Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quit Job For University?

My sim is in the scientist field and would like to get his "masters degree" at university. He's already making a decent amount of money, but he would like to further his education by attending school "part-time".

I guess this is not really possible, is it? My sims' class is right in the middle of his work day and he has to skip in order to attend class.
Is this the only way? Or should I just quit the job and hope that he makes more money when he applies again?
Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/

Comments

• CoffeecrumblecakeCoffeecrumblecake Posts: 6,549 Member
    My sim is in the actress career and did part-time with three classes a term, but I guess that's a little different. Sometimes, though, the class hours can accomodate work hours the same way they accomodate other classes. Especially if it's just one class a term, there's a chance you won't have to have your sim quit the job that makes him happy. Maybe have your sim enroll first without quitting, get your schedule, and then respond appropriately if there are conflicts? Hope that helped :)
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    My sim is in the actress career and did part-time with three classes a term, but I guess that's a little different. Sometimes, though, the class hours can accomodate work hours the same way they accomodate other classes. Especially if it's just one class a term, there's a chance you won't have to have your sim quit the job that makes him happy. Maybe have your sim enroll first without quitting, get your schedule, and then respond appropriately if there are conflicts? Hope that helped :)

Yeah, I had my sim leave work early and he got paid. But, it said "are you sure you want to leave early?" And saying his boss won't be happy. So far, I haven't seen any negative consequences... but we'll see. He might just have to get an actual part-time job so accommodate.
    O(≧▽≦)O

• AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    From what I can tell, the only way to have a job at university is to have one of the kinds where you can set your own schedule or work from home.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Missmagoo2 wrote: »
    My sim is in the scientist field and would like to get his "masters degree" at university. He's already making a decent amount of money, but he would like to further his education by attending school "part-time".

I guess this is not really possible, is it? My sims' class is right in the middle of his work day and he has to skip in order to attend class.
    Is this the only way? Or should I just quit the job and hope that he makes more money when he applies again?

I never tried, but I think it might be possible getting a degree without attending (all) classes. If he has say 3 vacation days and skip either class or work on the remaining 2 days per term, he can focus even harder on projects, term papers and building skills. And, he can take a break from Uni between terms to save up more vacation days. This all depends on how you play, time span, and if you might not want to take breaks between terms.

What I *did* experience is that not giving the presentation has no negative effect on your grade if you focus the more on the other ways to study. I don't think we need to do everything, but classes might count more than the project. I even had a student getting A despite forgetting to attend one final exam.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Taking vacation days works, the sim gets excused from work, but can still attend class.
    Don't call in sick though and do not let other household members write excuses for your working/student sim! I had a college student's mother write an excuse to his employer in the hopes he could save a vacation day that way, but the game excused him from work and at the same time didn't let him go to class.

Two mods that might help:
    http://modthesims.info/d/625263/scientist-career-graveyard-shift-and-gardening-fix.html
    Changes work shedule for scientists to early morning

http://modthesims.info/d/637945/quickly-check-course-performance.html
    Tells you what grade exactly your sim has at the moment (and if you can afford to skip class).
  • CoffeecrumblecakeCoffeecrumblecake Posts: 6,549 Member
    @Missmagoo2 let us know what happens!
    @Andiratyme My sim's an actress, not a freelancer or part-time jobber, and she's a part time university student. But I guess it is a little different, since she picks gigs from time to time rather than following a rigid 9:00-5:00 workday schedule.
    @Simmerville yeah my sim did two classes for three terms and three classes for two terms to fulfill the 12 class requirement needed for a diploma. It's totally possible to self-pace that way.
  • emiobixemiobix Posts: 88 Member
    I had a similar dilemma. My sim was a Botantist so although I could WFH, I ended up just quitting their job, completing university and then reapply for the same job. With the relevant degree I ended up starting at rank 8 I think, as well as starting on a higher salary so not a whole lot lost.

Good luck, let's us know what you end up doing!
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    You might want to get the Professional Slacker reward trait if you can afford it (4000 points). That should keep you from getting fired or demoted.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    @Missmagoo2 let us know what happens!
    @Andiratyme My sim's an actress, not a freelancer or part-time jobber, and she's a part time university student. But I guess it is a little different, since she picks gigs from time to time rather than following a rigid 9:00-5:00 workday schedule.
    @Simmerville yeah my sim did two classes for three terms and three classes for two terms to fulfill the 12 class requirement needed for a diploma. It's totally possible to self-pace that way.

Sorry, I ended up just quitting the job to go to university. I didn't want to risk anything and I figured he'd be paid more once he graduated. Maybe next time I'll try again and see what happens!
    O(≧▽≦)O

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    My Sims is also a scientist (at the top level). She attended the Uni by using up her paid leave. She already graduated & now, she's earning more than 15k per day. Since the term is every 5 days (7 days including the weekend), you can actually have him attends the class either alternately using his leaves or just take the unpaid leaves per term. Since they need to have at least 12 credits to graduate, you can actually either have 3 weeks or 4 weeks of Uni time depending on the vacation leaves that your Sims have. Else, you can always re-enrol the next term after you have enough leave to take.

Now, I'm planning to get her another degree at a different Uni. :D
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    Actor will work because it's like the freelance jobs or the work from home jobs.