Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Need To Whine

Yesterday, through no fault of my own, I couldn't get into my game as early as I wished to. My email server is totally making my life miserable. I spent way too much time trying to cull the emails I had no interest in and the email server was making that quite the chore. Nearly an impossible feat. (I refuse to pay for an 'upgrade' for one, and I'm certain there is a Gremlin in the works, but that is beside my point.) Today, my browser is giving me fits, too. The response time is too slow and so I can't get into some sites. Face/palm. And Origin refuses to let me in. I even restarted my computer hoping that would help. But, when Origin did open it told me I was in offline mode, when I specifically switched back to online prior to shutting things down yesterday late afternoon. Not only that but my library of games is empty. Not terribly worried, this happened once before, quite some time ago and everything was recovered.

But, here I sit whining and today is not a Wine & Oil day, as this is the last week of Great Lent. (My Church is a week behind the Western Christian Churches, this year. Our Holy Week is next week.) But, I digress.

I know many people are on lock-down. I'm not alone but I'm starting to wear thin, it's also rather discomfiting to hear that my County Mayor just extended us until 7 May! Now, I can't even distract myself by playing my game. Give me a BREAK. No church, no D.A.R. meetings, no Writer's Group and for the moment no Sims. :open_mouth:

I would add to the "What Happened in your Game Today" thread, but imjur is one of the sites I can't get into! I'm up a certain kind of creek without a paddle.

Just needing a little tea & sympathy, here. I'm a Loner, by Trait, but even I have had enough solitude to last me for months! I would look to see if the Adam Sandler/Jimmie Fallon "Don't Touch Grandma" is on YouTube, but I'm betting I won't even be able to get on that site!

Somebody, please, talk me down off of this wall!

~GalacticGal

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

Comments

• DaKaptenDaKapten Posts: 385 Member
    Hi, I am a new member here. But just like you I am a bit of a loner myself. I don't have a lockdown in my country, but I can relate to how it feels when everything is out of balance. I hope you will find your solid ground again.
    Ps. Not to be a creep but i have seen some of your stories and I absolutely love them. o:)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,286 Member
    DaKapten wrote: »
    Hi, I am a new member here. But just like you I am a bit of a loner myself. I don't have a lockdown in my country, but I can relate to how it feels when everything is out of balance. I hope you will find your solid ground again.
    Ps. Not to be a creep but i have seen some of your stories and I absolutely love them. o:)

Thank you so much, and that's not being a creep at all. Writers love feedback. You just made my day. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    In your situation it would help to find alternate activities that do not involve being connected to the internet like reading, cleaning, apply fresh polish to your nails, catch up on sleep while your internet provider fixes connectivity issues.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    I know how you feel, the isolation starts to drag and get to you.

When those Origin servers were down and everyones game libraries were blank last time you could play the sims by right clicking on the origin icon in the task bar and choosing Sims 4 from recent

Also, is your writers group or a similar one. holding online meetings, or have a forum?

But as crocobaura says, maybe step back fromtthe computer for a couple of hours and read a book.

Keep strong!
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I feel your pain, although I created a shortcut to my game and now I don't have to rely soley on Origin to get into my game.

A couple of weeks ago when Origin was obviously overloaded and went down, I tried to read a book. It doesn't help when all you want to do is play your game. :(
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    It's okay @GalacticGal. Just like our precious pixelated friends in our favorite game we get tense sometimes and need to vent our frustrations. It's normal and I hope sharing made you feel at least a little bit better. People are almost real sims... wait, I think I'm mixing that up... :)
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I'm right there with ya. I'm also a loner and having the whole family cooped up in the house invading my personal space is driving me up the wall. I can only imagine what it would be like if I couldn't play my game. It will be over soon(hopefully) and we can all get back to our lives and look back on this time like a distant bad dream. Hope you get your game back soon. :)
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    I keep telling myself, even though we don't know when this will blow over, it will eventually blow over. Everyday we get through is one day closer to the end. I'm a homebody so the staying home part doesn't get to me though.

As for Origin, I've had a little issue/glitch with it as well. It logs me in in offline mode too. Usually, I can sign in again and it's fine. Have you tried downloading Origin, or is it another site you're having problems with?
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Us loners have to stick together.. hehe.
    Anyway, I hope you get that game working again soon. You can always organize those sim picture folders, and outline or daydream about your next sim story ... or keep doing what you are doing. At least your browser is letting you come here.
    It's weird, the lockdown is almost a relief for me and I find myself doing more projects cause I'm not threatened with the expectation to leave my house and yard.
    Today's project for me is making some cloth face masks for when I have to go do the necessary stuff. I also thank goodness for podcasts, lots of great stuff out there to listen too... sometimes I listen to them through my television when I can't be near the computer.
    egTcBMc.png
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm going down the opposite route. Before the coronavirus changed our lives, I was working three days a week and learning to play the piano on the other two days, then weekends were saved for TS4. Now I'm isolated I'm on TS4 all day, every day. The game's addictive but probably bad for me.
  • KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    I actually like to be alone and I'm not normally comfortable around groups of more than two or three people at a time, so isolation is not stressing me. For once I actually have plenty of time to play the Sims but I find that I can't really get any enjoyment out of it. It's almost as if I just can't lose myself in a virtual world when the real world Is in such dire shape. @GalacticGal you could have my online capabilities if that were possible! Hopefully this will be over in a few months and we can return to some sense of normalcy.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    edited April 2020
    Here ya go... *hands over cup of tea and jam doughnut*

It is not nice to be having 'one of those days' but you could always amuse yourself with one of the following:

1. Make a sim photo album in PowerPoint or another software program using available screenshots
    2. Plan a new storyline with character details and plotlines
    3. Design a building to make when you can get back into your game
    4. Hang out in the off chat section and comment on every available thread
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    We can get through this. Hang in there! From what I understand the USA hasn't even peaked yet.

I have an "essential" job so I have to go to work. Over 3 million applied for unemployment in one week. (USA)

There isn't much traffic going to and from work. That's a good thing! My hands are rough because of all gloves, the hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes. My glasses fog up when I wear a mask. We have to wear them if we talk to a coworker go enter common areas. The best thing for me is that I am still alive!

I am thankful for all the health care workers. I am thankful that I can work. Many can't work and what I do at my job helps them.

Coping with social distancing is hard for everyone in some way or another.
    I do miss my family. No Sunday dinners with my kids and grandkids. No birthday party for the little ones.

When I feel down I just google "positive news". I read that families somewhere are using a hi low lift to visit with elderly family members at a multi level assisted living facility. They use the lift to talk to each other through an open window while still maintaining a social distance. The grandmother was so happy to see her family. I cried!

We can do this!
    edited April 2020
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I feel your pain, although I created a shortcut to my game and now I don't have to rely soley on Origin to get into my game.

A couple of weeks ago when Origin was obviously overloaded and went down, I tried to read a book. It doesn't help when all you want to do is play your game. :(

I know what you're saying. My Sims are three days away from graduation and getting on with their lives! I tried to get them there yesterday afternoon, but for two things. !) My eyes start getting all bleary and 2) Hubby was home and was cooking dinner for me. The least I could do was go downstairs when he let me know it was ready. Who knew the Gremlins would be out today? :open_mouth:
    I keep telling myself, even though we don't know when this will blow over, it will eventually blow over. Everyday we get through is one day closer to the end. I'm a homebody so the staying home part doesn't get to me though.

As for Origin, I've had a little issue/glitch with it as well. It logs me in in offline mode too. Usually, I can sign in again and it's fine. Have you tried downloading Origin, or is it another site you're having problems with?

I was keeping up with all of the updates and not long ago things went kaflooey on me. I got a notice that EA is no longer supporting Windows 7. I did the only thing I could think of. I rolled back to another setpoint on my computer, to a date when I knew I was able to play my game. Things were going just fine. I think I'm going to have to upgrade to Windows 10, however. I know I can play the Sims4 on the OS because I've played on my new laptop and that's the OS that came with it. I just hate Win 10, though. Oh, well.

As for my Internet, these people need to be allowed to go back to work. They're clogging up the system worse than when the kids were out for Spring Break. LOL

@elanorbreton I actually did better than those great suggestions you had. I have been putting-off making a PDF file of my latest novel to send to a couple of relatives. So, with the pages on Front Matters printed out, I slowly began making that file. I'm adding maps and stuff to that front matter, so that those who aren't familiar with the area in question can have a clue. Then I couldn't find the copies of the maps I'd shared over at my Sevier family Facebook page and went there to recapture them. I love that right click. Then I got hung up there for a bit. I didn't realize my little rant thread had gained so many responses until just moments ago. I'm going to have to try the one about right clicking on Origin to see if I can at least get in. So frustrating to be so close to where I was in the older save, (only having a much better time of it) but not being able to advance today. I don't and haven't worked outside of the home for most of my married life. I am the quintessential Homebody.

I am a Loner. But there is a HUGE difference between opting to stay home and being TOLD to stay home. When it's my idea, I begrudge anything that takes me out of the house. The sad effect is that now the walls are slowly closing in on me. LOL I do need to come up for air upon occasion. Even in the heat and passion of writing a novel. My Beagles are sweet (when they want to be) but they're not big on conversation. Their way of greeting me good morning, is to lick me in the ear. Ewww. Again, thank you for the great suggestions!

@AnnLee87 Thank you for the pep talk. I really needed that. My husband's job has been deemed essential. He's an EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineer) and apparently, they are going to be doing those essential tests on some ventilator units. Yay!

My eldest son works for a grocery store. He mostly takes the online purchases and gathers up the order for the customer. Silly young man (he just turned 40) smokes like a house on fire. I pray for him, daily. All I can do is look upward. God is in charge, not me. His Will be done!
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Yep, you're allowed to vent. It's very aggro making when you want to play and can't due to things out of your control.

Re: internet connectivity problems: I really hate it when people say this to me but Have you tried unplugging your modem, waiting for ten secs and plugging it back in, making it go through a hard reboot? They get balky and need a hard reset sometimes.

If the modem reboot doesn't help, I second the suggestion to dig out some other hobbies and activities you've set aside or neglected. Do you write outside of The Sims? Are you a reader? Have a sewing project you can work on? Drawing, painting, music? Yoga or tai chi? Do you play any other computer games that do not require an internet connection? Puzzles or solitaire using a real deck of cards. Start a garden in pots or your back yard? Sort out that one closet, yeah, that one, with who knows what lurking way back in there? ;) Do you have some friends you can ring up and chat with?

• Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    Yesterday, through no fault of my own, I couldn't get into my game as early as I wished to. My email server is totally making my life miserable. I spent way too much time trying to cull the emails I had no interest in and the email server was making that quite the chore. Nearly an impossible feat. (I refuse to pay for an 'upgrade' for one, and I'm certain there is a Gremlin in the works, but that is beside my point.) Today, my browser is giving me fits, too. The response time is too slow and so I can't get into some sites. Face/palm. And Origin refuses to let me in. I even restarted my computer hoping that would help. But, when Origin did open it told me I was in offline mode, when I specifically switched back to online prior to shutting things down yesterday late afternoon. Not only that but my library of games is empty. Not terribly worried, this happened once before, quite some time ago and everything was recovered.

But, here I sit whining and today is not a Wine & Oil day, as this is the last week of Great Lent. (My Church is a week behind the Western Christian Churches, this year. Our Holy Week is next week.) But, I digress.

I know many people are on lock-down. I'm not alone but I'm starting to wear thin, it's also rather discomfiting to hear that my County Mayor just extended us until 7 May! Now, I can't even distract myself by playing my game. Give me a BREAK. No church, no D.A.R. meetings, no Writer's Group and for the moment no Sims. :open_mouth:

I would add to the "What Happened in your Game Today" thread, but imjur is one of the sites I can't get into! I'm up a certain kind of creek without a paddle.

Just needing a little tea & sympathy, here. I'm a Loner, by Trait, but even I have had enough solitude to last me for months! I would look to see if the Adam Sandler/Jimmie Fallon "Don't Touch Grandma" is on YouTube, but I'm betting I won't even be able to get on that site!

Somebody, please, talk me down off of this wall!

~GalacticGal

GalacticGal, you are not the only one that is having problems logging in and being told you are offline. I have been fighting that also. I think the reason we are having problems with other sites is that sites are being over whlembed with everyone being stuck at home. I know it is extreamly frustrating. Sending you a hug sweetie
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
    Catzilla wrote: »
    Yep, you're allowed to vent. It's very aggro making when you want to play and can't due to things out of your control.

Re: internet connectivity problems: I really hate it when people say this to me but Have you tried unplugging your modem, waiting for ten secs and plugging it back in, making it go through a hard reboot? They get balky and need a hard reset sometimes.

If the modem reboot doesn't help, I second the suggestion to dig out some other hobbies and activities you've set aside or neglected. Do you write outside of The Sims? Are you a reader? Have a sewing project you can work on? Drawing, painting, music? Yoga or tai chi? Do you play any other computer games that do not require an internet connection? Puzzles or solitaire using a real deck of cards. Start a garden in pots or your back yard? Sort out that one closet, yeah, that one, with who knows what lurking way back in there? ;) Do you have some friends you can ring up and chat with?

Thank you for reminding me I could simply unplug the modem. It's working, to some degree, obviously, so that's probably why I didn't think to do it. But, as I stated above, I decided to do something I have been putting-off for some time. (And no, it's NOT that closet, although one day i will have to face it.) :/ I also thought about laying down the 'blue prints' for a new castle for my family to live in. I love the one I've been using, but, this is a brand new save and that calls for a few changes. Hopefully, tomorrow will bring me into the game. I see it's getting close to 5 PM here. I'll try the trick to see if I can get into Origin. Then I have a few other things to do before the day wraps up.

Many thanks to ALL of you for your kind words and suggestions. Tomorrow is another day (to borrow from Scarlet O'Hara).
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I'm so sorry you're having an awful day. Nothing wears on the nerves more than having problems with a computer and nothing you do helps. Today I'm doing a bit of fancy footwork hoping to dodge the latest Windows10 update. The last one had me cussing like a dock worker for two days until I was able to fix our four laptops and four desktops so I totally understand your frustrations.

Watching the news is tricky these days. The amount of misinformation out there, combined with the fact no one seems to know what to do about the economy tanking, has everyone on edge. We need our distractions more than ever right now. We don't need roadblocks keeping us from enjoying the things that make us happy and soothes our nerves. Thankfully, I am basically an introvert, but even I am feeling the effects of this stay at home order, and the need to practice social distancing. I miss my family. Nothing replaces the feeling of hugging a grandchild or your own kids even though they're all grown up. It has been very difficult for me in that respect.

But this could be much worse than it is. At least that's what everyone is saying. LOL But the sooner this is all over with, the better I'll feel. We can't help but feel isolated and alone because we are social creatures. We weren't built to be confined and cut off from our respective herds. So there are a lot of adjustments to be made as we learn how to cope with this new normal way of life. This has made me realize how much I cherish my family and friends. I miss going out to dinner at our favorite place, having a fun day with my two besties, going shopping in a store where no one has to wear a mask or stand six feet away from me. And I will never take all of that for granted again.

I truly hope you find a way to get back to our favorite distraction soon, GalacticGal. I enjoy reading all your stories about your Super Star Sim. The two of you have had many ups and downs, and I can't wait to hear what happens next. :D
  • CoffeecrumblecakeCoffeecrumblecake Posts: 6,549 Member
    I know exactly how you feel @GalacticGal. I haven't had any email mishaps, but my schoolwork keeps getting in the way of my Game&Chill time... even. in. lockdown!! I'm a loner too, so it's not specifically the social isolation part that's getting to me; plus I'm a new user who finds this forum super helpful to connect with other gamers especially in these times. Just the part where the school system still feels the need to penetrate the lives of students even when hardship is hitting the world!
    P.S.: The bright side to your situation is, even though I'm sure your game will totally be recovered, it's always refreshing to start new households and stories. You know?
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    It's not whining, it's venting and most of us it seems get exactly where you're coming from. If you're stuck for a good book, Phil Rickman writes some really dark murder mysteries they are very good, or Niel Gaiman (always good) past horror and fantasy though I'm a bit stuck for suggestions. Hopefully you're back on your game now and the problems resolved, if not, I hope you find something to pass the time soon :)
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I think I would have a bubble bath and a nice chianti.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    @GalacticGal You can play offline. I put a shortcut on my 'desktop'. As you can see here, from this screenshot, I am a bit of a nerd, lol! :D
    I haven't been playing other games lately for about a couple months than Sims 4. To be honest.

KluPTM0.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png