Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Higher prices for lower quality: The sims 4 is the most lacking of the series to date?!

2...Next

Comments

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I had no idea that EA had stopped supporting the TS4 Legacy edition. WTH? TS4 hasn't concluded yet. How does EA release the game in 32-bit and then abandon it? Updates and bug fixes should have been ongoing until the entire iteration was put out to pasture. Basically, EA punished its own customers for the company's inexcusable shortsightedness, releasing a 32-bit game in flipping 2014!

I don't own the Legacy edition. However, by abandoning it, EA has further cemented my resolve that I won't be moving on to TS5. I'd always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. The company has no respect for its customer base. How did the series degenerate into this? How?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I had no idea that EA had stopped supporting the TS4 Legacy edition. WTH? TS4 hasn't concluded yet. How does EA release the game in 32-bit and then abandon it? Updates and bug fixes should have been ongoing until the entire iteration was put out to pasture. Basically, EA punished its own customers for the company's inexcusable shortsightedness, releasing a 32-bit game in flipping 2014!

I don't own the Legacy edition. However, by abandoning it, EA has further cemented my resolve that I won't be moving on to TS5. I'd always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. The company has no respect for its customer base. How did the series degenerate into this? How?

To be fair they said the legacy edition was only going to be packs that we're realise up to Realm of magic.The rest of the new content was only going to be for 64 bit.Which most people have .They have inform this. Also the game was not 32 bit at launch. Just that you had 32 bit you can still play.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited March 2020

To be fair they said the legacy edition was only going to be packs that we're realise up to Realm of magic.The rest of the new content was only going to be for 64 bit.Which most people have .They have inform this. Also the game was not 32 bit at launch. Just that you had 32 bit you can still play.

When TS4 launched, it was not 64-bit. IIRC, a 64-bit version wasn't announced until around about 2015, one year after launch.

I understand that Legacy players can't play anything that came after ROM. That has nothing to do with EA dropping support entirely, though. To my knowledge, EA supported previous TS games up until shortly before the launch of the next installment in the series or shortly thereafter. However, there is no TS5. There hasn't even been an announcement that TS5 is under development. It seems as if EA wants to extend the life span of TS4 to the ten-year mark. Yet the 32-bit players were abandoned, why?

There is no excuse for that. It was EA's boneheaded decision to launch a 32-bit game (especially after how TS3 had so many problems with insufficient memory to handle all of those packs). TS4 still has lots of BG issues and those players now have no hope of seeing any of it resolved. It's a shame, an inexcusable shame.

Edited to add: I'm discussing the Windows version.
    Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member

Overwhelming greed at the high corporate level. The lust for ever greater profits by any means possible while giving the least to those that buy the product. Sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

When TS4 launched, it was not 64-bit. IIRC, a 64-bit version wasn't announced until around about 2015, one year after launch.

I understand that Legacy players can't play anything that came after ROM. That has nothing to do with EA dropping support entirely, though. To my knowledge, EA supported previous TS games up until shortly before the launch of the next installment in the series or shortly thereafter. However, there is no TS5. There hasn't even been an announcement that TS5 is under development. It seems as if EA wants to extend the life span of TS4 to the ten-year mark. Yet the 32-bit players were abandoned, why?

There is no excuse for that. It was EA's boneheaded decision to launch a 32-bit game (especially after how TS3 had so many problems with insufficient memory to handle all of those packs). TS4 still has lots of BG issues and those players now have no hope of seeing any of it resolved. It's a shame, an inexcusable shame.

Edited to add: I'm discussing the Windows version.

Okay now I understand .
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Overwhelming greed at the high corporate level. The lust for ever greater profits by any means possible while giving the least to those that buy the product. Sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost.

This is not correct. They CLEARLY INFORMED that no new packs would have support for 32 bit.
    Also, 32bit is a dead architecture. Not even most Linux distros support 32 bit anymore.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • thenamebenatthenamebenat Posts: 1 New Member
    I just hate how expensive everything is. Id like it more if they made the base game free or at least a lot cheaper, and then allowed some of the extensions to come with the game.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited March 2020

How? When they announced that a legacy edition was happening they said it would not be compatible with any DLC released after it, the gallery, and that it would also not receive updates or bug fixes.

I’m just not seeing what there is to be upset about because EA was up front about it being left as-is for the remainder of Sims 4’s dev life all the way back in June 2019 when they announced it.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I think they would at least fix the packs with bug patches in the Legacy 32 bit game, since the game is not dead yet. If there are fixes for those packs it does contain they should at least patch it up. It would be unethical in my opinion to know of patches that would fix those packs' bugs then not give those patches to those who own the Legacy version.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Ethical or not they gave 32-bit players a 6 mo notice that support for their game would be ending.

Do you have the legacy edition? If not, why exactly is it an issue that they don’t continuously support a retired version of this game?
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    I really have a feeling that this sims team has a big love for builders.
    The game is too much focused on building and looks.

The gameplay is just ignored since the beginning and even after 5 years no big updates have come to it.
    Well maybe except the toddler stage, but come on... I didn't even bought the game before that was released.

I really don't undestand why they're not listeling to the players. They say they do, but in my opinion they still don't.

The statement about "sims 4 is best sold game in the franchise" may be true, but I believe it's only because of new players.
    I don't know that for sure but in my opinion they are putting a lot of effort in marketing to gain new players.
    And that's should be not a bad thing, but because of that effort they put less in gameplay and good develope of the game.

If they're really so focused on the money they still should listen to old players. Yeah, new players will be coming but with fullfilling old players wishes will make them stay, because these days more and more simmers are leaving Sims 4 (which will generate only less and less money for EA).
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
    edited March 2020
    It boils down to this: in 2013 after they scrapped the biggest feature of the entire game (online) what were they left with? Build mode and CAS. The two parts of the game we saw almost exclusively while they did not show live mode at all, since that mode was fully dependent on the internet and other players to be fully realized and basically did not exist anymore.

The developers knew live mode was awful. The new faces who weren’t around back then maybe don’t feel that way, but let’s all take a moment to remember how Maxis had so little confidence in their game’s primary game mode that they refused to show players anything until a petition started getting media attention. Even then all they put out was a short, prerecorded “demo” which mostly served to show off more build mode as well as the gallery.

Sims 4 is EA’s cash cow. They don’t put out a bunch of different releases like they used to, instead they just release a few massively overpriced DLC and condition players into thinking they are getting the best deal since stuff packs come with a few new* animations now.
  • Eoin482Eoin482 Posts: 1 New Member
    Done with buying from EA after this, the prices of these expansions are absolutely criminal. Whether the content could/should be included in the base game is irrelevant when you compare the price to that of other standalone games. Additionally there are many games which support free modding and offer equivalent or better content for nothing. There are micro-transactions which leech off idiots willing to pay for them, and there is EA's tactic of selling half a game and ransoming the parts.