Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis Match vs Alpha for CAS, your opinion?

MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
edited April 2020 in CAS Custom Content
Wanted to make a poll but can't on this board. Oh well. Which do you prefer?

For me, in The Sims 4, Maxis Match 100%.

I hate how Alpha sims look, and yet I feel like an odd one out because I see people endlessly praise them, particularly on YouTube where the only Maxis Match or no CC simmers who seem to be popular are incredibly talented builders or make comedy-based content. Pretty Maxis Match sims generally get glossed over completely, I find.

Why do I hate alpha you ask? I find them uncanny, and the games' animations don't match with them whatsoever (everything is animated bouncy and cartoony unlike TS3) and the entire environment and every object is mismatched with them so you have to replace everything for the game to look right. Go hard or go home, so to speak

In fact, I feel I'm just going full on Maxis Match in all games in general now. I filled my The Sims 3 with alpha CC as a teen. I look back and hate how the sims I made look.

That said, I don't mind alpha CC for furniture quite as much. Some of it is a lot less jarring from what I've seen, and there's quite a few pieces of Maxis default items that blend in fairly well with alpha stuff. But for CAS? Absolutely no.

So how about you? What's your reasoning too?
My blog full of things that never get finished!
XVlamuQ.png
Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.

Comments

• ck614ck614 Posts: 8 New Member
    I like both!
    Personally I feel that alpha has more options, and realistic gameplay and clothing.
    Maxis match is cute, but usually dosen't have as much detail, but it makes up for the staying to the sims theme.

In my opinion I think both are great, I mostly use alpha for the clothes, and maxismatch for the hair, because it's way easier to edit in photoshop.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm an alpha girl all they way. Ever since I layed eyes on it I could never turn back. I agree though it looks bad to mix the two. But I love it so much I took the time to alpha my entire sims world or atleast as much as I could. And I only use alpha in CAS. I just fall in love with the textures, the look, the shades, everything! It looks real without looking uncanny valley real.
    While in my personal opinion everything from maxis looks like smooth plastic barbie houses. Or at worse fisher price toys 🤣🤣And the hair looks like plastic wigs or something. (Though I do like there wavy/curly ones)

Both are okay as long as they are not mixed. I don't hate the maxis look I just think alpha is better.

One more thing I want to mention. I agree with you about the animations. They move and behave in silly childish ways which does not look well with alpha. But I use a lot of posing and story telling so it hasn't been much of a problem.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,772 Member
    Maxis Match for me! I have tried using alpha CC and discovered I suck at making alpha Sims. Plus, I really don't like the hair in-game, it's pretty on Sim models done by people that can make alpha faces.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Maxis Match. Alpha just looks horrible compared to the rest of the game. And with most of the lettering being in English, no thanks.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I like Alpha hair. It gives more personality from my perspective. Hairstyles can be longer and poofier with more dimension. Most Maxis Match hair is way too short and falls flat against the head in chunky strands for my taste. I stick with Maxis Match clothes and BB, though.
  • MirkaKaroliinaMirkaKaroliina Posts: 147 Member
    I like Alpha hair. It gives more personality from my perspective. Hairstyles can be longer and poofier with more dimension. Most Maxis Match hair is way too short and falls flat against the head in chunky strands for my taste. I stick with Maxis Match clothes and BB, though.

Same! I use Alpha hair and make up but everything else is Maxis Match and I think it fits really nicely.
    cha cha cha
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Alpha skins for sure. I like definition. Defined cheekbones, nose, undereye circles and all that jazz.
    Clothes and hair I go either way.
  • MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    edited April 2020
    While in my personal opinion everything from maxis looks like smooth plastic barbie houses. Or at worse fisher price toys 🤣🤣And the hair looks like plastic wigs or something. (Though I do like there wavy/curly ones)
    They move and behave in silly childish ways which does not look well with alpha.

You see, these things that you dislike are things I personally like about TS4 and its graphics. I love TS4's art style and to me its like, one of the only things it gets right over the other games.

The Sims 3 is a good game, but man, the sims are uncanny and ugly to me, with the exception of a few if their features are made exactly right (i.e. Gunther Goth is pretty). The more plastic kind of look to the sims, making them doll like, eases that and makes them more fun to me. It allows them to be expressive and cartoony, and allows for more silly and ridiculous animations and scenarios - though EA hasn't done much with this.

To add, it means that fantasy based CC doesn't look ridiculous or creepy, and things can be easily transferred from more cartoony games or shows. I.E. I use a model rip of Illidan's horns in my game. I don't think it would like right in a realistic game like TS3, nor a game full of alpha CC, because Illidan's model is so cartoony.

XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • SuniroseSunirose Posts: 460 Member
    I must have been away too long, but what is an "alpha sim" and what does "uncanny valley real" mean?
  • MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    Sunirose wrote: »
    I must have been away too long, but what is an "alpha sim" and what does "uncanny valley real" mean?

Alpha is CC that's realistic - doesn't match the games art style. Uncanny Valley is a phenomenon that has existed well before The Sims, where non-human things that look very humanoid but something about them is wrong or slightly off, can induce fear in people.

Androids tend to be the biggest examples of this, a lot of people fear humanoid robots. But for a more fictional example, if you've ever seen the animated films The Polar Express or Mars Needs Moms, critics were critical on both those films for entering Uncanny Valley with their animation styles.
    XVlamuQ.png
  • misstiggermisstigger Posts: 15 Member
    I like both but I really only use alpha cc for cas and I don't have a lot of build/buy cc in my game.

It depends on what sort of look I am going for as to what I choose to use in my game. I have a small selection of CC as my computer doesn't run super well when I have a lot but I am very selective with what CC I download as if I am not 100% sold on how it looks it isn't something I will download for my game
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Personally, I like both.
    I love realistic hair, clothing, skin, makeup, etc. I use a mix of MM and realistic default eyes, and I found a very nice default MM skin that I use as well.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I prefer Maxis match. This is a game, and I'd rather it look like it. If I want to play with doing realistic art, I'll open Daz Studio.
  • lunasysimslunasysims Posts: 5,858 Member
    I like both! I think alpha hairs are especially beautiful, but I've also been having a lot of fun just playing vanilla. The biggest issue I have with CC is that it sort of distracts from appreciating the actual game. Even when I was strictly MM, I tended to gravitate toward custom content and rely solely on that when creating a Sim. By the time I was done in CAS and decorating a house, I usually had lost all interest in making an actual character and playing a storyline.
    Happiness is always just a plumbob away.
  • Patch__2008Patch__2008 Posts: 498 Member
    I like alpha clothes and makeup just because I like more options that match my style and aesthetic but I haven't ever really liked alpha hair a whole lot and I don't use any alpha skins because they just look weird in my opinion.
    ~Find Me On YouTube: My Channel~IG: katiesadie00~Twitter: katiesadie00~
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited May 2020
    Maxis Match. Personally, I really don't like the look of alpha. Just not a fan
    That being said, for my own game and not looking at others pictures/screencaps... I'd say none. I don't use CC at all. Tried it a couple times, not worth the hassle of downloading it so I removed it all.
  • delphiniadelphinia Posts: 16 Member
    When I first started using cc I used alpha mainly because when sims 4 first came out there was only really alpha cc. Since then Iʻve switched to maxis match and I much rather it. My game runs so much better and it just looks a lot nicer in game. I honestly really dislike how alpha looks now, it just looks so out of place in game especially when random townies appear with it on it just looks awful.
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    Maxis match all the way. Alpha hair and skin scares me.
  • BinBin Posts: 25 Member
    I use a mix of both. Usually Maxis match hair/skin and alpha everything else with some maxis match items. However I think Alpha can look really pretty at times if it's executed well.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Something in between. I don‘t like Maxis Match clay hair and cartoony look but I don‘t like the IG Baddie 356 surgery look neither.
  • Euphoria97Euphoria97 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm fine with both but I'd prefer alpha. Alpha hair always seems to glitch tho. Anyone got that weird blond highlight on their hairs before??
    https://dragcave.net/user/Add723
    CLICK THE LINKS! HELP ME RAISE MY DRAGONS!! o:)
  • Euphoria97Euphoria97 Posts: 33 Member
    although I need improvement on alpha sims making. How do ppl get the women's head so thin??? My sims male head always end up wide
    https://dragcave.net/user/Add723
    CLICK THE LINKS! HELP ME RAISE MY DRAGONS!! o:)
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • bryanovensbryanovens Posts: 41 Member
    I'm a big fan of Maxis Match, especially because Alpha content always looks weird in my world whenever my Sims interact with the NPCs, they always look so out of place. Also, I find it easier finding diverse CC clothing and hairstyles for men when I look for Maxis Match stuff. Although, it's hard enough finding male CC stuff in general
  • Patch__2008Patch__2008 Posts: 498 Member
    edited June 2020
    I, however, don't use a lot of CC so I've never had any issues with it in-game.
    ~Find Me On YouTube: My Channel~IG: katiesadie00~Twitter: katiesadie00~