Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Behind the scenes look at making a deco object for the Sims

Using one of the items from the Community Stuff Pack.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/news/community-voted-stuff-pack-art
(Hadn't seen this posted elsewhere on the forums yet.)

I, at least, found this interesting. All of this is still concept art (so flat 2D images, even if they're done on a computer) and not 3D modeled yet. And it gives some insight into how concept art may need to be changed in the final result and why.

It also gives us a look at the Palate most of the objects will probably have.

Comments

• MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    That’s really cool. I wish the Sims did more of this “making of” stuff.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Super cool! I totally wish they would share more content like this.
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Thanks for sharing it @DaWaterRat !

I always love to get an insight of the creative process that turns an idea into reality as well :smile:
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    "We removed a couple of round balls of yarn (round things cost lots of polygons) and replaced them with a stack of craft paper."

Wow, so they took out yarn (something actually related to knitting) to add random pieces of paper (which have nothing to do with knitting). Just because of polygons? Surely there are going to be other models of yarn in this knitting pack. They really couldn't just re-use the models, something they do all the time?

And what's most annoying is that I'm pretty sure I voted for the original version of this object, mainly because it actually looked like it belonged in a knitting pack. But now they've removed some of the knitting related aspects to it, meaning it's not even what I voted for anymore. I sure hope they aren't going to do this with every object.

I don't like how, yet again, fans are only being informed of this kind of stuff after the fact. This is supposed to be a community stuff pack yet we've gotten little opportunity to voice our opinions on this pack. This kind of stuff should be told to us beforehand so we can give our own thoughts of the staff changing stuff we voted for.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited April 2020
    "We removed a couple of round balls of yarn (round things cost lots of polygons) and replaced them with a stack of craft paper."

Wow, so they took out yarn (something actually related to knitting) to add random pieces of paper (which have nothing to do with knitting). Just because of polygons? Surely there are going to be other models of yarn in this knitting pack. They really couldn't just re-use the models, something they do all the time?

Polygons impact performance, especially on lower end machines. A ball of yarn has at minimum of 20 and that's for a very blocky ball. 64 is more common, and that's still fairly blocky depending on what Level of Detail you're working with. A pad of paper has 6, no matter what Level of Detail you're at. So dropping the yarn for craft paper saves a lot of polygons over time/repeated use of the item. I'm sure there will be other items that do have yarn because they're more central to the item's concept than a crafting shelf.

Not to mention that this still has five skeins of yarn (or cord) hanging over the ribbons, and a basket with yarn in it on the lower shelf, so it's not like all the yarn was removed from the item.

And again, even though I know you won't accept it, this is an Arts and Crafts themed pack. Knitting is just the gameplay element. And there's a heck of a lot more to Arts and Crafts than yarn work.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I would love to have seen the rocking chair!
    a256aFi.gif
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    edited April 2020
    Here's hoping the swatches 9 and 14 make it into pack. I was in favor of the industrial art style, glad to see that there are options for the new items to not look too out of place in a workshop.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Here's hoping the swatches 9 and 14 make it into pack.

I'm pretty sure we're getting all 16 swatches.

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Here's hoping the swatches 9 and 14 make it into pack.

I'm pretty sure we're getting all 16 swatches.

I agree, these are the sketches that the modelers will use as guide. I had no idea, but this appears like a very laborious process, having to choose each colour and pattern individually. The art director must have a very good eye for minute detail.
  • menysanasmenysanas Posts: 22 Member
    Wow! I think that it's really cool! I really like this content!
  • QU33N31QU33N31 Posts: 5 New Member
    LOVED THIS! I always find it so neat seeing how anything on a computer is thought up. Gonna have to scroll the forums to find more stuff like this. Haha
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I loved this sharing on how things are done and I hope this is a one thing. What would be fun to see them playtesting a new game and see what kind of problems they discover
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited April 2020
    I, too, found this behind the scenes look at the modelling of an object to be fascinating. I generally like the look of the object and most of the swatches are very nice. It would be great if we could have more wood tones than just the one medium brown variation that we are getting, though. Some light wood, reddish wood and dark wood options would be good to have as well. At least the black and white swatches have been included again. I wish they could in a similar way have a variety of standard wood tones in a few key shades across all their objects so it would be easier to match new furniture with existing sets.
  • QU33N31QU33N31 Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Peral said:
    > I loved this sharing on how things are done and I hope this is a one thing. What would be fun to see them playtesting a new game and see what kind of problems they discover

YESSS!!! I'd love to watch that being done too!!
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited April 2020

And what's most annoying is that I'm pretty sure I voted for the original version of this object, mainly because it actually looked like it belonged in a knitting pack. But now they've removed some of the knitting related aspects to it, meaning it's not even what I voted for anymore. I sure hope they aren't going to do this with every object.

I don't like how, yet again, fans are only being informed of this kind of stuff after the fact. This is supposed to be a community stuff pack yet we've gotten little opportunity to voice our opinions on this pack. This kind of stuff should be told to us beforehand so we can give our own thoughts of the staff changing stuff we voted for.

I agree. I really liked the round cup holding the needles on the board and I thought since it won that we would get it. If they had put on there what they will actually make, I probably wouldn't have voted for this. They don't realize that their changes make the item look different from what we voted for and expected to get. Why vote if someone is just going to change it to what they want it to be instead of what the majority voted for.

I did like seeing how they do things and the peak at the colors available.