Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
Now that we are staying at home, many new players are discovering The Sims for the first time. We all have been there at some point: our Sims’ first kitchen fire, their first bladder failure... many amusing and surprising moments to live!

But I think it’s safe to say all of us also looked at our first Sims at some point and wondered: ‘What do I do with you?

ts4-20th-anniv-sale01a2x.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

To all of you who have been playing this ‘virtual dollhouse’ for a while now: let’s welcome new players by helping them discover what makes The Sims special and showing them what’s so great about this game: the community!:

What are the things you wished you had known when you were getting started with The Sims?
Share your tips, resources and expertise below!

To all of you who are new to The Sims: read, enjoy, and welcome to the party! You can also ask your gameplay questions in this thread - no question is too basic, we have all been there. No judgement here! :)

Comments

• MrosarroMrosarro Posts: 4 New Member
    I have a photo studio built on retail lot does anyone know how to get my photog sim moved in?
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Mrosarro wrote: »
    I have a photo studio built on retail lot does anyone know how to get my photog sim moved in?

Hello @Mrosarro :) Your sim can’t have the photo studio as their own home. But they can still live at the photo studio, but need to own a home somewhere else. The home will be where their mail goes to and where kids come home from school. You can still live at the photo studio but will need to have the other home also.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Learn how sims age and how you want to play - start with one household, but check out if rotational play is for you. A rotation brings more variety, and it might also trig your stories in many ways. Understanding how sims ageing, career promotions, bills etc are affected by moving about vs staying on one lot is essential to plan a good routine.

Take your time to enjoy each addition. Getting many new packs added at once might be twice the fun, as some packs even get better when mixed. But the content might also be overwhelming, resulting in getting the feeling of not staying on top of it all. It takes a while to get familiar with new features, ie most packs offer objects with new functionality, more social interactions and some adjusted UI. Careers often bring new stuff at the higher levels, not taking the time to get there means you'll miss some of the fun.

Check out the buyable extra traits! Some might look pretty useless with the base game only, but with a few packs added, you'll see them in a new light.

Some packs might not add a lot of obvious content, you might think Seasons is just about weather. But it's not. It changes how you'll see each of your worlds and lots - it brings tons of visual variety to the game, and also challenges you to plan your events differently (who wants their garden wedding in Winter anyway?). Same with clubs system in Get Together, it can be used as a plain club system, but it's also very in handy for bringing sims together - like gathering relatives! Throwing a wedding allows your sim to only invite sims s/he already met, but with a club packed with relatives old Auntie will no longer be left out :)

Use the gallery if you don't want to build everything yourself, or create all sims. Anything you grab there can be modified by you now or later.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Simoleon_KachinnnngSimoleon_Kachinnnng Posts: 13 New Member
    I am new again. I used to have the Sims Deluxe Edition and then moved on and bought The Sims Complete Collection on PC way back in 2005 but then I had to up date my PC because I was still using XP and The sims didn't work any more so I stopped playing for what must be about 13/14years. Just came back and now trying to play The Sims 4 on console and the controls take some getting used to jeeeeeez! I am back to the amateur days of 1 single Sim, good old square stick-o-brick houses with 1 floor and minimal distractions but now my Sim decides he will take food out of the fridge but just dump it on the floor. EAT IT!

Unfortunately Sims 4 is the only Sims game that I own right now. I take look on youtube now and again for building inspiration and think I can do that, let's go. Somehow once I have finished it looks nothing like anything resembling a good living environment. Already had 1 fire and I guess The Sims 4 fire service are in isolation too.
  • Simoleon_KachinnnngSimoleon_Kachinnnng Posts: 13 New Member
    Instead of motherlode I think using the: money 10000000 cheat may be easier than motherlode because you can just add the amount you want up to 99999999 or somewhere near that amount you can also use it to take away money. Not that I use it because the game would be too easy with all that money. It's a better reward to struggle at first then get a job and work up the ladder and become financially safe enough to live comfortably. I like to give my Sims the bookworm trait and this way I can read skill books and get some decent jobs.
  • KarimacKarimac Posts: 1 New Member
    I've just recently downloaded TS4 (like 5/6 days ago), I played TS3 many many moons ago.
    I'm finding that I spend most of my time building as I just love being creative (I've been watching a lot of youtube vids and have picked up some amazing tips).
    My problem is, I don't know how to be more inspired to live play as I end up getting overwhelmed with the amount of actions required, especially with more than one sim.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Learn how sims age and how you want to play - start with one household, but check out if rotational play is for you. A rotation brings more variety, and it might also trig your stories in many ways. Understanding how sims ageing, career promotions, bills etc are affected by moving about vs staying on one lot is essential to plan a good routine.

Take your time to enjoy each addition. Getting many new packs added at once might be twice the fun, as some packs even get better when mixed. But the content might also be overwhelming, resulting in getting the feeling of not staying on top of it all. It takes a while to get familiar with new features, ie most packs offer objects with new functionality, more social interactions and some adjusted UI. Careers often bring new stuff at the higher levels, not taking the time to get there means you'll miss some of the fun.

Check out the buyable extra traits! Some might look pretty useless with the base game only, but with a few packs added, you'll see them in a new light.

Some packs might not add a lot of obvious content, you might think Seasons is just about weather. But it's not. It changes how you'll see each of your worlds and lots - it brings tons of visual variety to the game, and also challenges you to plan your events differently (who wants their garden wedding in Winter anyway?). Same with clubs system in Get Together, it can be used as a plain club system, but it's also very in handy for bringing sims together - like gathering relatives! Throwing a wedding allows your sim to only invite sims s/he already met, but with a club packed with relatives old Auntie will no longer be left out :)

Use the gallery if you don't want to build everything yourself, or create all sims. Anything you grab there can be modified by you now or later.

That's a thing??? Are they available on Xbox One and if so, where can I get them?
    A couple of things I wish I had known when I started out:

1. The Pause Button is your friend! You can pause the game and then choose what you want your sims to do & in what order to do them. Use Pause often!
    2. Some actions will multi-task, saving time in filling needs. For instance, they can eat and watch tv at the same time, filling the hunger & fun bars at the same time.
    3. The game will only save your sim to the library when you create them. If you have any sims born in-game or you wish to use your skilled sim in a different save, be sure to save them to My Library in Your Gallery.
    4. Save early - save often - use "save as" to make a backup of a particular time. You can make backups of all of your games by copying the folder "Saves" from your "The Sims 4" folder in Documents to a safe place like an external drive
    5. Sims can die! If you only have one sim in your household and they die, the game will end. You cannot save a game while a sim is dying. You CAN exit without saving, which will mean you restart the game from the point you last saved. If that was 4 hours ago, you will be sad for a number of reasons. See Tip #4 :smile:
    6. Try lots of things! For sure make your sim-self (doesn't everyone start out by making themselves in sim-form?), but once you've explored a few possibilities with your first sim, feel free to branch out. Some people really like creating stories around their sims, others like setting their own goals or playing towards in-game achievements, some like building, some like creating households and still others like doing challenges written by other people. The Sims is such an open-ended type of game the possibilities are almost limitless.

Have fun! That's really the most important part

My sims skills reset in a new game, at least, I think they do. I make them all with story mode quiz and I know for sure that the library copy of them does not keep their job in a new game.
    Instead of motherlode I think using the: money 10000000 cheat may be easier than motherlode because you can just add the amount you want up to 99999999 or somewhere near that amount you can also use it to take away money. Not that I use it because the game would be too easy with all that money. It's a better reward to struggle at first then get a job and work up the ladder and become financially safe enough to live comfortably. I like to give my Sims the bookworm trait and this way I can read skill books and get some decent jobs.

100% agree with that point!
    Karimac wrote: »
    I've just recently downloaded TS4 (like 5/6 days ago), I played TS3 many many moons ago.
    I'm finding that I spend most of my time building as I just love being creative (I've been watching a lot of youtube vids and have picked up some amazing tips).
    My problem is, I don't know how to be more inspired to live play as I end up getting overwhelmed with the amount of actions required, especially with more than one sim.

Easy, start with just the one. Keep that one at home and focus on needs. Neighbors will wander past your house so you can run outside and meet many people. Focus on needs first, wants later. And last but not least search PenguinFoop in the gallery and download Downward Living and The Modern III They'll save your life!!! Okay, so that's a shameless advertisement but truly, I think you may be inspired by the depth you can go when building. Especially when you see the creative way I made the "Eco-Pool." Pools are awesome again!!!! And just how far down you can go with a garden near the center of the planet!!!

As for things I wish I knew, I think the thing I wish I knew first and foremost was that this forum existed. But the newcomers obviously know that now. So I would say that the next thing I wish I knew was which packs to buy first. There are so many. I would definitely agree that Seasons is a must. I can't imagine playing without it now. Finally, there's a reason to create a summer and winter outfit!!! Downside, plants grow only during certain seasons (different types for different seasons) unless you plant them indoors. ;) Also, with Seasons, the thermostat will only work in a house properly if every room has a ceiling, including the patios and porches!

And finally, search "The Vazquez Family Needs Your Help" and become a mentor in the story. Okay, so that's another shameless advertisement. But hey, if I don't advertise them, who will? Right?
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    @PenguinFoop You save up award points from the whims (3 small bubbles with stuff your sim wants to do or buy etc. Fulfilling a wish gives typically 25-50 points.). Those points can be used to buy stuff incl traits - I think you find the link by clicking their aspiration. Examples are "frugal" which gives 25% discount on bills, "no need to sleep" etc. There are quite many, including the money tree.

No idea how this works on other than PC.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    @PenguinFoop You save up award points from the whims (3 small bubbles with stuff your sim wants to do or buy etc. Fulfilling a wish gives typically 25-50 points.). Those points can be used to buy stuff incl traits - I think you find the link by clicking their aspiration. Examples are "frugal" which gives 25% discount on bills, "no need to sleep" etc. There are quite many, including the money tree.

No idea how this works on other than PC.

Oh wow! I didn't realize that you could buy extra traits in there!!! Then again, I rarely use my AP. I always forget about them. lol
  • SamlishSamlish Posts: 232 Member
    edited April 2020
    This is an expansion/game pack tip since it involves hybrids, but one thing I wish I knew when I started out, please, I beg you, don't add hybrids to your game! Don't mix different occult types! I had a hybrid child once and she disappeared, so I had to age her up to a teenager in an old save file and she came back! If you have hybrids they can cause error codes and more! (From my experience :) )

Happy simming! :blush:
  • SolipsySolipsy Posts: 29 Member
    Samlish wrote: »
    This is an expansion/game pack tip since it involves hybrids, but one thing I wish I knew when I started out, please, I beg you, don't add hybrids to your game! Don't mix different occult types! I had a hybrid child once and she disappeared, so I had to age her up to a teenager in an old save file and she came back! If you have hybrids they can cause error codes and more! (From my experience :) )

Happy Simming! :blush:

I'm such a dork. I've got my ten-year forum-member badge, but I don't know what a "hybrid" is. Could you please explain a bit more? Thanks.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    Solipsy wrote: »
    Samlish wrote: »

Happy Simming! :blush:

I'm such a dork. I've got my ten-year forum-member badge, but I don't know what a "hybrid" is. Could you please explain a bit more? Thanks.

I'm not sure either, maybe like half alien half mermaid or something?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Yes, a hybrid is a mix of two or more occults - alien/mermaid, vampire/alien, etc.
  • SamlishSamlish Posts: 232 Member
    edited April 2020
    Sorry I didn't clarify! Yes, what @CaprianaB said! Like a half alien and a half vampire mix :)@Admiral8Q @Solipsy
  • RockyMightSimRockyMightSim Posts: 8 New Member
    What I wish I knew and still wish it, is how to goshdarn bild houses. Like, I just can't wrap my head around it. I've seen all the youtube videos and downloaded and edited so many lots from the gallery, but I just can't build! Maybe it's just not for me.,I'll just have to stick to live mode and let others build houses for me :'(