezer bunny was odd
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

Comments

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I like them. It's kind of a silly familiarity between all of the versions and comforting for me in a weird sort of way. Discovering them makes me smile and nostalgic. I also feel like they're kind of a tribute to the games of the past. It's nice. :)

The llama mascot was annoying in TS2 though, I'll give you that, but it's not the llama's fault! Any mascot I think would have been programmed that way. ;)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am weirdly fond of the Freezer Bunny, and go out of my way to include FB-related items.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited April 2020
    I love the Freezer Bunny and the Llama. It wouldn’t be a Sims game without them.
    https://youtu.be/zRozKfYGFVc
    Here’s your earworm for the day

You’re welcome.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I'm fine with the llama (great source of fine wool, btw), but the freezer bunny can do without. Too much of a rug rat thing.
  • collrrncollrrn Posts: 54 Member
    I love them, something about seeing them across all the games makes me feel closer to the franchise, like its our own inside joke
  • collrrncollrrn Posts: 54 Member
    > @Camkat said:
    > I like them. It's kind of a silly familiarity between all of the versions and comforting for me in a weird sort of way. Discovering them makes me smile and nostalgic. I also feel like they're kind of a tribute to the games of the past. It's nice. :)
    >
    > The llama mascot was annoying in TS2 though, I'll give you that, but it's not the llama's fault! Any mascot I think would have been programmed that way. ;)

100% agree :))
  • Lorna08Lorna08 Posts: 98 Member
    I like the llamas... I don't get the Bunny at all. Anyone care to explain its origin?
    y7Kh4Ip.png
    Follow me on (S)imstagram @SimmerLorna
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I love the Freezer Bunny and the Llama. It wouldn’t be a Sims game without them.
    https://youtu.be/zRozKfYGFVc
    Here’s your earworm for the day

You’re welcome.

Oh no no no no please no I still haven't gotten that out of my head from middle school.

Anyway, I like the ongoing jokes! They're cute, and I'm so glad they transcend the generations. If they ever got rid of the freezer bunny or the llamas I'd be really upset. :(
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    I've always thought the llama thing was funny. I guess just since it's been around for so long. There were even llama references in SimCity.
    I never minded the llama mascot in 2. It was the cow mascot that was obnoxious. They randomly fought with Sims or tried to flirt with them to make their significant other angry. The llama was just around, I even married them once or twice.

The freezer bunny, is cute. I'm not as fond of him for some reason though. His first appearance was in Sims 2 in a grocery store freezer.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Their presence in The Sims is a nod to the early Maxis days so it should be welcome. One day they should really put out a llama themed SP for old time's sake :blush:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I wish I knew the origin story for either. that would help. to me they are just inside jokes that show me I'm on the outside.can anyone tell me how they originated and what they signify?
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    edited April 2020
    I wish I knew the origin story for either. that would help. to me they are just inside jokes that show me I'm on the outside.can anyone tell me how they originated and what they signify?

From the wiki: Will Wright, creator of The Sims, stated "many years ago, we had a company-wide vote for our informal company-wide mascot, and the choices came down to the Boston tree fern, beef tape worm and a llama. And somehow the llama won the vote!" From then, llamas became a running gag in franchises associated with Maxis and Will Wright.

I didn't see anything about the freezer bunny's inception, just that it first appeared in the Sims 2 grocery freezer on a juice box. It was probably just something the artist who made it thought was cute, then someone else put the juice box in another fridge or freezer, someone else saw it and thought it was cute and stuck it somewhere else... and at some point it just started getting put everywhere as an inside joke.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I'm a fan of both the freezer bunny and the llama. Would absolutely buy IRL freezer bunny merch but all my merch-shopping is for local stores for a while.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    The Freezer Bunnn
    y may be a reference to Blue Bunny brand of frozen treats in New England. Come to think, I haven't seen Blue Bunny around in forever, but then, haven't looked. It at least used to be a thing here.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    Llamas and the Freezer Bunny are perfectly okay. Gnomes are an annoying,overused and boring hing. They wre okay in Sims 1, but hey quickly wore out their welcome in Sims 2. And i Sims 4,they were unwanted pests who got too much love from EA.

I'm hoping that there will be NO gnomes in Sims 5. Sorry,EA,but it's time you exterminated these annoying bearded pests for good.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    @Lady_Ballora dude tbat is so true. I liked them in Sims 1 coz they were kinda supringlying creepy. I remember playing Sims 1 console which was two player with my sister. We were both grinding to get to top of the career, which is really hard in Sims 1 because your needs deplete so qiickly. I remmber i spent a lot of time on a passion project, my gnome 'army' and it would annoy my sister because i was supposed to be using that time upping my body skill.

Then one day she had her sim come up to the gnomes (about 30 of them by then) it attacked her than they all dissappeared!! We both got so freaked out amused but creepy because we didnt think they do anything.

By Sims 3 they were tired out to me and now theyre super annoying.

@Lady_Ballora dude tbat is so true. I liked them in Sims 1 coz they were kinda supringlying creepy. I remember playing Sims 1 console which was two player with my sister. We were both grinding to get to top of the career, which is really hard in Sims 1 because your needs deplete so qiickly. I remmber i spent a lot of time on a passion project, my gnome 'army' and it would annoy my sister because i was supposed to be using that time upping my body skill.

Then one day she had her sim come up to the gnomes (about 30 of them by then) it attacked her than they all disappeared!! We both got so freaked out amused but creepy because we didnt think they do anything.

By Sims 3 they were tired out to me and now they're super annoying.

I found the ones in Sims 3 funny, because they would interact. Vampire gnomes would be seen posed to bite other gnomes, two gnomes would be posed dancing, they would watch tv together, etc. If you had two Mysterious Mr. Gnomes they could spawn baby gnomes who changed to each life state over time, and the original gnomes would age and die, leaving behind little tombstones.

I rarely bought a gnome in Sims 2 because other Sims would walk by and kick it over or steal lit. I don't remember even seeing gnomes in Sims 1, but I only played it on PC once, and console the rest of the time.

In Sims 4, just like the others though, you can ignore them easily enough if they annoy you. Never set gnomes as a holiday tradition, never buy any, and immediately sell any you randomly get.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    @lisamwitt
    Gnomes did a lot in Sims Making Magic but this was Sims 1 console so we didnt expect anything to happen. By the Sims 3 for me even with all of that i was really over gnomes. I feel that way too about My Sims trophies in Sims 2. I cant remember if they are in sims 3

edited May 2020
    @lisamwitt
    Gnomes did a lot in Sims Making Magic but this was Sims 1 console so we didnt expect anything to happen. By the Sims 3 for me even with all of that i was really over gnomes. I feel that way too about My Sims trophies in Sims 2. I cant remember if they are in sims 3

I've always just sold those MySims trophies. I've only kept one, Zombie Carl, when I needed to make a potion. They do get found a lot.
    There are only a couple in Sims 2, and one is made on purpose by witches. I don't think it even occurred to me until now that those were MySims things. But I never played My Sims.
    I like both the llama and the freezer bunny. Especially when they end up in here.
    PoorFreezerBunny.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like seeing the llama and freezer bunny throughout all the different games. They are a fun inside joke to the long time players. I love the gnomes from ts3. They were fun to collect and you could even have a little gnome family that aged and grew along with your sims if you had two normal gnomes on your lot. The baby and toddler gnomes were adorable.

Edit: Also may not be an easter egg per se but two food items that tend to be popular with the sims team are grilled cheese and goopy carbonara. Though I don't think goopy carbonara is in ts4.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
    The Freezer Bunnn
    y may be a reference to Blue Bunny brand of frozen treats in New England. Come to think, I haven't seen Blue Bunny around in forever, but then, haven't looked. It at least used to be a thing here.

You mean these guys? https://www.bluebunny.com/where-to-buy
    https://www.theicecreamdepot.ca/bluebunny - Yeah, we can even find them here too. in Canada. :D Sorry to hear that they've gone AWOL in New England.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • dreamyaridreamyari Posts: 41 Member
    I was waiting for somebody to mention grilled cheese and I'm surprised nobody did until @fruitsbasket101 brought it up! The top three running jokes I think of with The Sims are llamas, freezer bunnies, and grilled cheese. After that it's the things like Bonehilda and the reaper etc
    ☆ it is only with the heart that one can see rightly ★
    ❀ advocate + founder of TS3 Renaissance
    - they/them -
    TS3 username; britishpinkkitty
    ʜᴀʀᴘᴇʀ ʟᴇɢᴀᴄʏ; https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981894/harper-legacy#latest
  • deedles64deedles64 Posts: 149 Member
    I have loved all the gnomes until ts4. I don't like appeasing them so I leave them out of my Holiday festivities now. I don't need all those seed packets laying around. I do love the llama and freezer bunnies still.
  • dreamyaridreamyari Posts: 41 Member
    > @deedles64 said:
    > I have loved all the gnomes until ts4. I don't like appeasing them so I leave them out of my Holiday festivities now. I don't need all those seed packets laying around. I do love the llama and freezer bunnies still.

At least we can get some good simoleons from selling them! >.>
    ☆ it is only with the heart that one can see rightly ★
    ❀ advocate + founder of TS3 Renaissance
    - they/them -
    TS3 username; britishpinkkitty
    ʜᴀʀᴘᴇʀ ʟᴇɢᴀᴄʏ; https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981894/harper-legacy#latest