Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you play The Sims?

Comments

• ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    I'm a family player, but aging is off. My favourite thing to do in the game is explore the worlds for interesting things, like areas I might have missed.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    I create families while trying to see how some of my favorites could be improved. When I play a game, I tend to always have sims start learning to cook and fix things. All of my sims will know how to fix things. I'm still figuring things out after all this time however as I still don't know if I prefer singles in a roof or a family with a toddler.
  • MindofyMindofy Posts: 313 Member
    I start with one Sim, start a family, and have their kids spread out and start their own families. I play all of them in rotation while updating townies whenever a new sim is born to one of my families.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    Oh, where to start!? I feel playing this game is like living a double life, not only for one household, but I play a full community including laws, nobility, stock market, council with 5 years elections, and I keep track on every individual cash account. I have so many plans for my community, but not enough time to do it all, even if I recently spent way too much time on it. It includes lots of organizing, scripting and reporting, too, as I base most of my youtube videos on real sims and locations in my game.

I am into programming, so when I think a registry with info we don't access easily in game would be useful, I create that registry. On my blog simmerville.blogspot.com there are links to the Residents Registry, Community Section (split into the Councilor's departments Law & Justice, Trades & Taxes, Culture & Entertainment, Health & Welfare, and finally Education & Science.

I've currently built a site where I can look into each nobility house's jewelry box. I needed that to keep track on what Duchess owns what necklace and tiara, because it would break all my illusions if a low nobility lady shows up wearing the Duchess' tiara, right? I wish we had personal dressers and jewelry boxes in game... (btw, the jewelry box site is not yet online, will be in a week or two).

My rotation includes 60+ households, might soon be 70. I play each house for only 1 day every other year, but if something exciting is ongoing, I can easily stay 5 days with one house, and skip a few unless they have birthdays etc. So, although the amount feels massive, I make sure to be flexible. Sometimes I even play a full year without anyone aging, just to get the time to focus on specific features, like when I want to enjoy a newly added pack.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Usually I start with a single young adult or a young adult couple with just the base money. They start out on either an empty lot with however much house they can afford to build, or in an apartment. When they can afford a place with enough rooms they start a family.

Then I either play one household through multiple generations, like a legacy without the rules, with the youngest always the heir, or I switch to rotational mode when the first spare moves out and usually one of the oldest is the heir. I've been playing my current rotational save for a little over a year now and since my sim had nine children it's gotten to be a pretty big rotation.
  • MayaioYTMayaioYT Posts: 38 Member
    I started with two sims & expanded :)
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I usually only play my simself which is my main save. It is now on it’s 3rd generation my simself’s grandchildren as young adults some with their own children, some single, some in relationships without kids. I will play rotational between all the main households, single and family depending on what suits that sim. I will play other households in the save mainly the goth family generation as I’ve also invested in that family but only as it has close ties to my simself family. Until I joined this forum I never realised how people play sims differently and I had never even heard of challenges before. I’ve always played my simself even since sims 1 and it’s the only gameplay style I find most enjoyable.
  • LaniNeptuneLaniNeptune Posts: 19 Member
    I play The Sims in a variety of ways. I build as close to my house/apartment that I currently live in to help me figure out where to place furniture. I love building houses and furnishing them, sometimes I use house plans but mostly I just have fun making something. Occasionally I make a Sim or eight for a house I want to build.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    MayaioYT wrote: »
    I started with two sims & expanded :)

I started with one sim, expanded from there. She has like 2 or 3 dozen decedents by now, I think? I'd have to look in-game and count.

I have started different ones more lately, or took over premades, or NPC's that were interesting (With some tweaking of course).
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• MuddyPuddles13MuddyPuddles13 Posts: 1 New Member
    I usually create one sim and go from there. I get bored easily though.

I once created 7 single sims (each one to represent one of the 7 sins) and played them on rotation. That was good fun. I still have that save but not played it in forever.

I also have a save that I am slowly rebuilding every neighbourhood.

My current main save is a super sim challenge. I realised my super sim would need to start as a baby to gain all the toddler bonuses so I created a single female sim with the intention of maxing out cooking, gardening, handiness and parenting skills, then having them become pregnant by a spellcaster and the child will then become my super sim.

I am having a lot of fun playing with the "mother" so have turned aging off for now. I started the game as her being a homeless teen with no money. They are now a YA studying an advanced degree in biology, have their own house, a garden full of magnificent harvestables, a cow plant called Moo and an adopted dog called Willow. They have maxed out 5 skills but are only at Level 1 in parenting (oops). Once they become an adult I will turn my focus back to creating a super sim child
  • DylanJ10000DylanJ10000 Posts: 22 Member
    It depends on how I want to do it. When I was recreating my character (transferring from XB1 to PC) I used cheats to get all of his skills to the same level, as well as his job, before saving him to my Library. From then on, I usually play without cheats, unless I'm looking for a good time
  • starrling33starrling33 Posts: 87 Member
    WOW! I love all these ideas, because I get bored very easily. I have one world where I just build houses. Then I save them to my own "gallery" or whatever you call it and place them in various worlds. Also, I've begun several legacy challenges, but I get bored around the 4th generation and bail out. Yes... sorry.

Recently, I've enjoyed creating a single YA with a pet and let them be writers (like I am), or artists (like I wish I was LOL). It's SO much fun. And they shun visitors.

Sadly, I had many CC aspirations and traits, but now quite a few are broken and cannot be used. Simmers create lovely things, but then they retire (or die, thus breaking many hearts, not just for the CC).

BTW, Simming is helping to keep me sane (a relative term) during this coronavirus isolation. I cling to my little pixel people and pixel critters. They are my little bit of happiness. I can't seem to focus on anything deep (like working on my next book), so I just Sim. Yeah, that won't put food on the table, but this is temporary (I hope).
  • Tinkerbelle2Tinkerbelle2 Posts: 29 Member
    I have created myself and my family and our house a few times, but I tend to enjoy creating either one big family of all generations OR a young couple just starting out. Often I make two separate Sims living in the same neighbourhood and wait for them to meet, then begin a romantic relationship and take it from there. I don't tend to do anything that adventurous!
  • zensluvzensluv Posts: 87 Member
    edited March 2020
    I play at the universe level, rotating play with a number of families across the worlds. I like having different families with completely different story lines and sometimes they interweave together. I play with aging off, but age up families as I feel it is time. I play about half the families in the worlds, and most are a few generations in now.

So, I play saga-style across many families and I'm definitely a control freak, micromanaging god!I have about 460 saved Sims and a few ghosts to protect them from culling because I want my townies with certain traits, looks, and clothes. I make Sims all sizes, colors, cultures, types, good and bad. I go for traits that combine to create a very clear personality archetypes. I raise only the skills that make sense for their personality. Every Sim has a story, and their stories matter to each other. Plenty of Sims do not like each other. For example, my outdoorsy vegetarians and self-absorbed snobs tend to be a little mean to each other (brush off, argue about politics, etc).

I never get bored.

My fave story in this moment are the 'Smiths'. A family started by a gorgeous male alien who crash-landed as a teen in my 1960's/area-51 Oasis Springs. He fell in love with an evil (but sexy) mastermind - imagine a bad Bond girl. She has her own backstory. She became a world celebrity oracle with an atrocious reputation (aka super-villain) and these days spends all her time at her villainous lair concocting new ways to unleash mayhem. The funnest game play, is when there's a party or event and I'll send her there to freeze-ray everyone at the party. She gets so happy turning everyone to ice! Our alien hunk could not save her from herself, but they had twins, one human and one alien, and he took his daughter back to safe Sixam. He figured out how to return via the scientist career. Their son's got inner conflict between alien-dad and super-villain mom. So many family secrets!! I see a looming midlife crisis, unless something can turn that around for him. Meanwhile, the daughter learned about her Sixam orgins, and is now back and studying biology. She's just discovered vampires are real, via the plasma fruit, and is now searching for real vamps. She'll eventually find them because the 'Nightingales' are my vampire family hiding out in San Myshino, and she just met the great-grandson by chance at the University bar. Oh, it'll be a big vamp vs.alien family feud, for sure, especially when she falls in love with that vampire family's great-grandson. That'll REALLY start things! The vamps cannot feed on the aliens, so they may have a hard time fighting back. The great-grandson studied archaeology and has learned the ancient totems and their curses and blessings... in my mind they have an alien origin... hmmm.

Find my builds at #zensluv4real
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    I like family game play and finding collectibles.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    @Simmerville my head hurts just reading about such depth, I really have no idea how you do it!

@ChampandGirlie that sounds like my ideal game.

I have tried a number of times to play a single household and just cannot do it, I need the variety of rotational play. Or maybe I will just never get over my restartitis lol.

Recently I have attempted a few legacies and not got very far. I did start the Everything Legacy challenge but found it too boring to stick to one household so I am restarting it but spreading it across different households so that I can play rotationally.

I have the most fun when I can play a number of households around the different worlds and they can interact with each other and become involved in each others lives. Instead of looking after just one household, I feel like I am running entire towns and that makes it more enjoyable for me.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    I have a tendency to play only Sims I have created myself. I like to build the house they will live in. I will pull lots from the Gallery for things like restaurants and initially for the Road to Fame concert venues needed, until I could figure out how to build a few on my own. I tend to be on the obsessive side and I will play the very same family over and over and over again. Most of the time, it's because something untoward happened, or the game save glitched, or the mod I was experimenting with ruined the storyline by taking out the main cast of characters. Or, the save itself went corrupt preventing a mod to function fully.

I am now taking the same five YAs through uni together. Happily, I play the terms back-to-back and they are in their third term. But this is another reincarnation of my Cantrell family. I decided to experiment with a mod I just came across called Showtime KS is the creator, and I have come to trust her mods. Especially since they don't interfere with the Road to Fame mod that allowed me to have my singer Sim back. So, on the side of caution, I restarted the family. One. More. Time. But, it's all good. RTF is back to working properly, as in my teen was invited for photo-shoots, as it was meant to be, and once his Hitbeat points were high enough, he was invited to play concerts and as a teen, he could. The other save he had to be a YA to hold concerts (which showed me the mod wasn't properly functioning) but alas, he was never invited to a photoshoot to grace the cover of PBP magazine, or whatever the initials are. Being famous and getting a Magazine cover are synonymous. I really missed this aspect.

So, in this case my restart is already off to a fantastic beginning. I am very pleased. I also have the Private Practice mod. I was having loads of fun using it, since my Global Superstar's next younger brother is studying to become a physician. He was a Renown Surgeon in Sims3. This mod allowed him to get into "Med" School after he graduated from uni. He moved up the line to Chief Resident and I was stoked. I caved the third time he got a job offer and then found out, he could become a Surgeon through the mod. Face/palm. Yet another reason to restart.
    Erik:
    0JuAt7T.jpg
    Aaron, the eldest:
    R35ncZf.jpg

Joe, Jr. and the only girl, Brianna
    KE4P4aD.jpg

Erik and his Sweetheart, Tamela Durant:
    OkYD9Zf.jpg

The entire Cantrell Family, plus One: The redheaded boy at the end is the baby, Adrian
    YzIfCoH.jpg

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited April 2020
    I am a family player, but I love playing as if my sims lived in past decades. Currently, I am playing a decades challenge where I started in the 1790's. I have made it to the American Civil War era of the 1860's as of right now. I love playing with the gender role restrictions and other challenges. I do have to use mods in my game to accomplish my aesthetic and feels of the game.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    @Simmerville my head hurts just reading about such depth, I really have no idea how you do it!

@ChampandGirlie that sounds like my ideal game.

I have tried a number of times to play a single household and just cannot do it, I need the variety of rotational play. Or maybe I will just never get over my restartitis lol.

Recently I have attempted a few legacies and not got very far. I did start the Everything Legacy challenge but found it too boring to stick to one household so I am restarting it but spreading it across different households so that I can play rotationally.

I have the most fun when I can play a number of households around the different worlds and they can interact with each other and become involved in each others lives. Instead of looking after just one household, I feel like I am running entire towns and that makes it more enjoyable for me.

Thanks, it sounds like we have similar playing styles.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • candystormcandystorm Posts: 321 Member
    I play one family and try to have as many generations as possible. I usually pick the heir and continue that family. I am up to around 13 generations of the same family now.

I would like to start a new game where I play rotationally, but I haven't played that way since Sims 2 so I'd have no idea how to do it! Ideally, I'd like aging to be switched on for all unplayed households and switched on for the current rotational family I am playing. I would like aging to be switched off for any played families I am currently not playing. But I have no idea how do to that or if it's even possible.
    Origin: twinklegalaxy
    Grim-Reaper-Sim.jpg

• Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    How do I play the sims? Slowly!! And I use the pause button way to much. I can make a couple of days last an hour and I like to build and change things.
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • starrling33starrling33 Posts: 87 Member
    ......all my prisoners were random premades forced to wear hot dog suits.

This made me laugh - thank you! I can only imagine. hahaha

• CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • CoffeecrumblecakeCoffeecrumblecake Posts: 6,549 Member
    I'm more of a gameplayer than a builder, you know? The hot dog thing reminds me of how I contrastingly used to take the game wayyyy more seriously. I mean- I would make my sim look as perfect as possible and have them spend their life completing as many aspirations as possible and maxing as many skills as possible. I guess it can work as a kind of therapy to work with how real life is anything but perfect 😂 Then, once I became more experienced, I switched it up to keep it more interesting! After all, its a game that unlocks way to play with life that you may not neccesarily be able to actually do yourself.