Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Trait Idea! <3

So from what I understand, Good sims are positively motivated by postive emotions. For instance, a good sim becomes happy if others are in positive moods and become sad if others have negative moods.

The opposite is true for Evil sims, from my understanding.

But what if there was an Empath trait? Empathy is inherent in all of us, why not the sims?

The way I see it working is, if an Empath sim is around another sim, they inherit the mood of those sims. A sim is happy, the empath is happy. The sim is angry, the empath is angry. It doesn't just make them happy or sad but they actually feel the same way the other sim feels.

So in itself, that sounds good, right? (I hope you answered yes)

Now, imagine an empath surrounded by a group of people! Each of their individual emotions would begin to compile within the empath! A fight breaks between two of them and suddenly our empath is angry because they're angry. Meanwhile, another couple get flirty and that gets added to our empath's mood as well. Another couple break up and are sad, add sadness to our empath. Another is happy, add that as well.

So our empath is angry, flirty, sad, happy. You would think that at least the happy and sad would cancel each other out, right? Well, if there are two that are sad (the breakup) and only one that is happy, then overall, that would be +1 sad. So fomulaicly (if that's a word), it would be =2 angry +2 flirty +1 sad (1 sad and 1 happy cancelled). So the mood is angry/flirty/sad. Now, since all three of these would affect each other to varying degrees, the two negatives would outweigh the positive, so maybe +2 angry - 2 flirty + 1 sad. So our final emotion would be +2 angry +1 sad. So overall, the sim is angry and a little sad as well.

But, it would also depend on some other variables, maybe distance to the other sims. For instance, our sim is right next to the flirty couple while the two fighters are in the next room. So flirty would carry more weight than the fighters because of that. However, another factor could be relationship to the empath. The two fighters are the empath's brothers. That would have to have more impact than the two random flirties because of relationship status.

I may be making it too complicated but that is how I see it in my head. Maybe a simplified version instead even?

Comments

• JadesimmerJadesimmer Posts: 76 Member
    In the end that sims will be crazy because emotion are constantly changing :D but it sounds interesting. I have an idea that empathic sims can share happiness with sims experience happy which give a positive boost that make sims happy for all day, no matter what bad things happen, etc.
    4kTG3iX.png
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Jadesimmer wrote: »
    In the end that sims will be crazy because emotion are constantly changing :D but it sounds interesting. I have an idea that empathic sims can share happiness with sims experience happy which give a positive boost that make sims happy for all day, no matter what bad things happen, etc.

Yeah, that could be their special social interaction, sort of like "share the love" but instead be "share the mood." Not just happiness though, whatever mood their experiencing. Even negative ones like anger, jealousy and so on.
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2020
    I really like this concept! I'm not sure if "empath" would be a good name for it, though, since real-life empaths don't automatically absorb the emotions of nearby people. Perhaps if they asked another sim, "What's wrong?", the reaction would be appropriate.
    I really like this concept! I'm not sure if "empath" would be a good name for it, though, since real-life empaths don't automatically absorb the emotions of nearby people. Perhaps if they asked another sim, "What's wrong?", the reaction would be appropriate.

I don't know about that. Haven't you ever seen someone that looked like they were sad and suddenly felt a pang of sadness as well? It doesn't usually last long but it's there for me even if just fleeting. Of course, I don't feel it from someone that I don't have any contact at all with (even visual) but for the game purposes, yeah it would still fall under empathy in my way of thinking. It would just be an exaggerated version of it as sims tends to be anyway. :)
  • Simmer4Ever2020Simmer4Ever2020 Posts: 15 Member
    > @Jadesimmer said:
    > In the end that sims will be crazy because emotion are constantly changing :D but it sounds interesting. I have an idea that empathic sims can share happiness with sims experience happy which give a positive boost that make sims happy for all day, no matter what bad things happen, etc.

No cause effects my sims mood then can't paint emotions and what if I want a basketcase.
    That's just it, if they don't share mood with someone, they would definitely be a basketcase. lol
    As for the first part "No cause effects my sim mood then can't paint emotions" I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?
    I'd really like to officially suggest this trait once I figure out how so any input and ideas would be great!