Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Extra knitting activity - preparing those yarns

I'm not into the correct wording here, but I recall when I was a child, my grandmother would ask my to stick both my arms out, then she hang a huge "bundle" of yarn on my arms, and started winding it up to the balls of yarn, that is more practical to knit from. So, I wondered if this pre-activity could be added as a social activity involving 2 sims? With (grand)children or adult friends, children/teen could get some responsibility points from helping (might work better with teens, due to height).

When buying yarn we could choose between ball (ready to go) or "bundle" that would require this pre-activity (a bit cheaper I think).

just a thought as it would be fun if the knitting could be a bit more than "just knit". For single sims it would involve some planning, too :)
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    It is a fun idea. I mean, I always make a center-pull ball by myself, just winding it directly from the skein to the ball, but I work with commercial skeins (and not wool, since I'm mildly allergic - for me there is no such thing as soft wool.)

So there are ways to do it as a single sim, and ways to do it as a pair activity too.
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    im a fan of using my yarn swift (the umberella like contraption) and a yarn winder to make my skeins of yarn in to cakes of yarn before knitting. Id love to have a yarn swift in the game even if it was just a deco object, as its an essential bit of knitting kit to me!

this....
    8SJkTGg.jpg

...turns a skein.....
    SuZmQab.jpg

...in to a cake!
    lOGSoxv.jpg
  • Hallie22Hallie22 Posts: 64 Member
    Yes I had mentioned a yarn swift as well, but I didn't see it with the build/buy stuff.
  • Hallie22Hallie22 Posts: 64 Member
    And dyeing yarns would be nice too.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Hallie22 wrote: »
    And dyeing yarns would be nice too.

Maybe this can be added with a future farming ep? *hoping*
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    Could tie in a potential future farming ep with sheep, shear for fleece, spin the fleece for yarn, dye the yarn, knit it. One can dream...
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    I like the idea of balling up yarn by hand and a yarn swift! I've used both to wind up my skeins.
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    edited April 2020
    I still wind my yarn by hand, but the yarn swift and ball winder looks really great. I love your yarn color @annalephant