Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why I don't like sims 2 as much as3 and 4

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Never had a problem with the aspirations system, played how I wanted to and let the chips fall where they may. Any problems came mainly with trying to handle more than 4 sims at a time. Too easy to focus on one or two and the rest start tanking. Fully agree with the dating thing though. It was more like pushing buttons than a way to strengthen a relationship. TS1 did that much better.

Yeah, that's how I played, too. My goals not the game's goals. I thought it was easy on dates because I would wait until a Sim was hungry so they could go out to eat. That's what a lot of people do, right? They go to dinner, or somewhere. It was only hard when the other Sim had silly wants like things I couldn't fill like get a promotion, and or learn a skill or be friends with someone else in the room. But usually going to dine out with someone usally solved a big problem by filling both Sims' wishes, and adding a lot more time to the meter. Sometimes, the dates had went so well, and my Sim out of energy that I went ahead and ended them. The only bad date my Sim had was recently due to glitch with the taxi. Even before my Sim could get in the taxi to go meet the Sim, she asked where he was at? Lol, and thought he had stood her up. But she showed up at the restaurant anyway, (but not together) and so he asked someone else out while there. Too bad, she lost her chance. lol But they were BFFs so it really didn't hurt the relationship at all though he got a bad memory for a bad date. It was a glitch with the taxi, it showed up on time but I got the message he better get going....weird.

And I would think (for me) seeing wishes of both Sims was a lot better than TS4's to do list of talk ten times, sit down with Sim fifteen times etc.

I liked the dates in sims 2 I never did it in 3 that much and I dont think making the dates an event like they did in sims 4 was a good idea
    because you can only do so much with the prizes you get it makes you not want to date in 4
    I still like the dates in 4 though I just wish there was more to it and more romance stuff in the game as a whole
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I had my Sims date in Sims3, but I had to get creative in finding places for them to go. It made me really, really miss the interactive restaurants of Sims2.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Dates in sims 2 were my favourites. I loved all the interactions sims could do in a restaurant table and so much more... I never cared for the meter but i did care for the other sim's wants. I loved that we could see it!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2020
    Never had a problem with the aspirations system, played how I wanted to and let the chips fall where they may. Any problems came mainly with trying to handle more than 4 sims at a time. Too easy to focus on one or two and the rest start tanking. Fully agree with the dating thing though. It was more like pushing buttons than a way to strengthen a relationship. TS1 did that much better.

Yeah, that's how I played, too. My goals not the game's goals. I thought it was easy on dates because I would wait until a Sim was hungry so they could go out to eat. That's what a lot of people do, right? They go to dinner, or somewhere. It was only hard when the other Sim had silly wants like things I couldn't fill like get a promotion, and or learn a skill or be friends with someone else in the room. But usually going to dine out with someone usally solved a big problem by filling both Sims' wishes, and adding a lot more time to the meter. Sometimes, the dates had went so well, and my Sim out of energy that I went ahead and ended them. The only bad date my Sim had was recently due to glitch with the taxi. Even before my Sim could get in the taxi to go meet the Sim, she asked where he was at? Lol, and thought he had stood her up. But she showed up at the restaurant anyway, (but not together) and so he asked someone else out while there. Too bad, she lost her chance. lol But they were BFFs so it really didn't hurt the relationship at all though he got a bad memory for a bad date. It was a glitch with the taxi, it showed up on time but I got the message he better get going....weird.

And I would think (for me) seeing wishes of both Sims was a lot better than TS4's to do list of talk ten times, sit down with Sim fifteen times etc.

I liked the dates in sims 2 I never did it in 3 that much and I dont think making the dates an event like they did in sims 4 was a good idea
    because you can only do so much with the prizes you get it makes you not want to date in 4
    I still like the dates in 4 though I just wish there was more to it and more romance stuff in the game as a whole

Lol, I remember having a poor Sim go on a date in TS2, only to get that big screen TV left on his porch, lol. And dinner was a coupon he got in the mail for dinner for two. :p Ah, good times, before they all got that computer from Humble and have money right away if they sell it. Rags to riches became even easier as the game went on and easy peasy stuff was added after The Sims Studio took over. :( (Such as Networking) I gave those away because it would spoil my Sim's journey since it would add money to the family funds if I deleted that stuff. And or easy promotion next day, or FT easy peasy slow bladder, slow energy loss, slower comfort need etc. I really started to dislike TS2 after the two Seasons patches that changed the ratios of death to hardly ever, and started added kiddy demotions instead of fired etc. That was all done by The Sims Studio after they took over in 2007.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited March 2020

Lol, I remember having a poor Sim go on a date in TS2, only to get that big screen TV left on his porch, lol. And dinner was a coupon he got in the mail for dinner for two. :p Ah, good times, before they all got that computer from Humble and have money right away if they sell it. Rags to riches became even easier as the game went on and easy peasy stuff was added after The Sims Studio took over. :( (Such as Networking) I gave those away because it would spoil my Sim's journey since it would add money to the family funds if I deleted that stuff. And or easy promotion next day, or FT easy peasy slow bladder, slow energy loss, slower comfort need etc. I really started to dislike TS2 after the two Seasons patches that changed the ratios of death to hardly ever, and started added kiddy demotions instead of fired etc. That was all done by The Sims Studio after they took over in 2007.

I hear you there's a lot of people that would like the sims to be harder and there a lot of people who want the game to be relaxing
    which is why I think sims 5 should have a hard a normal and easy mode this would sat it apart from all other sims games from the start
    @Cinebar
  • MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    they can die of illness
    Not only is it super hard to die of illness (to date, I have never had a sim die of illness in The Sims 2 despite playing for well over a decade) they... can in The Sims 4 too??? The Rodent bites from My First Pet Stuff are FAR more deadly AND contagious if left untreated than any illness in The Sims 2. In The Sims 2, I go about playing normally, and I'm never effected by illness.
    the things that I don't like are the fact that its so hard to keep there needs up
    In my entire time of playing, I've never struggled to keep needs up in The Sims 2. It's just that 3 and 4 babies y'all, and I say that as someone who likes 3 and 4.

With that said, Freetime's perks help with this. If you have UC (or well, just Freetime), use the aspiration perks. I feel a lot of people forget they exist. I always get the slower motive decay ones first, which is probably why I never understand everyone's problems when it comes to filling needs.
    and the fact that they age faster if you don't fulfill there wants
    This, I'll give you, i guess. The game is focused around Wants, and it seems the game and its players are drifting away from this playstyle more and more.

There are mods to make wants more based on personality, interests and skills though, and if you have Freetime, you get tons of hobby wants (i got a mod to change that, I hate the hobby wants personally)
    if my sims starve I want it to be because they could not afford food I don't want it to be because they fill asleep in there dinner or because they cant be bothered to go to the fridge
    Get better at looking after your sims. The only sim that ever starved to death in my game by accident was Nina Caliente (;_;) because I took her out partying and flirting with people all night and stayed out so late that she didn't get to eat in time. Even when I wasn't physically controlling any sims in my household except for Don Lothario for a challenge, I never had a sim starve - I made them food and made sure to call them to the meal
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2020
    Im suprised people dont like the aspiration bar! I love it. For me it shows what my sim wants out of their life. If im playing a strict story ill just use cheats to keep them at platinum and motives maxed.

I dont mind the timed date. I think it fun and harmless. You could still have a romantic outing/date without it being a timed event. You could just ask them to be in your "group" and youve got a date, same as TS3. But the times date at least gets you a flower bouquet or prizes. And if your sim is cheating on their spouse and they read the note on the bouquet, theyll know theyre cheating! Sims 2 sims are smart!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • ZeiZei Posts: 254 Member
    Sims2 was my introduction to gaming, in general. I did have a cheesy Star Trek game that made you go through a battle scenario before you could get to the 'fun' part of the game, such as solving the mission problem, but I grew tired of that one rapidly. Yeah, me a HUGE Original Star Trek fan.

Was that Star Trek Elite Force by any chance?? Because that was my first real PC game ever too!

Zei wrote: »
    Sims2 was my introduction to gaming, in general. I did have a cheesy Star Trek game that made you go through a battle scenario before you could get to the 'fun' part of the game, such as solving the mission problem, but I grew tired of that one rapidly. Yeah, me a HUGE Original Star Trek fan.

Was that Star Trek Elite Force by any chance?? Because that was my first real PC game ever too!

You know, it's been so long I can't recall the name of it. It was on a floppy disk, though. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited April 2020
    there's lots of things I like about sims 2 the wants and fears and memories which I would love to be put in other sims games as well as the fact that
    they can die of illness the things that I don't like are the fact that its so hard to keep there needs up
    if my sims starve I want it to be because they could not afford food I don't want it to be because they fill asleep in there dinner or because
    they cant be bothered to go to the fridge

Git Gud, and you'll enjoy the game more...
    Sims 2 punishes need managment mistakes.
    Post edited by Dijktafone on
    @comicsforlife I'm more bothered that my Sims will have go to bed and sleep in their queue and instead, they get right back out of bed to pass out! Who does that? I mean, really? LOL
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    there's lots of things I like about sims 2 the wants and fears and memories which I would love to be put in other sims games as well as the fact that
    they can die of illness the things that I don't like are the fact that its so hard to keep there needs up
    if my sims starve I want it to be because they could not afford food I don't want it to be because they fill asleep in there dinner or because

All the versions do, at least that's been my experience. At least TS2 has 'maxMotives' to bail you out if need be.

All the versions do, at least that's been my experience. At least TS2 has 'maxMotives' to bail you out if need be.

Well one can always argue they all do (we can always die of hunger), although the 3 and 4 are much much more tolerant, and the critical thresholds much harder to reach without doing it on purpose.
    When I read the title and the open post, my only advise would be start managing the needs better, knowing how to counter disease, and then having a finall assessment if indeed after all, O.P. still prefers 3 & 4.

And I say that having been punished really hard myself, back in the day of the expansion-less TS2 :/

Well one can always argue they all do (we can always die of hunger), although the 3 and 4 are much much more tolerant, and the critical thresholds much harder to reach without doing it on purpose.
    When I read the title and the open post, my only advise would be start managing the needs better, knowing how to counter disease, and then having a finall assessment if indeed after all, O.P. still prefers 3 & 4.

And I say that having been punished really hard myself, back in the day of the expansion-less TS2 :/

yes I still like 3 and 4 better then 2 this however does not mean I dislike 2 I just don't like it as much @Dijktafone
    @comicsforlife I'm more bothered that my Sims will have go to bed and sleep in their queue and instead, they get right back out of bed to pass out! Who does that? I mean, really? LOL

yes I know what you mean lol

This. Just because The Sims 4's motive decay is slow as hell, doesn't mean The Sims 2 is hard by comparison. You just can't expect to go without eating, sleeping or talking to people for more than a day like you can easily do in TS4.

I'd get it if it was The Sims 1 you were complaining about though. After years on The Sims 2, I still find The Sims 1 basically impossible to adjust back to, as soon as you fill one need another falls.
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
    edited April 2020
    Magnezone wrote: »

This. Just because The Sims 4's motive decay is slow as hell, doesn't mean The Sims 2 is hard by comparison. You just can't expect to go without eating, sleeping or talking to people for more than a day like you can easily do in TS4.

I'd get it if it was The Sims 1 you were complaining about though. After years on The Sims 2, I still find The Sims 1 basically impossible to adjust back to, as soon as you fill one need another falls.

Who complains about what? I say it punishes, not that it's hard. OP says 'my sim is too tired to eat so he falls asleep on his food'. :(

Also, your first line contradicts itself. What message were you trying to convey?
    edited April 2020
    Also, your first line contradicts itself. What message were you trying to convey?

Huh? I was agreeing with you.

Edit: the second paragraph was aimed at OP.

XVlamuQ.png
    edited April 2020

Huh? I was agreeing with you.

Edit: the second paragraph was aimed at OP.

I appreciate it BUT it is contradictory and I didn't quite got it. You're stating Ts2 isn't hard by comparaison to TS4, BUT you can do lots of stuff in TS4 in the same timespan you would in Ts2. I'm kinda lost lol!

Ts1, yes let's not even talk about it. When your sim comes back home after work at 3PM with his energy half depleted... I mean doesn't leave a lot of time for the rest.

Ts2 at launch, from a personal perspective, either I was bad or the game was harder, but I remember having struggled mightily at times :s

Anyways, like all sims game, it's just a matter to find one's pace to avoid those funny (but irritating when you trigger them) punishments. Finding a routine of sorts.
    edited April 2020
    I appreciate it BUT it is contradictory and I didn't quite got it. You're stating Ts2 isn't hard by comparaison to TS4, BUT you can do lots of stuff in TS4 in the same timespan you would in Ts2. I'm kinda lost lol!

That's not even close to what I said. Reread it. I said you can easily go a day without eating or sleeping in The Sims 4. You can't do that in The Sims 2 - you'll die. And I never mentioned TS2 was easier anywhere in that statement. I said it's not hard even by comparison to the "easy" game. Aka its not hard even when compared to The Sims 4. It's still easy. Every sims game is easy because it's a leisure game with the exception of the original.

Edit: meh I see the problem now. What I said wasn't very clear.
    XVlamuQ.png

That's not even close to what I said. Reread it. I said you can easily go a day without eating or sleeping in The Sims 4. You can't do that in The Sims 2 - you'll die. And I never mentioned TS2 was easier anywhere in that statement.

Oh wow XD! I indeed totally missred it! Apologises! o:)

But let us be honest. Freetime (Idk if OP has it) makes things more than manageable with no less than 6 need perks one can aquire, some of which stack. At which point, neither game can be qualified of hard.

The basegame though, that's a different animal, very close to TS1 in terms of diff :(
    edited April 2020

But let us be honest. Freetime (Idk if OP has it) makes things more than manageable with no less than 6 need perks one can aquire, some of which stack. At which point, neither game can be qualified of hard.

The basegame though, that's a different animal, very close to TS1 in terms of diff :(
    Not problem. I worded it badly and only realised upon rereading myself.

I'm going to be honest, I don't remember the last time I played without Freetime. It was before UC. Before UC I only had base uni and seasons, maybe a couple others I'm forgetting. But I was a kid (like 9 or so) when Ts2 came out with no disposable income.

One thing I will say is I never remember killing a sim off due to neglect even back then, but it might be because of my nature as a person to take care of things. I had a tamagotchi around that time too, and it literally lived until the battery died because of how good care I took of it, whereas all of my school friends' died long before that.

The only sim I've ever accidentally killed by starvation in hundreds of hours was Nina Caliente, and I was sooo upset over it. I killed Kristen Loste in a fire by accident too. Not as upset about that one.

Edit: oh god I just realise if you search Kristen Loste's name my blog comes up on first page. LOL
    XVlamuQ.png

Not problem. I worded it badly and only realised upon rereading myself.

I'm going to be honest, I don't remember the last time I played without Freetime. It was before UC. Before UC I only had base uni and seasons, maybe a couple others I'm forgetting. But I was a kid (like 9 or so) when Ts2 came out with no disposable income.

One thing I will say is I never remember killing a sim off due to neglect even back then, but it might be because of my nature as a person to take care of things. I had a tamagotchi around that time too, and it literally lived until the battery died because of how good care I took of it, whereas all of my school friends' died long before that.

The only sim I've ever accidentally killed by starvation in hundreds of hours was Nina Caliente, and I was sooo upset over it. I killed Kristen Loste in a fire by accident too. Not as upset about that one.

Oh well I DO have vivid memories of the game being too difficult (for me) at the start. My little sim was married, and his wife died (starvation), leaving him with a pair of twins. I remember having been so ovewhelmed by the task that I had to 'sacrifice' the aspiration of one, so the other can grow up well. Epic fail.

So yeah, being good at TS2 doesn't happen overnight, that much I know. Though once you're finding your pace, you can focus on the rest, and discover a wonderful game.
    my idea of a good hard mode in the sims would be one where events would happen all the time like being abducted being robbed eating poison beans illness sims cheating on each other compared to those things keeping the needs up just isn't as fun @Dijktafone @Magnezone
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2020
    Just clearing up some misinformation here about TS2 Sims. They do not age faster if you don't fill their wants or aspirations. They age at 6:00 P.M each day. But unlike TS4 there is a Help menu if Simmers want to cheat (thank you Maxis for making almost everything you could do available to players) aging off for a particular Sim and aging off for the entire lot. Mods created years ago (if that isn't easy enough) adds a long life of 38 days before aging to elder etc. Sims need coffee in TS2, it works. They also don't get as tired if not overly (more than five points) active, do anything like work out or play soccer or whatever. Beds matter in the game, 10 point bed works better than a 2 point or 3 point bed..and last longer especially if they do very little to zap energy and or don't have an active 5+ personality points.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.