Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Search function for sims inventory please

I don't know why the inventory system is the way it is. It doesn't move stuff to the bottom or top of the list when something new is added, I can't figure out what method it uses for organizing things, and I have a very hard time finding things from the tiny thumbnails.

A search function would be extremely helpful. Sorting features would be nice as well. It would be great to sort by name (alphabetical descending or ascending), amount, price, and/or type. Metals could be in one tab, crystals in another, collectibles, etc... The search could be by name, type, or stat/aura.

While we're at it, adding a feature to search for something that has a bonus to environment or focus or similar things to the build/buy mode would be fantastic. So if I want to find everything that gives a bonus to focus or to confidence, etc, I'd be able to search for it. Would be nice for inventory as well.

Comments

• Options
    Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 58 Member
    Yes! The inventory right now is a total mess. I hate it so much I rarely open it.
    I requested this feature on AHQ many months ago but get so less attention.
    I'm glad you bring this topic up since I can't create a new one here.
    They should make it possible to sort by item type (book, vegetables, flower, fruit, etc), sort by name, genre (book), etc.
    It would be great if we are able to create our own tab.
    Hope this get enough attention or it won't happen forever.

answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/Inventory-Feature/td-p/8210398
  • Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    I completely agree! I've been wanting to sort those things all separately. I really don't understand the sorting system currently in use and I can't seem to find any mods to search. I was going to ask Scumbumbo to make one, but he passed away.
    Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Having played the science career, I can definitly agree. That would be a nice QoL improvement.
  • Options
    VividVivid Posts: 44 Member
    Ahh yes, this would be fantastic. The inventory really is like a labyrinth of items right, I can't seem to make any sense of it.

I would specifically like tabs with certain types of items. To me having a tab for every different collectible item would be really handy.
    And then one with functional items. My sim I living off the grid, traveling all over the world collecting stuff, and she is constantly drawing out her tent and other camping equipment. It would be great if those were listed somewhere in my inventory that actually made sense.
  • Options
    Vivid wrote: »
    Ahh yes, this would be fantastic. The inventory really is like a labyrinth of items right, I can't seem to make any sense of it.

I would specifically like tabs with certain types of items. To me having a tab for every different collectible item would be really handy.
    And then one with functional items. My sim I living off the grid, traveling all over the world collecting stuff, and she is constantly drawing out her tent and other camping equipment. It would be great if those were listed somewhere in my inventory that actually made sense.
    It really is frustrating. I studied record keeping in business classes & for the life of me can't figure out the method used for inventory display. It seems so random.
    One of the worst parts is, if I move something or if I select to view more of a particular object and place that object in the world, the inventory window scrolls back up to the top & I lose my place. It makes trying to find all of my crystals and metals so much harder.
    I created a cloning machine in science career & I like to clone stuff so I won't have only 1 that will get used up. Btw, always clone stuff before you take a microscopic sample because once you clone one that has been sampled, the clones can't be sampled.

EA, pretty please add these features? We have a search bar for build/buy mode, why not sims' inventory?
  • Options
    Suceress wrote: »
    It really is frustrating. I studied record keeping in business classes & for the life of me can't figure out the method used for inventory display. It seems so random.
    One of the worst parts is, if I move something or if I select to view more of a particular object and place that object in the world, the inventory window scrolls back up to the top & I lose my place. It makes trying to find all of my crystals and metals so much harder.
    I created a cloning machine in science career & I like to clone stuff so I won't have only 1 that will get used up. Btw, always clone stuff before you take a microscopic sample because once you clone one that has been sampled, the clones can't be sampled.

EA, pretty please add these features? We have a search bar for build/buy mode, why not sims' inventory?

I remember I have a problem back then when I moved my household to another lot. I'm not perfectly sure what problem is that, but something like dragging vegetables/fruits from the Household inventory to the floor so many times (maybe around 50 times) because I can't transfer these items directly to Sims inventory. So we also need a fix for this problem.
    I think not everyone experiences this problem since it rarely happen in daily play.
  • Options
    PerunaPeruna Posts: 101 Member
    God yes. My favourite is when I try to discard something out of a sim's inventory, then the window does that exact thing you described, and I end up accidentally discarding something else entirely!

But yes, on the actual topic, YES PLEASE. Search function, sorting options, different tabs for different things...anything, please! And maybe some sort of group functions where you could mark several items and move/discard/sell all of the marked at the same time.
  • Options
    coogee78coogee78 Posts: 177 Member
    This is something that I desperately want to see being addressed. The inventory is a real pain to use.
  • Options
    If the window would stay where you left it it wouldn't be so bad, but noooo. LOL. But a search function would really help.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Are you talking about your sims personal inventory? I try and keep mine as empty as possible, as it’s been reported as causing routing issues, and other problems for your sims in game (having huge inventories).

You can store fruits and veg in the fridge, flowers in a florist table etc. And don’t forget you can buy inventory boxes to empty out your personal inventory. Plus all the different “display” items for collectibles, you can kinda sort things out..? I dunno, the second I found out large inventories cause issues, I always make an effort to keep mine empty or as low as possible. Like you guys are mentioning, the personal inventory itself also bugs out when overloaded.

...Hold on, I’m pretty sure you can access the storage box inventory - under household inventory in BB, can you not search through it from there?
  • Options
    ddd994, Part of my problem is that my Sim needs to have certain items in his inventory to accomplish tasks at work for career advancement. He needs to analyze a plant, analyze a crystal, analyze metal, invent a new machine (which requires parts), create new serums (which requires plants), etc. He also needs to keep the SimRay in his inventory.
    Speaking of storage, it would be nice if there was a fridge that sort of froze the quality of an item that can rot so it doesn't decay at all.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited April 2020
    Speaking of storage, it would be nice if there was a fridge that sort of froze the quality of an item that can rot so it doesn't decay at all.

It would be great if we had a freezer section and we had to thaw out the food to cook it just to add a little more potential tension to the game!

Definitely agree with the inventory issue. I like the fact that we can at least move the items in our inventories in TS3 (it is tedious if your inventory is large, but at least it is possible). I hate the random scattering.

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    Everyone, looks like we gonna get Inventory management pretty soon
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Everyone, looks like we gonna get Inventory management pretty soon

I’m intrigued
  • Options
    So, I guess this is now moot since they have given us better inventory management. I haven't played since the patch so I'm about to go check it out. I've seen screenshots & it seems we can now sort items by category, set favorite items, etc. Vast improvement over the old system. Thank you, EA devs!!!