Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So have you played a lot of TS4 in lockdown?

As the title says: have you? I ask because I noticed today that I actually haven't touched or even thought about the game at all. I'm more and more entering into this love/hate thing with TS4 where I do find it fun generally, but the ways it's handled (the birthday, the ways they make fun of player requests in their streams, the communication style) and the simplicity of its gameplay is becoming more and more off-putting. And no, I'm not trying to hate on it, I do know what this game can be like.. I just realized today that even in a time like this, it doesn't seem to draw me in much at all. Then I touched TS4 Mobile for a few seconds before I deleted it and thought: is this really what they think is fun? These meaningless stories without a modicum of depth...is this why TS4 is what it is? It just made me think that even if they can start again, with a new engine, will the result be all that different? Will TS5 be a return to form finally? Cause if it isn't, hard as it will be, I guess I'll have to say goodbye to the series for good .. :(

Sorry for the negativity, just sharing my thoughts. :)

Comments

• jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Yes. I got 3 EPs and 2 GPs to get me back into sims 4 after a two years break. So far the two EPs ( uni and island) are a huge disappointment. Get famous and Strangerville are superb. Realm of magic I haven’t played yet.

These packs quality varies so much I guess I will always wait for a discount ! I remember pre-ordering get to work for the retail system and it was quite meh !
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    GF and Strangerville are two of the better packs - which is weird cause you'd think they're bad at first but they at least have gameplay and change things up a bit - as opposed to IL xD uni is grindy, I think that's the main issue with it. There's a mod that lets you shorten the amount of classes you need to finish btw, it really helps making it more enjoyable. Unfortunately I hate that having one sim in uni means I pretty much have to ignore all my other households if I want him to pass 🙄
  • prettyprettyplumbobprettyprettyplumbob Posts: 183 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Then I touched TS4 Mobile for a few seconds before I deleted it and thought: is this really what they think is fun? These meaningless stories without a modicum of depth...is this why TS4 is what it is?

I've been debating re-downloading Sims Mobile, but it is genuinely terrible. I couldn't agree more. But I've been enjoying Sims 4 lately--it took a lot of DLC for me to enjoy things--- but lately I've been pretty happy with the game. I feel like I have lots of things to do, and adding legacies/challenges on top of in-game grind also helps.
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    I understand what you mean. A weird graphical bug happened in my game months ago, and I slowly grew disinterested in the game and focused on other hobbies. However, I'm really happy that they fixed it with this most recent patch, so I've been been actually playing the game a bit.

I like TS4 and find it fun, but I'm also frustrated by some things and disappointed with others.

For me, I don't mind the loading screens. They keep the game running smoothly, unlike TS3. Lots don't take a lot of time to load either. I don't usually play "dramatic" things either (like sims cheating or arguing), but I do want more depth in that stuff for people who do. It's unsettling to see a sim squabble, and then return right to a friendly conversation. That doesn't make sense. I find the decorative moodlet too extreme, and I want my sims to feel "fine" as their default, not "happy." There's other stuff I want too, like non-creepy looking and bassinet-free babies, more stuff for teens to do, snuggling in double beds, police, burglars, firefighters, and more traits/aspirations. Oh, and normal-sized telescopes, an upright piano, and microscope (My houses are on the small side).

But there's a lot I like about the game too. The worlds look great. The toddlers are realistic and fun. Build mode in intuitive and fun to play with (coming from someone who isn't great at building). I think the artstyle is great (my favourite out of all the games, couldn't stand TS3's sims), CAS is a lot of fun, and the gender patch is probably my favourite addition to any sims game ever. I do like TS4, but there's so much that could be improved upon, but I'm not sure if certain things ever will be.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Honestly I haven't been playing more since quarantine. I would say equally as much as I normally would. With the rest of my time I read write etc.

I understand though we all have our own share of disappointments with the game but when I do play I just try to focus on the positives and enjoy it for what it is. Because I do have a lot of fun with it despite the flaws.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    GF and Strangerville are two of the better packs - which is weird cause you'd think they're bad at first but they at least have gameplay and change things up a bit - as opposed to IL xD uni is grindy, I think that's the main issue with it. There's a mod that lets you shorten the amount of classes you need to finish btw, it really helps making it more enjoyable. Unfortunately I hate that having one sim in uni means I pretty much have to ignore all my other households if I want him to pass 🙄

Yea I used a mod to reduce it to 6 credits which is just about tolerable. Doing homework term paper presentation for the 26th times is not my idea of fun !

The mobile version of sims is just .... just .... I can’t think of a word to describe it which will not be censored in this forum :)
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Nope I haven't played it in months lol! Haven't touched it...now Animal Crossing on the other hand.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited April 2020
    Technically I am on a "lockdown" for like 6 years. I am a loner.
    Anyhow, first I didn't play at all because I wasn't in a mood to play. For the past week or so I am simming like everyday is supposed to be my last day.

EDIT: I feel like I should explain. I meant I play the game a lot. Way too much. That is my standard actually. It is not that I would be scared of dying. It is just how we say it when we do something a lot.
    Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I've been playing the Sims 4 the normal amount but I recently got back into the older games more. Especially the Sims 3, I can finally justify waiting the 45 minutes it takes for my legacy family to load.

Of course there's other games I've been playing even more than the Sims, It's pretty much been a cycle of Animal Crossing, The Sims, and The Legend of Zelda.
    Lyoufln wrote: »
    I understand what you mean. A weird graphical bug happened in my game months ago, and I slowly grew disinterested in the game and focused on other hobbies. However, I'm really happy that they fixed it with this most recent patch, so I've been been actually playing the game a bit.

I like TS4 and find it fun, but I'm also frustrated by some things and disappointed with others.

For me, I don't mind the loading screens. They keep the game running smoothly, unlike TS3. Lots don't take a lot of time to load either. I don't usually play "dramatic" things either (like sims cheating or arguing), but I do want more depth in that stuff for people who do. It's unsettling to see a sim squabble, and then return right to a friendly conversation. That doesn't make sense. I find the decorative moodlet too extreme, and I want my sims to feel "fine" as their default, not "happy." There's other stuff I want too, like non-creepy looking and bassinet-free babies, more stuff for teens to do, snuggling in double beds, police, burglars, firefighters, and more traits/aspirations. Oh, and normal-sized telescopes, an upright piano, and microscope (My houses are on the small side).

But there's a lot I like about the game too. The worlds look great. The toddlers are realistic and fun. Build mode in intuitive and fun to play with (coming from someone who isn't great at building). I think the artstyle is great (my favourite out of all the games, couldn't stand TS3's sims), CAS is a lot of fun, and the gender patch is probably my favourite addition to any sims game ever. I do like TS4, but there's so much that could be improved upon, but I'm not sure if certain things ever will be.

Glad they fixed your bug! What was it?

I think it's not even that things annoy me (although some definitely do), but more the.. idk.. feeling that I've played it all before. Sometimes I wish sims had memories, actually wanted and feared stuff, had certain personality quirks I have to work with. It's fun for a while and then I just end up feeling they're all so samey.

It's not always like that, there's moments where I can totally get lost in it, but I feel the past few months I've been disillusioned with the franchise, for lack of better words.

When I play things like Ori, Days Gone, heck even Oceanhorn on Apple Arcade, I feel that the people who made it truly wanted to make something special. That for all the flaws even these games may have, there was a genuine desire to craft something unique... With the sims I just don't feel that at all lately. I don't feel it in their interviews, their recent blog, their engagement on social media...maybe I'm wrong idk. But it doesn't make me want to even fire up the game.

And it comes and goes really, like you said, something the interest wanes a little and it'll probably shift back eventually to where I can and want to enjoy this title... and who knows, maybe it's just how sims games are (it's not like I'm playing any of the older ones either right now) but right now it doesn't feel very inspired or inspiring. And I'm very much worried that this franchise will never bring back the magic of the original games at all...

@jimbbq yeah agree that mobile game is one grindy boring piece of trash.
    Have you tried doing challenge ? Or even come up with your own challenge ? It might help spice things up.
  • summermistx3summermistx3 Posts: 1,537 Member
    Hahah oh yes! The last time I was able to play *hours* of sims was like 6 years ago. Real life university, getting married, and then married and work life has kept me so busy I hadn’t been able to even think about the game until stay-at-home orders began here last month. I ended up buying all the EPs on sale and 4 GPs: Vampires, RoM, Parenthood and Dine Out. I honestly did not want Sims 3 to end. I love exploring new things but find Sims 4 kind of lackluster but I have been dedicated to the Sims franchise since I was 12 (when I had found Sims 2 so charming). I couldn’t imagine buying any of the Sims 4 games full price. I just need the SPs to dip 50% off lol.
  • MikkiMikkiMikkiMMikkiMikkiMikkiM Posts: 213 Member
    I don't play more than usual, but then again, my lifestyle hasn't changed much either with the lockdown. I'm more of a builder anyway, so I don't really understand the complaints people have (just because I don't play the game like that, so I don't encounter many of the things people seem to have issues with). I tend to create a family, play them for a few days and then I move on to something else. For me, the creating is the most fun, so I don't have many issues with the game that would keep me from playing. There are some things I miss or that are annoying, but nothing big.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Not as much as I thought I would. Anxiety hit hard and I haven't been able to focus on much else other than keeping up with life and the news.

But it's picking up now that the lockdown's sort of the new normal and I think I'll be playing more this week.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I had a few months break from December to beginning of March. Haven't really gotten back into it since. Currently looking to do some kind of project, with building/making sims. Think I need something "big" to pull me in again, something I can consentrate on for a while. Might also look into a challenge I haven't tried before, could be fun as well :)

Life hasn't been much different from normal for me, really. Just a bit less contact with family and the few friends I have, no surprise visits from my cousin who lives near me. I miss that and can't wait for the restrictions to be lifted :) Other than grocery shopping, I'm always at home anyway, so business as usual here.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    If I had to take a guess, I would say 5/6 hours total during that time.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm guilty of playing way too much since the lockdown. About 9 hours a day! Sims games have always been addictive to me.

• LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    I’ve played more in the past month than the 12 before the quarantine. I’m starting to get a little bored but I just changed my Sims lives a bit.
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Have you tried doing challenge ? Or even come up with your own challenge ? It might help spice things up.

Yeah I did. Challenges, mods, magic school, military, witch families, normal families, uni sims xD idk maybe I'm just in a funk, can't think of much I haven't done. But some people have said their lives haven't changed much in lockdown - and actually that's true for me as well. Truth be told I'm so introverted I think lockdown is something we should do every year, I kind of love it xD

So yeah, maybe it isn't the game's fault, maybe it's just not that time of the year. Idk? Glad to see others are enjoying their games in lockdown though! Maybe reading about your enjoyment will eventually convince me to give it another go - once I'm done with my current addiction: Grindstone (who knew a mobile game could hold my attention for so long?! 😅) - so feel free to keep sharing what you're doing with your sims in lockdown, I do enjoy reading it even if I'm "in a sims funk".
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am getting more practice in Build Mode, which is new, but also playing my Legacy households a lot (not a challenge legacy - just Sims descended from / connected by marriage to my Founders).

I finally got Island Living last month, just in time to huddle down at home for a bit. It's been a real joy.

Got my younger spare through Uni, into an Engineering career, and am raising his kids - my first Spellcasters born in-game.

Aged my Founders to Elder and moved them off to their retirement in paradise in Ohan'ali Town.

This and that - a lot of rotational play, a lot of expermiental builds, one or two of which actually worked out.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Nope. I still haven't touched the game since the end of 2018.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Wait, they make fun of player requests on their streams?

A word comes to mind for that, but it isn't appropiate for this forum.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Mostly playing the new Animal Crossing and just finished Breath of the Wild a week ago. As for TS4, I haven't exactly played, but I've spent a lot of time updating my mods and cc, clearing my library and gallery feed, placing lots, renovating, and basically updating my words. And I've come to the realization that for me, the sims is more like a personal project I enjoy rather than a game.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Wait, they make fun of player requests on their streams?

A word comes to mind for that, but it isn't appropiate for this forum.

WAIT WHAT!?
    jimbbq wrote: »

Yeah I did. Challenges, mods, magic school, military, witch families, normal families, uni sims xD idk maybe I'm just in a funk, can't think of much I haven't done. But some people have said their lives haven't changed much in lockdown - and actually that's true for me as well. Truth be told I'm so introverted I think lockdown is something we should do every year, I kind of love it xD

So yeah, maybe it isn't the game's fault, maybe it's just not that time of the year. Idk? Glad to see others are enjoying their games in lockdown though! Maybe reading about your enjoyment will eventually convince me to give it another go - once I'm done with my current addiction: Grindstone (who knew a mobile game could hold my attention for so long?! 😅) - so feel free to keep sharing what you're doing with your sims in lockdown, I do enjoy reading it even if I'm "in a sims funk".

Hey I don't think it's you, I've tried EVERYTHING and I just...can't get through with a game...I even tried playing my sim self with her love interests and I AM still so bored..I think it IS the game.