Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Think I'm Going to Leave the Forums

124...Next

Comments

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    I agree that this is a particularly negative forum, with some vocal people would would never be happy. I don't think this is the community, as if they got their way most people wouldn't play. I presume their unhappiness reflects real life unhappiness, with nostalgia, need for close families, dislike of young adults etc. They pine for the past, but I think if any of the wit of previous versions came here they'd probably complain.

The folding bed thing was an eye opener. I presumed they were upset about the lack of folding beds in Discover University because they were a key part of university life in the US. When I realised that they aren't and that it was just because they were in a previous university pack I just didn't understand. You just want updated versions of the same old stuff?

When you do an iteration, everyone expects that it will be the previous version, but better. The point about folding beds was the fact that they were an interactable furniture item that you could use in multiple environments that we used to be given in an expansion pack, but now said expansion pack just comes with less stuff. So we pay more, we get less.

I didn't lose my ability to enjoy simulation games, new games, or even sims games. I just find The Sims 4 to be shallow, filled with bugs and piece-mealed.

I have tried and tried and tried to give feedback. As I felt ignored I moved on back to playing The Sims 2 and 3, got myself Cities Skylines, Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo, Two Point Hospital, Garden Paws, Stardew Valley and a whole bunch of other simulationy/ casual games. And it worked.

If The Sims 5 is no good, I know of at least 2 other life simulation games in development that may fill the void. Unfortunately, I feel like EA will do with The Sims the same as they did with Simcity - "Oh, there's competition now? We need to try harder? Let's just scrap the franchise!".
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Now I just come here to read the Patch news and to see if there is any Twitter news I've missed. I'm still getting enjoyment from my game but in the current situation just want to keep positive. I've left several times!
  • herdarkpassengerherdarkpassenger Posts: 105 Member
    edited April 2020
    I've been wondering recently about the influx of pure whinging and being rude that TS4 brought on and its relation to the player's age. When I started playing I was 8 years old, and that was TS1. I wasn't on forums but I spent oodles of time downloading CC until I broke my game. When my sister passed me her copy of TS2 once she got TS3, I never got on forums (also stopped downloading CC for fear of busting my game). I played TS2 entirely offline for YEARS and enjoyed every inch of it (or at least, what I knew of. I found out there was a bunch I never even did). I skipped TS3 completely. Why? I thought the Sims looked doughy and I didn't like the aesthetic. I never complained about it, it didn't hurt anyone that I didn't play it. I kept on TS2.

When TS4 came out I was very excited. And honestly, there were a good amount of years I wasn't actually all that into it. It did lack things! Toddlers, pools etc. I was bummed but just decided to not play. My sister (who started this whole obsession), refused to play TS4 for those reasons (and didn't enjoy the style) until about last year when much of the content was already released. I'd come back to the game here and there for a while but always got a little bored. Relationship decay really punched a hole in my rotational play. It also meant I wasn't buying as many packs because as they released, I wasn't even playing so why bother? (I've always had all the packs.) After my interest was piqued again with the RoM pack I went on a purchasing spree (after it was released).

I guess the point of what I'm trying to get across is that I think the view on the game has a lot to do with age. I never used to buy the game myself, it was given to me and I had no concept of anything outside of what was offered to me (beyond putting new objects into my game, weeee!) Now that I have the purchasing power and work in software development myself as QA, I have way more sympathy. Not only that, but I'm guessing if players started young, regardless of which version of the game, they are craving the nostalgia that was brought to them in their childhood now that they are adults. That is a very difficult thing to capture. As adults we're far more critical, we expect more, know better and want to feel safe and happy and carefree in our escapism. The developers have A LOT to live up to.

Make your voices and concerns and complaints heard, but give it in a way that helps. "I don't like that my Sims do/don't do X. I think if they did/didn't do Y instead that it would improve realism etc." not a bunch of, "They had it in TSX, this is plum, I can't believe, are they even trying, why can a modder do it and not them? etc". Because again, it is EA that's the head of any 'money-grubbing', not The Sims team. Or maybe you can be upset with the Product Owner/Manager. The developers never deserve negativity. They are working their butts off to provide us with gameplay and content. And I will stop myself before I go on a rant about how difficult it is to test the variety of combinations between packs and all the compatibility that goes into while getting the game out in a timely manner.

You will never play/use any game/software that is free of bugs. It is not humanly possible and humans are the ones behind it. Believe me, they are TRYING. Encouragement, suggestions, thanks for patches and the like are going to be better positive reinforcement than just throwing a tantrum because the game doesn't work specifically how you like for your playstyle. Sure, you have your massive pent up frustrations about a component just causing the game to be "unplayable" without mods- you think presenting it that way is going to be well received? Language is nuanced for a reason, pick and choose your words to convey what kind of result you want, there is intent behind them. Do you just want to complain/vent without a fix or solution? Maybe we need a mass thread for just that.

Your feelings about the game are valid, it means a lot to us, that's why we are here as Simmers. I guess, in conclusion (because I ended up writing a novel on accident), I agree with OP.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I get what op is talking about, I really do. However, those, I'd say, problematic people on here are a clear minority. I don't care about people praising the game and I also don't care about people criticizing the game. Even rants are fine (I am guilty of ranting as well), but I really dislike it when people (usually TS3 players) pop into any TS4 feedback-related thread just to write "the game is so bad lololol play TS3 instead when is TS5 coming out??? XDXDXD" Those posts don't give any constructive criticism, it's just a blatant insult. They clearly have their game they enjoy more, and most of them probably wouldn't ever play or enjoy TS4 because it's just not their game, and no new content or updates could change that. I understand that people what to criticize the newest iteration of their favorite franchise, and they have all right to, even when they don't play TS4, but just going into threads and posting stuff as in my example above is just unnecessary and childish. Just saying "the game is bad lol" won't make any difference. State the things you want to be changed, and if the thing that bothers you about the game can't be changed at this point (like open world, seriously, I can't believe people still request that after almost 6 years), then just go and play the sims game of your preference, be it TS3, TS2 or even TS1. Just whining about the game like an immature child without giving any suggestions on how it could be better is just completely unnecessary and just spreads a kind of negativity we don't need here.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    I get what op is talking about, I really do. However, those, I'd say, problematic people on here are a clear minority. I don't care about people praising the game and I also don't care about people criticizing the game. Even rants are fine (I am guilty of ranting as well), but I really dislike it when people (usually TS3 players) pop into any TS4 feedback-related thread just to write "the game is so bad lololol play TS3 instead when is TS5 coming out??? XDXDXD" Those posts don't give any constructive criticism, it's just a blatant insult. They clearly have their game they enjoy more, and most of them probably wouldn't ever play or enjoy TS4 because it's just not their game, and no new content or updates could change that. I understand that people what to criticize the newest iteration of their favorite franchise, and they have all right to, even when they don't play TS4, but just going into threads and posting stuff as in my example above is just unnecessary and childish. Just saying "the game is bad lol" won't make any difference. State the things you want to be changed, and if the thing that bothers you about the game can't be changed at this point (like open world, seriously, I can't believe people still request that after almost 6 years), then just go and play the sims game of your preference, be it TS3, TS2 or even TS1. Just whining about the game like an immature child without giving any suggestions on how it could be better is just completely unnecessary and just spreads a kind of negativity we don't need here.

That's why I don't see a lot of the posts here. I've blocked most of the Sims3 is better brigade over the past 5years. It made life less annoying. And why try to argue the toss when I have all the packs and they have none or very few.

I hope the OP comes back from time to time as I do. Good night and keep safe Simmers.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    This thread is a mess. Perhaps it's time to close it.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I personally just ignore the negativity. I enjoy the game and I'm not going to let other peoples opinions ruin my enjoyment of it. Everybody is entitled to their opinion although I don't really understand why anybody would want hang around in forums for a game they don't enjoy.

I hated the Sims 3 so I just did other things with my time when that was the current game. It never really occurred to me to keep posting about my disliking of it on the forums during that time.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I personally just ignore the negativity. I enjoy the game and I'm not going to let other peoples opinions ruin my enjoyment of it. Everybody is entitled to their opinion although I don't really understand why anybody would want hang around in forums for a game they don't enjoy.

I hated the Sims 3 so I just did other things with my time when that was the current game. It never really occurred to me to keep posting about my disliking of it on the forums during that time.

Same, regarding Sims 3. That's what I don't get, it seems like there are people hate-stalking Sims 4 and feeding their own misery instead of just walking away and doing something else, lol.

God forbid you criticize a previous iteration during conversation, though. Suddenly you're "throwing it under the bus to make Sims 4 look better", as if that even makes sense. People get a little crazy.
    #Team Occult
  • Simoleon_KachinnnngSimoleon_Kachinnnng Posts: 13 New Member
    > @PenguinFoop said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Thanks for your input and welcome back to the Sims! This version is plagued with issues for sure. But please don't let this sour you to future versions. The company, I'm sure, is looking at the bads and the goods and will probably move the goods forward and hopefully improve the bads in the next generation.
    >
    > TS4 was originally meant to be a multi-player game, from what I understand, so it was meant to be processor-lite so that people could directly interact across gaming systems. If they had been able to achieve the online multi-player aim, I think the game would have achieved much higher opinions. However, apparently there were too many issues so they had to scrap the online multi-player aspect which degraded the entirety of the game because it is not as option-heavy as it would be otherwise. So they, again from what I understand, were stuck scrambling to make it more option-heavy and thus more satisfying for the single-player game as it's predicessors.
    >
    > I can not express enough that this is just from what I understand. I do not have any inside information and do not mean to imply otherwise.

Thank you for your reply, I had no idea the devs were aiming for multiplayer with this game, I'll carry on playing and see how it goes and will probably be buying some more packs in the future which I see as something to improve my game. I have found one bug already and it's that my Sim will take food out of the fridge but will not cook it or eat it and just dumps it on the ground.
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I totally get where you’re coming from. I often find myself taking breaks from visiting the forums, since i feel like it can be a bit too negative at times.
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    > @PenguinFoop said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Thanks for your input and welcome back to the Sims! This version is plagued with issues for sure. But please don't let this sour you to future versions. The company, I'm sure, is looking at the bads and the goods and will probably move the goods forward and hopefully improve the bads in the next generation.
    >
    > TS4 was originally meant to be a multi-player game, from what I understand, so it was meant to be processor-lite so that people could directly interact across gaming systems. If they had been able to achieve the online multi-player aim, I think the game would have achieved much higher opinions. However, apparently there were too many issues so they had to scrap the online multi-player aspect which degraded the entirety of the game because it is not as option-heavy as it would be otherwise. So they, again from what I understand, were stuck scrambling to make it more option-heavy and thus more satisfying for the single-player game as it's predicessors.
    >
    > I can not express enough that this is just from what I understand. I do not have any inside information and do not mean to imply otherwise.

Thank you for your reply, I had no idea the devs were aiming for multiplayer with this game, I'll carry on playing and see how it goes and will probably be buying some more packs in the future which I see as something to improve my game. I have found one bug already and it's that my Sim will take food out of the fridge but will not cook it or eat it and just dumps it on the ground.

Is there a empty counter for your sim to prepare the food for cooking? Putting something on a counter will make it so your sim can't use the counter.
  • ZoreloraZorelora Posts: 54 Member
    Well.... I didn’t get this game for free. I think they could do better but I’m hopeless now.
  • DrbigtDrbigt Posts: 222 Member
    For how much it costs with all the expansion packs, stuff pack and game packs, you do expect certain levels of polish and listening to your fanbase. Not many games can boast costing almost 1000$ and then NOT expect people to expect some levels of decorum and polish when you could buy numerous games with the cost of Sims 4 with all the content.
  • ZoreloraZorelora Posts: 54 Member
    Drbigt wrote: »
    For how much it costs with all the expansion packs, stuff pack and game packs, you do expect certain levels of polish and listening to your fanbase. Not many games can boast costing almost 1000$ and then NOT expect people to expect some levels of decorum and polish when you could buy numerous games with the cost of Sims 4 with all the content.

I really love your comment. Yes! I didn’t get this game for free and there are like... 32 half-baked packs ( 1 is a dlc of a dlc) I think we have the rights to demand something (though I never criticize EA or Maxis harshly but I really want to)
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Interesting thread

*Grabs popcorn
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited April 2020
    Zorelora wrote: »
    ...I think we have the rights to demand something...
    See, that is where we start to delude ourselves. In the world of business, numbers speak louder than voices and ethics are 'how can we make the most profit with as little effort as little as possible?'

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• DrbigtDrbigt Posts: 222 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Zorelora wrote: »
    ...I think we have the rights to demand something...
    See, that is where we start to delude ourselves. In the world of business, numbers speak louder than voices and ethics are 'how can we make the most profit with as little effort as little as possible?'

If you'd burn your core customers to the point that they'd abandon the game, there's no way that you could sell nearly 1000$ worth of expansion stuffs. If your theory would be correct, we'd have to pay for toddlers, pools and everything else separately that they released for free each with micro transactions instead (5$ for pools, 9,99$ for toddlers and so on) and Sims 4 would have died already years ago and made them only a fraction of the money that it has made them by now.

It's really cynical and dangerous way of thinking to suggest that somehow making minimal effort with absolute maximum monetization will somehow lead to bigger financial gains because it will not and that will only lead to inferior products for consumers, who stop supporting said project. Considering Sims 4 the base product is only 5% of the price of all the rest of the addons for the game, they do want to have maximum customer retention.
  • dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    The Sims is one of the oldest gaming franchises still running. So its generated a lot of loyal and passionate fans that have very emotional reactions to changes in the games. That just goes with the territory for a game that has been around for so long. Don't take it personally.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright everyone I'm going to close this off. A few points I want to make in response to some of the posts I've seen throughout this thread.

I don't believe the OP was wanting people to halt all negative feedback, merely that such feedback should be constructive and not posted in a manner that belittles or insults either the community that already enjoy the content the feedback is directed at or the Devs who made that content.

I've said it a few times throughout this forum, feedback whether it be negative or positive is always and will always be welcome here as long as it is within the forum rules and is posted constructively.

I'm going to close this thread off now as I've cleared out some posts yet there was some great discussion in here.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top