Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Okay paint from reference gurus. I need help

TakissisTakissis Posts: 521 Member
I'm having an issue when trying to paint from reference to create some paintings. I've tried everything I know and I'm just getting frustrated.

When trying to paint from an adjacent lot, if I put the easel where all the guides say to put the easel and try to paint the image, I get major lighting issues. Most specifically (and the most annoying of which) I get a large nearly white block on about a quarter of the painting.

frustration_zpslxeyd5uj.png

I've tried different lots, different heights and sizes for the pictures, different times of day. clear skies, cloudy skies, day/night, adding lighting everything I can think of. The only work around I have found is to paint the next painting over instead. But this is problematic as well because that makes the painting angled and some just need to be squared on the canvas. Am I the only one with this problem? Does anyone have any solutions?

Comments

• Options
    Can I assume that no responses means that either no one else has this problem or that no one knows how to fix it?
  • Options
    shakerellashakerella Posts: 321 Member
    I have never tried this so I won't be much help. But since nobody has replied yet.. Are you top level in Painting in Photography? Only thing I can think of since you said you tried all times of day. Wish I could help!
    My Current Challenge: Drifter House Challenge
  • Options
    Thank you for responding. After 3 days of banging my head against the wall, I solved this about 4am this morning. The 6th different lot I tried did not have the lighting issue.
  • Options
    *bangs head on desk* A week....a trying to get this to work. Four days before this post and 3 days after. Finally get it to work. I go to bed...and it patches to make all of them CC......
  • Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    I'm really sorry for you... I don't understand why they decided to tag the custom paintings as cc.
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • Options
    FireFancyFireFancy Posts: 11 New Member
    I was really hoping to find more people talking about this new change ! :( Did they change it so that ALL custom paintings are flagged as custom content? Or just paintings of CC artwork?

I wanted to cheat up Bella Goth's painting skill and have her "paint from reference" a bunch of pictures of Mortimer Goth and her kids, and decorate the renovated mansion I made for her and upload it to the gallery. I was going to make it look like she had paintings from Forgotten Hollow, Glimmerbrook and Strangerville, as well as Willow Creek.

It's a base game renovation and I wanted to make up some fun storylines with the custom paintings!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    From what I understand, it is only paint from references of CC content, so you should be fine as long as you are painting pictures that actually came from the game. Now if you take screenshots, make the painting on your computer and the load it in as custom content, it will be flagged. But if you are actually going out and taking pictures then painting them, I think you will be okay.
  • Options
    FireFancyFireFancy Posts: 11 New Member
    @Takissis Thank you so much for clarifying! I really hope this is true. It's not that clear at all in the patch notes. I was just going to have a sim go around and take photos and then paint those, or have the sim go to the actual lots where i want her to paint from reference.

I only just discovered that users make custom paintings because of this patch, and It's such a shame that they're "fixing" this. I searched on the gallery and I think there's still a lot of artwork from before the patch that can still be downloaded. The things you creative people do is amazing!
  • Options
    LionessInMNLionessInMN Posts: 478 Member
    I am having no problem with artwork that my sims paint of actual game items. I did make custom artwork, buy it in build mode, and then had a sim paint it which flagged as cc so my custom art is in my game only and not in the houses I put on the gallery.