Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No hate, but how can a game from 2014 have such terrible AI?

2...Next

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,660 Member
    Seems like those examples would be easy to fix, but perhaps it's more complicated than we assume? I too am tired of how stupid the sims can be at times, in fact, I some times tell myself that it might be time for me to stop playing this game. It just gets to frustrating spending more of my gaming time stopping them from doing stupid stuff, than to actually have them do smart stuff.

My sims have became worse lately, probably over the past half year. Recently I see many of them, when hungry, grabbing spoiled food from their inventory rather than the fresh leftovers in the fridge. I normally don't place group meals in my sims' inventories, but you know when arriving a lot in the middle of the night there will ALWAYS be one household member busy BBQing, and often they don't even eat what they grill but put the entire serving in their inventory - and move on to do something else.

Also, when mopping the floor. They will continue to mop puddles anywhere else on the lot, on other stories, even outside on the terrace. Using the toilet might be queued, but you wanted them to mop the bathroom floor first, then it is very time consuming walking down 2 stories to mop one puddle on the terrace, before walking up again to use the toilet. I wish they would focus only on the floor they are currently. In fact, from their position they should not even know about the terrace puddle...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Seesin8Seesin8 Posts: 29 Member
    > @Huiiie_07 said:

I remember sims online, never got to play ( to young, strict parents) but when that wasn't a thing, I was sad.. I remember online platforms like IMVU (also not allowed to play) but all my friends did and I remembering asking if I could play Sims online as an alternative because they had already approved of sims... didn't work.. But now that I am older I believe there should be an online option.. for players like me who care for it and for the newer generation, to attract them, I want sims to continue.... Your opinion could also be respected by making the game optional as it usually is. Creating an option for players who want to go online doesn't mean EA will take away the original gameplay, its just a chance to add more fans.

Seesin8 (CC)
  • ElliDiLoElliDiLo Posts: 25 Member
    I'm just bothered by how unoriginal the Sims 4 are in how they react to things, despite their 'personalities'. Like, I have created an evil Sim but he acts the exact same way when greeting people, when flirting with people etc as the nice guy. Occasionally there's a stupid Mr Burns animation to "remind me" that he's evil.

I am not smart enough to figure out how I'd rather have them behave, but I've been playing a lot of DnD and perhaps a "chaotic neutral" "lawful evil"-system could inform the AI how to act in certain situations.
    3VzZSg1.jpg
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    The Sims 4's sim AI is basically the entire concept of jank personified. Sims getting random water when they have no thirst need and are already in the orange for bladder, the random way the game scatters your sims around the house when you come back from being off the lot with one of them, sims who were just arguing going straight into random friendly interactions, Toddlers trying to "run inside" when you're trying to read them to sleep during a thunder storm, all the high chair shenanigans...It's bad. Real bad. And the worst part is that one of the lines they used to advertise this game was "Smarter Sims."

TS2 has smarter sims than this. I trust my TS2 sims to go around with autonomy on and act somewhat smart if I don't check on them for a minute or two. I don't trust my TS4 sims to run around with autonomy on for even thirty seconds without checking to make sure they aren't getting random water or turning the radio on while they're supposed to be working...which wouldn't be a problem if multitasking anything didn't make both things take even longer. I can't just have my sims talk while eating like in TS2, because a meal takes two hours if sims are chatting it up. In TS2, they talked, they ate, they finished in a reasonable amount of time, and all was happy in the valley. Of all the things they did wrong in this game...I think the AI is the worst.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2020
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    The Sims 4's AI (abysmal intelligence) had always made me feel as if I were fighting the game to enjoy it. Sims ignored my interactions and just lack smarts.

Honestly, I just let it win that fight, and stopped playing. If my urge for Simming comes back, I'll certainly do what I have been, and go straight back to TS2 and TS3, which are definitively Sims games in the experiences they offer. Hopefully, when the world gets back on its feet, Maxis will too, and head straight to the planning board for The Sims 5.

I actually don't really want them to make a The Sims 5, probably because it's already being rumored that i's gonna be multiplayer (or atleast having a multiplayer component), which is already showing that they couldn't care less about listening to us, the players. Also me (and my parents) already spent too much money on both TS3 and TS4, going through this whole process again isn't really something I should have to do to get a modern, enjoyable sims game. I can understand though why you and other players rather want to move on to the next iteration instead of this one getting fixed. Sims 4 isn't for everybody, some players find it unenjoyable at its core, something no patches could fix. I personally just wish they would start looking more at what the players want to see in the game. Atleast here on the forums, a vast majority wants bug fixes, no new packs that could add onto the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I agree entirely, but I truly believe that pumping more money into The Sims 4 wastes more money than investing in a successor. Either way, I know I'm not buying a thing for The Sims 4 because developer communication and development quality are still just as horrid as it has been since 2014.

The Sims 4 released six years ago. We are running with the longest Sims game iteration, yet with the weakest foundation of all of them yet. The requests you, myself, and many others have, ranging from serious AI improvements, Sim improvements, world improvements, bug fixes, and more of the sort just amounts to the work comparable to making a whole new base game. And as I said in my previous post, I like TS2 and TS3 a lot, sometimes wishing each had more dev time. However, I think at some point, each game needs to end to allow for the next one to (hopefully) bring new, much-needed improvements. TS4's time is dragging too long for too little. I don't think The Sims 5 would fix everything, but I do believe a game planned as a single player life simulator from the get go is better than what they salvaged and tried running with for TS4.

And if they do design The Sims 5 as a multiplayer experience, at least the majority of us would know it's definitely time to jump ship.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2020
    The Sims 4's AI (abysmal intelligence) had always made me feel as if I were fighting the game to enjoy it. Sims ignored my interactions and just lack smarts.

Honestly, I just let it win that fight, and stopped playing. If my urge for Simming comes back, I'll certainly do what I have been, and go straight back to TS2 and TS3, which are definitively Sims games in the experiences they offer. Hopefully, when the world gets back on its feet, Maxis will too, and head straight to the planning board for The Sims 5.

I actually don't really want them to make a The Sims 5, probably because it's already being rumored that i's gonna be multiplayer (or atleast having a multiplayer component), which is already showing that they couldn't care less about listening to us, the players. Also me (and my parents) already spent too much money on both TS3 and TS4, going through this whole process again isn't really something I should have to do to get a modern, enjoyable sims game. I can understand though why you and other players rather want to move on to the next iteration instead of this one getting fixed. Sims 4 isn't for everybody, some players find it unenjoyable at its core, something no patches could fix. I personally just wish they would start looking more at what the players want to see in the game. Atleast here on the forums, a vast majority wants bug fixes, no new packs that could add onto the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I agree entirely, but I truly believe that pumping more money into The Sims 4 wastes more money than investing in a successor. Either way, I know I'm not buying a thing for The Sims 4 because developer communication and development quality are still just as horrid as it has been since 2014.

The Sims 4 released six years ago. We are running with the longest Sims game iteration, yet with the weakest foundation of all of them yet. The requests you, myself, and many others have, ranging from serious AI improvements, Sim improvements, world improvements, bug fixes, and more of the sort just amounts to the work comparable to making a whole new base game. And as I said in my previous post, I like TS2 and TS3 a lot, sometimes wishing each had more dev time. However, I think at some point, each game needs to end to allow for the next one to (hopefully) bring new, much-needed improvements. TS4's time is dragging too long for too little. I don't think The Sims 5 would fix everything, but I do believe a game planned as a single player life simulator from the get go is better than what they salvaged and tried running with for TS4.

And if they do design The Sims 5 as a multiplayer experience, at least the majority of us would know it's definitely time to jump ship.

I kinda have the bad feeling that with TS5, the game won't improve that much. Don't forget that TS4 is the best selling game of the entire franchise. Maxis/EA are still companies that live from making money. Now that they've seen that even a lacking game like TS4 can make them enough money, even more than its predecessors, I highly doubt they would put more care into TS5 when they could do the same or even more amount of money with less effort.
    To be honest, their biggest mistake was turning a failed online game into singleplayer in the last minute. They should have completely scrapped the game and tried again, building TS4 from scratch. It would have most likely turned out a much better game and we wouldn't have all these discussions now. I really hate to sound pessimistic here, but I really think that the only thing that could save TS5 from utter failure is a worthy competitor for The Sims franchise, which would force them to put more care into their games if they don't want to permanently lose their costumers like SimCity lost them to Cities:Skylines.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited April 2020

I kinda have the bad feeling that with TS5, the game won't improve that much. Don't forget that TS4 is the best selling game of the entire franchise. Maxis/EA are still companies that live from making money. Now that they've seen that even a lacking game like TS4 can make them enough money, even more than its predecessors, I highly doubt they would put more care into TS5 when they could do the same or even more amount of money with less effort.
    To be honest, their biggest mistake was turning a failed online game into singleplayer in the last minute. They should have completely scrapped the game and tried again, building TS4 from scratch. It would have most likely turned out a much better game and we wouldn't have all these discussions now. I really hate to sound pessimistic here, but I really think that the only thing that could save TS5 from utter failure is a worthy competitor for The Sims franchise, which would force them to put more care into their games if they don't want to permanently lose their costumers like SimCity lost them to Cities:Skylines.

Is it the best selling game because it's actually good or because the past few years it's been reduced to $10 and $5 repeatedly and even free for a couple of weeks last year? How many of those purchases were full priced? I'd like to know that information because if most of it is on sales, then I think it devalues their statement of "best selling of the franchise". Furthermore, TS2 for example, might have done better but not everyone back then even had home PC's yet. It's still selling too. I see it in my local used game shops and unless they keep pulling them off the shelves and then putting them back to make them look like they're moving, they are still selling and that's not anything that can be tracked.

I agree that The Sims needs competition. I think half the reason TS4 is in the state that it's in is because they have a monopoly. I think the other half is because modders are so dang good! They don't bother fixing bugs and other various issues because they know the modders have, so they can spend their time and money on other things and these things become less important because they know the fix is out there.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    YES! YES! YES!

This needed to be said plus so much more.
    The thing that's bugging me the most in gameplay rn is every single sim lining up to grill burgers on the home grill even when 3 or four different party meals are already on the picnic table. ESPECIALLY, when they are low on funds. Same with bars. We'll have 25 bucks in the household funds and if you blink, boom! 21 simoleons on a drink and it's like, 'great, it's a weekend. Where are you going to get the money for breakfast for your whole family tomorrow?'
    edited April 2020
    Camkat wrote: »

Is it the best selling game because it's actually good or because the past few years it's been reduced to $10 and $5 repeatedly and even free for a couple of weeks last year? How many of those purchases were full priced? I'd like to know that information because if most of it is on sales, then I think it devalues their statement of "best selling of the franchise". Furthermore, TS2 for example, might have done better but not everyone back then even had home PC's yet. It's still selling too. I see it in my local used game shops and unless they keep pulling them off the shelves and then putting them back to make them look like they're moving, they are still selling and that's not anything that can be tracked.

I agree that The Sims needs competition. I think half the reason TS4 is in the state that it's in is because they have a monopoly. I think the other half is because modders are so dang good! They don't bother fixing bugs and other various issues because they know the modders have, so they can spend their time and money on other things and these things become less important because they know the fix is out there.

I don't know, that's just what I've heard, but maybe because the games are always on sale, more people are willing to buy them? This would kinda compensate for the "lost money" through sales.

YES! YES! YES!

This needed to be said plus so much more.
    The thing that's bugging me the most in gameplay rn is every single sim lining up to grill burgers on the home grill even when 3 or four different party meals are already on the picnic table. ESPECIALLY, when they are low on funds. Same with bars. We'll have 25 bucks in the household funds and if you blink, boom! 21 simoleons on a drink and it's like, 'great, it's a weekend. Where are you going to get the money for breakfast for your whole family tomorrow?'

They shouldn't autonomously do anything that costs money tbh. A few of my sims even got on the computer to donate a 100§ to charity all on their own. At this time, I had enough money in the household funds, but I would've been so mad if my sims would've been left with 10§ or something just because they had to donate almost all of their money...did someone at Maxis really think that this is a good design decision?

I like to build stuff
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I get only frustration than an enjoyment from playing the sims4, i still remember i really need to talk to this sims or feed on them, but my sims only standing still waiting for those sims to walk at the edge of the map, then my sims started moving to them only for the action to be canceled as soon as my sims arrive on the target sim.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • VGN34DVGN34D Posts: 9 New Member
    This is why mods can do just that. The devs can try, though they sadly fall short of AI tweaking. My Sims doesn't know when to stay seated when having meals and would rather binge-watch TV while having their breakfast/lunch/dinner. It's a monotonous chore.
  • DylanJ10000DylanJ10000 Posts: 22 Member
    I always have Free Will set to the maximum. It's really interesting to leave a Sim to it's own devices, only to come back to find it in some amazingly horrible and hilarious predicament. xD
    I always have Free Will set to the maximum. It's really interesting to leave a Sim to it's own devices, only to come back to find it in some amazingly horrible and hilarious predicament. xD

They kinda do the same stuff all over again I noticed. And that's not just in TS4, my TS3 sims also always do the same (though less annoying) stuff when left to their devices. Atleast I can trust the latter to feed themselves though.

Btw, I just witnessed another horrible case of bad AI yesterday. My sim had a roommate who for some reason peed himself all the time and didn't go to the toilet, despite a perfectly working toilet being in the completely accessible bathroom only a few meters away from him. He then complained that he can't fill his basic needs at my place and left :D

I like to build stuff
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

The Sims 4 may be the best selling because it remains the most accessible Sims game yet. No other Sims game has received as many big discounts as frequently as it, nor has ever gone free to play during its development.

There is no telling what it'll take to light the fire underneath Maxis, but banking on the series improving with competitors challenging them may not be the wisest. Cities: Skylines came out and rightfully took the crown of city simulators, however, EA/Maxis' response was to take all of SimCity's assets and port it into a mobile, F2P, cash-grabbing app rather than try to compete. I have zero doubts they will do the same with The Sims. Who knows, it may be heading there, either way.

And I will add, there is seriously an insanely huge difference between the way the developers and company view The Sims versus the way other companies view/treat their own IPs. I cannot stress how much of a difference I am talking about, judging from recent releases that I've played.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Calling it a best seller is marketing talk. Completely disregards the fact Sims 4 is the easiest game to get seeing how it’s many times it (and it’s DLC) goes on sale. They were discounting Sims 4 all the way back in 2014 so it’s not surprising that they moved a lot of copies while it was cheap. It’s more than a little disingenuous to turn around and act like unit sales of a discounted product are something to write home about when you had to discount your game to move said units.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Calling it a best seller is marketing talk. Completely disregards the fact Sims 4 is the easiest game to get seeing how it’s many times it (and it’s DLC) goes on sale. They were discounting Sims 4 all the way back in 2014 so it’s not surprising that they moved a lot of copies while it was cheap. It’s more than a little disingenuous to turn around and act like unit sales of a discounted product are something to write home about when you had to discount your game to move said units.

So true! I was in Origin just browsing (before going on a long session of TS3 play) and looked to see what was on sale. The ONLY games on sale was TS4 and its packs!!! So I check every few days - its seems TS4 and its packs are ALWAYS on sale. Another thing to note - they still sell TS3 and it is rarely ever on sale. Something to think about!

So true! I was in Origin just browsing (before going on a long session of TS3 play) and looked to see what was on sale. The ONLY games on sale was TS4 and its packs!!! So I check every few days - its seems TS4 and its packs are ALWAYS on sale. Another thing to note - they still sell TS3 and it is rarely ever on sale. Something to think about!

They probably don't put TS3 on sale to discourage players from buying it (which is kind of weird move). Don't credit me on it, but I've heard multiple times that the devs were subtly bashing TS3 while introducing new packs for TS4 on multiple occasions.

I like to build stuff
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

They probably don't put TS3 on sale to discourage players from buying it (which is kind of weird move). Don't credit me on it, but I've heard multiple times that the devs were subtly bashing TS3 while introducing new packs for TS4 on multiple occasions.

You know, I don't understand that. I would think every bit of money coming in for the corporation would be good, even if it's from an older iteration. *Shrug* <bewildered>

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    If we were talking about rational people. Strong sales of older versions exposes more players to them, and invites comparison of old to new. What would happen to their precious TS4 cash cow if folks jumped ship for TS3? Just trying to probe their rationale.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2020

While they bash the very game they produced and that is not very good and shows me they do not put their heart soul into anything they make and do not stand behind the product and Sim City 2013 is an example of that.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen