Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When are you guys going to let players join each others game?

Comments

• SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited March 2020
    Re: Online RPGs not being "so bad" for multiplayer: One of the first few times I played Runescape (over a decade, maybe 2 ago), when I "prayed" at someone's tombstone, my character was immediately killed off by another character. Then, the next time I played, I mentioned I wanted to explore. Another player led me into the "wilderness" where monsters level 55 killed off my level 2 character.

D&D online: My husband was into that game until a member of his group, which he personally knew, spread poisonous rumors about him until nobody would game with him anymore in that game.

Path of Exile: Occasionally some rudeness in chat, but Player vs Player combat, which is always optional, seems to take some of the aggressive players away from bothering other players since they are busy fighting it out with players who want to fight. You can join groups to complete goals, but I stopped doing that since I noticed only one player seems to get credit for killing the boss. NOT recommended for anyone under 18, unless they are a very mature 16 or 17 year old, since there is a lot of gory decorations and grotesque monsters in this game. Kind of like DOOM or Quake was.

Finally, if you think Sims multiplayer is a great idea, consider this: Sims online went offline (though recently some players are trying to bring it back online with fan servers). Sims 3 Showtime was one of the least popular EP packs, and few people used the option to hold performances in other players games. Sweet Treats was probably the least popular pack though, but I enjoyed it. Sims Social had too much network lag, and you literally could not build anything unless you had lots of player friends (usually strangers), or spent real money on the game to get parts. So I ended up with lots of boxes and hardly anything built. Eventually, Sims Social died.

City Girl Life is still going on fairly strong, and offers both furnishings and avatar clothing, makeup and accessories. All avatars in the game are female, and other than other female avatars, you do not actually see the male avatars except as a cartoon which is part of an event and/or career task. But it doesn't require as much real money just to succeed in the game, just a willingness to play regularly, but it does practically force you to friend strangers to succeed, since each job promotion requires a certain number of friends, ranging from 2 to 8, for each promotion. Also, they offer new content EVERY week, with limited time items.

Second Life: I once got permanently kicked off a lot since I was curious about a box lying around that I wanted to know who was the owner, and I couldn't figure out how to use the map teleport in time when I saw the warning to leave the lot. Also, if you are worried about "supernatural" or "occult" content in the Sims, trust me there is far more of it in Second Life.

Avakin Life: Open to players 13 years old or older, except in countries where privacy laws prevent players younger than 16 from signing up (unless they swear they have parental permission). Adult stuff does happen, so it is more recommended for players over 18. Also, there is a LOT of flirting in this game, and one time I went into a public chat area that was designed to look like a bar...and they were having chat group sex. Out where everyone who entered the area could see it, not even just whispering to each other. Another time, two male avatars followed me into my "apartment". I simply gave them game tips and gifts with gems I had earned from the apartments, and nothing happened. However, mention of alcohol is censored there, and they do not have any functional gambling in the game, other than the daily spin - which you can only do once or twice a day, and which helps solo players who just want to participate in fashion contests or decorate their "apartments" get the game currency they need to do so.

The problem with limited time items, which attract players to keep playing, is that sometimes you have to miss a day or so of play, and then you miss out. No matter whether it is camp, or vacation, a busy day working overtime, a day attending to a family emergency - or your own hospitalization, or playing a different game on your PC because you need a change from mobile/online games. And I always find myself kind of resenting it when that happens since the chance to get them again rarely comes around.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited March 2020
    I rather play Animal Crossing New Horizons. It has much better game play and story and stronger servers and a kinder community and better events and better chat system and overall consistent good graphics. Plus nice being able to play it on my Switch which is far more mobile. So I'm very much looking forward to playing it with Simmers and non-Simmers I've met. I enjoy Stardew Valley a lot too. Sims just can't handle the heavy competition of existing games out there and even their own mobile games to even venture into MMO land again. It is like why risk the failure again when the mobile versions are so much cheaper to develop and far more profitable than a PC MMO game would ever be? It just seems like a bad business decision to repeat bad history again.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Pretty cool looking free to play mobile game I found out about today that makes Sims 4 CAS seem weak. Mobile games have come a long way and think will even make PC games have to step up their game. It is called Dragon Raja and has the hair physics that the Sims 2 had. Animal Crossing New Horizons has hair physics too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJxflBQpnE
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Pretty cool looking free to play mobile game I found out about today that makes Sims 4 CAS seem weak. Mobile games have come a long way and think will even make PC games have to step up their game. It is called Dragon Raja and has the hair physics that the Sims 2 had. Animal Crossing New Horizons has hair physics too:

Maybe mobile games don't have to worry about graphics and can continue to use 2D rather than 3D, and if they do use 3D then the pixels aren't very big compared to someone who plays these Sim games on a 32" screen. To me textures and graphics and 'depth' 3D matter.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »

Maybe mobile games don't have to worry about graphics and can continue to use 2D rather than 3D, and if they do use 3D then the pixels aren't very big compared to someone who plays these Sim games on a 32" screen. To me textures and graphics and 'depth' 3D matter.
    Technically the engine they use is the same for many Steam PC games too. It was developed with the Unreal engine. Sims 4 well uses the same low-poly graphics that its mobile counterparts use and small world design and engine that SimCity 2013 used. I remember there was a thread of all the graphics back to back and Sims 4 does not use modern graphics. Sims 2 and 3 did and still looks more modern. Why when the Sims 4 is done, people will easily move on from it just because its newness will wear off fast and they will move onto the next pretty looking game. It is like when Sims 4 only has shallow graphics, not going to be much to keep Simmers around in the long run with it.
  • SimsQueerSimsQueer Posts: 103 Member
    if it's at the expense of gameplay, modding and storytelling, then hopefully never.
  • SimsQueerSimsQueer Posts: 103 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    To the rest of the replies, I can't quite grasp how you're entirely opposed to multiplayer, something to potentially add more hours to the game to those of us with friends, yet you're fine with watered-down packs and partially-working if not broken basic features.
    @charlesberg No, I am not fine with it and no, I will not allow you to generalize myself within that group of people. Even though there are unfortunately in fact a group of players who enable The Sims Studio to continue with it. I am not them. :|

Adding multiplayer or keeping it single player (as it should be) doesn’t necessarily define “added hours of gameplay”. In defense of The Sims 3, The Sims 2, The Sims 1, The Elder Scrolls series, The Witcher and many more successful single-player games out there.

And Fallout 76...
    I'm a huge Fallout fan but it's just so bad that I haven't even bought it. It's overpriced and doesn't even work well - something that I definitely don't want to happen to The Sims.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,289 Member
    edited March 2020
    When are you guys going to let players join each others game? Like play with other players?...... I think that would be awesome!

If the way it was 'handled' in Sims3 is the only option, then I would have to say never. At that time, you may recall (if you played Sims3 and you had ShowTime), that you could send your Sim to perform via Simport. That way the accepting player would be able to see the incoming Sim do their thing (I always played a Singer) and when he was gone from my game for 12 Sim hours, he was grayed out in my game, meaning I couldn't do anything with him until he returned. I hated it. And, before he could complete any of the 'reward bookings', people stopped accepting invitations to have my Sim perform in their game. I was always happy to host their Sims, too. So, I don't know where it all went sour.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited March 2020
    When are you guys going to let players join each others game? Like play with other players?...... I think that would be awesome!

If the way it was 'handled' in Sims3 is the only option, then I would have to say never. At that time, you may recall (if you played Sims3 and you had ShowTime), that you could send your Sim to perform via Simport. That way the accepting player would be able to see the incoming Sim do their thing (I always played a Singer) and when he was gone from my game for 12 Sim hours, he was grayed out in my game, meaning I couldn't do anything with him until he returned. I hated it. And, before he could complete any of the 'reward bookings', people stopped accepting invitations to have my Sim perform in their game. I was always happy to host their Sims, too. So, I don't know where it all went sour.

I actually tried Simport and got pretty far with the tasks to fill up and get those clothes etc. I also had thousands of requests for me to befriend others so I could hosts their Sims. It was a pain in the neck to say the least. I couldn't save, log off and or do anything but wait on someone else's Sim. And how it was implemented if my Sim didn't go 'watch' the other Sim the other person didn't get any credit for sending the Sim to my game. That's how it went sour. No way to save while waiting, no way to log off game, and or quit. And even worse Real Time waiting. I would accept a request in my game and it would be 9:00 P.M. and I had to wait until like 7:00 P.M the next night....couldn't stop playing and I never play on ultra speed, and at the moment I was busy with my Sim families I had to stop and go watch someone else's Sim. That was such a bad design all the way around.

Over time the lag (cache file overload) was unbearable because of EA's Buddy L servers. I finally had to put a notice on my page I couldn't accept Sims anymore for Simport, the lag and other problems were just too much.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    No not in my game! It is like when you are writing a book or drawing a comic, you don not want someone suddenly jumping in and changing the story to something else that you intended. The game in it self already has a effect on the story when Sims who should not be there pop up in Strangerville for example, but that I can live with. It would not be okey if some other player showed up unnoticed and romanced, married or killed one of my Sims that I was not at the moment playing.

Five Brindies
  • queencornholioqueencornholio Posts: 24 Member
    I'm sure this has already been said in this thread, but I was around when Sims Online dropped; it was not a fun time. It was a big time waster since you could fast forward time as it went by real time since it was online. I was super poor and had to mooch off of other players, lol, because my parents refused to pay for a monthly sub (understandable).

If the Sims 5 Online rumors are legit, then I'll consider it if they actually revamp a lot of the features and don't go The Sims Online route.
  • suetoopsuetoop Posts: 34 Member
    Never! It would not be awesome, it would be the end of the Sims for me. If Sims 5 is an online game I am finished after 20 years with the franchise. (Remember SimCity? The Sims Online? The Sims Social?) My Simmies are mine alone, I don't want anyone coming into my world that I can not control. I don't want adults with questionable motives interacting with my grandchildren, blowing up my game, killing my sims and wrecking the world that I created for my Simmies to enjoy. You know how EA operates; single player options would be ignored while all the dev's efforts would go into making multi-player options. Think about it! There could be no customization, no mods (what if I had a game enhancement that you didn't have, how would that work? It wouldn't) Gameplay would be severely limited and even more watered down than it is now.

@charlesberg Not everyone is satisfied with the quality of the packs being produced for the Sims4, in my opinion the weakest game of the franchise. Unfortunately, some people will buy anything with The Sims name and EA knows it. What makes you think they will try any harder with Sims 5 when they know they can produce buggy, content-lacking games and DLC with apparently little effort or quality control and people will pay good money for them regardless?
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    No. Just no.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    No thanks. Defo not for me and my playing tastes.
  • TheRepoManSamTheRepoManSam Posts: 16 Member
    That’s not safe. I remember creating a household in TS2 back when it came out. My friends who came over to visit me would take turns playing with the family I created. Those were my beloved childhood friends, not strangers, and I still cringed silently to myself as I watched my sims comfort levels drop.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I might consider it the day RMS Titanic makes port in Boston Harbor under her own steam.
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,764 Member
    I don’t like the idea of other players interfering in my game. Just thinking about someone destroying my Sims house (tearing down walls, selling objects, or even just ruining the plans for my family) makes me shudder.
  • Cardpuppet17Cardpuppet17 Posts: 4 New Member
    I would love the *option* for *local co-op* in an otherwise fully-fledged *single player* game
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I don’t like the idea of other players interfering in my game. Just thinking about someone destroying my Sims house (tearing down walls, selling objects, or even just ruining the plans for my family) makes me shudder.

The thing is there will be a lot of issues with that. Imagine if three or four people are trying to do renovations at the same time?

You place a window and then a second later someone else has removed it and then you place a sofa to find that half a second before someone placed a table there.

It does not work like that so lets not go there! :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,764 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 I agree. I think if people want a game where they can play together, they might want to look elsewhere. Sims just isn’t compatible with that kind of play. Only way it works with building would be restricting it to your house only but I wouldn’t join other people.
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    Ehhh...I’ll take a super strong PASS on this one. They can create a different game for those who really want it, like a “sims online 2” or something but not for the sims 5 if they ever come out with that
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    I hope never
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
    edited May 2020
    OP can you imagine you set up your Sim to get involved with a particular Sim to only come back and another player has married your Sim off to someone else, and or worse their Sim and you don't like that player? lol For whatever reason, maybe they are rude or just too dominating or whatever. Or you left your game and other players have moved your Sims out and taken over the house? (they bought up some properties on a land rush while you were away). Can you imagine your Sim needs a promotion and you have to find fifteen real friends on line? Then because you did they get all sorts of emails and ads in their games? Isn't that fun? The game starts contacting everyone on your phone or account who are your contacts (maybe it's your doctor or attorney) to play this game, the notice will tell them you recommend it. Then in turn the game starts grabbing up all their contacts and their phones or accounts get spam because a company sold their private info to other third party 'partners'. Sure, have fun but remember nothing is ever free nor is the game online a game the actual purpose is to buy and sell your info and everyone elses. Then one day you get those spam calls about your car warranty is expiring when you don't even own a car, and have to wonder how did they get your private number. That's how.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    I mean...if they add such a thing, I won't be using it at all. I don't want other players running amok in my save files. And I could see this potentially breaking a lot of things in the game....
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1