March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roadmap Speculation thread: What will we get?

Here's what we need to know (and speculate about) from the blog post:
  • Devs are working on the Community Stuff pack. "I can’t tell you its name, because we have not voted on that yet, but I saw the list of options last week, and I have no idea which one you all will choose. I’m anxious to find out."
  • "We are also hard at work on our next Expansion Pack. I’m super excited about the theme the team has chosen—I think it will be a surprise to many of you." -> There is a rather small group that won't be surprised but most people will be -> it's probably not a Farming pack nor Generations. I'm guessing Supernatural EP or Hobbies EP.
  • "The team has also been hard at work on some new surprise additions we plan to bring to the game over the summer. They are not massive changes, but they are pretty cool ones that I think you will have a ton of fun with." -> We'll get new stuff in Patches coming over the summer. To give you a rough scale about what we're getting, we got the Freelancer career in a summer Patch last year. Other features we got in patches were the first-person camera view, odd jobs, that Alexa thing, etc.
  • "Another group on our team is currently focused on our next Game Pack. This pack is a major first for us, and we are super eager to share it with all of you later this year." -> This GP being a major first probably means that we won't get any occults nor destination vacations. I'm taking a bet to say that it's a Singer/Band GP or something but we'll have to see.
  • "Lastly, we have been working on some fun ways to Stay Home and Play Together. No, we are not doing multiplayer. We want to help our community of players connect with each other (and us!) in this time of social distancing. As part of that, we Gurus want a chance to share more with you." -> Probably a revamp of Maxis Occasionally Maxis Monthly/Guru Games streams. ++ some other stuff to keep us busy.

The blog post implies that the Release order will be almost the same as last year:
In 2019 we had: Freelancer patch -> bugfix patch -> OffTheGrid Pre-EP patch -> Island Living EP -> Create a Sim: Story Mode + UI revamp Pre-SP patch-> Moschino SP -> L-shaped stairs Pre-GP patch -> bugfix patch -> Bugfix patch

For this year we'll have (this is my speculation btw): <Medium patch> -> <Bugfix patch> -> <Medium Pre-EP patch> -> Hobbies EP -> <Bugfix Pre-SP patch> -> Community SP -> Singing skill and Instruments Revamp + for Instruments Pre-GP patch -> Singer/Bands GP

But speculation aside, I'm hoping the team isn't going too far with the whole Surprise theme thing. Strangervile shows us that "Surprise themed" packs get mixed reviews and making them is a big gamble. They should stop doing these and make new packs based on Community surveys (like the one we got in January) instead. Otherwise, they risk losing a rather large part of the community and not getting enough revenue.

Comments

• elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    it's probably not a Farming pack nor Generations. I'm guessing Supernatural EP or Hobbies EP.

A Supernatural EP is definitely not happening now that the two most popular occults, vampires and witches, are in its own packs. The other life states like werewolves and fairies are not anywhere popular enough to warrant a whole EP.

A Hobbies EP isn’t likely either. FreeTime was like the only hobbies pack we’ve had and it’s easily one of the least popular TS2 EPs. With TS4 they generally stick to packs with very clear and specific themes. A Hobbies pack is basically a random assortment of gameplay objects without a clear focus.

I agree that it’s not Farming or Generations. Farming is probably the most requested EP right now; it’s anything but surprising. I also don’t think they seriously considered Farming until 2018 when many people started to request it (Farming has never been on a Maxis EP survey for example). Timing-wise it wouldn’t work very well since they plan three years ahead. As for Generations, SimGuruGrant essentially told us they wouldn’t do it again as TS3 Generations didn’t sell very well. Generations also suffers from the problem of not having a clear focus. It’s mainly just adding a bunch of random activities to all age groups. In contrast, TS4 Parenthood had a very clear focus (parenting).
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited April 2020
    Anyone else totally terrified that they want to surprise us so badly?😅😅😅😅😅😅
    At this point I cannot even speculate what it might be.
    I think a superhero pack would be surprising and popular because of marvel though I have no interest.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    it's probably not a Farming pack nor Generations. I'm guessing Supernatural EP or Hobbies EP.

A Supernatural EP is definitely not happening now that the two most popular occults, vampires and witches, are in its own packs. The other life states like werewolves and fairies are not anywhere popular enough to warrant a whole EP.

If they were to do a fairytale pack, that might justify having both in the same pack. I don't know if they've done one before, or what else would be in said pack. But I do agree that neither one on their own is enough to justify a whole EP, and probably even doing the two together is a stretch.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited April 2020
    Anyone else totally terrified that they want to surprise us so badly?😅😅😅😅😅😅
    At this point I cannot even speculate what it might be.
    I think a superhero pack would be surprising and popular because of marvel though I have no interest.

I'm not interested in a superhero EP either, I'd rather they give us what's lacking first.
    I would like a school pack, Generations, Farming, or something with horses. AND CARS !! I would like hobbies too.

They asked pretty specific questions about a skiing vacation pack and winter activities in the survey....

Things I'm not interested in : Futuristic EP, Bands, Weird stuff, superheroes, etc
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Superhero is the only thing I really don't want/care about in my game. It wouldn't work. Like the witches flying on brooms being a glorified teleportation... that would be so lame in SIms 4, the game is too closed/child friendly. I bet they would fight villains playing chess or something. And, honestly, I don't care about surprises in SIms. I would hate if they tried so hard to surprise us just to end up give us something we're going to use once. I have lost all of my positivity and hope after the 20th anniversary fiasco. BUT...
    I would want a Showtime/Singing/Bands/Stage Performances EP or Farming/Eco-Living EP, and a occult GP. Maybe Werefolk, or Fairies.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Also, I really wish Morgan would return uploading a family per week on the gallery. There was so many classic sims I wanted to see in SIms 4, but she stopped uploading.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    So eeh.. a no brainer. Yay.

No cars, no updated babies, no personality overhauls etc as updates.

Basically dry until June when they drop the EP..
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    I wonder what the packs will be.
    I am still hoping for farming and maybe a dating/ romance gp. Or another city like San Myshuno, I just love the city and I need some more apartments^^ I can't imagine what the unexpected theme will be though.. Safari? A get to work 2.0?

An overhaul for school and some long time wanted stuff (burglars, firefighters etc) would be nice as a free update. I also could imagine something like Newcrest, new living space for new homes.
    Anyways, I am looking forward to everything new, kinda sad that it will take some months still. I am impatient waiting for something new.
  • John_SalonicaJohn_Salonica Posts: 353 Member
    NO MORE SUPERNATURAL STUFF PLLLLEASEEEEEE
    xyIcMqt.png
  • PlumbodyLovesYouPlumbodyLovesYou Posts: 1 New Member
    What do we have to do to get WEREWOLVES?!?
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    NO MORE SUPERNATURAL STUFF PLLLLEASEEEEEE
    This, except the exact opposite.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited April 2020
    Clearly nothing that anyone has actually requested, so who knows. Considering how the Sims 4 has panned out so far, I'm guessing a Twitter EP, a Snapchat GP, and a free 'like, comment, and subscribe' system in a patch. :/
  • SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    What do we have to do to get WEREWOLVES?!?

completely forget about ts4 until we stumble by it accidentally a year later when they release the trailer for the GP
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    edited April 2020
    I believe we will get a medieval EP. There are a lot of medieval items in GF even a sword fighting animation and we know how much EA loves reusing stuff lol!
  • akasevenakaseven Posts: 279 Member
    so basically i really hope to obvios content theme, like music expansion pack or farming pack and gamepack something like that, BUT the way they told us that theme of expansion pack will be a surprised, i not sure that will be something that we already expected, so... i no really idea, i wonder if medieval vibes or timetravel? anyways what i really wanted was that poll already happening throughout the year updating packages already released.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I'm excited for the new never been done before hopefully they stick by it.
  • candystormcandystorm Posts: 321 Member
    I would really love a vacation pack where you can actually go and stay in a hotel/resort. I still remember how good the Sims 1 Vacation pack was. I absolutely do not want any more supernatural things in my game, I like it to be as close to reality as possible.

I'm also eager for them to add cars, online dating (like Sims 3), burglars, fire department, police department, more takeout options. A school pack, farming or theme park pack would be interesting.
    Origin: twinklegalaxy
    Grim-Reaper-Sim.jpg

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    For the completelly new gamepack we can rule out themes like party, romance, vacations, animals, fame, magic, university, night life, business, seasons, hobbies, apartments, vacations, adventure, generations, supernatural, future time travel, clubs, city, camping, linear adventure... as this were the themes that we already had in this and previous iterations.
    What can be done besides of this? I have no idea atm...
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    There could be another vacation pack, if it was to somewhere completely different like an African safari or the Australian outback. Other than that, there's not a lot of things they have never done before.

Maybe a Victorian pack or some other past time period.

Probably not werewolves, but we did just get witches so no surprise there is a wait there.

It does not seem to me that the few clues given point to farming, unless they are doing it a lot differently than people expect.
  • RhiannonravenRhiannonraven Posts: 128 Member
    edited April 2020
    Bunk beds and ladders would be nice for a change...

If at some point they give us only one and not the other, I'll be mad, because the big thing they don't want to have to change for both is the ladder climbing animation, I think. If they did that animation for say, bunk beds, and then they didn't give us ladders to get to another story of the house because it was "too much for one pack", that will be ridiculous.
    When I found out that tiny living was a choice between bunk beds, ladders, and murphy beds, and they chose murphy beds!!!! I actually just didn't buy the pack ):
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Bunk beds and ladders would be nice for a change...

If at some point they give us only one and not the other, I'll be mad, because the big thing they don't want to have to change for both is the ladder climbing animation, I think. If they did that animation for say, bunk beds, and then they didn't give us ladders to get to another story of the house because it was "too much for one pack", that will be ridiculous.
    When I found out that tiny living was a choice between bunk beds, ladders, and murphy beds, and they chose murphy beds!!!! I actually just didn't buy the pack ):

At least bunk beds would not kill the sims. :smiley:

• jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    edited April 2020
    I'm thinking now Farming will not be the EP, but will be the GP instead. I really do think we will get it one way or another. What that leaves for the EP, not sure. There's no way it's the winter/alpined/romantic theme that they had in the survey. Even before the virus that wasn't going to be likely be before end of 2020. No idea actually on with the EP could be.

Oh! I just had the thought. maybe the EP is a time travel EP with both past and future travel.
    Post edited by jcp011c2 on
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    There could be another vacation pack, if it was to somewhere completely different like an African safari or the Australian outback. Other than that, there's not a lot of things they have never done before.

Maybe a Victorian pack or some other past time period.

Probably not werewolves, but we did just get witches so no surprise there is a wait there.

It does not seem to me that the few clues given point to farming, unless they are doing it a lot differently than people expect.

A winter vacation pack is missing and has been mentioned on the survey. A themepark pack is also missing.