Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your favorite and least favorite things about Discover University?

I know it's a pack everyone wanted for a long, long while. I still haven't bought it, however, cause I don't know if it's worth it. I'm kind of intrigued by the robots and having roommates.
The only expansion packs that I don't have are Discover University and Cats & Dogs.
Also, someone tell me, what interactions can you have with the robots? Simbots and Plumbots were one of the best things about Sims 3, hands down.

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I was never a fan of previous uni versions so am surprised that I quite like this one.

I like that it seems like a challenge to get A+ grades (though once you know what to do, the challenge is lessened somewhat). I like the bikes, and the fact you can have roommates in a normal house or apartment. And there is some nice furniture and clothing and hair.

One of the things I dislike is that you need 12 credits to graduate, as this means you have to do at least 3 semesters. I wish they had cut it to 8 as it can get a little repetitive.

I haven't made a servo yet but I believe they are pretty much like having another sim. I did come across a party bot in the commons once and it had options to play music and order food.

I made a cleaner bot which floated around aimlessly and didn't actually clean anything. I also made an exo suit thing that my sim wore but it doesn't seem to do anything. And my sim constantly gets shocked from working at the robotics table so he never gets much done there really.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited March 2020
    Favorite thing so far, for me, is having a choice of rival institutions. Britechester holding the line for the hederated gothic ivory tower old school academe, and Foxbury for the innovative, future-forging, technical institute. So far, I have put one Sim through each, and while the mechanics are the same, the mood does feel different just from the ambient surroundings.

Least favorite thing, the clothing selection. Neither the athletic gear nor the preppy ivy league looks are really my style at all. On the other hand, I have heard other Simmers say they especially enjoy them! I'm glad for that. It may not be my thing, but it really doesn't have to be, if someone else is getting use from it.

I have only just touched the tip of the iceberg with robotics, and have an awful lot to learn there still. My Foxbury Sim got sidetracked by relationship drama and became pregnant out of wedlock, so the robotics bench has taken a back seat to the Toddler care. ;)
  • dnranadnrana Posts: 119 Member
    This feels like a whittled down version of the TS3 University to me. I miss interactive classes and Sororities that TS3 offered. This pack starts to feel like hard work playing from the get go and quickly becomes monotonous. I liked the dorms and having roommates but I found the design of the rooms didn't really make sense. I wish I could edit these areas. I definitely regret buying this pack.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I hated how long it took to get a degree so I ended up cheating to get a degree. It took too much grinding for me at times, I was playing three students and none of them ever had much time to do anything aside from study and go to class (which I guess is realistic but it wasn't fun to play)
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    @dnrana you can edit the dorms.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Favourite - bicycles. Riding around on them is like cheating the fun need.

Least favourite - at the moment, roommates. Albeit I've only tried it once, I had my sim ask a friend to be a roommate but they seem to be programmed to be annoying. So it seems roommates should be treated as a thing that helps pay the bills.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I concur that 12 credits is a bit much--sim lives just aren't that long! So, I use a mod that lets you graduate with fewer credits, and also extend the life stages so university time seems more proportional. I should add that I usually don't spend more than one semester in a dorm--it can be fun for a bit, but taking classes from "home" is objectively just better I'm afraid. Also, it can be a bit of a bummer for rotational play--if you spend weeks with one sim at university, any other households can get pretty neglected, since you really CAN'T leave a university attending sim to their own devices. Depending on how much attention you want to pay to other stories, you might want to turn aging off for non-active households, or off completely. And I must admit, I haven't been as active with all the "on campus" activities cause, well...they just don't seem super interesting lol.

With that said, I still tend to really enjoy it, even with the rabbit hole classes and some other goofy things lol.

Things I like:

Meeting random sims through roommates and school organizations. It can be a fun way to create relationships with sims with similar--and not similar!--interests.

Building skills doing homework and projects and such, sometimes in areas that I might not think to have my sim build skills. Core curriculum classes usually cover at least a few different skills which is nice, and then there's electives, so it's a good way to keep your sim a bit rounded.

That career boost yo! For aspirations that require getting high up in a career, like Tech Guru for instance, I think university is TOTALLY worth it. You can work on getting your skills up and completing the early milestones while at school, then BOOM! Already at level 7 or 8 career straight out of graduation. (Just make sure obvs. that your sims major is for the careers you want them to have lol.) I even found that, if you can balance it right, you can work entry level at the career you want while going to school, then quit after graduation and re-enter skipping up the ranks, which for some stories I was doing I quite liked (tho keep in mind that is much easier to do with work from home careers, and I use some mods that make more careers have work from home options than available in the regular game).

Scholarships also feel like a nice reward for having an active, well-skilled teenager, which is pretty cool.

Finally, for me, It's just kinda nice for some stories, like I mentioned. So far, I've sent a few different sims to university. A couple were sims that had been born in game and I raised through to young adult, and sending them to university seemed like a logical next step in their lives--and the lives of their parents. One was a young adult sim I created, who ended up meeting their future spouse there (they were in the same dorm, and also had the same major). And then another was an adult sim who had put her life kinda on hold raise a child after getting unexpectedly pregnant just after high school, and went back to university to complete the degree they'd always wanted when their kid had gotten older.

So, over all, I think it's a decent pack, but as usual, a lot of it depends on what you want to do, and what you're ready to bring to it. And of course, mods. Always mods, mods, mods lol.
  • gallerysims4gallerysims4 Posts: 267 Member
    Favourite Thing:

I really like the CAS items as they look like something that would be Custom Content. The CAS in Discover Universities is essential for my game!

Least Favourite Thing:

I wish there were more residential lots in Britechester. I wish there were more lots but I also wish that the lots were bigger so I could house a decent sized family on them!
    Feel free to check out my Instagram where I post pictures of my Sims 4 Legacy at https://instagram.com/gallery.sims4

Check out some Weekly CAS Challenges here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/976290/weekly-cas-challenges

My SimLit Stories: https://gallerysims4.wixsite.com/simlit
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Favorites: Wider range of majors - I am a Humanities guy and "Fine Art" in TS3 was not enough for me. Runner up: I have wanted an Education and Law career track for a while.

Least Favorite: CAS items - I don't think I have used more than one or two on my Sims. But I am sincerely happy to know that they are someone else's favorite thing. I don't need to like everything in a pack to enjoy it. :)
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,554 Member
    edited April 2020
    I enjoy DU very much but what really sucks is the graduation ceremony. It is buggy and extremely boring.

I'd rather have a party you could throw yourself where your Sim would get the graduation picture as a reward at the end and the host would change into the graduation robe during the event.
    Post edited by 83bienchen on
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Favourite thing for me is the challenge. I find university requires different kind of concentration than regular gameplay. I like the weekly rhythm and specific goals it adds.

I don't like bikes much because they seem buggy for me - sims not being able to route, sims biking indoors, played sims who I'd never give a bike biking etc.
  • eMac90eMac90 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey all.. I need some help - When I first started playing, there was a school spirit even, and the ping pong tables were out and juice kegs etc. Now every time my sims son (now at Foxbury) goes to the school spirit event, there is no one in the quad, no mascot, absolutely nothing going on. It is really frustrating because this expansion pack is already lacking in certain features, ie you don't see the graduation, and there is no option to add a graduation party, which is lame. Now I seem to not be able to enjoy the events either.. The only thing I can think offs I edited the top of the Foxbury commons (all I did was add another floor and put some tennis table tables on top, so I am not sure if that is the issue. Is anyone else having this issue? Ta
  • eMac90eMac90 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @83bienchen said:
    > I enjoy DU very much but what really sucks is the graduation ceremony. It is buggy and extremely boring.
    >
    > I'd rather have a party you could throw yourself were your Sim would get the graduation picture as a reward at the end and the host would change into the graduation robe during the event.

YES, I feel like your time at uni is basically a wash because there is no real celebration after
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    My opinion on Uni is a little bit biased because the game has glitched or what have you and my character ended up getting flunked out for cheating he didn't commit.

On overall scheme of things, University is simply a stepping stone for sims and should be treated as such. Once you graduate, it has little further use for you EXCEPT for the ability to train skills for a small fee. This feature is awesome!

University is very self-contained. You must go there and actually live in the dorm to get full value out of it. This self contained nature is a good thing.

The bad thing about it is that it doesn't work well with other expansions and game pack. Case in point - vampire will not have to deal with half of the issues that arise on the campus and thus will have more time for studies, potentially rendering many challenges moot. You don;t even need to be that powerful as a vampire.

Student organizations are a questionable feature, at least for me.

Robotics skill relies too much on forced damping in order to make it last longer.

All in all, if I have to pick one favorite thing - it'll be skill courses. Awesome addition to the game. Lease favorite thing will be relative irrelevance of the actual university. Basically, you're going there for the dorm. University is an afterthought.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    This was a pack I wasn’t interested in however I really like the university gameplay style and flexibility of it. I don’t like the dorm living and always have my sims live on normal lots and go to uni that way. I use the flats in city living more as a dorm style living as a “student dorm” and with the whole noisy neighbour thing it works well for my students. The only thing I really don’t like which is a very unpopular opinion is I hate the cas style so much I rarely use any items from cas apart from one pair of jeans for males. I don’t get the hype over the cas items at all. Even the bb items I’m not too fussed about and don’t really use too much.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Favorite - Going to University
    Least Favorite - Keeping track of University Coursework
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited April 2020
    I thought I was going to hate this pack and waited for a sale. I have been enjoying it but I deleted the residences and made an internet cafe bowling alley, a gym and I am debating adding a nightclub or a lounge.

Favorite are some of the organizations even though they started to feel grindy but I started going to some of the events and not all and that was better.

Least Favorite is a toss up between the violinist roommates and the unnecessary garbage all over the dorm.

I have stayed away from the secret societies because I heard it was poorly done and sprites follow you forever. That sounds like a nuisance but I cannot judge it because I have not played it at all.
  • candystormcandystorm Posts: 321 Member
    I was so excited about this pack, I loved it in Sims 3. But the Sims 4 version just takes SO long to actually get the degree. I put one of my Sims through University and it took so long that it puts me off from putting any other Sims through it. He also kept missing classes for some reason even though he was stood right outside the building.

I ended up having to use a mod to reset him back to the start of young adulthood after he graduated.

I do miss seeing them in lectures like Sims 3.

Origin: twinklegalaxy
    Grim-Reaper-Sim.jpg

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited April 2020
    Favorite - The challenge, getting A+ is actually difficult.
    Least Favorite - The limitations of the sims4 engine, it feels more like people are pretending to be at university to be honest.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Gotta update with one thing I despise - sims appearing as uni students who definitely are not students!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Favorite: bicycles
    Least favorIte: rotational play difficulties
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    Least favorite: Dorms.. dorms.. I ended up hating them as I did at sims2.
    Favorite: Because of the least favorite , those darn dorms all are residential now and my rich sims have 4 more penthouses to live at :D
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    I like being able to skip career levels and get more pay. I dislike when my sims leave their original household to live in dorms. Their family treats them like strangers when they visit home. Although that final one might no be just a university issue.
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    edited April 2020
    I love the class schedules and stuff, and enjoying my sim being kitted out for life by doing stuff like gaining charisma skills when she hands in a presentation. I love little details like that.
    I also really, really enjoyed the robotics aspect of it - since Get To Work I've been really wanting robots in an expansion pack and I was NOT dissapointed.
    I hate the fact that a really long-running glitch I have has just become a huge issue; my sim can't got to work anywhere but from her home lot. This doesn't apply to university classes, but for her soccer club, it's become really annoying as she's basically living at the foxbury commons (literally - she has a camping bed set up there). It's not really an issue with the pack as I've had the glitch since I got the game, but it sure is bugging me.
    An actual issue with the pack itself is the fact that, for me at least, if my sim has pets it counts them as human sims in the household. So to get a roommate, my sim has to build six beds - one for her, four for her pets as it's counting them as human sims, and one for the roomate she wants. And no, pet beds do not count.
    banner.png
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited April 2020
    favorite? i'd say the work it takes to actually get a high grade degree :D it actually takes quite some effort to get an a+ degree thus making it more authentic: will you choose to take your education serious thus doing all your homework and Always be on time, or do you shrug and just party like no tomorrow risking a drop in grades due to oversleeping or having no time to finish your homework in time

least favorite: anyone who knows me will see this coming….but yeah the massive amount of random generated trash the campus area triggers to spawn -.- dorm life also doesn't work for me since all your roomies will be random generated pears anyways… and since i avoid talking to the randoms entirely and only bother with premades...yeah dorm life gets lonely XD so there is no point for me to bother with it.