Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whats the best expansion out of Pets, Seasons, and Bon Voyage?

StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
I have OFB, Uni, Nightlife and Freetime is coming on Friday. Ive never played the other 3 for Sims 2. I also plan to get Apartment Life because it seems like the best out of the rest, but I think id like one more besides it. What do you think? Which do you like the most?
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I prefer Seasons over Pets and BV. First they are all much better in my opinion than TS4's similar packs. However, I can't see ever playing another Sim version without weather and season changes in them. I can see myself not playing with pets, and or a vacation world etc. But for everyday life I have to have that weather, and those activities. It brings more realism to the worlds than say owning a dog who you teach a few commands and or maybe get it a job etc. They are all very good packs but to me Seasons makes the most sense.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I like Seasons more, too.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited March 2020
    Can't help but to recommand both seasons and BV, which are meant to be played together (well seasons impact worlds of BV). I spend litteraly half of my time on vacation, under the bright sun seasons provide.
    But here's the thing; seasons will be an integral of your game, while you can only enjoy B.V. when you take vacations. Personally I'd take both, but if I had to pick one, most certainly under torture (because it would be one to make a choice), I would go with seasons.
    Also, I don't recommand TS2 pets.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    Also, I don't recommand TS2 pets.

Why wouldn't you reccomend pets?

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Well first it messes with wants and fears, which I don't like (A seemingly locked fear of having one's pet spray, I mean come on). Also because at the time, us simmers were unhappy that no new 'hood came along the pack.
    I'm no pet expansion fan, but IMHO, this here is the weakest of the four generations of sims games (and god knows how much love I have for TS2), as there's nothing it does that hasn't been done better afterwards.
    With TS2 seasons, you can taste the original EP, fishing, the garden club, a new neighbourhood; Bon voyage will give you an experience you simply can't get in TS3 or 4: vacation with friends, and by that, I mean sims out of your played household. Also, a ton of things to do and discover. Pets gives you pets... and that's about it.
  • MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    Bon Voyage by far. The vacations locations are great and I love collecting the mementos. Bon Voyage is one of my favourite packs in the entire game. Like Dijktafone, it gives you an experience you can't truly get in The Sims 3 or 4.

Out of the other two, I vastly prefer Pets, because I actually use the pets, and it's certainly better than The Sims 4's embarrassing iteration of the Pets pack, Cats & Dogs.

Seasons, on the other hand, is my least favourite pack in The Sims 2 by quite a margin. I find Seasons just lacks so much, when I've been spoiled by The Sims 3 and 4 iterations of the pack. It adds little that I actually use - I dont use fishing or gardening in normal play, and the weather effects feel like no more than an aesthetic change. Not to mention Fishing and Gardening are in The Sims 3's base game and are more fleshed out there. There's basically no holiday-based content with the exception of Baby New Year and Santa Cookies. What is the point in a seasonal cycle if you're not going to add holidays? Animal Crossing had a seasonal cycle and holidays several years before The Sims 2 Seasons came out, Harvest Moon too. Basically every game that predates The Sims 2 with a seasonal cycle makes better use of it than The Sims 2 does. As much as I love The Sims 2, Seasons is just bland.

So yeah, TL;DR Bon Voyage > Pets > Seasons.
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I prefer Seasons over Bon Voyage or Pets.

Seasons adds boosts to things with each season. Spring boosts romantic interactions, summer boosts friendly interactions, fall boosts skilling and homework/term paper completion and increases work/grade porgress, winter boosts family interactions.

I don't send my Sims on vacation all that often and I find vacations in Sims 2 not that worth the cost to the Sims. There's not too much to do there that can't be done in the base neighborhood. I actually prefer Sims 1 and Sims 3 versions. Sims 1 had stuff to do there that was only available there and Sims 3 had the adventures that couldn't be done in the base world.

Sims 2 Pets were the best by far, but I don't have my Sims have pets all that often. And there's not much in the pack that's not centered around the pets themselves (not a bad thing, just lowers value if you don't have your Sims have pets often).
  • Demery27Demery27 Posts: 222 Member
    I love the realism of Seasons especially when it rains and thunders and the trees catch on fire. Bon Voyage is pretty cool too. I don't care for pets since you really can't do anything with them except teach them things or get them a job.
  • allmyfriendsaresimsallmyfriendsaresims Posts: 19 Member
    Absolutely Bon Voyage - so much fun and so much to explore and do. I miss Sims 2 :(
  • WillskyWillsky Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2020
    I still play the TS2 every now and then - definatley my favourite game in the series so far. Seasons, out of those 3 is my preferred expansion, the world of Riverblossom hills is tranquil and calming with its cliff and river and it definatley has a northern US/ southern Canadian country feel. It includes obviously seasons, a new clothing section and a revolutionised gardening system for the game. Which intergrates well with OFB (Expansion 3). - Will

Oh and if you were wondering my top 8 are:
    1. Freetime
    2. Apartment Life
    4. Seasons
    5. Bon Voyage
    6. University
    7. Nightlife
    7. Open for business & Pets ( I use them but the pack is less substansial compared to others)
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2020
    @Willsky I am enjoying freetime so far but the constant messages about joining clubs and them breaking in my house to invite me to secret lots are so annoying 😭 its too much on top of the phone ringing all night with friends saying 'we are becoming distant'

the gardening sounds really appealing for seasons

• WillskyWillsky Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2020
    @StrawberryYogurt - there's bound to be a mod which can fix that. I've download hundreds of CC and Mods for my Sims 2. To make it more realistic, I downloaded heating and cooling systems, new weather, improved camera and even terrain replacements. However, what I like about freetime is it adds a create way for Sims to make cash using OFB. I get most of my CC from a link of a website called PleasantSims. She has some great mods (which she has found herself and given credit to all creators).

I know this isn't related but there's also a person on MTS whom has some amazing house for TS2, called Plasticbox. Even today, there's still new builds on there and there all amazing. (if you were wondering :) )