Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which camera do you prefer in the Sims 4?

Comments

• ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Sims 4 Camera
    The TS3 camera controls exactly (or almost exactly) like the TS2 camera, which is why I prefer it to the TS4 camera. I don't know what they were thinking, switching up the controls like that. They know that camera angles and controls are a make-or-break thing in any game with 3D graphics, they've known since 1995. Why would they change up a perfectly good camera control scheme for a wonky, awkward one? -_-;

That’s why TS3 camera is an option...?
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Sims 3 Camera
    I wouldn’t choose to use a camera that restricts movement.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    Sims 4 Camera
    I'm more 3 dimensional thinking so probably why I like the Sims 4 camera over the flat Sims 3 one. Although, for more 2 dimensional moving around, I suppose it's much better. More of a person on the ground point of view all the time.

I will have to try the Sims 3 cam though in build mode, as getting in close to a room like a little bathroom to put in stuff like towels and toilet paper is tricky. Thanks for mentioning that!

If I could vote for the Tab camera. That's my favorite for getting up-close 'perfect' screenshot angles.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Sims 4 Camera
    Maybe it's because I started with Sims 4 and don't know all the tricks, but Sims 3 camera requires more keyboard use than I like for casually playing. I do use it a lot when building, though (it does have better fine control, but I haven't learned how to control it as tightly as I'd like.)
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Sims 3 Camera
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I started with Sims 4 and don't know all the tricks, but Sims 3 camera requires more keyboard use than I like for casually playing. I do use it a lot when building, though (it does have better fine control, but I haven't learned how to control it as tightly as I'd like.)

How does the TS3 camera require more keyboard control? Not trying to be rude, just asking, because I never use the keyboard while moving the camera around.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
    edited April 2020
    Sims 4 Camera
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

How does the TS3 camera require more keyboard control? Not trying to be rude, just asking, because I never use the keyboard while moving the camera around.

I can't get it to rotate without using the keyboard. It's probably me missing how to do it, because it's not like there's a tutorial on using the Sims 3 camera in the Sims 4 game.

I also find myself trying to drag the view like in Sims 4 in other CG programs where I know how to adjust the view with the mouse, I just forget after playing Sims 4 for a while.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Sims 3 Camera

I can't get it to rotate without using the keyboard. It's probably me missing how to do it, because it's not like there's a tutorial on using the Sims 3 camera in the Sims 4 game.

I also find myself trying to drag the view like in Sims 4 in other CG programs where I know how to adjust the view with the mouse, I just forget after playing Sims 4 for a while.

You can rotate the camera by pressing down the scroll wheel and moving the mouse at the same time. I guess it's kinda difficult to figure out if you haven't played TS3 before. After years of playing TS3, I couldn't get used to the TS4 camera at all and didn't know how to rotate with it as well :D
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
    edited April 2020
    Sims 4 Camera

You can rotate the camera by pressing down the scroll wheel and moving the mouse at the same time. I guess it's kinda difficult to figure out if you haven't played TS3 before. After years of playing TS3, I couldn't get used to the TS4 camera at all and didn't know how to rotate with it as well :D

My scroll wheel doesn't depress. I use a trackball, which is probably a lot of why the TS3 camera doesn't work right for me.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Sims 3 Camera
    The camera controls for Sims 2&3 are nearly identical. I didn't want to adjust to new controls after so long and I'm glad I didn't have to.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    Sims 4 Camera
    From my perspective observation it seems more like, "what you are used to".
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

edited April 2020
    Sims 4 Camera
    For example, if one is 'used to' putting a car into automatic and only have to worry about the gas pedal and brake, instead of a more 'complicated' way of using the clutch, brake, gas, and shift gears manually, which takes both feet and both hands, (One hand on the steering wheel, one hand on the gear shift, on foot on the clutch, one foot alternating on the brake and gas pedal.)

Of course you could drive your car with your phone! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKAME9fAA-4
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    edited April 2020
    Sims 4 Camera
    There was a survey like this recently. I was surprised that so many liked the Sims 3 camera better. And now I'm still surprised :D. Back then (long time ago!) I decided to try the Sims 3 camera. Well yesterday I finally (!) did. Probably it is a matter of getting used to it, but uhhh... no! I can't get used to the Sims 3 camera at all! :s:#

Funny - and I can't remember that at all - that the Sims 2 one is similar to the Sims 4 one.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Sims 4 Camera
    Sim 3 camera for photos, Sims 4 camera for normal gameplay.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • gallerysims4gallerysims4 Posts: 267 Member
    Sims 4 Camera
    @AngelEb95 I agree. I only use the Sims 3 camera if I need a particular angle for a Simstagram photo.
    Feel free to check out my Instagram where I post pictures of my Sims 4 Legacy at https://instagram.com/gallery.sims4

Check out some Weekly CAS Challenges here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/976290/weekly-cas-challenges

My SimLit Stories: https://gallerysims4.wixsite.com/simlit
  • CoffeecrumblecakeCoffeecrumblecake Posts: 6,549 Member
    Sims 3 Camera
    I've honestly totally gotten used to the Sims 4 camera on my PC, but I used to be pretty adept at the Sims 3 camera on the Wii back in the good old days haha.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited April 2020
    Sims 3 Camera
    I use to get sooooooo frustrated with the camera in sims 4 like why is it so stuck in one angle!! (In build mode) and so awkward live.
    And horrible for taking pictures. I forgot how I found the sims 3 camera one day but I fell in love. It has the ability to make me feel like I'm there in the world. Plus awesome screenshots. <3
    Post edited by Babykittyjade on
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Sims 3 Camera
    Yesterday, I tried the sims 4 camera, and found the angles are restricted and uncomfortable to use. I feel like I'm in my sims' house together with the sims 3 camera.
    Sims 4 Camera
    It's probably something like this:
    OWnQtyd.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• 3cheersforkilljoys3cheersforkilljoys Posts: 17 New Member
    Sims 3 Camera
    i havent played sims 3 like lots of other who chose that cam do/did but my game set to that by default when i first started (before i knew there was an option for ts4 cam) so i just kinda got used to it.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Sims 3 Camera
    I think I turned on TS3 camera for building at one time (more than a year ago), and I kinda didn't change it back. Had to look now, and its still set to TS3 camera. After years with TS3, I got used to it. TS4 camera just felt clunky.
  • PearLadyPearLady Posts: 207 Member
    Sims 4 Camera
    Sort of not surprised by the results (more people using sims 3 one). I picked 4 because it is easier for me to use overall and I like the angle. (Playing in 3, I got slightly annoyed by this once. LOL) But, I don't normally use a mouse while playing, so that may have something to do with my decision. I have every once in a while used 3 in build mode for fine object turning, but when the view starts pulling to the edge, it starts annoying me and end up switching back. :blush:
    Don't anger the fruit. It may make her toot (at you). ;)
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    Sims 4 Camera
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

I read that the Sims 3 camera is better for taking pictures. I tested it again yesterday, but I honestly don't see any difference. If I press the tab key, I can move around in both cameras equally free. Or am I missing something?
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Sims 4 Camera
    Busufu wrote: »
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

I read that the Sims 3 camera is better for taking pictures. I tested it again yesterday, but I honestly don't see any difference. If I press the tab key, I can move around in both cameras equally free. Or am I missing something?

I think some people don't use tab key for pictures. I love it and always use it.
  • LylindLylind Posts: 31 Member
    Sims 3 Camera
    I use the Sims 3 camera because when I first tried the Sims 4, I wanted to play really badly and the new camera (Sims 4) confused the heck out of me, so I quickly went into the options, changed it back to Sims 3 and never touched it again (I guess I just stopped thinking about the other camera being an option).
    ~ In her own little world ~
    ○ ○ ○
    • Let me tell you a story ~ my blog
    • Memory hoarder ~ tumblr
  • SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    Sims 3 Camera
    Lylind wrote: »
    I use the Sims 3 camera because when I first tried the Sims 4, I wanted to play really badly and the new camera (Sims 4) confused the heck out of me, so I quickly went into the options, changed it back to Sims 3 and never touched it again (I guess I just stopped thinking about the other camera being an option).

This is exactly what happened to me. 😊
    Origin ID: Bosslady216