Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Knitting Gameplay Questions for the Community!

18910111214...Next

Comments

• RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    I just want it to come out so that I can play it.
  • TennedraTennedra Posts: 25 Member
    Q1: I would love crosspack functionality! I don't care to much about the fame. I would prefer to sale items at the yard sales and retail stores. Also, it would be funny to see a knitting elective university class.

Q2: I want these things to be craftable! Also, there should be a separate item to knit, like a basket of yarn or a desk.

Q3: The desk should be the main storage for a sim's yarn supply. There can be an interaction where you can buy yarn and needles for whatever project you're working on. I would love to see the desk also being used to mentor other sims, especially children in knitting. They surround the desk or stand/sit next to each other.

Q4: I never knitted before, but my grandma has. She takes quite a while to knit or crochet. She starts very early before holidays so she can get it done. I've done some simply knitting before and it take me ages because I'm a beginner. The time to craft could also depend on the level.

Q5: Yes, that would be handy in some situations.

Q6: I've had both negative and positive experiences with knitting. If a grandma is hot-headed or hates children, maybe she can get a bit impatient when the grandchild is struggling and she tries to hurry along with the lesson. I've had that happen with my grandma before. If they're family oriented, they could teach their children and grandchildren for hours. I feel like personality traits can effect how a sim teaches knitting.

Q7: Scouts could donate knitted/crochet goods to charity once they are crafted. There can also be a volunteer activity to go knit with a group of people.

Q8: I would like to see them scratch often, especially when they're sitting still. There can be a funny interaction where the sim tells another that he totally "loves" this sweater, but he/she is just trying to be respecting to the person who made it for them.

Q10: I think the teach to knit option should only be autonomous when the sim is in a relatively good mood or confident mood. I wouldn't like my sim to suddenly start the interaction when they're angry or uncomfortable.
  • ChrinnieChrinnie Posts: 982 Member
    Outside of rocking chairs, knitting doesn't really give me any feels. I'm happy for the rocking chairs, though! Will rocking be a normal function or is it a skill where you can rock the chair in various ways for more entertainment value?
    Author of: The Rossi Legacy | The Inheritance
    mW8spBr.png
    Philadelphia raised, Las Vegas living, avid Sims 4 fan, all around nice guy (if you ask me LOL)
  • SimSationalTooSimSationalToo Posts: 4 New Member
    Q1: Knitting has NEVER provided ANYONE fame EVER...go ahead, name me ONE famous knitter, you can't can you?

Q2: I just might do a happy dance but it depends on the item!

Q3: My grandmother, my mother, myself nor anyone I have ever known or seen has ever knitted at a desk silly man...you may store your yarn, needles, etc., at/in a desk but you don't sit and knit there so please, don't make the desk "necessary" for knitting.

Q4: Paintings can take hours and hours in real life, so can knitting but gloves and hats can be done in a couple of hours. Baby items are fairly fast. Blankets take a long time so does anything intricate. Can we vary the times and have short, medium and long projects?

Q5: Tell your friend yes and that they can drink beer and watch tv while they knit too...you can't do these things but your friend can!

Q6: Grandma was fierce, sure she started off all sweet and teacher-like but then pit-bull I'll rip your face off if you do it wrong one more time monster granny came out about a half hour into the lesson!

Q7: You don't see a lot of toaster coozies on Etsy....perhaps knit baby sweaters is the way to go?

Q8: I want to see itchy, dancing, can't take it anymore hives, full blown anaphylactic shock, allergic reaction that can sometimes lead to death- cuz there just isn't enough accidental death in The Sims 4!

Q9: Chicks with Sticks....Knit Happens....Knitting takes balls (of yarn)...

Q10: No, no, no, no, no, no...you caught on that I feel VERY strongly about this right? I will ask when I want to be taught or when I want to teach someone! Well, who am I kidding, you know I'll just throw in a cheat code and be at level 10-wink!

Q11: MY TURN TO ASK YOU A Q: How mush longer is this going to take...it feels like you all are stalling by using audience participation tactics...it's been a real long time for a tiny stuff pack....you've got people...use them, crank this thing out while we are all home bored out of our minds...this pack is just what we need to bring some excitement back to the game...the price will be right and it will be very much appreciated at a time when we could all use something special and distracting....really, hurry this up!!!!
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member

Q11: MY TURN TO ASK YOU A Q: How mush longer is this going to take...it feels like you all are stalling by using audience participation tactics...it's been a real long time for a tiny stuff pack....you've got people...use them, crank this thing out while we are all home bored out of our minds...this pack is just what we need to bring some excitement back to the game...the price will be right and it will be very much appreciated at a time when we could all use something special and distracting....really, hurry this up!!!!

While I don't work for EA, I do follow SimGuruNinja and SimGuruConnor on Twitter. Per Ninja's post late last month, the Arts and Crafts pack is on schedule. There's one more vote to go at the end of the month for name and Icon. From what I can tell, the Laundry Day pack took a similar amount of time, so while it's only a sample of two, this time frame isn't unprecedented.

And the last Stuff Pack came out in January. It's only April.

(And much as I love the idea of Knitting, it's not going to add much excitement to the game... Knitting is a soothing activity, not an exciting one.)
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

The Sims team has had to adjust to working from home. That adjustment likely pushed back some things that they may have wanted to implement in the patch. We are all in a period of adjustment. Please try to relax.
  • pinot_grigiopinot_grigio Posts: 91 Member
    Q1: Knitting and selling knitted products should NOT automatically provide fame... I mean, how many people get famous from knitting? But other crosspack functionality would be cool, like being able to create a knitting club. Maybe if sims uploaded their knitting products on their social media profile which already had many followers, that might lead to fame, or if they uploaded a video of themselves knitting that could boost fame.

Q2: That would be amazing!

Q3: I don't think many people knit at a desk... But a cool crafty desk for a sewing machine would be awesome, where sims can make their own clothes, curtains, costumes for Halloween, etc.

Q4: It depends what you're making. I think that you should be able to make lower-level items faster and bigger projects should take a long time.

Q5: No one knits standing up!!! I think in this case, you can make the sim sit on the floor. That's better than standing up and knitting.

Q6: I think that there should be two (or more) different animations depending on the level of the mentee. If the mentee is like below level 3 in knitting, the animation should show the mentor with their own set of needles showing the mentee how to knit, and the mentee trying to copy what the mentor is doing. As the mentee levels up, the mentor could just supervise the mentee, and maybe occasionally taking the needles to fix something the mentee has done and then giving the needles back. I think it would be cool if sims could learn how to knit on the computer though, like how we might learn from watching a YouTube video.

Q7: I don't have any personal experience on this topic.

Q8: I think that the sim wearing the sweater should get an uncomfortable buff, but not like the kind when a sim needs to desperately go to the toilet, but similar to the tense mood. If the sim who made the sweater sees another sim wearing the sweater they made, they should definitely get a happy buff.

Q9: ProcrastKNITating

Q10: No... I do not think that this should be autonomous.
    49886159581_8ebc2b57a8_h.jpg
  • plantghostplantghost Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2020
    Q1: As far as cross-pack functionality, I think that for Discover University, sims who are attending university should be able to take a knitting course as an elective, as well as the ability for all sims to take a one-time knitting class from the skill class option via the phone. With Laundry Day, perhaps sims could ruin the risk of ruining their knitted clothing when using the washing machine and/or dryer. For Seasons, knitted clothing and accessories could provide positive moodlets during the colder seasons and uncomfortable moodlets during warmer seasons. In Cats and Dogs, perhaps the more curious and mischievous pets could play with sims' yarn balls and cause a little chaos that way! It would also be cool to see Spellcaster sims in Realm of Magic be able to magically speed through that laborious knitting process, perhaps with some cool floaty-needle-action. Lastly, I know this last suggestion isn't exactly cross-pack, as it involves a base game feature, but I'm not sure where else it would go: Perhaps the Fashion Stylist branch of the Freelancer career could involve the knitting skill in some way, like a work task to knit a certain accessory or article of clothing!

Q2:
    If objects that exist in-game that look like they could have been knitted, I'd be pleased! I think that'd add an extra layer of interaction to the game, and I can't really see it being an issue for someone as long as pre-existing objects can still be obtained using their original, non-crafting methods. Related to Q1, if this feature was added, it would be awesome to see some knitted-looking objects from various packs (like all those cute Laundry Day items) also have the option.

Q3:
    I don't have particularly strong feelings about sims knitting at the desk per se, however, it would be awesome to see some kind of functionality that differentiates that crafting desk from other desks in-game. Perhaps it could function as a normal desk, but sims have the option to knit there if there isn't a computer or other object in that center slot? I think that would provide some realism, so that children and teens could do their homework there, sims could eat there, etc. It would be especially interesting to see the item with functionality options similar to the craft table that child sims can use *in addition to a desk-knitting option, but I understand that would mean adding a whole new feature that doesn't have a lot to do with the SP itself.

Q4: I don't think this would be an issue, as it would provide some realism. Perhaps there could be some kind of variation in the time it takes to craft certain types of objects, like larger vs. smaller ones. Perhaps the average knit-time could be similar to book-writing times? My sims usually have to take breaks from writing their books and come back to them another day.

Q5: I'd imagine that'd be a little awkward, but I think I'd prefer a good ole standing knit-sesh over the action being canceled. Something about sims waving their hands around helplessly makes my blood boil just a little bit lol. Maybe they should autonomously move to a seat whenever one becomes available while standing and knitting.

Q6: As a teenager, I remember getting really frustrated when my mom tried teaching me how to sew. I think sims, specifically younger ones, having a tense or angry reaction to knitting mentor attempts could be very fun! Perhaps creative sims or art-lovers could have a stronger positive reaction to being mentored in knitting than other sims. As far as animation, maybe the mentoring sim could demonstrate by holding up some partially completed craftable or yarn and needles while speaking to the other sim. I don't think a really involved-looking animation for this interaction is really necessary.

Q7: I'm not totally sure where you're headed with the donation thing, but the first thing that came to mind for me was something like the 'donate to fans' object interaction in Get Famous. There could be an interaction on the computer along with the simolean donation interactions, to donate knitted objects to sims in need! For some Etsy-like gameplay, it would be really neat to see computer interactions like the ability to name their virtual store and seeing things like [*Etsy Store Name* > List Item... > *Crafted Object*], perhaps with a price-setting option like the markup options on retail lots in Get to Work; just instead of doing these things using a register on a physical retail lot, Sims access these options via the pie menu on their computers. It would also be really cool to see tasks laid out like the non-rabbit hole Odd Job tasks that came with Seasons or the Freelance Writer tasks, where they are commissioned to craft specific items and need to put those items in the mailbox after crafting.

Q8: I think those sims would definitely suffer from an Uncomfortable moodlet for as long as they're wearing the poorly crafted item, and maybe they'd also feel Tense or Embarrassed for a while as well!

Q9: Wool you let me knit in peace? Knit happens. You're a real knit-wit. Keep calm and carry yarn, except you have to say that one in a British accent. Or all of them I guess, whatever. I'm not the accent police.

Q10: I don't think the mentoring interaction should be autonomous! As you said, it could lead to constant immersion in knitting, and not all sims want to know how to knit! Additionally, I don't think that all level ten knitting sims would be particularly interested in taking all that time to teach other sims! I'm personally pretty bad at teaching people things, even if I'm really good at them, and it definitely isn't something I particularly enjoy. Max skill knitters should have the same option!
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    There's a new survey!
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    Q1: I think that it would work super well with Parenthood! It would be so cute if knitting helped with a character value like emotional control or something.
    Q2: I think having crochet-like objects tied in with knitting makes sense, as creating a whole new skill for this feels like a waste.
    Q3: I think it would be cute if the desk added an animation or something (like pulling yardn off of the table), but most people I know knit while watching tv or youtube.
    Q4: I think that having knitting take longer is a really immersive thing to add. My longest project was a scarf for my friend and it took about 40 hours to get it right. However, I also think that if knitting will take longer, the finished products should sell for more than paintings.
    Q5: I think that standing and knitting would be okay, but might be annoying if it were autonomous. If the interaction could be limited by having the player click the sim, that would be fine.
    Q6: The “teach to knit” interaction should require both the master and the apprentice to have a set of needles and yarn. When I learned, I watched and copied casting on and off several times before even getting into how to knit a simple square. Neither sim should actually produce anything, but just raise the skill.
    Q7: --
    Q8: I think an uncomfortable moodlet would suffice.
    Q9: I don’t know, man. Sorry.
    Q10: I think that it should be autonomous if the apprentice already has the knitting skill, but not if they have never even knit once before.
  • juliekayejuliekaye Posts: 108 Member
    Q5: No one knits standing up!!! I think in this case, you can make the sim sit on the floor. That's better than standing up and knitting.

Sure they do! :) I do it while standing in line if it’s taking awhile. I have a project bag looped around my arm or in a belt buckle and have the yarn in the bag. I wouldn’t do complicated lace or large pieces standing up, but a washcloth or socks is the perfect thing to knit while standing.

I’ve even knitted while taking a walk. Granted, very slow walk and mindless stitch patterns only. And it needs to be on even terrain where nothing is likely to trip me. lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top